Sign in to follow this  
Rio Gamblers

How did you get into FF?

My brother-in-law got me started. He needed another body to fill in and make it an even number so I tried it out. Really took my lumps that year. 2 years later I was able to win it all. :banana:

What's your story? Let's hear them. :D

The devil came up to me and told me to draft the greatest fantasy football team in the world, or he'd eat my soul.

So I drafted the lineup in my sig...

The details of my life are quite inconsequential.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

I was walking toward the sunset with a couple of soldiers and an hakawi indian. We became lost and stopped at the edge of a cliff. We instinctively looked toward the horizon and after a while the indian turned and said to me "we're the hakawi". It sounded like "where the heck are we"....After that I turned in my lineup every week and the rest is history. :-)

I was at my cousin's place in college. I think it was week 6 or so and he was rooting for guys to score for his fantasy team. Long story short, we ended up getting some guys together and starting a league. We drafted prior to week 8 and had a 1/2 season for the first year.

12 years later, I am now the commish and 4 time champ! Oh yeah and I am now in 6 leagues!

The devil came up to me and told me to draft the greatest fantasy football team in the world, or he'd eat my soul.

So I drafted the lineup in my sig...

Soooo you didnt get to pick until the 4th round or what?

I was born a poor black child...

wait that's a different story.

'95 I was invited into an 8-team yards-only league that was awesome. I had Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice and Junior Seau.. Somehow made it to the superbowl going into the Monday Night game where I was down by 1, he had Steve Young, I had Rice.. I had no chance.. or did I?? Rice had a career day getting like 290 yds and scoring 22 points to Young's 20.. was an amazing win.

:cheers:

The details of my life are quite inconsequential.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

Thanks Dr. Evil.

(It really is funny though :cheers:)

Brother & I ran into one of his old HS friends at a HS football scrimage in August of 1994 (or 95) & he started talking about playing FF & we (my bro & i) were like....fantasy wha? :wub: we both figured he was gonna start about telling us about a D&D type game with football thrown in as to not sound like a complete waste of flesh. by the end of the convo - we had both joined his league & havent looked back since, :wub:

Ahhhhhh - i remember the good ol days of having to score by hand (USA Today, a notebook, a calculater, & pen), then having to mail NOT EMAIL everyone a weekly results/standings/league news letter (which most didnt get until thrs - so sometimes you didnt know if you won until then, etc...). THANK GAWD FOR THE INTERNET! :cheers:

Ahhhhhh - i remember the good ol days of having to score by hand (USA Today, a notebook, a calculater, & pen), then having to mail NOT EMAIL everyone a weekly results/standings/league news letter (which most didnt get until thrs - so sometimes you didnt know if you won until then, etc...). THANK GAWD FOR THE INTERNET! :doublethumbsup:

If you had a newspaper, notebook, calculator and pen, how would it take 4 days to know whether you won your game? :blink:

If you had a newspaper, notebook, calculator and pen, how would it take 4 days to know whether you won your game? :clap:

I'm pretty sure he means the other owners in the league...not himself.

I invented it.

Beleive it or not I used to despise fantasy football. I hated watched my friends flip the channels when I was trying to watch one football game so they could check how a certain player was performing. Then 4 years ago I decided to give it a shot. I now regret threatening to kick their arses for switching the channel and I now have adopted the philosophy not to knock it till you try it. So afterwards I went out and slept with a 265 pound woman and that was a mistake but at least i tried it :banana:

Ahhhhhh - i remember the good ol days of having to score by hand (USA Today, a notebook, a calculater, & pen), then having to mail NOT EMAIL everyone a weekly results/standings/league news letter (which most didnt get until thrs - so sometimes you didnt know if you won until then, etc...). THANK GAWD FOR THE INTERNET! :banana:

:lol:

1992, took QBs back-to-back at the 1.12 and 2.02 turn (W Moon and J George). I believe Christian Okoye was the #1 overall pick. My team really suxored that year... and the next couple of years too.

and we used pen and paper and the mail (with stamps) to send out standings adn league info. I kind of laugh when I hear about the NFL wanting to charge for or put an end to fantasy footballers using their stats... unless they make the stats completely unavailable, they can't stop fantasy leagues.

Off the top of my head, I remember the following big fantasy impact items (though the exact years are sketchy):

- Jerry Rice's week one injury that kept him out for 16 (or so) weeks but never landed him on IR

- Favre and Emmitt as mid-to late 90's fantasy gold

- Carl Pickens... WOW!

- Herman Moore and Scott Mitchell... WOW!

- Fred Taylor OUT! James Stewart IN! Championship!

- Charlie Garner... most underrated fantasy performer ever!

- Karim Abdul Jabbar, 16 TDs!

- before it was "never bench Stephen Davis"... it was never bench Terry Allen

- Kordell Stewart's 32 TD season (11 rush)... the "slash" role caused a lot of controversy in our league.

I'm sure there's more. :thumbsup:

I created the league and the scoring and the way we drafted. Was 10 guys, we used a deck of cards to select draft order. We drafted by positions and re-picked the draft order every time.

I think 1989 was the year. We drafted QB, WR, RB, TE, K, D.

The same kid got the 1st pick for QB and WR. he took Montana and Rice and lost in the finals.

I was talked into by some guys at work about a week before they drafted.

Boy, did they work me over. It was a 1 Player Keeper league and I got talked into keeping Kordell Stewart, the two other newbies got to take Steve Young(found out later he was an injury risk) and Chris Carter.

Not too bad but, really bad when it turns out Terrell Davis was availible and got to be the 1st pick taken by the Vice-Commishner.

Thier RFUO backfired though as Young had a career year and that rookie won the whole league!!!

I won it twice a few years later and left it after seven years and a few disagreements.

:forrestgumpvoice: "Thats all I have to say about that."

I was talked into by some guys at work about a week before they drafted.

Boy, did they work me over. It was a 1 Player Keeper league and I got talked into keeping Kordell Stewart, the two other newbies got to take Steve Young(found out later he was an injury risk) and Chris Carter.

Not too bad but, really bad when it turns out Terrell Davis was availible and got to be the 1st pick taken by the Vice-Commishner.

Thier RFUO backfired though as Young had a career year and that rookie won the whole league!!!

I won it twice a few years later and left it after seven years and a few disagreements.

:forrestgumpvoice: "Thats all I have to say about tha

Sounds like my story. Talked into it at work. I didn't really want to play but was forced into it. I didn't mind I ended up with Marshall, Marshall, Marshall the first two years and the Padre next two years. I have won 5 of 6 superbowls. The only loss is when Manning went nuts. I guess that is one decision they regreted.

Stepdad got me into it in 1991. I just teamed up with him that year as I was 13 and just wanted to learn without shelling out the $50 buyin. 8-team touchdown-only league. I still have printouts of the rosters and scores.