Sign in to follow this  
tony hardware

Dow Reaches Pre 9/11, Pre-internet bust high

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Dow Jones industrial average briefly traded above its record high close from January 2000 Thursday morning before backing off.

The 30-share Dow (up 5.60 to 11,694.84, Charts), the world's most widely watched stock market gauge, was up a few points 45 minutes into the session after briefly trading about two points above the record close of 11,722.98, hit on Jan. 14, 2000. The Dow's record trading high is 11,750.28.

Republican President, Republican Congress. Let's see the Dems take credit for this one.

:thumbsup:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Dow Jones industrial average briefly traded above its record high close from January 2000 Thursday morning before backing off.

The 30-share Dow (up 5.60 to 11,694.84, Charts), the world's most widely watched stock market gauge, was up a few points 45 minutes into the session after briefly trading about two points above the record close of 11,722.98, hit on Jan. 14, 2000. The Dow's record trading high is 11,750.28.

Republican President, Republican Congress. Let's see the Dems take credit for this one.

:thumbsup:

:doh:

...the gov't has limited to no role in this, but that won't stop them from taking credit.

at some point and time, i think even the most ardent democrats are going to have to admit the tax cuts worked in bringing the economy back from 9/11.

i also think at some point and time, even the most ardent repubicans are going to have to admit that something has to give; either the war in iraq or the tax cuts, just can't continue to have both.

:(

...the gov't has limited to no role in this, but that won't stop them from taking credit.

Same as when it goes down it does not stop the other side from blaming it on who is in office either....

Same as when it goes down it does not stop the other side from blaming it on who is in office either....

;) now you get it!

at some point and time, i think even the most ardent democrats are going to have to admit the tax cuts worked in bringing the economy back from 9/11.

i also think at some point and time, even the most ardent repubicans are going to have to admit that something has to give; either the war in iraq or the tax cuts, just can't continue to have both.

Don't count on either one actually happening.

Sorry.

So it's only taken the Bush administration 5 1/2 years to get the economy back to where we where when Clinton left office.

Bully. :thumbsdown:

Tax cuts + huge deficit spending = push the problem into the future, for the next administration to deal with.

So it's only taken the Bush administration 5 1/2 years to get the economy back to where we where when Clinton left office.

Bully. :thumbsdown:

Tax cuts + huge deficit spending = push the problem into the future, for the next administration to deal with.

So 9/11 had nothing to do with causing a recession? :wub:

Regardless of the perspective, this is good news. Now, everyone go buy Google while you can still get it cheap. :P

405.46 a share is cheap? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be better to wait till it splits and then buy it?

yahoo at $ 25.18 is a much better buy right now

Bully. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but the market crashed while Clinton was still in office.

405.46 a share is cheap? :rolleyes:

goog is a $500 stock, or it will be by January. Watch the earnings.

perfect example of why political parties are trash... without them almost everyone would read this and say "hey, great news!"

but no, everyone got to be like "well the dems say this and the republicans say this and weve done a better"

its ok though, what the hell do I and george washington know?

Cant peak for ole' wooden teeth, but based upon the fact you play in a 6man FF league, I 'd say you probably dont know shiet :lol:

would my 3-0 record, and the fact that I wasn't even going to play but a friend needed a 6th man do anything to change that?

:(

Wow! It only took 6 years!

We know the Dems won't/can't take credit for "this one" because the Dems only get the blame when something in the Republican - controlled country goes wrong. :banana: But hey, at least the noob got his GOTCHA! for today!

Hopefully the stock market will be back to where it was under Clinton, and not just the Dow.

So 9/11 had nothing to do with causing a recession? :banana:

Unless you are either clueless about economics and history or you were born after 9/11/01 you know that the recession was already here before 9/11.

405.46 a share is cheap? :cry:

It's called sarcasm. :banana:

Wow! It only took 6 years!

We know the Dems won't/can't take credit for "this one" because the Dems only get the blame when something in the Republican - controlled country goes wrong. :pointstosky: But hey, at least the noob got his GOTCHA! for today!

Hopefully the stock market will be back to where it was under Clinton, and not just the Dow.

Unless you are either clueless about economics and history or you were born after 9/11/01 you know that the recession was already here before 9/11.

I agree that the recession began before Clinton left office which I why I love to hear dems blame Bush entirely for a struggling economy during his administration. However, did 9/11 not accelerate the recession? There is no way you can dispute that it exacerbated things. And yes, I was born on 9/11/01 - reborn into a neo-con brainwashed Patriotic hater of Islamic Radicals and pillow biting isolationists.

I'm out - going home - 5 PM EST - Give peace or get a peace b!tches.

Some people actually will not admit nor acknowledge this. :)

would my 3-0 record, and the fact that I wasn't even going to play but a friend needed a 6th man do anything to change that?

My 7 man team would kick your 6 man teams ass :mad: :mad: :mad:

My 7 man team would kick your 6 man teams ass :mad: :mad: :mad:

Not if swirvinirvin was on your team and it came down to him on the FT line having to make 2 free throws. :D

Hey, overcoming the Clinton Recession, the Dot-com bust, and 9/11 took awhile. Good thing Algore wasn't in office to raise taxes and send us into a depression.

huh? the economy wasnt close to this good when clinton left..... they had to recover from him, then deal with 9/11, a war, and gas prices... and they still got it this high

get off the crack

405.46 a share is cheap? :wacko:

I was shopping for beer this evening. 12-pack was $15. Kinda expensive, so I'm gonna wait til they get 6-packs in for $7.50 and buy 2 of 'em :thumbsup:

same thing

What's the point of arguing about who's responsible for this? Nobody's going to win. The economy was slowing down before Clinton left office, so there were things out of Bush's control, without even considering 9/11. Growth during Clinton's administration provided a nice recover-to point for the market. GHWB can be thanked for some of the growth during the Clinton administration, too. Bush's tax cuts were likely very effective post-9/11, but so were Greenspan's rate cuts. That lead to business investment and a surge in housing and it's reasonable to think that much of the recent economic strength is fueled by these two.

Wouldn't it be more constructive to discuss what can be done to continue this growth?

:rolleyes:

Congratulations to the GOP, they've brought this country to the year 2000. :blink: