Sign in to follow this  
brentleim

Marcedes Lewis

Sure I drafted him in the last round of the draft because I knew noone was thinking of him but the way they are talking about him in JAX on these first days of camp... could he be the number one guy there in replacement of J. Smith...

I think so... and say draft him now... ;)

click on his highlights... http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/jac/

something about him seems a little stiff to me...so top 5...probably not...

he did get a lot of press during the mini-camp however...so down the road, top 10, potentially i guess...more Td points than yardage points..sort of like the next bubba franks....with jeremy stevens body...

If you think he is top 5 why did you wait until the last round to draft him? and.. are you serious

because its called a value pick. so, if i think that warrick dunn is going to outproduce willie parker, kevin jones, and julius jones, i should draft dunn in the 2nd round? no. thats not how it works. u just wait for the right time where u can pick a guy...u dont just grab guys that u think will do good early as possible, u grab them as late as possible.

By the way, its very possible that he can be a top 5 TE, but i dont see it happening. the jags dont pass that much, and are usually a conservative offense. i think he will be a safety option for leftwich...hes been lookin good at camp, and i wish they would utilize him and let him show off the stud that he is, but the jags rarely pass to the TE.

Sure I drafted him in the last round of the draft because I knew noone was thinking of him but the way they are talking about him in JAX on these first days of camp... could he be the number one guy there in replacement of J. Smith...

I think so... and say draft him now... :blink:

ummmm, no...the JAX passing game has never been good enough and won't be this year to have a top 5 TE...especially with all of the quality TE's out there.

One of the hardest positions for a player to come in and excel at is TE. Gonzo did not break out until his 4th year, A. Gates did it in his second year, etc. I am not sold on Davis so Marcedes Lewis is not on my radar. With your last pick you can't go wrong, he could turn out to be a sleeper. I just shy away from 1st year TEs.

Lewis may be one of the better talents out there, but try not to get too caught up in the rookie hype. Many are ranking Lewis 3rd in this draft class behind Davis and Pope but really nobody knows. What we do know...

1.) Jacksonville was one of 8 teams with 500+ rushing attempts last year.

2.) Of those 8 teams only Jacksonville and Dallas averaged less than 4 yards per carry.

IMO that means Jacksonville (read Del Rio) is fairly stubborn when it comes to sticking with the run. They have a trio of young and up & coming receivers who will account for a great deal of targets when they do pass.

Not saying I don't think he has the potential to be a force. I just see it happening along the normal rookie-3rd year timeline and I see that development being slowed up a bit due to his team's offensive philosophy.

Has he beat out kyle brady for the starting job yet?

kyle brady will be primarily used as a blocker now...marcedes was drafting to be an immediate pass catcher, and brady sucks. he fumbled 3 times in one game, one game!

kyle brady will be primarily used as a blocker now...marcedes was drafting to be an immediate pass catcher, and brady sucks. he fumbled 3 times in one game, one game!

even pass catching TEs have to possess SOME pass catching skills; he doesnt have them yet, pass on him until next year (at the earliest) . . .

ummmm, no...the JAX passing game has never been good enough and won't be this year to have a top 5 TE...especially with all of the quality TE's out there.

Ummm, I guess the same could be said for Heap in Baltimore with that pathetic passing game that has been there for the past couple of years... but when healthy, Heap has been a top performer... and besides, the Jags really dont have any credible WR threat anymore so you could assume they are going to the new kid on the block in their #1 pick...

What im trying to say is that he is below the radar on a lot of FF screens... you maybe able to pick him up with great value...

Could he be one of the top 5 bargains at TE this season? Certainly.

Top 5 overall among TE's? Ehhhhh don't bet on it.

and besides, the Jags really dont have any credible WR threat anymore so you could assume they are going to the new kid on the block in their #1 pick...

As opposed to throwing to their #1 pick from last year, Matt Jones

or their #1 pick from 2004, Reggie Williams

or their third rounder from 2004 who really cam into his own last year, Ernest Wilford.

Taking Lewis in the last round is a good pick with some upside, but don't get carried away because he's now on your team. Did you have him ranked at #5 before you picked him?

Rookie TEs traditionally struggle with very few exceptions, Jeremey Shockey is one of the few who have been successful right away and he is more talented than Lewis. I can see Lewis having a good game or two and hopefully for you it is the week your starter has a bye.

even pass catching TEs have to possess SOME pass catching skills; he doesnt have them yet, pass on him until next year (at the earliest) . . .

u know, they drafted him because he has CRAZY pass catching skills. He does have pass catching skills. i dont know why jax would draft a TE in the first round without pass catching skills. You need to watch his film. already word is out that he has made incredible catches and has perhaps the softest hands on the team.

10 TDs in 2005 and 21 college career TDs. He has really soft hands and can catch the difficult passes.

Check out his video highlights:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/sports?ch=...390&lang=en

:thumbsdown: watch it.

Shhhh.... I'm only 14 days away, and 2 draft picks away from taking him in the 19th round of my new dynasty league.... Shhhhh, Keep it down out there :thumbsdown: MB

He's a bad blocker on a run-first team. He won't start, because they want to run the ball and Brady will give them blocking. He may come in on passing downs, but Jax doesn't pass enough to make him fantasy worthy. And they already have allot of tall WR's to catch the ball in the red zone.

He's a bad blocker on a run-first team.

They should invest in a running back at some point...not such a smart fun-first team to take WRs in the first round in consecutive years and then followup with a TE

They should invest in a running back at some point...not such a smart fun-first team to take WRs in the first round in consecutive years and then followup with a TE

With Jimmy Smith getting older, I think they wisely realized that they needed some sort of passing game, or the running game would just get bogged down.

But they have picked allot of running backs in the last few years (Pearman, Drew, Greg Jones), just no high picks. If none of those guys impresses this year, I'd suspect they invest a high pick on a top RB in next year's draft, or pick up a free agent (Thomas Jones anyone?), since they don't seem that hot on Taylor anymore.

his success depends on how many 2 TE sets they run

Brady is almost done but is still a better blocker and while he's not the greatest receiver he can still get out in routes

i think Lewis wont see that much time on the field without Brady unless he really improves his blocking

i'd look for signs in the preseason but his role will likely hold him back this year

But they have picked allot of running backs in the last few years (Pearman, Drew, Greg Jones), just no high picks

Jones was a 1st, Drew was a 2nd

im surprised they have given up so quickly on Jones being a RB and moved him to FB

it seems like they never even gave the kid a chance

his success depends on how many 2 TE sets they run

Brady is almost done but is still a better blocker and while he's not the greatest receiver he can still get out in routes

i think Lewis wont see that much time on the field without Brady unless he really improves his blocking

i'd look for signs in the preseason but his role will likely hold him back this year

im surprised they have given up so quickly on Jones being a RB and moved him to FB

I meant a top 10 overall pick, but the Jags never finish that poorly.

i live in jax and i can tell you an emphatic NO. Not only would i question his talent level to be top 5, but Byron (dont call me Bryan) Leftwich has never been able to throw to a tight end. Granted Kyle Brady wasnt exactly the prototypical athletic TE, but he was servicable and Byron never found him. Add to that the fact that the Jags are a defensive minded team who rarely scores more than 20 and I would stay away from Lewis.

I meant a top 10 overall pick, but the Jags never finish that poorly.

ahhhh

i doubt they finish that bad this year either.....

JAX does not use their TEs in the red zone.

....never have.

Having said that, I think Marcedes will

be a decent TE in the NFL.

Gates

Gonso

Shockey

Witten

Heap

Who does he supplant??

I dont know enought to say he wont have a good year but I think top 5 may be stretching it a bit.

u lost all of ur credibility right here my friend. Jones was also a 2nd round pick, just like drew. get ur facts straight. :thumbsup: