Sign in to follow this  
zoso483

McGahee or Holt?

Mid second round, assume you have determined that McGahee is the best RB left on the board and Holt the best receiver available. Which direction do you go? The question boils down to is McGahee good enough to take before the elite receivers. A few weeks ago I thought if I found myself in this situation I would go receiver, but now, the more I think about it, the more I like McGahee as a RB2. Thoughts?

I took Holt before McGahee...and Willis got back to me anyway. (3rd round for Holt, 4th for McGahee in an 8 team TD only scoring league...)

12 team draft, I took Holt in the 2nd round and passed on Fast Willie and McGahee. Ended up with Gore and Dillon as my 2nd RB, with Ronnie as my first.

An interesting dilemma that I have given a lot of thought to myself. I think it comes down to if any of the small group of tier 2 backs really get you excited enough - McGahee, Westbrook, Parker, etc...

That group of receivers looks to be a much safer choice and a great foundation for starting your core of receivers, but with the shortage of RB's who will even get the majority of their teams carries, if one really tickles your fancy you should probably take them.

There are some quality WR to be had in RD 3-4 (I got Chambers in the early 4th) if you go RB in the 1st 3 or 4 rounds

I've got Holt, Smith, CJ, Fitz, and Harrison ahead of McGahee and FWP. Directly after McGahee and FWP I've got Randy, TO, Boldin, Chambers, Gates.

Had the same situation and took Holt. Cadillac ended up falling to me 4 picks later so I ended up with Alexander, Holt, and Cadillac.

McGahee went before Holt in my draft, and I couldn't have been happier. I took holt with 2.12 and still would have if McGahee was on the board. I ended up with LT, Holt, and Frank Gore

I think it depends on your position in the draft. If you can grab Holt and still get say FWP the next round then take Holt otherwise if the RB's are getting thin and you could grab a Harrison, Boldin, Chambers, or Moss on the way back around then take McGahee if that is who you want. My thinking is if you are one of the bottom picks 6-8 in an 8 man or 7-10 in a 10 man you have to go RB-RB because by the time you get to pick again most or all the good non RBBC RB's will be gone and you can still grab one of the bottom #1 WR's, see above.

I took Holt before McGahee...and Willis got back to me anyway. (3rd round for Holt, 4th for McGahee in an 8 team TD only scoring league...)

This happened for me too, almost verbatim.

McGahee will be a work horse thsi year. I fully expect 1200-1400 yards and 12 - 14 TDs out of him this season. It's not like there is anyone to vulture carries away. L . Evans will keep defenses honest and McGahee will out perform many RBs taken well ahea dof him this year.

You people shoudl know by now that the preseason top 10 RBs is never the end of season top 10. I can't believe the McGahee bashing. I am not a fan either.

McGahee will be a work horse thsi year. I fully expect 1200-1400 yards and 12 - 14 TDs out of him this season. It's not like there is anyone to vulture carries away. L . Evans will keep defenses honest and McGahee will out perform many RBs taken well ahea dof him this year.

You people shoudl know by now that the preseason top 10 RBs is never the end of season top 10. I can't believe the McGahee bashing. I am not a fan either.

Oh, well, now that you "FULLY" expect...why didn't you say so.

I would jump from a bridge if I took him again, and the Bills look exactly like the crap they were last year.

Who's their QB, who's their WRs ?

Wow, I didn't see this same post about 5,000 times last year. Those 5,000 people burned a first rounder on him. How many of them made the playoff's? I think we all know the answer is probably < 1.

Wow, I didn't see this same post about 5,000 times last year. Those 5,000 people burned a first rounder on him. How many of them made the playoff's? I think we all know the answer is probably < 1.

I did, but it was because of these Larry Johnson and Carson Palmer guys helping me out.

