Sign in to follow this  
FrogAssassin

THE NFL finally got what they want...and it caused

If you watched the STEELERS vs BROWNS today you saw what the league is becoming.

The game is in the 4th quarter..browns up 20-10.

Pittsburgh has the ball.

Toothlessberger goes back for a pass and is pursued by the linemen.

Goes back..10 15 yards...Lineman wraps him up in a huge bearhug. Then lets go....yep...he lets go..because, he doesnt want a penalty, a fine, or some other ridiculous situation to come out of the refs mouths.

So instead of driving him to the turf for a sack...which he could have done easily...ben took 3 or 4 steps with the big guy on his back wrapped in a bear hug. The guy lets go and ben manages to keep his feet and proceeds to throw the ball out of bounds..avoiding the sack and the 15-20 yard loss. Effectively taking them out of fieldgoal range and maybe killing the drive. Perhaps they pull it out...perhaps this motivates the browns to win, I dont know if it directly affected the outcome of the game...but if you were watching the game you saw the tide turn and people in shock.

Thanks NFL for ruining the game. Its the first sign.

If you didnt see the play...dont bring you comments here until you do.

I saw the play and I think it's ridiculous what the NFL has come to in terms of the QB position. However, I do wonder if the Browns player shouldn't have stayed with the play. He threw his hands up and immediately turned away and towards the ref. If he was afraid to throw Ben to the ground, he might should have at least stayed with the play.

I'm a steelers fan, and I agree. The league will RUIN the game if they take the aggressiveness out of the game. Did you see the last game when Aaron Smith got a Roughing the Passer for landing on Brees's foot. WTF. Those calls will end up ruining the game. Total BS

I saw the play and I think it's ridiculous what the NFL has come to in terms of the QB position. However, I do wonder if the Browns player shouldn't have stayed with the play. He threw his hands up and immediately turned away and towards the ref. If he was afraid to throw Ben to the ground, he might should have at least stayed with the play.

I agree to some extent. But it was pretty obvious, even the announcers commented on it during the game. The guy obviously was driving big ben backwards 4-5 yards while having him in a bear hug. He didnt want a penalty or fine by driving him into the ground. Either way...the NFL put that indecision into his head to the point he could not do his job on the field.

I didn't see the play, but wasn't it "in the grasp"? Four or five yards in a bearhug?

I didn't see the play, but wasn't it "in the grasp"? Four or five yards in a bearhug?

Dont think they have that rule anymore..or at least it isnt enforced.

I listened to Browns radio station on the way home from the game. The Cleveland radio guys are saying when Ben faked a throw, the player thought he threw it and eased up. I was there live so I haven't seen the replay, but it didn't look like he had him in the grasp at all, but again I haven't seen the replay.

I was gonna post this same topic. I did not wanna seem like a whiner because my browns lost. The scary thing is that after the play everyone pretended like they had blinders on. Why could the ref not just step in and say he was in the grasp. No one seemed to care unless you were a brownsfan. Fat Crennel did not argue much about it. Perhaps he was choking on an oreo or maybe he was trying to stop super mario from saving the princess.( he looks like that big turtle koopa king or whatever) Point is the rule sucks and I am losing my taste for NFL football. There is always curling. a disc some brooms and a sheet of ice yahooo what fun

I was gonna post this same topic. I did not wanna seem like a whiner because my browns lost. The scary thing is that after the play everyone pretended like they had blinders on. Why could the ref not just step in and say he was in the grasp. No one seemed to care unless you were a brownsfan. Fat Crennel did not argue much about it. Perhaps he was choking on an oreo or maybe he was trying to stop super mario from saving the princess.( he looks like that big turtle koopa king or whatever) Point is the rule sucks and I am losing my taste for NFL football. There is always curling. a disc some brooms and a sheet of ice yahooo what fun

Cause in real speed, it did not at all look like in the grasp. I was there like a said, not a single fan booed either. I have a feeling slow motion is making this play look like something it wasn't. But I dont' know when I will be able to get to see the replay.

But the reason nobody did anything was because watching it live, it simply looks like the guy hit him and eased up??????????

Cause in real speed, it did not at all look like in the grasp. I was there like a said, not a single fan booed either. I have a feeling slow motion is making this play look like something it wasn't. But I dont' know when I will be able to get to see the replay.

