Sign in to follow this  
Let Da Big Dog Eat

Greenway Injury

Why, oh why would anyone have their 1st Rd draft pick running down and busting wedges on KO's in pre season? I love what Childress did for my Badgers but this seems to me to be a totally boneheaded assignment for Greenway. I don't get it. :doh: :wall:

all these young guys earn their stripes on special teams. all teams do it. you honestly going to coddle a first-round pick who plays defense and tell the rest of your team "this guy is a special, special linebacker and he doesn't have to do the grunt work you other people do"? you handle qbs that way, maybe. but even rbs take their turn on special teams in most cases.

i heard a third-hand report this morning that he's done for the year, but i haven't seen a link yet.

unfortunate. the vikings, like the lions, need all the help they can get at linebacker.

Wow, I did not know there were so few Vikes fans out there. Guess both of them are at the game. Someone please tell them it's over. :D :P

I'll bite. I'm not going to buy into a preseason game, but this is just facts of football. If the Vikings front four and secondary play as well as it appears they can in Mike Tomlin's system, the poor linebacking problems the Vikings have had will be not nearly as crucial.

i heard a third-hand report this morning that he's done for the year, but i haven't seen a link yet.

This is probably correct.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/614644.html

all these young guys earn their stripes on special teams. all teams do it. you honestly going to coddle a first-round pick who plays defense and tell the rest of your team "this guy is a special, special linebacker and he doesn't have to do the grunt work you other people do"? you handle qbs that way, maybe. but even rbs take their turn on special teams in most cases.

unfortunate. the vikings, like the lions, need all the help they can get at linebacker.

No...all the teams do not throw their 1st round draft pick...drafted 17th overall...on special teams.

Later picks...yes....17th pick...not so much.

Here's the easy explanation..... Hawkeye playing for a Badger. The Hawks beat the Badgers one too many times while Greenway was playing at Iowa. It's payback time...

Just kidding, but an interesting theory. :D

completely wrong

you dont see Sims out there handling KOs do you?

how about AJ Hawk, Manny Lawson, Bobby Carpenter?

i dont see them stepping on the field for KOs

LATE draft picks that have to go out there to make the team handle that stuff..... not a high pick

he was selected that high because he is a talented LB, not because he can cover kicks :thumbsup:

completely wrong

LATE draft picks that have to go out there to make the team handle that stuff..... not a high pick

he was selected that high because he is a talented LB, not because he can cover kicks :P

Bingo.....

Wasn't the reason that K2 missed nearly all of his rookie year because he broke his leg in a kickoff return in like the 1st or 2nd game?

It does happen.

seems to me that an injury can happen anywhere whether it be on special teams or playing linebacker. they saw that greenway could be utilized on special teams probably because he's fairly quick for a linebacker and decided to take advantage of his skills. would it make you happier if he got injured while playing defense?

seems to me that an injury can happen anywhere whether it be on special teams or playing linebacker. they saw that greenway could be utilized on special teams probably because he's fairly quick for a linebacker and decided to take advantage of his skills. would it make you happier if he got injured while playing defense?

not that im a Vikes fan but yes

95% of all KO coverage teams are reserve players that barely see the field elswhere

OK, so Greenway is quick for a LB..... how is that justification for putting him in on ST?

think of the impact this has on the defense now, instead of using his quickness there where it is much more useful they have to plug in some 2nd string guy that isn't as well rounded and now becomes a liability in the defense

is it worth losing your 1st draft pick to slightly improve your coverage unit?

that same LB that now is a hole on your D could have easily done the exact same thing for the KO unit

You can't game plan scared. You've got to put your best players in the position to make plays. He was obviously one of the best kick coverage guys, so they were playing him there. Just a freak accident.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/N...0040919_CLE@DAL

And I was right, Winslow got hurt in the second game of his rookie year while the Browns were trying to recover an onside kick. The coach should never have put him on the onside kick team, right? In fact, why don't we surround all first round picks with bubble-wrap so they never get hurt?

why would deion sanders be a kick returner then? wouldn't it be too dangerous for him to be on the field during with the special teams units? yes i know deion caught the ball and returned it for tds, but the same logic applies. deion was important to his team on special teams just as greenway (albeit as a possible wedge buster) was looked at as being valuable to his. special teams plays are every bit as important as any other plays. just because you cant get fantasy stats out of them in most cases, doesnt mean they're not important plays.

why would deion sanders be a kick returner then? wouldn't it be too dangerous for him to be on the field during with the special teams units? yes i know deion caught the ball and returned it for tds, but the same logic applies. deion was important to his team on special teams just as greenway (albeit as a possible wedge buster) was looked at as being valuable to his. special teams plays are every bit as important as any other plays. just because you cant get fantasy stats out of them in most cases, doesnt mean they're not important plays.

Being a kick returner is a bit different than a guy running down the field to break up the wedge.

There is a reason why this is generally done by the lower draft picks...not the 17th overall pick.

yes...people can get hurt on defense...but if you look at alot of injuries in the NFL...Id say more occur on special teams (if you take per play and not overall numbers as there are more defensive plays in a game)...than on normal defense.

Nobody is saying they are not important plays. But preseason game 1 is most certainly not a time you would usually see your #1 pick out there gunning to break up the wedge.

You can't game plan scared. You've got to put your best players in the position to make plays. He was obviously one of the best kick coverage guys, so they were playing him there. Just a freak accident.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/N...0040919_CLE@DAL

And I was right, Winslow got hurt in the second game of his rookie year while the Browns were trying to recover an onside kick. The coach should never have put him on the onside kick team, right? In fact, why don't we surround all first round picks with bubble-wrap so they never get hurt?

Again...a difference between the onside kick guys...and wedgebusting on a kickoff.

Its not about game planning scared...its about game planning smart.

"I just planted, and something kind of just happened where I twisted me knee," Greenway said.

I guess Chad's getting an early start on National "Talk Like a Pirate" Day!

I'm truly sad to see this happen. I hate the Hawkeyes and Vikings, but Greenway was a neat kid and a great story. He was a state champion QB on an 8-man team in South Dakota, recruited to Iowa for his athleticism. As always, I'm alligned with those against SD in this argument; you don't see young 1st rounders acting the part of wedge-buster on kick-off coverage teams. Amazing...

yeah... nice argument there

a KR/PR player actually needs to have some skills, you cant just plug any old player in there and have the same results

as well, the normal ammount of returns players get is typically very low

Steve Smith only had 24 returns all season including a few KOs as well as PRs

on average a team kicks off what, 4-5 times a game.... likely more

you can throw in any old LB and have him run down the field for those KOs and do the same thing, hell put a back-up S in there as well and you get the same result

tell me, what is so special about running down field and smashing into a guy in the wedge that Greenway becomes so much better than his backup?

basically they just spent what, 5 mil on a guy to break up a wedge.... doesnt sound too smart to me

completely wrong

he was selected that high because he is a talented LB, not because he can cover kicks :cry:

marinelli had sims playing special teams the other night. more teams do this than you think. you think you can have a roster full of guys who just play special teams and nothing else? that's not an option in the nfl.

marinelli had sims playing special teams the other night. more teams do this than you think. you think you can have a roster full of guys who just play special teams and nothing else? that's not an option in the nfl.

In what capacity was Sims playing on special teams?

Nobody is thinking or saying that they can have a roster full of guys who just play special teams (there is that typical Swamp arguing something that not one person has ever claimed again).

However...your first round draft picks...who you expect to contribute on your defense right away...are generally not out there doing what Greenway was doing.

Special teams is generally made up of backups...and if rookies...the later round picks. Not the 17th overall pick in the draft.

Being a kick returner is a bit different than a guy running down the field to break up the wedge.

There is a reason why this is generally done by the lower draft picks...not the 17th overall pick.

yes...people can get hurt on defense...but if you look at alot of injuries in the NFL...Id say more occur on special teams (if you take per play and not overall numbers as there are more defensive plays in a game)...than on normal defense.

Nobody is saying they are not important plays. But preseason game 1 is most certainly not a time you would usually see your #1 pick out there gunning to break up the wedge.

Again...a difference between the onside kick guys...and wedgebusting on a kickoff.

Its not about game planning scared...its about game planning smart.

Exactly my point. I don't know how anyone can equaate a Deion who had immense ability to "take it to the house" thus changing the game with a wedge buster. Nor can one equate a "hands team" player whose job it is to jump on a ball to a wedge buster. Wedge busting is not a unique ability. Moreover, this is the first preseason game folks. If it was the SB it would be different (still would not make sense but understandable). They drafted Greenway to be an impact LB, a position of need and this just seems like a worthless risk.

if thats how u feel then maybe this thread should talk about whether or not there should even be preseason games

Huh?

