Sign in to follow this  
mggoilers

San Fran RB situation

This is pretty interesting going into preseason, but you never know.

Q: What have you learned about RB Kevan Barlow’s motivation?

Mike Nolan:

“When I took this job, I was painted a picture about him and after speaking with him, talking about the issues, he has not been a distraction to our football team. He has not verbally said things that will get him into trouble. Some of that is credit to our PR staff who is trying to help him close his mouth before the trouble hits. I know that’s a frustration to you guys, because you want to see him put the old size-13 in the mouth, but he’s done a great job of that. He’s come to work, done his thing. His work has been good. I wouldn’t stay it’s outstanding, but his work is good. I think the biggest thing is that the distraction that he was before, has not been since I’ve been here. He’s done a good job and he’s clearly our best back.”

The full Q and A can be found here

http://www.fflivewire.com/Article.asp?ID=j...y%20Q%20and%20A

also available on sf49ers.com

I think we've all seen Gore play to know he outplays Barlow 10 to 1

I think this is a bit of a stretch! :blink:

Whoever is named the starting RB for SF, could have some upside. SF's line is improved and healthy and Norv Tyrner will be a big benefit to the running game and whoever the starting RB is. The RB could be a decent #3 or #4 RB on your team...but most will not admit that. I like Barlow to start at the beginning of trhe season with a little bit of Gore...then maybe seeing more of Gore as the season goes on. :shocking:

I love all the fantasy-hate towards SF and Barlow.

I'll gladly draft him in the 9th or 10th round.

SF is young and improving.

Their O-line is better than last year.

They play in a soft division.

Norv Turner gives his RBs tons of work/touches.

Barlow will be a perfect #3 RB for your fantasy team and he's a bargain at his current ADP.

Barlow will be a perfect #3 RB for your fantasy team and he's a bargain at his current ADP.

i agree with you. would you still try to grab gore as well?

One guy in my league grabbed Gore in the 6th and Barlow in the 8th.

Good move.

Frank Gore is NOT going to be the Niners feature back. And I guarentee that.

Best Gore can do when Barlow is healthy is get 60 percent of the carries.

i agree with you. would you still try to grab gore as well?

sure.

I love the idea of grabbing them both late.

All you're looking for is a #3RB.

Riceman, 6th and 8th is a bit early for me... if I could get them 8th/9th I'd be happy.

Problem is if you want Barlow fine, you can get him later. However if you want to add Gore, he will go before Barlow does, so you have to drop an early pick on a guy who actually at best will split carries. I will stay away from both and just take a shot at the one who drops and shows the most value

49ers coach Mike Nolan said Kevan Barlow's work ethic is "good," not "outstanding."

"That doesn't bother me because he's a talented guy," Nolan said. Still, Nolan constantly praises Frank Gore's work ethic and easy to see that Gore is "his guy." We expect to see Barlow grow into a third-down role.

This was after Nolan met privately with Frank Gore and said, 'The job is your's but I have to ship this Barlow bum outta here and get some sort of value for him. Looks like the Jets are desperate so I am going to come out of this meeting and proclaim Barlow the great savior and see if the Jets bite'.

Gore: :mad:

Nolan: :(

Except that division has 2 of the top 10 rushing defenses last year (Ari and Sea) yardage wise....Arizona went downhill later and did give up TDs.

Imagine that....everything I've been saying about the Barlow/Gore situation, and yet some are so stupid that they blindly believe Gore will be "the man" because Fox Sports or Roto says he will and because he upped his YPC in garbage time gaves against 2nd string defenses towards the end of last year. Stats tell it all I guess. :yawn:

Barlow is a more complete back, is healthier, bigger, and a much better receiver. He has more power and is a better blocker. Further he doesn't have 2 bionic knees and 2 bionic shoulders.

Gore will play. Barlow will play. Hicks will play. Barlow, barring injury, will be an outstanding #3 RB behind one of the best O-Lines in the NFC (Allen/Jennings = 600 lbs of blocking) and in two TE sets with DBs covering Bryant, Eric Johnson, Battle & VDavis there will be a lot more room opened up for Barlow.

The one thing that Gore (and even Hicks) does better than Barlow is the "one cut & gone" move...Barlow is more of a "patient, wait for the play to develop" type runner, and when there's no offense around him, this makes him look like he's dancing - that 1 and gone style is great for a RB that has no line. Now that the Niners have retooled the offense around the run, Barlow is going to make a lot of haters eat thier words.