But the reason nobody did anything was because watching it live, it simply looks like the guy hit him and eased up??????????

Why did he ease up??? Was it the NFL's ridiculous rules and penalties? Yeah..he could have driven him into the turf..woulda been ok a few years ago....but now its 10k and 15 yards and a first down.

Why did he ease up??? Was it the NFL's ridiculous rules and penalties? Yeah..he could have driven him into the turf..woulda been ok a few years ago....but now its 10k and 15 yards and a first down.

Oh, I agree that he eased up cause of the rule. No doubt. But I don't think he was in the grasp.

And after seeing Aaron Smith last week called for roughing the sock of Drew Brees, believe me I understand the babying of the QB taking place.

Maybe I am confusing the play with another now hours later, but I did see it. Didn't the Browns defender not just ease up, but start to celebrate his 'sack' by raising his arms up like he had put Roethlisberger down on the turf with the initial hit? To me that says that he just assumed Ben was going down and he gave up on the play -- like the Giants who gave up on the play last week when they missed the 54 yard field goal. I didn't see it as easing up to avoid the penalty. It was more like a missed tackle that the guy didn't follow up on. He assumed Ben was sacked -- you could tell by his celebration pose. You can't blame that one on the refs or the rule. Blame it on the guy who only plays for the first half of the play...

If you watched the STEELERS vs BROWNS today you saw what the league is becoming.

Pittsburgh has the ball.

Goes back..10 15 yards...Lineman wraps him up in a huge bearhug. Then lets go....yep...he lets go..because, he doesnt want a penalty, a fine, or some other ridiculous situation to come out of the refs mouths.

So instead of driving him to the turf for a sack...which he could have done easily...ben took 3 or 4 steps with the big guy on his back wrapped in a bear hug. The guy lets go and ben manages to keep his feet and proceeds to throw the ball out of bounds..avoiding the sack and the 15-20 yard loss. Effectively taking them out of fieldgoal range and maybe killing the drive. Perhaps they pull it out...perhaps this motivates the browns to win, I dont know if it directly affected the outcome of the game...but if you were watching the game you saw the tide turn and people in shock.

I agree with your post. But, did you see the Super Bowl last year? HAHA

Also a Steeler fan and have to agree this protecting the qb sh!t is killing the game. I watched that Ed dude head of the refs explain on total access how when sacking the qb a deffense player has to turn his body so he takes the blunt of the fall and don't put his weight on the qb. What a joke! Also the horse collar rule which got called on the browns is a bs rule. Was these bad calls ? no but just bad rules that are killing the game.

Also a Steeler fan and have to agree this protecting the qb sh!t is killing the game. I watched that Ed dude head of the refs explain on total access how when sacking the qb a deffense player has to turn his body so he takes the blunt of the fall and don't put his weight on the qb. What a joke! Also the horse collar rule which got called on the browns is a bs rule. Was these bad calls ? no but just bad rules that are killing the game.

Horse collar was called on Pittsburgh last week, as was the roughing the sock penalty on Brees

Horse collar was called on Pittsburgh last week, as was the roughing the sock penalty on Brees

Yea can't blame the refs for making these calls just blame the league for making these stupid rules turning the game of football into pvssy league.

His name is Mike Preriera or something ain't it? Whatever it is... he's a flipping douche.

I'm not stupid, and I understand that QB's are important to the game and the economic viability of the NFL... which is why they're doing all this crap. But... c'mon!

I remember having this discussion many, many years ago with the guys I played with in college... that the movement that had started to protect QB's was gonna ruin football. Looks like it's well on it's way.

I don't think we're too far away from having QB's wear red jerseys during games... it's getting stupid.

Wake up NFL... the fans don't like this.

Yea can't blame the refs for making these calls just blame the league for making these stupid rules turning the game of football into pvssy league.

It's not a pvssy league, it's a multi billion dollar business that must protect it's most valuable money making assets :dunno: .

:dunno: :cheers: What's it matter, the Steelers and Browns aren't making the playoffs :lol: . This effected the NFL how? :lol:

Point is there making the nfl not as fun to watch with these lame rules. Injuries will happen reguardless and just let these guys play football. Football is a full contact sport and thats what it has been and always should be.

