Sign in to follow this  
LoserKid

For those of you with #2 overall pick...

Just found out our draft order last night, draft is tomorrow night. I have the #2 pick in a 12-team league. Guy with the #1 pick has been jocking LJ all offseason, but who knows whether it's a smokescreen or not. That whole debacle will unfold tomorrow night.

My question is...for those of you who had the #2 overall pick, who did you end up selecting in the 2nd (and even 3rd) round. Were any of the top receivers left? What kind of running backs am I going to be looking at? I would love to be able to get somebody like Chris Chambers and then somebody like Warrick Dunn on the turn around, but don't know what to expect.

All responses are appreciated.

Picked 2nd in a 10-teamer, so 2nd round was 19th overall and 3rd round was 22nd overall :

1st rnd. - Alexander (1st pick went LJ also)

2nd rnd. - T. Holt

3rd rnd. - Lamont Jordan

2nd in 10 teamer, and 15 of the first 18 picks were RB's. So, I had tons of options are WR and the RB pool was thinning:

1st: S. Alexander (over LJ)

2nd: R. Bush (Had 3 WR's I liked and in my projections there was a huge dropoff after Bush, so Bush is the pick)

3rd: T. Holt

just drafted #2 out of 12.

there were some owners that didn't know what they were doing

1.02 Ladanian

2.11 Portis

3.02 Chambers

4.11 Driver

5.02 Bulger

just drafted #2 out of 12.

there were some owners that didn't know what they were doing

1.02 Ladanian

2.11 Portis

3.02 Chambers

4.11 Driver

5.02 Bulger

So you actually went with LT2 with the 2nd pick? I've been seriously considering this, but it seems like it's looked down upon to select him any pick earlier than the 3rd. What was your rationale, if you don't mind me asking?

1.02 LT

2.11 Chad Johnson

3.2 L. Fitzgerald

Many people didn't know what they were doing though. I would hardly count on both of those guys being there, but you could probably get one of them in most scenarios. Top 3 reciever is better than a non-top 15 RB any day.

My rational for taking LT over SA: I think SA is a very good RB, but after the number of carries he got last year his numbers will be down rather than up and he can be expected to miss a game or two. He still could be more productive than LT considering his team, however I think LT has a better chance of being the best back in football. I would rather take a back that could win it all for me than a guy I think is a safe pick.

So you actually went with LT2 with the 2nd pick? I've been seriously considering this, but it seems like it's looked down upon to select him any pick earlier than the 3rd. What was your rationale, if you don't mind me asking?

LT was the first pick in my draft and if he had lasted, I would have selected him over Alexander or LJ. LT produces every year and got a little dinged up at the end of last season, but I like him more than any RB.

And, I realize that you addressed this to the guy who picked him, but I just wanted to let you know that there is more than one person that would take LT 2nd, at the very least.

#2 in a 10 team - happened 2 nights ago. Some questionable picking in the first 3 rounds, especially a huge run on QBs in round 3.

1 - Shaun Alexander

2 - Torry Holt

3 - Chris Chambers

4 - Warrick Dunn

5 - Santana Moss

12 teams, #2 pick:

1st: Alexander

2nd: Reggie Bush

3rd: TO!!!!

4th: Tom Brady

5th: Jamal Lewis

I ended up weak at wr- TO, Matt jones, Eddie Kennison

LT was the first pick in my draft and if he had lasted, I would have selected him over Alexander or LJ. LT produces every year and got a little dinged up at the end of last season, but I like him more than any RB.

And, I realize that you addressed this to the guy who picked him, but I just wanted to let you know that there is more than one person that would take LT 2nd, at the very least.

Yeah, I know that he's been productive his whole career. And his best numbers were when Brees started his first year behind the line, so numbers like those could be duplicated this year with Rivers at the helm. But it just seems like he's been swept to the side in favor LJ and SA, and I was just curious as to why people feel that way.

