Sign in to follow this  
tony hardware

Whiney Biotch wants me to make a rule . . .

. . . where there is a one day waiver period on Sundays only. The effect is to prevent any league member on Sundays only to take a player from the FA list without him first going through the waiver process. In other words, if I have the 10th waiver priority and Tomlinson goes down and Michael Turner is available, I wouldn't be able to take him as a FA on that Sunday until #1 - #9 had the chance to take him.

Apart from (1) having discussed the rules prior to the start of the season; (2) there being no league setting to make this change; (3) no way to externally implement it and regulate it and (4) severely limiting the ability of a member to alter his team on the most important day of the fantasy week . . .

can anyone give me a reason why I should do this rule? It seems unfair to me, but the kid won't let it go. Please give me candid responses because I want to post some of them on our league board. You could be published!

I actually agree with him. The leagues I am in have the FA market closed every week until Tuesday. so from the first game of the week to Tuesday you cant pick up anyone. Then all the waiver action happens Tuesday night and its a free for all Wednesday to the start of the next game.

What site do you use? Most sites have the functionality to allow this.

Well if the draft has been done and the rules have been set... I would say that's golden and can't be changed. If a rule needed to be changed, as league commish I would need 100% league backing, the problem then seems to be how to enforce it if you can't make the changes in the system.

With that being said I would say the rules stand the way they are, he'll be unhappy and the issue can be brought up again next year.

Just my .02

Yahoo. I can't find the option. You don't think it makes the league less competitive? I don't think people will check their teams enough and trades will never get addressed. Am I wrong?

we use the waiver wire ish too. A player is locked once his game starts so if LT goes down halfway through his game someone can't just go and pick up turner because they happen to be at home watching that particular game when someone else may be at work (I work sundays) or be out at a bar watching a game or 3 with some friends. It's set up so the worst team gets first priority when the waiver wire period opens on thursday. It's really not that bad, only a few times have people taken the player i wuz trying to get

One of the reasons our league paid the extra bucks for Sportsline this year was for the FA bidding system, where each week there's a silent auction for FA/waiver pickups. You get $100 to last you the entire season. It really adds another dimension of strategy.

I don't like "first-come, first-serve" pickups because it gives an unfair advantage to the owners who don't have access to a computer while the games are going on. Having said that, it is a bit late to be bringing up a rules objection. So it should probably be implemented next year.

I actually agree with him. The leagues I am in have the FA market closed every week until Tuesday. so from the first game of the week to Tuesday you cant pick up anyone. Then all the waiver action happens Tuesday night and its a free for all Wednesday to the start of the next game.

What site do you use? Most sites have the functionality to allow this.

I agree also. All FA's should be locked until Tuesday. Until that time claims can be made for FA's. Last place team has first claim going up to first having last claim. After the WW claims are processed the teams who had claims filled move to the bottom of the list and all other FA's are available to be picked up until Sunday when rosters lock again.

However..... this was not the rule when you started the league so although I think it's stupid that it isn't a rule you can't change rules now (unless a majority vote agrees).

I think it actually makes it more fare for the people in your league who are out at a local pub or actually at the games. Say SA goes down and I am at the Seahawks game. If the FA market is a free for all at all time someone who is in front of their computer can grab Moris before I can.

The waiver wire will make it more fare for people. It also allows you to make the league more competitive by ordering it by how the teams are doing in a worst to first order. So the worse your team does gives you the best chance to improve your team and keeps everyone in the league interested until the end.

I am unfamilure with Yahoo leagues, but I would bet they have a waiver wire function.

Personally I love watchin the games with the laptop in front of me, watching the live scoring and taking advantage of opportunities just like the one you mentioned. (grabbing Turner if LT2 goes down)

Having said that I would simply put it to a vote. Since the rules were already laid out but the season hasn't started 2/3 majority to change rule now... or vote after the season is over (after all people have drafted according to the existing rules and using your example again, the LT2 owner may ahve handcuffed him had this rule been in place at the time of the draft) at which time a 50% +1 majority would be needed. I would not even contemplate making a change like this mid season.

My League has no break in the Waiver process.

I wish that it did.

Nothing I hate worse than sitting at games in FedEx Field and hearing news that one of my players is hurt and some SOB sitting at home on his azz quickly snags the back up online.

My league is all waiver wire pickups...I am the commish of a yahoo league and I lock the settings to allow people to make moves. People email me their moves by a Wed night deadline and I personally make the moves and adjust waiver priority.

Our league as a whole decided to do this b/c people go to the games in my league and arent' in front of their computer. therefore it's fair for everyone.

My assumption is your WW is first come first served, which is great for active owners who don't work weekends. I'm usually watching games on Sunday, so this works for folks who are near a computer on gamedays when guys get hurt. In my money leagues, WW goes dark after the first game is kicked off. It opens back up on Tuesday morning.

Waiver priority is the least fair and most common way to handle waivers.

FCFS rewards active players, but hurts player who don't watch games with a laptop running.

We went to Blind bidding this year, and it has worked great in the preseason. It forces owners to manage finances ($100 limit) and also manage their rosters. If you lose a guy to a Game time decision, you are SOL. Better hope you have a guy on your roster. Since you have to plan all moves and bid accordingly a day in advance.