Sorry for jumping on the bandwagon questioning this post but it's hard to overlook statements like this that fail to take into consideration the reality of a players situation. I think if one takes into account the fact the Bills will once again be fielding an offensive line ranked at or near the bottom of the league, a defense that performed poorly the previous season and has done little to improve, no threat from a quality second WR as well as no real pass catching TE and a QB who will be considered to have had a decent season if he manages just a few more TD's to Ints and completes better than 55% of his attempts, one would realize this year does not bode well for McGahee. Particularly with scoring TD's. I'll concede the yardage but think a max of 7-8 TD's is more realistic. A running back who is likely to avg. just over 80 yards on the ground and a TD every other week is probably what McGahee will be.

i took L. Jordan as my 1.09 in a 12 man team, so at 2.04 i took Willis. WR started to go, but i got chambers in the 3rd round (moss was taken the pick before mine). Definitely happy with that! :thumbsup: :pointstosky:

I would not. I'm currently involved in a draft where I picked 2nd, and all the elite WRs (Smith, CJ, Holt, Fitzgerald, R. Moss, Boldin, Harrison) were gone by my 2nd round pick, so I took McGahee over Westbrook, Chester, and KJ. I did take him over Wayne and Owens. I don't like Owens so I refused to take him this year.

I ended up with Chambers as my WR1 over Wayne, which is risky, but with Culpepper looking healthy I think Chambers can put up top 10 numbers.

I think McGahee will outperform what he did last year. I think the playcalling will be better, and while Losman is very inconsistent as a QB, he does possess a great deep ball and a HR threat in Evans that defenses have to respect. If Price can somehow manage to be a decent 2nd WR, that offense could be adequate this year and give McGahee 8 TDs or so.

ya'll must have some screwed up leagues ya'll play in cause i have always taken 2 rbs in 1st 2 rds and then on the recs. or the only thing i can think of is the ya'll have some dumb people in your leagues where some of these top players are still left in 4th or 5th rds. :pointstosky:

ya'll must have some screwed up leagues ya'll play in cause i have always taken 2 rbs in 1st 2 rds and then on the recs. or the only thing i can think of is the ya'll have some dumb people in your leagues where some of these top players are still left in 4th or 5th rds. :bandana:

Thanks for participating in the thread, why don't you go back to working on your novel.

Sorry for jumping on the bandwagon questioning this post but it's hard to overlook statements like this that fail to take into consideration the reality of a players situation. I think if one takes into account the fact the Bills will once again be fielding an offensive line ranked at or near the bottom of the league, a defense that performed poorly the previous season and has done little to improve, no threat from a quality second WR as well as no real pass catching TE and a QB who will be considered to have had a decent season if he manages just a few more TD's to Ints and completes better than 55% of his attempts, one would realize this year does not bode well for McGahee. Particularly with scoring TD's. I'll concede the yardage but think a max of 7-8 TD's is more realistic. A running back who is likely to avg. just over 80 yards on the ground and a TD every other week is probably what McGahee will be.

Assuming a healthy season, an average of 80 yards per game and a touchdown every other game would give 1280 yards and 8 TDs - I would be happy with that kind of production out of my RB2 (12 team league). The only question for me is if I could find numbers like that from a RB in the 3rd round.

sho me and you in the same boat. get this barber,c johnson, holt, mcgahee, and fwp first five rds in 8 teamer. gotta love the 8 teamers.

Gotto go Holt. And not only cause McGahee killed my team last year, but because it makes since. Good thread with lots of good info. :thumbsup:

Passing Rushing Receiving

Player Att Cmp Yd TD Int Rate Att Yd Avg TD Recpt Yd Avg TD FL FPTS

Holt, Torry WR STL 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 1 2 2.0 0 102 1331 13.0 9 1 196.8

McGahee, Willis RB BUF 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 325 1247 3.8 5 28 178 6.4 0 1 180.8

Holt scored a whopping 16 more fantasy points then McGahee last year (our league is pretty standard scoring). Granted...Holt did miss two games, but people considered last year to be great one for Holt, while McGahee's year was poor. This year Holt will, most likely, give you more of the same, but Willis has the potential to get much more.

There is a reason fantasy football is RB dominated. They have the greatest potential to score in the top 10 and there is a huge drop off in tiers of RBs. FWP, Westbrook, McGahee, Caddy, Rudi, and even Dunn should be considered before WRs ...especially since RB depth is seriously lacking this year.

Assuming a healthy season, an average of 80 yards per game and a touchdown every other game would give 1280 yards and 8 TDs - I would be happy with that kind of production out of my RB2 (12 team league). The only question for me is if I could find numbers like that from a RB in the 3rd round.