I didn't have the # 2 pick but here are the first few picks for the guy who did:

1.02--SA

2.11--Chester Taylor

3.02-- Kevin Jones

4.11-- Joe Horn

I hope this helps.

it's a PPR.

I like LT better than the other two guys in a PPR league.

right there, at pick #2, I already felt like a guy "fell" to me.

ETA:

Also, Owens and Moss are BOTH falling in a lot of drafts. You may have to decide on drafting or passing on either with your 3.02 pick.

I passed on them both figuring that after getting LT and Portis, I didn't need to take the risk associated with TO or Moss... as long as I drafted a decent team throughout, LT and Portis should carry me.

it's a PPR.

I like LT better than the other two guys in a PPR league.

right there, at pick #2, I already felt like a guy "fell" to me.

ETA:

Also, Owens and Moss are BOTH falling in a lot of drafts. You may have to decide on drafting or passing on either with your 3.02 pick.

I passed on them both figuring that after getting LT and Portis, I didn't need to take the risk associated with TO or Moss... as long as I drafted a decent team throughout, LT and Portis should carry me.

Touche.

I have the #1 pick in a 12 teamer. I'm taking LJ #1. His stats last year show his incredible talent. LT and SA's history of carries make me nervous. If you've ever read any of the articles on this site about what typically happens to RBs after too many carries... you'll know what I'm nervous about.

In any case, my big question is what to do at #2 and #3, my back to back picks. Clearly, I'm taking at least 1 WR. That goes without saying. The real question is, do I take 2 WRs or 1 RB and 1 WR???

I'm leaning towards getting 2 WRs. My thinking is, with the #4 and #5 back to back picks, I can get some crap RBs to fill the position... ie Jones & Benson, Addia and Rhodes, Bell and Bell, F Taylor, A Green, etc....

The point difference between the crap RB I get later and the iffy RB I could get with the 2/3 pick won't be that big. However, the point difference between the stud WR I get early and the junk WR I'll get later will be huge. Therefore, I think it makes sense to go WR - WR with the #2 and #3 picks.

I have the #1 pick in a 12 teamer. I'm taking LJ #1. His stats last year show his incredible talent. LT and SA's history of carries make me nervous. If you've ever read any of the articles on this site about what typically happens to RBs after too many carries... you'll know what I'm nervous about.

In any case, my big question is what to do at #2 and #3, my back to back picks. Clearly, I'm taking at least 1 WR. That goes without saying. The real question is, do I take 2 WRs or 1 RB and 1 WR???

I'm leaning towards getting 2 WRs. My thinking is, with the #4 and #5 back to back picks, I can get some crap RBs to fill the position... ie Jones & Benson, Addia and Rhodes, Bell and Bell, F Taylor, A Green, etc....

The point difference between the crap RB I get later and the iffy RB I could get with the 2/3 pick won't be that big. However, the point difference between the stud WR I get early and the junk WR I'll get later will be huge. Therefore, I think it makes sense to go WR - WR with the #2 and #3 picks.

Again bro, it all depends on what's there.

players you may see on that 2-3 turn include:

Carson Palmer - would you take him here? When I look back at my draft, I kinda' wished I took him in that early 3rd.

W Dunn - not a bad #2 RB

W Parker - again, nice #2 RB

the WRs will likely be:

TO

Moss

Chambers

Harrison

Boldin

10 teamer a little over a week ago, before the Duckett trade...

1st - S. Alexander

2nd - L. Fitzgerald

3rd - Harrison

4th - W. Dunn

So the change of offensive coordinator and loss of Roaf don't scare you at all? I know each of the Big 3 has their questions, so I'm curious as to which ones outweigh the other ones.

I was crossing my fingers that I would get the #3 pick, so I wouldn't have to stress about this and could just pick whoever was left.

With my 2nd and 3rd round picks I'm also seriously looking at trying to lock up somebody like Fitzgerald and Chambers, but then I'm stuck with someone like Cedric Benson as my #2 back. Not pretty. Of course, I could take Chestor Taylor or Warrick Dunn in the 3rd, and have a Darrel Jackson type as my #2 WR. Might prefer that.