It's not a pvssy league, it's a multi billion dollar business that must protect it's most valuable money making assets ;) .

Yep and that exactly why they put these rules in place. But what they dont relize is fans will lose interest if more of these lame rules come in.

Football is a full contact sport and thats what it has been and always should be.

:dunno: D@mn NFL football, and it's group showering program.

But what they dont relize is fans will lose interest if more of these lame rules come in.

I won't.

Actually...all these things to protect people and guys are dropping like flies...look at today for example.

I think by not allowing it...players are getting frustrated and just hit harder lol.

As per the guy who said he thought he was celebrating...no..he pulled his hands away like he touched a hot pan...looking at the ref like "I didn't do it" I think he thought ben was going down after he rode him.

I think he thought ben was going down after he rode him.

Afterall, It's only fair to your partner to go down after you are ridden.

:lol: :lol: What's it matter, the Steelers and Browns aren't making the playoffs :lol: . This effected the NFL how? :lol:

Yeah, cause if Jags lose next week Steelers are 1 game out of a tie for the last wildcard spot. Too hard to make up one game over the next 6 games. :mellow:

There was a 15 yard penalty called on Dallas today for roughing the passer that was totally absurd. The guy, I swear, just bumped into Peyton and even tried to help keep Peyton from falling when he stumbled (Peyton never fell)...and they still threw the flag. I'm a Colts fan and that was just a sickening call...what is the league coming too?

Pittsburgh has the ball.

I saw the play. Thanks for your original thought, considering the announcer commented on it instantly. And this ruins the game? Way to overreact. I agree that the NFL babies players too much, but the NFL is the best pro league there is, and you think this one thing ruined the game. You're a drama queen. :pointstosky:

Lineman wraps him up in a huge bearhug. Then lets go....yep...he lets go..because, he doesnt want a penalty, a fine, or some other ridiculous situation to come out of the refs mouths.

So instead of driving him to the turf for a sack...which he could have done easily...ben took 3 or 4 steps with the big guy on his back wrapped in a bear hug. The guy lets go and ben manages to keep his feet and proceeds to throw the ball out of bounds..avoiding the sack and the 15-20 yard loss.

There is no penalty or fine for a defensive player maintaining his wrap until the whistle blows. The Cleveland player failed to do that. He quit on the play before the whistle blew and deserves the blame more than the rules protecting QBs.

There is no penalty or fine for a defensive player maintaining his wrap until the whistle blows. The Cleveland player failed to do that. He quit on the play before the whistle blew and deserves the blame more than the rules protecting QBs.

I hate to say it, but I gotta agree.

I did not see the play, but my opinion is....until the ref blows the whistle, the QB is fair game. I can understand why he hesitated, because if the QB faked the throw as he was wrapping him he coulda thought the ball was gone (which would be a reason they would call the penalty) However, if you are unsure, you keep the guy wrapped up, and take him down.

If this situation is truly as described, the fault is with the ref for not blowing the play down. 5 seconds is way too long to be wrapped up with no whistle. I personally dont care if the QB had thrown the ball or not. This IS a full contact league and the QB has to expect to take some hits. If he throws him to the ground I think it's fair. Its Plays where the QB has thrown the ball and gets violently slammed to the turf head first that I dont wanna see. Taking him down is not a crime and shouldnt be considered one. If the ref wanted to protect the QB, he should blow the whistle as soon as the wrap is made and held for more than 2 seconds.

Glad someone said it. Why not put the blame where it really should be... with the player. A bear hug is not a penalty. And until that wistle blows he should have continued to hug him.

Exactly ! :dunno:

I also think the announcers got that wrong when they blamed the NFL rules of protecting the QB.

:thumbsup: STEELERS WIN !!!! :cheers:

While I agree with the sentiment that the "protect the QB" rules are getting out of hand, the Browns player didn't have Ben in anything close to a bear-hug on the play, and it was on only an instant that Ben was off-balance. I watched the game, and I went back and watched the play again.

He came in, knocked Ben backwards and as Ben was stumbling back he let up because he didn't want to drive him into the ground. Right or wrong, the whistle hadn't blown yet and Ben was right there to be finished off. Instead, Ben regained his balance and made a play.