No...it should be about whether or not you put guys like a Greenway in what is a high risk position.

Injuries will happen...the point...since you seem to have missed a very simple point...is that you generally do not see a #17 overall pick busting up the wedge on special teams in the preseason. That is typically where your backups or later round draft picks are trying to contribute to make the team.

coaches do what they want to do, and what they think is right, its as easy as that. 95% of the time the guy can play special teams and never get hurt, the kid got a bad break. Maybe childress learned something from it, if anything.

everyone in this thread that is worked up about is a viking hater, imagine that.

everyone in this thread that is worked up about is a viking hater, imagine that.

That's a jump. I am a Packer fan true but that does not mean I am a Viking hater. This thread is about whether it is smart to have your first RD pick busting up wedges and getting exposed to unnecessary injury risk. In fact, in the original post I showed man love for Childress.

so if reggie bush, who was the number 2 pick, is out there returning kicks then this is okay because he can possibly score your fantasy team some points. is this the point that you guys cant get around? i understand where you all are coming from and im not trying to belittle anyone by saying they missed a simple point, but sometimes i think people forget that the nfl is not played strictly for fantasy purposes. i think it's ridiculous to say that a number seventeen draft pick shouldn't play special teams bcuz he might get hurt. why would he even show up at the games?

if thats how u feel then maybe this thread should talk about whether or not there should even be preseason games

people argue this but all i can say is DONT PLAY YOUR ###### STARTERS

the preseason is there to get the team on the same page and see what those players on the bubble can do, just let your starters sit

Portis after his injury was claiming that they need to get rid of preseason games..... well no, the coach can just sit his starters instead and its the same deal

let the other guys get reps in and see what they can do

your starters dont get injured..... wow what a concept

coaches do what they want to do, and what they think is right, its as easy as that. 95% of the time the guy can play special teams and never get hurt, the kid got a bad break.

true but, who was the GB WR that is now out of the league after getting plowed into on a KR?

he was supposed to be the #2 i think

i still dont understand peoples arguments here.... this is a spot where anyone on that roster could have filled

they chose to use a highly touted rookie who was supposed to be a big part of their defense to fill it

how does that make sense?

so if reggie bush, who was the number 2 pick, is out there returning kicks then this is okay because he can possibly score your fantasy team some points. is this the point that you guys cant get around? i understand where you all are coming from and im not trying to belittle anyone by saying they missed a simple point, but sometimes i think people forget that the nfl is not played strictly for fantasy purposes. i think it's ridiculous to say that a number seventeen draft pick shouldn't play special teams bcuz he might get hurt. why would he even show up at the games?

Trying to find anything I said re FF. Nope, nothing there. There is a huge difference between Bush who might score a TD for the Saints on a KR and Greenway busting wedges. Sorry if you can't understand that.

All I have to say is that it is part of the game, it isn't that much more dangerous than anyother position in reality. Its not like they have 25 kickoffs per game. There are other people out there on special teams, if it was so dangerous than why even have a kickoff return anyway? I mean are these lower draft picks expendable humans that no one cares about?

The funniest part is that he stepped funny when he got hurt, it isn't like he was hit by 8 guys while trying to bust the wedge. He could have gotten a sports hernia from straining too hard to take a dump or something. Injuries happen and trying to protect your players is part of the game, but just because he was a higher draft pick than someone else doesn't mean that he was more or less susceptible to an injury, especially a freak one like this.

maybe he's highly touted bcuz he serves more purposes than just as a linebacker-did u ever consider that?

everybody take a second to read what shasha just wrote

That's a jump. I am a Packer fan true but that does not mean I am a Viking hater. This thread is about whether it is smart to have your first RD pick busting up wedges and getting exposed to unnecessary injury risk. In fact, in the original post I showed man love for Childress.

How is it a jump? You guys are the only ones worked up about it. Most of our special teamers have been starting players the last few years anyways, its nothing new up here. You showed man love for Childress because he was coaching in Wisconsin for a few years, good for you.

coaches do what they want to do, and what they think is right, its as easy as that. 95% of the time the guy can play special teams and never get hurt, the kid got a bad break. Maybe childress learned something from it, if anything.