I still envision a RBBC, but Barlow will be the man on 1st & 2nd downs, and many times 3rd for receiving. Gore/Hicks will be change of pace backs or will spell Barlow. I see Barlow getting 65% of the carries. Projection: 1300 total yards, 9 TDs. 8th round bargain and gold for a flex back.

But that's ok....don't listen to the homer even though I've been spot on about him back to when I said he'd be a 2004 bust...go ahead and waste that 6th round pick on Gore so I can come back and laugh at your blind arrogance later. :banana:

hey, I'm on the Barlow band-wagon... but 1300, 9 is pretty optimistic

I'll be happy with 1000 and 6-7.

Let me know when Barlow can do this to a defense. Hint: NEVER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLUTiVJbYXM

Hint: read my post. Garbage time, against 2nd string defenses, Gore looks like the next Payton.

Barlow is a better, more complete back. And Barlow dragged several defenders 5 or 6 extra yards several times last year. While no denying that was a great play (I was yelling at my TV and cheering when that happened) it is not proof of anything. Barlow is indeed a more powerful runner. It's why when he had a team around him he averaged 5 yards per carry.

I can't speak for others, but I am getting pretty tired of your hyperbole and 1 liner posts attacking barlow and pumping Gore. It's asinine, and when it goes against everything coming out of Niners camp makes you look a bit silly.

There's no denying Gore's talent. There's also no denying his lack of durability. It is highly unlikely that he will ever be "the man" because of the latter. Niners have already as much as stated that if Barlow goes down, it will be a RBBC of Gore/Hicks because they do not want to give Gore that heavy of a load based on his injury history.

Some of us prefer to look at the big picture. Gore's a nice player and he was a good value in the 3rd round of the draft. But he's not a feature back because he's not durable.

But that's ok....don't listen to the homer even though I've been spot on about him back to when I said he'd be a 2004 bust...

I wouldn't pat yourself on the back for that. Every intelligent FF player knows that without a surrounding offense, the starting RB will NOT be a RB1 and should go in the 2nd round/3rd round. If he's being drafted as one, he's overvalued. Barlow lost Garcia/Owens. McGahee lost Bledsoe/Price. I stayed away from Barlow in 2004, and away from McGahee in 2005.

Weirdly enough, 2006 doesn't seem to offer a version like that. The top 10 RBs via AntSports (LJ, SA, LT, Portis, Barber, Edge, SJax, LaMont, Ronnie Brown, and Rudi) all have competent to explosive offenses around them. Sure, some of them have questions (Rivers, Barber's age, Edge's O-Line, Brooks, Brown's first season, Palmer's health), but none of them are surrounded by the pathetic offenses of the 2004 49ers and 2005 Bills.

Yes, you're a SF homer, but I don't view your information as any more informed as well respected fantasy sites. They may differ, and I happen to believe Roto over what you're saying. Does that guarantee they're right? No, but we're hardly idiots just because we don't believe what you're saying. :D

"Barlow is not a bust" -Barlow

"Yes he is" -everyone else

Well, he wasn't a first round draft pick or anything. Expectations for him coming out of college were that he might some day be a serviceable back.

There's no doubt he was a fantasy bust a couple of years ago based on the expectations placed on him at that time, but overall, his career has not been a total bust given what most people felt he was capable of.

But, no, he hasn't been a star.

hey, I'm on the Barlow band-wagon... but 1300, 9 is pretty optimistic

I'll be happy with 1000 and 6-7.

Total yards.

Barlow is relied upon heavily in the receiving game, and I believe Turner will capitalize on this. When D's are trying to contain the speedy & huge Davis and Bryant, Barlow will be a great screen back. In his "bust" year of 2004 that has everyone hating on him for the rest of his career, Barlow amassed 1033 total yds (822/212) and 7 TDs.

That was behind a crappy O-Line with Lloyd/Battle at WR, and Rattay at QB.

Now they have a HUGE O-Line, a far better receiving corps and a developing young QB - they've also abandoned the WCO. Why is it unrealistic for Barlow to surpass those numbers now that he has a team around him? :cheers:

Your upside seems to be worse than Barlow put up in his "bust" year....this is why the hype against Barlow seems to taint people's judgement. I think perpective is important here. No one seems to want to look at the big picture: team around him, the fact that he still had a solid RB2 type year in 2004 when the hype indicates he was a William Green type bust...I don't see it. But like I said, I am a big perspective guy.

I don't think 1300 combine with 9 is unrealistic...but I still think it's RBBC with Barlow getting 60% of the touches. As a fan I certainly hope Gore is the beast that everyone thinks he is though.