Don't know what position you're drafting from but I'm pretty sure Dunn and Chester Taylor will be available in the third and either should match McGahee's stats. Gore has a decent opportunity for similar numbers too and in many drafts lasts into the fourth round but he also carries a significant injury risk and isn't someone I'd want to rely on as a RB 2. Droughns is another who should be ok for yardage and his TD's should be better than last year but again, not sure about him as RB 2.

ya'll must have some screwed up leagues ya'll play in cause i have always taken 2 rbs in 1st 2 rds and then on the recs. or the only thing i can think of is the ya'll have some dumb people in your leagues where some of these top players are still left in 4th or 5th rds. :o

Haha, People like this guy calling other people dumb is what makes life great. This is probably the funniest thing I've read all day.

Now ya'll dummies better listen to ya'll kins advice and draft ya'll self 2 RB's ya'll heard?

:wacko:

man leave the newbie alone

hes trying to bring this new idea called "fantasy football" back home to mississippi...

where he will say he invented it...... :lol:

There is a reason fantasy football is RB dominated. They have the greatest potential to score in the top 10 and there is a huge drop off in tiers of RBs. FWP, Westbrook, McGahee, Caddy, Rudi, and even Dunn should be considered before WRs ...especially since RB depth is seriously lacking this year.

The "reason" fantasy football is RB dominated in YOUR league is because of YOUR scoring format. I think people are slowly realizing that with PPR, player values are leveled out, giving more options in drafting situations, resulting in more dynamic/fun drafts, and higher potential for non-premier draft pick slots to have a good team. In a PPR league, I think Holt, based on his unbelievable consistency should be selected HANDS DOWN before McGahee. Take a look at Holt's game log - his worst game last year was 6-75. More consistent than Steve Smith, and by all means a conceivable #1 ranked WR in all of fantasy football.

I had planned on taking an Rb in the first and then coming back with FItz in the second but I took Manning at 1.08 and had to take McGahee as my RB1 in the 2nd. Holt was the pick directly before mine. I have Fitz rated higher than Holt but this is exactly what I was thinking about before my draft.

I think that there is a good drop off after McGahee and Westbrook in terms of Rb's that I am comfortable with how they will perform and ordinarily I would take whichever of the elite Wr's you are high on right before these two.

Excellent question.

The Bills will be lucky to win 5 games this year and very rarely do running backs on horrible teams post those kind of numbers.. specially 14 rushing TD's

sho me and you in the same boat. get this barber,c johnson, holt, mcgahee, and fwp first five rds in 8 teamer. gotta love the 8 teamers.

Playing in 8 team leagues is like getting a gold medal at the special olympics....

The "reason" fantasy football is RB dominated in YOUR league is because of YOUR scoring format. I think people are slowly realizing that with PPR, player values are leveled out, giving more options in drafting situations, resulting in more dynamic/fun drafts, and higher potential for non-premier draft pick slots to have a good team. In a PPR league, I think Holt, based on his unbelievable consistency should be selected HANDS DOWN before McGahee. Take a look at Holt's game log - his worst game last year was 6-75. More consistent than Steve Smith, and by all means a conceivable #1 ranked WR in all of fantasy football.

Sorry...but I believe PPR leagues are as gay as playing tackle football with the 3 reception 1st down rule (draw some lines in the dirt and play like barbarians…at the least try to act like Xena).

Points awarded for just touching the ball is just wrong. I know it creates parity among positions, but I think it is false parity. In the real NFL RBs and QBs are seen as more valuable...just look at the recent Cowboys’s Trinity HoF inductees. Which of the three did not make it???

I know it is “fantasy”… but I like to keep it as real as possible.

People who cant catch are worthless in real football. It's not the same as a handoff. And I hardly consider it something as minimal as a "touch"

Wide receivers have to catch a ball to gain yardage, not simply be handed the ball. In that respect, there's no reason a runningback should be more valuable than a wide receiver, or any other position for that matter.

Sorry...but I believe PPR leagues are as gay as playing tackle football with the 3 reception 1st down rule (draw some lines in the dirt and play like barbarians…at the least try to act like Xena).

Points awarded for just touching the ball is just wrong. I know it creates parity among positions, but I think it is false parity. In the real NFL RBs and QBs are seen as more valuable...just look at the recent Cowboys’s Trinity HoF inductees. Which of the three did not make it???

I know it is “fantasy”… but I like to keep it as real as possible.

This is getting ridiculous. :dunno: