Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Should they unionize?

He's kind of got a point though. I mean, nobody is forcing them to become bike messengers. It's not like the Bike Messenger Employers Association of America is actively recruiting kids in high school w/misleading offers of corner offices, stock options and 72 virgins... :thumbsdown: ...oh :( ...nevermind.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with him, I just admired his ability to slide 3 different sterotypical statements into 3 1 line paragraphs. You just cant teach talent like that.

ETA: ---40--- dumb, poor uneducated bike messengers.

ETA: ---40--- dumb, poor uneducated bike messengers.

Someone should have told the educated ones that "Art" isn't a real major. :(

There's a difference between

A)Do they actually deserve benefits and higher wages?

AND

B)Would they be better off if they unionized?

Those are completely different questions. Based on what I've read, my answers are

A)No

B)Yes

AND

Those are completely different questions. Based on what I've read, my answers are

A)No

B)Yes

I think they deserve benefits. If you're a bike messanger you're working in hazardous conditions (riding in traffic). If you get into an accident and injure yourself you can't continue to hold your job. At bare minimum I think an employer should compensate you for the hazards you are exposed to on the job. If you're a construction worker and get injured on the job, do you think the employer should be able to fire you without even providing health benefits? IMO it's a similar situation.

And Voltaire, you can't fax a lot of legal documents, or architecture plans, or proposals.

AND

A)No

B)Yes

I think it is the opposite.

You must not know very much about economics. The industry evolution theory/framework (can't remember what the fock it's called) is basically that a good will be produced in advanced nations (the US)

in its early stages because we have competitive advantages in entrepreneurship/developing new technologies and we have adaptible skilled labor. With time, it's oursourced overseas. We have no problems buying our shirts from another country. Shirt factory workers were up in arms decades ago. Does anyone give a rat's ass now? Sure, people are losing their jobs. But they'll find new ones. Maybe some people suffer, but they're enabling the long-term survival of the US. Steel mill workers, computer "technicians", call center folks. Sure, they have skills but it can be done cheaper elsewhere. The US is so successful because we haven't insulated ourselves and have a relatively open trade policy. The sky is falling. The sky was falling 50 years ago. It's all BS. The day our sky is falling is when we decide to protect ourselves from "competition" like France has. Check their economy. Check their unexmployment. Check their civil unrest. Our economy is better off for it. Not EVERYONE, but your children and your grandchildren will be.

Is this like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory where he electronically transmits a candy bar?

You can't fax a package :cheers:

you must know very little about what's actually going on in this country today. take your nose out of your econ book and walk the streets.

you must know very little about what's actually going on in this country today. take your nose out of your econ book and walk the streets.

Actually this may have been the only De Novo post I actually agreed with. :shocking:

I'd think the fax machine would make them obsolete, but I guess for legal reasons, firms want stamps and signatures and original documents.

Sh*t if they're unhappy with their lot and can pull it off, I'd say go for it. It'd be nice to get beneifits and for somebody to look out for them. But they'd need help from the AFL-CIO to get off the ground and prevent leaders from getting blackballed.

Oh Master of Stereotyping, I salute you!

Are you joking? Who did i stereotype? Its the same exact thing I would say to my son if he was a bike messenger and asked me why he doesnt have more benefits or a higher wage.

Jesus christ this generation is replete with phags, i mean something as innocuous as suggesting a person to go to college these days and im a fockin bigot. This is the horribly misguided product of the liberal movement, to destroy any semblance of accountability.

This PC sh!t is getting old. It time to start knockin muther fockers out. :banana:

This PC sh!t is getting old. It time to start knockin muther fockers out. :rolleyes:

:bench:

Who ya gonna start with, badass? Your skank wife or your mongoloid kid? :bench:

:bench:

Who ya gonna start with, badass? Your skank wife or your mongoloid kid? :rolleyes:

How bout you. And did you use the roll eyes icon you fukin faag?

How bout you. And did you use the roll eyes icon you fukin faag?

Come on down to Orlando! I'll send ya back home with your diaper full of sh!t. :lol:

seems pretty 'troll' like there mr hypocrite :banana:

Aww, look. The little chickenhawk has found someone else to stalk and :first: about!