I wouldn't pat yourself on the back for that. Every intelligent FF player knows that without a surrounding offense, the starting RB will NOT be a RB1 and should go in the 2nd round/3rd round. If he's being drafted as one, he's overvalued. Barlow lost Garcia/Owens. McGahee lost Bledsoe/Price. I stayed away from Barlow in 2004, and away from McGahee in 2005.

Weirdly enough, 2006 doesn't seem to offer a version like that. The top 10 RBs via AntSports (LJ, SA, LT, Portis, Barber, Edge, SJax, LaMont, Ronnie Brown, and Rudi) all have competent to explosive offenses around them. Sure, some of them have questions (Rivers, Barber's age, Edge's O-Line, Brooks, Brown's first season, Palmer's health), but none of them are surrounded by the pathetic offenses of the 2004 49ers and 2005 Bills.

Yes, you're a SF homer, but I don't view your information as any more informed as well respected fantasy sites. They may differ, and I happen to believe Roto over what you're saying. Does that guarantee they're right? No, but we're hardly idiots just because we don't believe what you're saying. :D

Never said you were. But your "respected sites" all had Barlow as a top 12 back (FFT had him 10th overall) without a team around him.

Not patting myself on the back, but give credit where due: I was the only one on this site not pimping Barlow in 2004. To those who listened to me at the time, you're welcome. :P

There's no doubt he was a fantasy bust a couple of years ago based on the expectations placed on him at that time, but overall, his career has not been a total bust given what most people felt he was capable of.

Thank you Fumbles - this is exactly my point.

It's like the operator game...word of Barlow's bust 2004 has become gospel, and people tend to say the word without considering 1. the circumstances surrounding him, and 2. the fact that he still managed a very decent season in 2004, just not a RB1 type monster season that everyone projected.

Most "experts" and "expert sites" projected that with such a bad team around him, he'd be the centerpiece and would have to carry the offense.

Some of us (not many) looked at that line & defense and knew there was no chance for greatness. I am actually a bit shocked he managed 1000+ total yds and 7 TDs.

But well said - he wasn't so much a bust as he failed to meet people's lofty expectations.

Never said you were. But your "respected sites" all had Barlow as a top 12 back (FFT had him 10th overall) without a team around him.

This is true. They also had McGahee really high last year. In fact, I think FFT predicted he'd lead the league in rushing yards if I remember correctly? The difference with Rotoworld is they have players ranked close to their ADP, and then they further explain if they're a good value or worth avoiding at that spot. For example, they have Tiki in the top 8 this year, but explain that they wouldn't draft him this year due to the belief he'll start to show his age this season.

Not patting myself on the back, but give credit where due: I was the only one on this site not pimping Barlow in 2004. To those who listened to me at the time, you're welcome. :cheers:

I definitely agreed with you on that. :D

Hint: read my post. Garbage time, against 2nd string defenses, Gore looks like the next Payton.

Barlow is a better, more complete back. And Barlow dragged several defenders 5 or 6 extra yards several times last year. While no denying that was a great play (I was yelling at my TV and cheering when that happened) it is not proof of anything. Barlow is indeed a more powerful runner. It's why when he had a team around him he averaged 5 yards per carry.

I can't speak for others, but I am getting pretty tired of your hyperbole and 1 liner posts attacking barlow and pumping Gore. It's asinine, and when it goes against everything coming out of Niners camp makes you look a bit silly.

There's no denying Gore's talent. There's also no denying his lack of durability. It is highly unlikely that he will ever be "the man" because of the latter. Niners have already as much as stated that if Barlow goes down, it will be a RBBC of Gore/Hicks because they do not want to give Gore that heavy of a load based on his injury history.

Some of us prefer to look at the big picture. Gore's a nice player and he was a good value in the 3rd round of the draft. But he's not a feature back because he's not durable.

LMAO. You are TOTALLY clueless. That's Bob Sanders, Jason David in there TRYING to tackle Frank Gore. 2nd string? 6 minutes into the 2nd Q week 5? You are an idiot. Don't even try and match football knowledge with me because I will make a fool of you every time. Just like now.

Not durable huh? Do you even realize he was running with 2 bad shoulders? RUNNING. Barlow would have requested IR if his shoulders were hurt.

You have been 100% OWNED.

LMAO. You are TOTALLY clueless. That's Bob Sanders, Jason David in there TRYING to tackle Frank Gore. 2nd string? 6 minutes into the 2nd Q week 5? You are an idiot. Don't even try and match football knowledge with me because I will make a fool of you every time. Just like now.

