Sign in to follow this  
frisco

Who to take at number one

I have the first pick in my Fantasy Football draft, and at the moment I am leaning towards Ladanian Tomlinson. I know most magazines have both Larry Johnson and Shaun Alexander higher, but I'm having doubts about those selections. Any opinions...preferably with reasons why...would be appreciated.

My feeling is Larry Johnson...who was great last season...loses Coach ###### Vermeil..which is huge as Vermeil tends to do very well with Fantasy players. He also has only had one great year and whether he will have a sophmore jinx is still unknown.

Shaun Alexander looses a really good guard, and having already signed a lucrative contract extension its possible he might slack off a little. I had him a few years ago and he was very streaky, so I'm a bit gun shy on him.

Of ocurse LT comes with some issues as well...a rookie QB might greatly cut down on his receiving numbers which is double points in our league...so I'm in a bit on a quandry as to who to pick.

So feel free to advise.

I have the first pick in my Fantasy Football draft, and at the moment I am leaning towards Ladanian Tomlinson. I know most magazines have both Larry Johnson and Shaun Alexander higher, but I'm having doubts about those selections. Any opinions...preferably with reasons why...would be appreciated.

My feeling is Larry Johnson...who was great last season...loses Coach ###### Vermeil..which is huge as Vermeil tends to do very well with Fantasy players. He also has only had one great year and whether he will have a sophmore jinx is still unknown.

Shaun Alexander looses a really good guard, and having already signed a lucrative contract extension its possible he might slack off a little. I had him a few years ago and he was very streaky, so I'm a bit gun shy on him.

Of ocurse LT comes with some issues as well...a rookie QB might greatly cut down on his receiving numbers which is double points in our league...so I'm in a bit on a quandry as to who to pick.

So feel free to advise.

This topic has been of big debate around here the last few weeks. Personally, all 3 are golden. They are all about even in terms of value, and all have their own drawbacks. LJ lost Richardson, Saunders, Vermeil, Roaf and Shields is hurting now too. LT2 has crap for offense around him (aside from Gates) and his QB is practically a rook. SA got his money, just played a looong season, and lost one of the best guards in the game.

But.....

Picking here is all about gut. You have the #1 pick, THEE pick of all picks. Forget about stats, projections and dilemmas, pick the guy you want to lead your team into the playoffs. Go with your gut, if your still having questions......

Drink some beer!

B)

If you don't take Larry Johnson, you will be kicking yourself all year long.

Get this through your head:

Larry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry Johnson

Larry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry Johnson

The man is a cyborg sent back in time from the future. Look at his stats last year. #2 producing RB with 1/2 the playing time. Helllloooooooo?????????

Larry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry Johnson

Larry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry JohnsonLarry Johnson

The man is a cyborg sent back in time from the future. Look at his stats last year. #2 producing RB with 1/2 the playing time. Helllloooooooo?????????

Ditto

I have the first pick in my Fantasy Football draft . . .

Honestly, I though this post was a joke, but I'll advise. If I had the first pick (which I hope I don't), I would draft LJ. Then, before the season starts, I would trade him for a top RB and a top WR to upgrade my WR and depth. It's the equivalent of trading down a few spots. But that's just what I plan to do. I would rather have LT or SA despite what people on this board say, what every cheat sheet says, what every expert says, despite everyone.

LJ was astoundingly dominant in the last half of last season. I personally don't think he will reproduce to the extent everyone thinks he will. It's so rare that someone maintains that dominance. I would rather draft him and trade him when expectations are high. I would feel more comfortable with SA or LT each week because they've consistenly performed year after year. (I know Johnson never had a chance to start before last season.) You think teams won't be keying on LJ?

And, if no one bites on your trade . . . you've still got LJ. But that's just me. :ninja:

Take the proven player, S Alexander! 1500+ 16-20 tds, will be more involved in the passing game if D Jax is hurting.

Take the proven player, S Alexander! 1500+ 16-20 tds, will be more involved in the passing game if D Jax is hurting.

:ninja: Have you seen Shaun try to catch a football the last couple of years. Yeah, not so much will his receiving totals be improving significantly any time soon.

Doesn't get any better than that!

Let's run this down once more.

Willie Roaf - Retired + Will Shields - Injured + Brian Waters - Injured + Tony Richardson - Traded + New Head Coach + New Offensive Coordinator = :headbanger:

Tell me again why his numbers from last year mean diddly squat. :doublethumbsup:

I just don't see how he can even come close to the numbers he put up last year with the obstacles he has to overcome. I hope that #1 overall in my league takes LJ because I'd love for LT2 or SA to fall to me at #3. If I were #1 I'd flip a coin. Head=SA & Tails=LT2. Either one would be fine with me.

I wouldn't say half the playing time. He had 336 carries last year.

I think Alexander has less of a downside out of the three. Granted, the line lost Hutchinson. However, the coaches are the same, the defense is about equal (or even better), and they don't play a difficult schedule.

With LJ and LT, the continuity of the offense has been shaken up much more than in Seattle. I believe if you have one of the top 3 picks, you take the sure thing. LJ and LT might wind up with more points at the end of the season, but at least you know what Alexander's gonna give you at the end of the season.

I have no. 1 pick too and have the same issue.

LJ has issues with new coach and banged up linemen, although coach loves the run, can he repeat?

LT new QB which doesn't really scare me much; he always produces and never gets hurt;

SA has best schedule, lost key lineman, madden thing actually bothers me. Team has something to prove.

I am completely screwed up. Today leaning towards SA though, maybe LT next. LJ downside too much I believe.

just think if johnson started the whole season last year and wonder how many records he could of broken

What would have happened was he probably would have worn down and not got any records. Think what J Jones did a couple of years ago when he came in fresh midway through the season when everybody else had been playing all season. He was fresh and looked great. I'm not saying LJ sucks, but as of now, he's never played a full season and I can't risk a #1 pick on the hope that he might keep it up. I'd rather go with somebody I know can play well for an entire season. I'd go with SA, who has one of the easiest schedules on any running back, especially come playoff time when you really want your guys to perform.