Saying all that, Rules should not be changed once the season starts.

The waiver wire seems to be open 24/7 in your league, tell him he has 6 other days to get his roster the way he wants, add all the backups he wants.

You should have a WW period. Discourage WW trades once the trade deadline ends, thos add/drop trades are shady...good luck

My league is all waiver wire pickups...I am the commish of a yahoo league and I lock the settings to allow people to make moves. People email me their moves by a Wed night deadline and I personally make the moves and adjust waiver priority.

Our league as a whole decided to do this b/c people go to the games in my league and arent' in front of their computer. therefore it's fair for everyone.

Wow, it seems like there's a lot of support. Maybe I'm the biotch. I've put it to a vote and the 6 kids that responded, it was 4-2 no. So I'm giving it more time. It seems like the above is my only option because it is a Yahoo league. But this same kid was talking all about the Sportsline auction stuff and what not like those above and it makes sense that he would want to do it, but Yahoo doesn't have those options and everyone else in my league is telling him to shut up.

I myself will be at every Patriots game and will likely fall victim to some clever waiver work, but I don't b1tcth about it after the rules have been established.

I'll wait and see what the league thinks. Thanks for the input . . . now . . . I'm having this problem with my fiance . . .

On wavier wire pick ups.

Prior to Thur. night a 10:00 cst

The guy in last place gets first pick on the ww (from 12 down to 1st)

At 10:01 on Thur. night, its free for anyone to pick.

This way it balances out the league.

If your worried about your stud rb going down. You shoulda drafted his back-up on draft day.

This is the way my league does it, and nobody crys about it. I think its very fair. <_<

Changing the rules after the draft is a very bad idea. Right now you have 1 guy looking for an advantage for his team, but you have 9, 11 or whatever other guys who drafted with the rules in place. This is something for that owner to bring up in the offseason and if enough voters agree then change the rules.

How I feel about the proposed rule is irrelevant, but for the record I would oppose the kid's suggestion. What is relevant is that now is NOT the time to change league rules. Ideally league rules can only be changed by a vote of all owners before the league draft. Even if the commish has the power to set rules, this should never be done between the draft and the first game unless approved by the consensus of league owners. So you can use either the timing or the opposition counterargument without having to debate the merits of the proposal.

Why reward a guy for sitting by his computer all day Sunday? Do none of the owners in your league ever attend the games, or go out to a bar to watch with friends, or anything of the sort?

We lock rosters from first game to last game of the week, then run waivers on Tues morning.

Sure, you don't always get who you want. But at least you aren't chained to your comp on gamedays.

EDIT: If you already drafted though, I wouldn't change any rules until next year anyway.

I am not a fan of changing rules midseason. You should actually have a rule that sets the parameters of making this type of change (requires 2/3 vote, for example), but that is a different discussion.

However, having a waiver wire going while a game is going on is nuts. We do that in one of our free leagues and it is not fair. It gives too much of an advantage to the shut-ins (like me). I would never play in a pay league that had that.

Once the first game starts for the week, then the rosters are locked until you open up the waiver wire (Tuesday or Wednesday). I like having a free-for-all after that initial waiver wire process up until that first game starts, but you can decide that amongst the owners.

In both of my $ leagues, we use the WW process, but FAs are available at any time up until 5 mins before kickoff of thier game.

Why would all FAs be locked on waivers? That's not a FA.

That is why it's important to distinguish between the two. The ONLY time this should be an issue is if a player is coming off waivers Saturday at midnight and you want/need to claim them. At that point it is however you prioritize and voila.

But come Sunday morning if no one's claimed that player I see absolutely no reason why an add/drop can't be performed.

Now, AFTER the games on Sunday & Monday, all our players are locked up again until Tuesday morning, so if someone blows up on the weekend it's not a free for all rush to the computer to pick them up....but again, that has NOTHING to do with free agents.

I think that is the distinction your leaguemate is having trouble getting, and why he's indeed a whiney biotch.

I agree with those who say fock him and no rules changes. It's a stupid request anyway because FAs aren't effected by the WW nor should they be.

I'd change the rule AFTER the season when all owners can vote on it (officially). Don't change after you've drafted. Tell him to deal with it this year and bring it up next year at the owners meeting.

In other words, if I have the 10th waiver priority and Tomlinson goes down and Michael Turner is available, I wouldn't be able to take him as a FA on that Sunday until #1 - #9 had the chance to take him.

In other words you want to subvert your league's WW priority system just because you are in front of a computer on Sundays? That's what it sounds like.

In other words you want to subvert your league's WW priority system just because you are in front of a computer on Sundays? That's what it sounds like.

Funny thing is, I won't be in front of my computer on Sundays. Patriots season ticket holder (see below). I just think that people should have full control over their teams at all times and those who pay attention should be rewarded. Also, BN spots should be utilized strategically, they're there for a reason. I don't object to the system and would take part, but I now have to implement this team locking system and this is something that could have been addressed before the season. This kid has done Yahoo leagues many times before. It's annoying.