Sign in to follow this  
Lavard

Williams and Rogers BOTH listed 3rd string for Fri.

:o beat writer says to not read too much into, but when Glenn Martinez and Mike Furrey are listed ahead of you and you're a top 10 pick - it means something!

Depth chart: Williams and Rogers are third string

Notes from Tuesday's morning practice ...

Both Mike Williams and Charles Rogers are listed as third string receivers on the depth chart which is included in the team's weekly press release. Head coach Rod Marinelli wouldn't say much about it except that "he wants everybody to earn their jobs.''

The ranking means something, but don't read too much into it. Eddie Drummond is listed as fourth string and he's already got a job locked up. The problem with the depth chart is that it doesn't have a place for slot receivers like Mike Furrey and Drummond. (By the way, Furrey and Glenn Martinez are the No. 2 receivers on the chart).

http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ss..._08.html#169806

:bandana: beat writer says to not read too much into, but when Glenn Martinez and Mike Furrey are listed ahead of you and you're a top 10 pick - it means something!

Depth chart: Williams and Rogers are third string

Notes from Tuesday's morning practice ...

Both Mike Williams and Charles Rogers are listed as third string receivers on the depth chart which is included in the team's weekly press release. Head coach Rod Marinelli wouldn't say much about it except that "he wants everybody to earn their jobs.''

The ranking means something, but don't read too much into it. Eddie Drummond is listed as fourth string and he's already got a job locked up. The problem with the depth chart is that it doesn't have a place for slot receivers like Mike Furrey and Drummond. (By the way, Furrey and Glenn Martinez are the No. 2 receivers on the chart).

http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ss..._08.html#169806

the way martz runs practices and preseason, there's no way to know the depth chart right now--other than roy is safely #1. they rotate the depth charts on purpose EVERY DAY in camp and have done so--often times within the SAME DAY (from morning to afternoon).

read anything definitive into this at your own peril. it's precisely the reason that if your draft were right now, roy and kj are probably the only 2 guys worth considering. i think that there will be other good ff plays on the roster who will develop once the smokes clears and the offense gels, but it's foolish right now to burn a draft pick on anyone other than roy or kj (maybe kitna for a qb value late).

read anything definitive into this at your own peril. it's precisely the reason that if your draft were right now, roy and kj are probably the only 2 guys worth considering. i think that there will be other good ff plays on the roster who will develop once the smokes clears and the offense gels, but it's foolish right now to burn a draft pick on anyone other than roy or kj (maybe kitna for a qb value late).

I agree. Most intelligent post you have ever made. See we can get along. Stay in the real world. It really is more fun. BTW, this may be the 1st yr I have ever considered drafting a 3rd QB......... Kitna. But, I digress.

If this means anything, I think this says more about FMW than Smokin' Chuckie. Very little positive has been said about him vis-a-vis Smokin' Chuckie.

I agree. Most intelligent post you have ever made. See we can get along. Stay in the real world. It really is more fun. BTW, this may be the 1st yr I have ever considered drafting a 3rd QB......... Kitna. But, I digress.

If this means anything, I think this says more about FMW than Smokin' Chuckie. Very little positive has been said about him vis-a-vis Smokin' Chuckie.

IMO Chuckie is the one on the bubble not Mike - one more crack test and Charles is gone for a year- he has also levelled off at camp - whereas Mike is gaining steam and making plays - I would invest in a younger kid, with less baggage.

See you Charles - we hardly new ya'! :wacko:

Detroit Free Press confirmed this morning:

LIONS TRAINING CAMP: Williams and Rogers drop to 3rd string

BY GEORGE SIPPLE

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

August 9, 2006

When Charles Rogers was held out of a recent morning of drills and Mike Williams spent another session doing repetition after repetition after repetition, Lions coach Rod Marinelli said not to read too much into his strategy.

So what to make of the first depth chart of training camp? Rogers and Williams are both listed as third-string receivers heading into Friday's exhibition opener against the Denver Broncos. Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. at Ford Field.

Williams is slotted behind Roy Williams and Glenn Martinez. Rogers is behind Corey Bradford and Mike Furrey.

Detroit Free Press article

2 1st round busts who both should be prime WR's. However they can't seem to put it together. Mike is slow and apparently has a weight issue and chuck just can't stop smoking pot.

2 1st round busts who both should be prime WR's. However they can't seem to put it together. Mike is slow and apparently has a weight issue and chuck just can't stop smoking pot.

if chuck was still smoking pot, he would be suspended right now. that--a future suspension of a year--is, and will always be, a possibility. but your assertion isn't correct given what is known today.

ditto mike. he doesn't, today, have a weight problem.

whatever the depth chart is or isn't for friday, game 1 of the preseason, has nothing to do with the above items you mention at this time.

except the fact the kid izzzzzz lazy.

"Mike Williams was reportedly fined close to $400,000 throughout last season for tardiness and being overweight.

Right after Williams signed his rookie contract, he was forced to give back a good sum of the first year's money. Not including bonus money, Williams will basically have played his first two seasons, including the upcoming campaign, for free"

And Fragile chuck may not be smoking pot now but he still has yet to show that he can handle the nfl.

"Charles Rogers was included in practice Thursday, but not during the team's two-minute drills.

It's the second straight day where Rogers wasn't included in a three-team rotation. Either the Lions are really trying to push Chuck's buttons or he's not making the team."

"Mike Williams was reportedly fined close to $400,000 throughout last season for tardiness and being overweight.

Right after Williams signed his rookie contract, he was forced to give back a good sum of the first year's money. Not including bonus money, Williams will basically have played his first two seasons, including the upcoming campaign, for free"

And Fragile chuck may not be smoking pot now but he still has yet to show that he can handle the nfl.

"Charles Rogers was included in practice Thursday, but not during the team's two-minute drills.

It's the second straight day where Rogers wasn't included in a three-team rotation. Either the Lions are really trying to push Chuck's buttons or he's not making the team."

old news on mike. again, not the issue TODAY or the issue heading into friday.

Issue is that 2 first round draft picks are the 5th and 6th WR as it looks in training camp, don't read anything into it but according to Lions insider Tony Ortiz thats how they've been playing pretty sad.

here's another WR to keep eye on, especially special teams, Shaun Bodiford, nice story.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ts/15236602.htm

...a little 'matter of fact' in your defense of these guys Swamp. As a big Lions fan, I am sure I read all the same stuff as you and I am not left with a comfortable feeling that a) Chuck does not still smoke and party or B) BMW has matured to the required degree.

What surprises me is that you can't, or won't swallow that these guys are still struggling. If everything was peachy keen they would not be 3rd string(?) - :dunno: Dont recall Holt or Bruce going in 3rd string.

I would be prone to cut my losses and move on if I were Millen, especially Rogers. If this guy had his chit together the staff wouldn't need to play these head games to get him ready. It's sad, yes, but it is what it is. Let Rogers go be great somewhere else - dont care - it's simply not happening here. 4 years or so of history proves it....besides, one guy will not win you a Superbowl, and Chuckie surely is not the Lions gatekeeper.

I think BMW, on the other hand may have the chance to step up and make the squad...time will tell.

At this point, I would draft Furrey over both of them and save myself some aggravation. :doublethumbsup:

At this point, I would draft Furrey over both of them and save myself some aggravation. :doublethumbsup:

When a converted safety is above you on the depth chart at WR, that's a serious indictment of Rogers and Williams' approach to the game.

Incredible.

...a little 'matter of fact' in your defense of these guys Swamp. As a big Lions fan, I am sure I read all the same stuff as you and I am not left with a comfortable feeling that a) Chuck does not still smoke and party or B) BMW has matured to the required degree.

What surprises me is that you can't, or won't swallow that these guys are still struggling. If everything was peachy keen they would not be 3rd string(?) - :dunno: Dont recall Holt or Bruce going in 3rd string.

I would be prone to cut my losses and move on if I were Millen, especially Rogers. If this guy had his chit together the staff wouldn't need to play these head games to get him ready. It's sad, yes, but it is what it is. Let Rogers go be great somewhere else - dont care - it's simply not happening here. 4 years or so of history proves it....besides, one guy will not win you a Superbowl, and Chuckie surely is not the Lions gatekeeper.

I think BMW, on the other hand may have the chance to step up and make the squad...time will tell.

At this point, I would draft Furrey over both of them and save myself some aggravation. :)

i'm not defending these guys, just clarifying comments. chuck in particular looks to be in trouble based on the most recent print news stories.

the only lion wr i'd draft at all right now is roy. i think there are some guys who will contribute nicely in a football sense when it's all done (bradford, furrey, drummond even, possibly even mike) but it's impossible to know of the ff potential in the group after roy at the moment.

When a converted safety is above you on the depth chart at WR, that's a serious indictment of Rogers and Williams' approach to the game.

Incredible.

rogers and williams were never going to play slot in martz's offense--no matter what. it's an apples and oranges thing.

Matt Millen is the Isaiah Thomas of football. That is all.

rogers and williams were never going to play slot in martz's offense--no matter what. it's an apples and oranges thing.

Please. I don't care if it's the slot or the wide position, if there's an obviously less talented, less heralded player above you on the depth chart -- who again played on the defensive side of the ball last year -- that speaks volumes to your mental approach to the game.

Please. I don't care if it's the slot or the wide position, if there's an obviously less talented, less heralded player above you on the depth chart -- who again played on the defensive side of the ball last year -- that speaks volumes to your mental approach to the game.

you can criticize mike and chuck all you want--and there's plenty to find to do so. so much so that you really don't need to stretch on this one issue: the slot is a different animal completely. it's the same as saying that there's an outside linebacker ahead of a de on the depth chart as a way of badmouthing the de.

Incredible.

Furrey was an Arena League WR who made the Rams a few years back as their 5th guy. They converted him to safety last year because he wasn't going to beat out Curtis, Macdonald or Looker so he would have been the 6th WR. He knows Martz' offense plus he is a good ST player which helps his case.

you can criticize mike and chuck all you want--and there's plenty to find to do so. so much so that you really don't need to stretch on this one issue: the slot is a different animal completely. it's the same as saying that there's an outside linebacker ahead of a de on the depth chart as a way of badmouthing the de.

C'mon swamp, you're smarter than that. But I'll play along.

Assuming your argument is valid, it's still an indictment of both Rogers and Williams when they, being the highly-touted 1st rounders they are, can't beat out a journeyman WR in Corey Bradford, who had a difficult time cracking the starting line-up of the Texans the last 4 years.

Bottom line: Rogers is too far gone mentally to ever make an impact in Detroit, or perhaps any other NFL city for that matter, and FMW was simply a wasted draft pick, period.

C'mon swamp, you're smarter than that. But I'll play along.

Assuming your argument is valid, it's still an indictment of both Rogers and Williams when they, being the highly-touted 1st rounders they are, can't beat out a journeyman WR in Corey Bradford, who had a difficult time cracking the starting line-up of the Texans the last 4 years.

Bottom line: Rogers is too far gone mentally to ever make an impact in Detroit, or perhaps any other NFL city for that matter, and FMW was simply a wasted draft pick, period.

okay, now you're comparing apples to apples. so yes, you have a right to question and criticize based on the above.

but re-read the original news report: don't read too much into the depth chart heading into the first preseason game. you and i both know that these two guys are damned-if-they-do and damned-if-they-don't: if they disappear tomorrow night or don't do much, everyone will say "ah! see? they both suck!" if they do well people will say "it means nothing: it's only preseason."

here's camp pics from yesterday. click on pics #5 and #7 and tell me mike williams looks fat:

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_displ...ument_id=446606

a mike martz quote on this specific situation (from detlions.com):

"His response to the performances of Rogers and Mike Williams is one word: 'Good.' And what do we read into their being on the third unit? One word: "Nothing.'"

a mike martz quote on this specific situation (from detlions.com):

"His response to the performances of Rogers and Mike Williams is one word: 'Good.' And what do we read into their being on the third unit? One word: "Nothing.'"

A Mack 1 quote on this specific situation (from FFToday.com):

What's Mack 1's response to Mike Martz's assertion that there's "nothing" to Rogers and Williams being on the third team: "BULLSH!T."

:(

A Mack 1 quote on this specific situation (from FFToday.com):

What's Mack 1's response to Mike Martz's assertion that there's "nothing" to Rogers and Williams being on the third team: "BULLSH!T."

:headbanger:

perhaps. but don't be offended if i go off what martz is saying and not mack.