Not durable huh? Do you even realize he was running with 2 bad shoulders? RUNNING. Barlow would have requested IR if his shoulders were hurt.

You have been 100% OWNED.

Uh, no.

You keep on spouting hyperbole. One play doesn't represent a player's resume. Your projecting that one play to a whole season while simultaneously ignoring everything that Nolan & Co have been saying....yeah, that's smart. Not.

As for being owned, he was not "running with 2 bad shoulders" on that play. You say I'm "TOTALLY clueless" when your post is a fiction. He hurt his shoulders later in the year, and subsequently missed 2 games as a result. LOOK IT UP, CHUMP.

Are you just making sh!t up to sound smart now?

;)

either that or you're just spouting nonsense to hear yourself spout.

Talk about being "owned", I'd say it's the guy who just got caught in a lie. Do me & the rest of the faithful a favor and start rooting for AZ. :ninja:

Imagine that....everything I've been saying about the Barlow/Gore situation, and yet some are so stupid that they blindly believe Gore will be "the man" because Fox Sports or Roto says he will and because he upped his YPC in garbage time gaves against 2nd string defenses towards the end of last year. Stats tell it all I guess. :yawn:

Barlow is a more complete back, is healthier, bigger, and a much better receiver. He has more power and is a better blocker. Further he doesn't have 2 bionic knees and 2 bionic shoulders.

Gore will play. Barlow will play. Hicks will play. Barlow, barring injury, will be an outstanding #3 RB behind one of the best O-Lines in the NFC (Allen/Jennings = 600 lbs of blocking) and in two TE sets with DBs covering Bryant, Eric Johnson, Battle & VDavis there will be a lot more room opened up for Barlow.

The one thing that Gore (and even Hicks) does better than Barlow is the "one cut & gone" move...Barlow is more of a "patient, wait for the play to develop" type runner, and when there's no offense around him, this makes him look like he's dancing - that 1 and gone style is great for a RB that has no line. Now that the Niners have retooled the offense around the run, Barlow is going to make a lot of haters eat thier words.

I still envision a RBBC, but Barlow will be the man on 1st & 2nd downs, and many times 3rd for receiving. Gore/Hicks will be change of pace backs or will spell Barlow. I see Barlow getting 65% of the carries. Projection: 1300 total yards, 9 TDs. 8th round bargain and gold for a flex back.

But that's ok....don't listen to the homer even though I've been spot on about him back to when I said he'd be a 2004 bust...go ahead and waste that 6th round pick on Gore so I can come back and laugh at your blind arrogance later. ;)

They are 49ers. Stay away from both. :ninja:

Uh, no.

You keep on spouting hyperbole. One play doesn't represent a player's resume. Your projecting that one play to a whole season while simultaneously ignoring everything that Nolan & Co have been saying....yeah, that's smart. Not.

As for being owned, he was not "running with 2 bad shoulders" on that play. You say I'm "TOTALLY clueless" when your post is a fiction. He hurt his shoulders later in the year, and subsequently missed 2 games as a result. LOOK IT UP, CHUMP.

Are you just making sh!t up to sound smart now?

:unsure:

either that or you're just spouting nonsense to hear yourself spout.

Talk about being "owned", I'd say it's the guy who just got caught in a lie. Do me & the rest of the faithful a favor and start rooting for AZ. :thumbsdown:

Scooter - what exactly do you get for being Barlow's biggest supporter? The post you're responding to above was answering your REPEATED (what feels like hundreds of times) statement that Gore's yards were gained during garbage time. This run was not during garbage time.

I feel truly sorry for the Jets if they take Barlow, Martin on one leg is better (unless you have a pro-bowl QB and the #1 or 2 WR in the league on your team AND another runner to take the non-garbage time runs)

Ever notice how you never mention that in the one year that Barlow almost got within a hundred yards of breaking a thousand yards rushing, HE was in the 'garbage time' role you label Gore with last year?

Scooter - what exactly do you get for being Barlow's biggest supporter? The post you're responding to above was answering your REPEATED (what feels like hundreds of times) statement that Gore's yards were gained during garbage time. This run was not during garbage time.

Please quote for me where I ever said that this run was in garbage time?

I did not. what I've said consistently is that Gore's lofty projections are based on his YPC, which is largely based on garbage time carries.

What do you get for misrepresenting my post, the d0uche of the year award? Here ya go => :dunno:

Also curious as to what you get for being LOD01's alias, but that's a question for another day.

I feel truly sorry for the Jets if they take Barlow, Martin on one leg is better (unless you have a pro-bowl QB and the #1 or 2 WR in the league on your team AND another runner to take the non-garbage time runs)

Ever notice how you never mention that in the one year that Barlow almost got within a hundred yards of breaking a thousand yards rushing, HE was in the 'garbage time' role you label Gore with last year?

^^^^^

Pure 100% stupidy. Good luck with that.

Fact is that Barlow/Hearst were a RBBC. Neither was used in garbage time, both were used regularly throughout the games/season. Once again, you misrepresent reality. Too bad I have facts on my side, because it really makes you sound like a no nothing schmuck when you prattle off idiocy of this magnitude.

I generally try to be civil towards people on this site, but your post begs for this sort of response. Go read a book or something, because clearly football is not for you. It's a sport for men. Just a suggestion, Sally.

And for the record, I am not Barlow's biggest supporter. I do not rip on Gore. I like Gore and hope he does well. But in the face of all of the negative exaggeration about Barlow, and recently in reaction to all the starry eyed blatherings about Gore based on the stats he produced largely when play was irrelevant, last year, someone needs to step up and help people realize that it will more than likely be fools gold either way, because Barlow and Gore both have talent and it will be a RBBC. Someone needs to point out the circumstances surrounding Barlow that have led to his unsuccessful run. someone who can show a bit of perspective that those hyping either player seem to lack.

Realism: look into it.

But that's ok - you keep your head firmly planted up your arse...I'm sure you'll go far in life like that.

Calm down Scooter, I'm pretty sure Barlow will let you keep blowing him even if you take a break from your ceaseless efforts to raise his ADP.

Since you asked (and this is just in this thread)

Please quote for me where I ever said that this run was in garbage time? When the link was posted it was in response to you're statements that Gore's YPC was based on garbage time runs, repeated by you below

I did not. what I've said consistently is that Gore's lofty projections are based on his YPC, which is largely based on garbage time carries.

What do you get for misrepresenting my post, the d0uche of the year award? Here ya go => :first:

Wow, nice trophy, bet it's not the only thing you give yourself when you think about Barlow

Also curious as to what you get for being LOD01's alias, but that's a question for another day.

^^^^^

Pure 100% stupidy. Good luck with that.

Fact is that Barlow/Hearst were a RBBC. Neither was used in garbage time, both were used regularly throughout the games/season. Once again, you misrepresent reality. Too bad I have facts on my side, because it really makes you sound like a no nothing schmuck when you prattle off idiocy of this magnitude.

You are f-ing retarded, you really think that garbage time was created when Gore joined the 49ers? The same reasons you discount Gore's success with Barlow as the #1 back last year can be used to discount Barlow's success with Hearst as the #1 in 2003. Can your 3 year old reading level get this?

I generally try to be civil towards people on this site, but your post begs for this sort of response. Go read a book or something, because clearly football is not for you. It's a sport for men. Just a suggestion, Sally. lol, I'm guessing that no one in the real world knows what a tough stud you are, I'm guessing everyone else sees a puss that couldn't play or fight his way out of a wet paper bag, but please keep calling me a sally.

And for the record, I am not Barlow's biggest supporter. I do not rip on Gore. I like Gore and hope he does well. But in the face of all of the negative exaggeration about Barlow, and recently in reaction to all the starry eyed blatherings about Gore based on the stats he produced largely when play was irrelevant, last year, someone needs to step up and help people realize that it will more than likely be fools gold either way, because Barlow and Gore both have talent and it will be a RBBC. Someone needs to point out the circumstances surrounding Barlow that have led to his unsuccessful run. someone who can show a bit of perspective that those hyping either player seem to lack.

Realism: look into it. count the number posts you written talking up Barlow, it's more than everyone else on fftoday, you are his biggest supporter (insert very manly trophy here)

But that's ok - you keep your head firmly planted up your arse...I'm sure you'll go far in life like that. thanks, here's a tip for you, keep Barlow's head planted firmly up your arse

Everyone but scooter that has read this, sorry about this mess. I'm going to follow a wiser friend's advice and not argue with an idiot anymore (outsiders have a hard time telling which one is the idiot when you insist on doing this).

Post ad naseum regarding Barlow (no team around him the past 2 years while he sucked) and Gore (no defenses in front of him last year while he did well) Scooter, keep 'educating' the masses, I'm taking a break from wasted posts.