Sign in to follow this  
TyCobb

Jack Murtha's math is a bit confusing

He says his great-grandfather fought in the civil war.

Murtha interviewed by Chris Matthews

I kinda get tired-head thinking about it. But setting aside the debate whether our American Civil War is analogous to modern day Iraq, I just can't see how that's even mathematically possible that Jack Murtha's great grandpa fought in a war in the 1860's.

Murtha was born in 1932. His dad had to be born between 1900-1910. That puts grandpa around 1880 and great grandpa around 1860. Tell me where I'm wrong. :headbanger:

I kinda get tired-head thinking about it. But setting aside the debate whether our American Civil War is analogous to modern day Iraq, I just can't see how that's even mathematically possible that Jack Murtha's great grandpa fought in a war in the 1860's.

Murtha was born in 1932. His dad had to be born between 1900-1910. That puts grandpa around 1880 and great grandpa around 1860. Tell me where I'm wrong. :doublethumbsup:

Or....

Murtha: 1932

Father: 1900

Grandfather: 1868

Great G: 1836... 24 yo at start of civil war. Each could have fathered a son at 32 yo.

I realize you are blinded by hatred for the man, but please use some focking common sense.

Two possibilities I can see. One, he meant his great-great-grandfather and simply misspoke or was mistaken. Two, your math is wrong. He was born in 1932, his father could have easily been born around 1895, his grandfather born around 1860 and his great-grandfather born around 1840. Great-grandfather has grandfather at age 20, grandfather has father at age 35, father has Jack at age 37. You can move the ages around if you like. Remember that each of these people doesn't have to be the oldest child of their parents.

Next thing you know he'll start borrowing Neil Kinnock's grandparents stories like Joe Biden does.

I realize you are blinded by hatred for the man, but please use some focking common sense.

I hate the man because I have a hard time figuring out how the math works? :lol:

Two possibilities I can see. One, he meant his great-great-grandfather and simply misspoke or was mistaken. Two, your math is wrong.

Yeah, it's possible. Just seems rather unlikely. Our generation is having children in their late 30's. But two or three generations ago they popped em out pretty early.

I suppose it's possilbe. Just sounds fishy.

TyCobb,

Given the literally HUNDREDS of times that GWB has misspoken, with such classics as, "A dictatorship would be a heckuva lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator," and MANY MANY other Holiday favorites...and given your undying support of him, would it be possible for you to, just this once, give the old man a break? :lol:

Love,

Dan

TyCobb,

Given the literally HUNDREDS of times that GWB has misspoken, with such classics as, "A dictatorship would be a heckuva lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator," and MANY MANY other Holiday favorites...and given your undying support of him, would it be possible for you to, just this once, give the old man a break? :lol:

Love,

Dan

No problem if he misspoke. I just thought it sounded like bloviating. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Dems aren't even in power yet and TyCobb is ripping them for ticky tack sh1t like this. My perdiction: Within the next two years we'll either be well on our way toward withdrawl from Iraq and spending is going to go down sharply, if only because Bush is more likely to veto a bill that was introduced by a Democrat, and despite that bitter Republicans - not to be confused with real conservatives - will be whining and moaning about it the whole way.

Dems aren't even in power yet and TyCobb is ripping them for ticky tack sh1t like this.

To be fair, we Dems have spent our fair share of time ripping Dubya over his Bushisms.

Dems aren't even in power yet and TyCobb is ripping them for ticky tack sh1t like this. My perdiction: Within the next two years we'll either be well on our way toward withdrawl from Iraq and spending is going to go down sharply, if only because Bush is more likely to veto a bill that was introduced by a Democrat, and despite that bitter Republicans - not to be confused with real conservatives - will be whining and moaning about it the whole way.

Can you read? Where did I rip Murtha? All I said was I couldn't figure out how his great grandpappy fought in the Civil War!!

You libs need to lighten up, Francis. You won for once. Relax. :(

BTW - If we win in Iraq and control spending under the Dems, I'll be as happy as the next fella. Really.

Yeah, it's possible. Just seems rather unlikely. Our generation is having children in their late 30's. But two or three generations ago they popped em out pretty early.

Past generations often had a lot more kids over a much wider time span. My Grandfather, fathered the last two (twins) of his nine kids at age fifty six.

Guest Davaco

at least he isnt gay and trying to toss the salad of a pre-teen boy

I just can't see how that's even mathematically possible that Jack Murtha's great grandpa fought in a war in the 1860's.

Murtha was born in 1932. His dad had to be born between 1900-1910. That puts grandpa around 1880 and great grandpa around 1860. Tell me where I'm wrong. :wall:

Wow how stupid are you?

IMO this is one of the lesser things that one could hold against Murtha.

The whole ABSCAM thing and his recently referring to a Dem bill on lobbying and ethics as "total crap" seem much more interesting things to discuss.

Even if you take Murtha at his word that he meant it was "crap" to have to deal w/ethics problems when there are seemingly more serious issues to deal with...I'd say that the American people, who are fed up w/the lobbying and ethics crap that Murtha and his fellow politicians get away with, would disagree w/his assessment.

Murtha was born in 1932. His dad had to be born between 1900-1910. That puts grandpa around 1880 and great grandpa around 1860. Tell me where I'm wrong. :thumbsdown:

His dad HAD to be born between 1900 and 1910? Are you psychic?

You further assume that his grandpa was between 20 and 30 when his father was born, and that his great grandfather was 20 when his grandfather was born.

Your assumptions are about as fuzzy as my nutsack.

His dad HAD to be born between 1900 and 1910? Are you psychic?

You further assume that his grandpa was between 20 and 30 when his father was born, and that his great grandfather was 20 when Murtha was born.

Your assumptions are about as fuzzy as my nutsack.

Maybe. It just sounded strange for someone to say their great grandpa fought in the Civil War. That's two centuries ago!! :ninja:

My great-great grandfather was 42 out the outset of the civil war, and I am 30 years younger than Murtha. His math is not off at all.