Actually...most in this thread are being realistic.

Like I said...I would love to find the percentages as far as injuries per kickoff return vs. injuries per normal play. I would about guarantee that the percentage is significantly higher on special teams.

All I have to say is that it is part of the game, it isn't that much more dangerous than anyother position in reality. Its not like they have 25 kickoffs per game. There are other people out there on special teams, if it was so dangerous than why even have a kickoff return anyway? I mean are these lower draft picks expendable humans that no one cares about?

The funniest part is that he stepped funny when he got hurt, it isn't like he was hit by 8 guys while trying to bust the wedge. He could have gotten a sports hernia from straining too hard to take a dump or something. Injuries happen and trying to protect your players is part of the game, but just because he was a higher draft pick than someone else doesn't mean that he was more or less susceptible to an injury, especially a freak one like this.

have you ever watched those guys busting the wedge?

they basically run full at someone and plow them out of the way... id say there is a bit more risk of injury than playing on D

its not the fact that lower picks are expendable either, its that the position really doesnt require any talent to speak of

Larry Izzo is a perfect example, the guy is a probowl wedge buster but have you ever seen the guy take the field on D?

the guy is not a good LB and the only way he makes an NFL team is playing ST doing what Greenway was doing

Again...there is a huge difference between a kickoff returner and a guy busting the wedge.

This comparison sucked when Deion was brought up...its just as foolish when Bush is brought up.

Not just playing special teams...but busting the wedge...its just not something that is done often.

Why would he show up at games? I guess because he was your 2nd string outside linebacker who you want to groom to be a starter...because you invested some time and a decent deal of money for a guy who is now going to miss his rookie year.

people argue this but all i can say is DONT PLAY YOUR ###### STARTERS

the preseason is there to get the team on the same page and see what those players on the bubble can do, just let your starters sit

Portis after his injury was claiming that they need to get rid of preseason games..... well no, the coach can just sit his starters instead and its the same deal

let the other guys get reps in and see what they can do

your starters dont get injured..... wow what a concept

true but, who was the GB WR that is now out of the league after getting plowed into on a KR?

i still dont understand peoples arguments here.... this is a spot where anyone on that roster could have filled

they chose to use a highly touted rookie who was supposed to be a big part of their defense to fill it

how does that make sense?

I did not have a problem with the possible #2 WR going down...he was a later pick...and the thing is he already had the injury (the hit actually brought it to light and possibly saved the guy's life or ability to lead a normal life...)

However, I do have a problem with them using Davenport on special teams...considering he has been injurred more than once playing special teams and is needed as the #2 RB (most likely).

Terrence Murphy. Didn't like him returning K's either as he was a promising WR at a position of need and not a game breaker as a KR.

" maybe he's highly touted bcuz he serves more purposes than just as a linebacker-did u ever consider that?"

Please anyone can be a wedge breaker.

have you ever watched those guys busting the wedge?

they basically run full at someone and plow them out of the way... id say there is a bit more risk of injury than playing on D

its not the fact that lower picks are expendable either, its that the position really doesnt require any talent to speak of

Larry Izzo is a perfect example, the guy is a probowl wedge buster but have you ever seen the guy take the field on D?

the guy is not a good LB and the only way he makes an NFL team is playing ST doing what Greenway was doing

Bill Bates was the same way for the Cowboys back in the day.

Some people just will not understand though.

Actually...most in this thread are being realistic.

Like I said...I would love to find the percentages as far as injuries per kickoff return vs. injuries per normal play. I would about guarantee that the percentage is significantly higher on special teams.

hey like I said we have been playing starters up here for years on special teams and no one was b!tching about it before. Right or not....

hey like I said we have been playing starters up here for years on special teams and no one was b!tching about it before. Right or not....

Then again...Mike Tice was your coach.

:banana: :P :banana:

Sprite spewed from my nose when I read that. Succint and says it all. And, I can't think of better evidence to support my contention.

guys like derrick brooks and ronde barber played special teams in tampa--and as established veterans. if you think it's unusual for a mid-round 1 rookie linebacker to play special teams, i do have some swampland to sell you. please do call.

guys like derrick brooks and ronde barber played special teams in tampa--and as established veterans. if you think it's unusual for a mid-round 1 rookie linebacker to play special teams, i do have some swampland to sell you. please do call.

Not as wedge busters.