Sign in to follow this  
DogDoc

retractable turf? what's the use?

I can understand a retractable roof, but turf? There are all kinds of golf courses in AZ that keep their fairways green with no trouble. Why do you need to retract the field? Seems like a huge waste of money. Maybe we could use something like that "up north"?

someone explain it to me, please!

I would assume that when it rains (does it rain in Arizona?), they can close the roof and it'll prevent the turf getting chewed up more so than regular.

Also, with it being very hot in the desert, they can probably close the roof and run some A/C through the building on hot Sunday afternoons, instead of having the players be dehydrated.

You are so right. I never thought about that.

I guess that is why the Devil Rays, Diamondbacks, Texans and Astros all have open roof stadiums.... Oh, wait. Maybe not. :rolleyes:

I have two words for you. SUPER BOWL

Yeah, they move the turf outside to the parking lot when they have conventions and stuff to soak up the sun. Did the same thing with a futbol stadium in Germany. It's inside an 18" deep box.

perhaps I wasnt clear. The retractable roof makes perfect sense.

I have a problem with retractable TURF, It seems silly to me.

I'm pretty sure they also use the actual building for conventions, banquets, etc. I think they are trying to preserve the turf by not having people walk over it all the time (even if it is covered in some form).

perhaps I wasnt clear. The retractable roof makes perfect sense.

I have a problem with retractable TURF, It seems silly to me.

Oh, that is different. I have two words for you. GILLETTE STADIUM.

If you have events on a grass field, then you end up with a field like the Patriots play on. This allows them to have a multi-purpose venue, while maintaining the footing for football players.

I'll give the events center stuff credit. I'm sure that is part of it. but I'm also sure a big part of it is because they want a dome which naturally will be climate controlled while STILL having real grass to play on instead of field turf. Yeah they can open the roof for light, but it is probably cheaper to drag the turf out 8 times a year than to try to A/C cool that huge dome after a 120 degree day.

And yeah, I'm sure a super bowl will be held there too.

I'll give the events center stuff credit. I'm sure that is part of it. but I'm also sure a big part of it is because they want a dome which naturally will be climate controlled while STILL having real grass to play on instead of field turf. Yeah they can open the roof for light, but it is probably cheaper to drag the turf out 8 times a year than to try to A/C cool that huge dome after a 120 degree day.

And yeah, I'm sure a super bowl will be held there too.

Yep. The reasons are for other conventions/events, and the ability to let grass grow (needs sunlight) without leaving the dome open.

Yep. The reasons are for other conventions/events, and the ability to let grass grow (needs sunlight) without leaving the dome open.

The opening isn't all that big... and since it's as high as it is... even with the roof open... the field wouldn't get much direct sunlight during the day. In winter (when the sun's lower) it'd get hardly any.

Being able to protect the grass during other events is just an added bonus.

It sems like the roof is not totally retractable, the hole in the roof makes it look more like Texas Stadium. I thought it would be like Miller Park - the whole roof opening to allow full sun onto the field - no problem growing grass even being much further north.

It sems like the roof is not totally retractable, the hole in the roof makes it look more like Texas Stadium. I thought it would be like Miller Park - the whole roof opening to allow full sun onto the field - no problem growing grass even being much further north.

The grass is retractable for several reasons.

First, as you noted, the roof is not fully retractable (wouldn't get full sun to all of turf -- a problem that plagues other retractable domes).

Second, the outdorr tray eliminates humidity problems that might otherwise occur inside the stadium if they tried to grow turf permanently inside. Do you know much water it takes to grow grass in Arizona? The grass tray has built in irrigation under the soil, and the tray prevents any water loss, all of which saves $ and is eco-friendly (at least moreso).

Third, the turf can easily and quickly (1 hr) be removed to provide access to the stadium floor for events and staging without tearing up the turf. The old ASU stadium used to have college games or concerts on Saturday, and then an NFL game on SUnday. Really bad for the grass. This field remains undisturbed outside the stadium until game day.

After a few decades of indoor teams trying to recreate grass-like turf (which seems to be a useless endeavor), it is nice to finally see an emphasis on the quality of turf. Having played on turf (i.e. concrete), I bet players love it.

Having played on turf (i.e. concrete), I bet players love it.

This is an interesting point... and something I always wondered about. Like you, I played a few games on artificial turf, and it is extremely unpleasant.

I could never figure out why players don't complain about the stuff... loudly.

The Nexturf stuff is a lot better for sure, but it is still not nice to fall on.

I wonder if it's a 'Company Line' type deal by the NFL... and players are discouraged from biatching about it.

This is an interesting point... and something I always wondered about. Like you, I played a few games on artificial turf, and it is extremely unpleasant.

I could never figure out why players don't complain about the stuff... loudly.

The Nexturf stuff is a lot better for sure, but it is still not nice to fall on.

I wonder if it's a 'Company Line' type deal by the NFL... and players are discouraged from biatching about it.

Always surprised me too. You'd hear references about how it is "not very giving" whenever someone would tear their ACL on artificial turf, but I am surprised it hasn't been more an issue. I guess it helps with speed, but I wasn't very fast, so I never got that benefit. :ninja:

Last I heard, the turf is real grass and they bring it outside for sun and rain and so it doesnt get trampled on at conventions.