Fear of a penalty or fine was definitely the reason Ben wasn't sacked on the play, but the Browns player could've definitely given a stronger effort than he did to take Ben down.

i totally agree with the last few posts.

the rule is to protect the qb's from excessive punishment and cheap shots and i think the refs are told to err on the side of caution to protect the qb's.

i need to see the play again to get a more concrete opinion of it but i don't think ben was 'in the grasp' for very long before the guy let him go. i agree that he let him go for fear of a penalty but he should've held on until the wistle blew. i'm not sure if he thought ben went down and he was celebrating or if he was immediately pleading to the refs that they should've blown the play dead.

i also think that if he would've taken ben down without slamming his weight on top of him that he would be less likely to get a penalty than if he tried to punish ben. actually, the dude was in a tough spot because if ben had gotten rid of the ball then the refs wouldn't blow the wistle for 'in the grasp' because the play would possibly still be going on downfield if he had completed the pass. also, if ben had gotten rid of the ball, i think the refs are more likely to give a penalty if he had taken ben down gently or not.

i guess the guy should've tried to figure out if ben still had the ball or not before letting him go. i know that can be easier said than done but it doesn't seem like that hard of a thing to do when you have a guy wrapped up.

i'm no expert on the intracacies of the rules or anything but i thought the call on brees last week was just a bad call and the league shouldn't be blamed. i guess the ref just errored on the side of caution and they want the defensive players to do anything they can to avoid "accidental" rollups and cheap shots on qb's.

My question is how can you be a Brown's fan? :banana:

It seemed to me that the Browns player, Eason, thought Ben threw the ball away so he let go of him... admittedly this was likely for fear of a penalty/fine. However, Ben still had the ball. Eason's mistake. He should have stayed with the play until he heard the whistle.

My question is how can you be a Brown's fan? :huh:

It's called showing love and loyalty to your home team, and not being a front runner son of a beach. Thats the reason the Cleveland Browns have the best Fans in all of the NFL even though they havent had a winning season since 1999. Now hurry up and go jump on a new bandwagen you unloyal trash.

It looked to me like the defensive player didn't realize that Ben still had the ball, he kind of made a fake and tucked it. I think that if the defender knew he still had it, he would have finished the tackle and legally too. Sometimes I think you need to just play the game and let the referee call it the way he sees it, and let the chips fall where they may. You can't let up because you are afraid of being penalized.

It's called showing love and loyalty to your home team, and not being a front runner son of a beach. Thats the reason the Cleveland Browns have the best Fans in all of the NFL even though they havent had a winning season since 1999. Now hurry up and go jump on a new bandwagen you unloyal trash.

Let's ask Art Modell about that.

I think the roughing the passer rule is the problem, and the interpretation by the refs and fines by the league are what is frustrating. Last week a 49er DB sacked the Lions QB with a pretty hard hit, was on top 10 replays everywhere. Mike Ferrera, officiating VP said it was a clean hit because he hit the qb on the side and didn't land on top of him with all of his weight. Later that week the niners cb found a letter from the league in his locker with a fine for that hit. I don't think anyone knows how to properly interprit this rule, players, coaches, refs, or the league office. That is what the real problem is here. The result is defensive players letting the qb go instead of tackling him, and the offense getting a free play out of it, maybe that's what the NFL wants, more offense?

Did anyone else see in that game where a roughing the qb was called when two browns player hit rothlesburger during a int run back. Another bs call. Thanks league.

I think the roughing the passer rule is the problem, and the interpretation by the refs and fines by the league are what is frustrating. Last week a 49er DB sacked the Lions QB with a pretty hard hit, was on top 10 replays everywhere. Mike Ferrera, officiating VP said it was a clean hit because he hit the qb on the side and didn't land on top of him with all of his weight. Later that week the niners cb found a letter from the league in his locker with a fine for that hit. I don't think anyone knows how to properly interprit this rule, players, coaches, refs, or the league office. That is what the real problem is here. The result is defensive players letting the qb go instead of tackling him, and the offense getting a free play out of it, maybe that's what the NFL wants, more offense?

Did anyone else see in that game where a roughing the qb was called when two browns player hit rothlesburger during a int run back. Another bs call. Thanks league.