As you can tell I tend to over-analyze everything. Draft day is the best and worst day of the year. :cheers:

1st - S. Alexander

2nd - L. Fitzgerald

3rd - Harrison

4th - W. Dunn

This would be the perfect scenario. But in a 12-teamer I don't see it happening. Nice draft for you though.

1st: SA

2nd: Anquan Bolden

3rd: Chester Taylor

4th: Frank Gore

5th: Fred Taylor

perfect example here.

What if you had Taken Carson Palmer with that 3rd rounder? Looking back, would you rather have taken Palmer?

Could you trade Chester Taylor straight up for Palmer right now?

This would be the perfect scenario. But in a 12-teamer I don't see it happening. Nice draft for you though.

Oops. I missed the twelve team bit in the original post. You're right. No chance of it happening in a 12. It wouldn't even be possible in a 10 team anymore after the Duckett trade.

12 team #2 pick:

1.02) L. Johnson

2.11) T. Holt

3.02) T. Owens (Dunn was on the board but this was 2 weeks ago, he probably wont be now)

4.11) J. Addai

5.02) C. Palmer :thumbsdown:

6.11) D. Rhodes

7.02) A. Green

Just found out our draft order last night, draft is tomorrow night. I have the #2 pick in a 12-team league. Guy with the #1 pick has been jocking LJ all offseason, but who knows whether it's a smokescreen or not. That whole debacle will unfold tomorrow night.

My question is...for those of you who had the #2 overall pick, who did you end up selecting in the 2nd (and even 3rd) round. Were any of the top receivers left? What kind of running backs am I going to be looking at? I would love to be able to get somebody like Chris Chambers and then somebody like Warrick Dunn on the turn around, but don't know what to expect.

All responses are appreciated.

not quite your scenario but since you're targeting guys I like I thought I'd chime in....

I drafted 4th in a $$ league with guys from this forum 2 nights back.. I took Randy Moss at 2.9 and these are the guy whos were left.... Boldin, TO, Wayne, Chambers, Bush and then it came back to me at 3.4 where I took Warrick Dunn. So I definitely think you can pick up Chambers/Boldin and Dunn with the possibility of maybe even getting TO if you dont mind the risk.

perfect example here.

What if you had Taken Carson Palmer with that 3rd rounder? Looking back, would you rather have taken Palmer?

Could you trade Chester Taylor straight up for Palmer right now?

Point taken. Getting a top-3 RB, a top-5 WR, and a top-3 QB with my first three picks would be nice. I was also thinking about snagging Gates with my 3rd pick. Would you value him higher than Palmer?

So the change of offensive coordinator and loss of Roaf don't scare you at all? I know each of the Big 3 has their questions, so I'm curious as to which ones outweigh the other ones.

Heck yeah it scares me. But LT lost his QB altogether and is now stuck with an inexperienced QB who is almost gauranteed to lose a bunch of games this year and SD certainly won't be scoring like they did in the past. LT also has a lot of tread on the tires.

Sean Alexander's carries is what bothers me about him. I think he has more carries over the past 3 years, than any RB in the entire league. That ain't good. Plus, I've never been a big fan of Alexander. He seems like feast or famine... 5 TDs one game, and nothing for the next two games. Not to mention .... (madden curse).

Kansas City still has Trent Green, Tony G, all the WRs, some of the offense line and a reportedly better defense. They will definately contend for the playoffs. And LJ, who has very little tread on his tires, should be a big part of it. Plus, how can you ignore a RB who has had 9 starts in his entire career and all nine games were 100+ yards rushing with a total of 17 TDs? Good lord, the man has NEVER had a bad game. I just can't turn that down.

Point taken. Getting a top-3 RB, a top-5 WR, and a top-3 QB with my first three picks would be nice. I was also thinking about snagging Gates with my 3rd pick. Would you value him higher than Palmer?

no and here's why:

there's LOTS of talent at TE this year as opposed to lots of mediocrity at QB.

IMO, Manning and Palmer are the QB elites (in fantasy) with Brady a notch below (in fantasy).

With the TEs, Gates has some competition now with:

Shockey (Eli and the NYGs should be explosive)

Heap (+ McNair)

Watson (I have him ranked with this top tier of TEs and he can be drafted a little later)

you could conceivably take Carson and still land one of these elite TEs.

It won't work the other way around.

Heck yeah it scares me. But LT lost his QB altogether and is now stuck with an inexperienced QB who is almost gauranteed to lose a bunch of games this year and SD certainly won't be scoring like they did in the past. LT also has a lot of tread on the tires.

Sean Alexander's carries is what bothers me about him. I think he has more carries over the past 3 years, than any RB in the entire league. That ain't good. Plus, I've never been a big fan of Alexander. He seems like feast or famine... 5 TDs one game, and nothing for the next two games. Not to mention .... (madden curse).

Kansas City still has Trent Green, Tony G, all the WRs, some of the offense line and a reportedly better defense. They will definately contend for the playoffs. And LJ, who has very little tread on his tires, should be a big part of it. Plus, how can you ignore a RB who has had 9 starts in his entire career and all nine games were 100+ yards rushing with a total of 17 TDs? Good lord, the man has NEVER had a bad game. I just can't turn that down.

Understandable, but as I stated before LT2 had his best year with an inexperienced Brees taking the snaps. And that was before Gates was drawing the types of coverages he is now.

no and here's why:

there's LOTS of talent at TE this year as opposed to lots of mediocrity at QB.

IMO, Manning and Palmer are the QB elites (in fantasy) with Brady a notch below (in fantasy).

With the TEs, Gates has some competition now with:

Shockey (Eli and the NYGs should be explosive)

Heap (+ McNair)

Watson (I have him ranked with this top tier of TEs and he can be drafted a little later)

you could conceivably take Carson and still land one of these elite TEs.

It won't work the other way around.

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to play devil's advocate with me. Very much appreciated.

Second, say I get Tomlinson in the 1st, Harrison in the 2nd, and Palmer in the 3rd. How would you draft your next three picks? TE, RB, WR? WR, RB, TE? RB, TE, WR? I mean the possibilities are pretty much endless. I'm just very wary of someone like Fred Taylor as my #2 RB or Joey Galloway as my #2 WR.

1st - S. Alexander

2nd - L. Fitzgerald

3rd - Harrison

4th - W. Dunn

------------------

Dude THATS INSANE.. I have the exact team from my 10 team draft. In that order and then in the 5th i got Shockey. Probably a reach

10 team Non-PPR Drafted this Sunday night.

Pick #1.2 - SA

Pick #2.9 - Marvin Harrison

Pick #3.2 - Fast Willy Parker

Pick #4.1 - Warrick Dunn

Pick #5.2 - Donald Driver

For me it was a toss up between LT2 and SA. In a PPR league, I take LT2,

but since we dont have PPR I took SA because his schedule is easier.

Don’t draft a QB in the 3rd. you can get equal value in one of your next 2 picks. And don’t zero in on 1 player. Manning, Palmer, Hasselbeck, Brady, Mcnabb and Culpepper all have about the same value. Wait and grab one of them with your 4th. If the guy at the turn has a QB already or if 2 of the list are left wait and grab one with your 5th. Taking a QB in the 3rd is a reach.

It’s a mistake to zero in on one player; because once they get selected you panic and reach on a less valuable player.

For your 2nd and 3rd picks list off your top 26 players in order and just draft who is left. My list had 1 QB, 19 RB and 6 WR. Trying to figure out who you will have is fruitless. Inevitably someone will draft wonky and throw you for a loop and then you will be shell shocked and make bad choices.

Second, say I get Tomlinson in the 1st, Harrison in the 2nd, and Palmer in the 3rd. How would you draft your next three picks? TE, RB, WR? WR, RB, TE? RB, TE, WR? I mean the possibilities are pretty much endless.

impossible to say as it all depends on what's on the board.

but OK, let's say you start out with LT, Harrison, and Palmer.

this is the core of your team so really, you're looking for reliablity moreso than upside in the mid rounds.

coming back into the 4th/5th turn, I'd look to grab a RB combo (Dillon/Maroney, TJones/Benson, or Addai/Rhodes). If one of those combos is still on the board, you take it and now have security with your #2 RB.

OR

if Frank Gore makes it all the way back to the late 4th, take him and look for Shockey or Watson in the early 5th. And if your league isn't hip to Watson and you can wait, do so and take a WR like TJ Housh, Mason, or J Walker.

now on the 6-7 turn you may have a shot at Chris Brown and Matt Jones

Also, as far as TE are concerned other than the top 3 or 4 guys the next 10-15 are about the same. Not to mention there is more value in getting good WR and RB then a TE that is just slightly better than the field. I generally wait and draft a TE after I have filled out my QB, RB and WR starters and a RB and WR for my bench. That’s about the 8th or 9th round. Here you can get a player like LJ Smith or maybe Reggie Kelly (Sleeper from Cincy) who will put up just slightly lower numbers this year then someone like Shockey, but you probably gain more scoring potential by the quality of player you were able to get in the 4th and 5th because you didn’t waist a pick on a top 3 TE.

Manning, Palmer, Hasselbeck, Brady, Mcnabb and Culpepper all have about the same value.

While I do agree that it's not a good idea to zero in on one player, I disagree that those QBs all have about the same value.

Have a handful (or group) of players that you'd like to see fall to you at certain spots and know how your strategy will shift/change depending on who you actually get.

While I do agree that it's not a good idea to zero in on one player, I disagree that those QBs all have about the same value.

Well that’s what’s great about fantasy Football. Until we start the games nobody knows. But all the above have just as equal a chance at being this years top QB, as they have the talent around them. I guess McNabb is a reach, but with Stallworth who knows.

players you may see on that 2-3 turn include:

Carson Palmer - would you take him here? When I look back at my draft, I kinda' wished I took him in that early 3rd.

W Dunn - not a bad #2 RB

W Parker - again, nice #2 RB

the WRs will likely be:

TO

Moss

Chambers

Harrison

Boldin

Well there's no way in hell I'm using a 2/3 round pick on a QB who's had 1 good year with the CIN Bengals, and is coming back from a broken leg. Just think about that. If he does it again - I might think about it next year.

Dunn - yeah. I've thought about that. Normally Dunn is a late 3rd/early 4th guy. He's just... Warrick Dunn. The guy who's been in the league forever and never gets drafted very early because his stats never justify it. "But this year is different"... ?

Parker - Ugh. Last year: 1,200 yards and a whopping 5 total TDs. Bettis is gone now, but I'm not convinced that really means add 6+ TDs to Parker's stats. Staley is still there. And if you take Parker, your joining the Rothlesberger offensive club which I think sucks.

On the other hand, in my league WRs are always taken early - I guess it's because we start 3 WRs. But with my #23 pick (2nd round pick), the best I can hope for is Moss, Boldin, or Wayne. So what are those guys good for? Optimistically 1,300 yards and 7-8 TDs? Dunn should get at least that in total yards and TDs. .... I'm not sure what to do.

:huh:

Drafting this Sat in my 12 team money league...

I'm projecting.

SA

Anquan

Chambers/Wayne

Gore - or another RB who slips

Mcnabb/Brady/Eli

RB#3

This five lloks feasible based on what I've seen so for.

The #2 in my 12 teamer league went:

1.02 LT

2.11 T. Owens

3.02 R. Moss

4.11 Culpepper

5.02 T. Jones

6.11 A. Green :huh: :vomit:

Scary looking names with monster upside but I'd be a nervous wreck.