Sign in to follow this  
football_scooter

Top 10 Mental Pictures From the NFL

of course all the ones mentioned above.

Steve Young to T.O. for TD and win versus the Packs. I cried cuz I love the game, the Niners and how genuine a moment it was.

Cardiac Kids vs the Raiders.... Brian Sipe, Lester Hayes, the whole game.

in addition to some that have already been mentioned:

- Ben Watson's rundown of Champ Bailey vs. Den in playoffs

- Antonio Freemans monday night circus catch (a few years ago)

- Joe jurevicious tip to himself circus catch (a few years ago)

- Lynn Swann's acrobatic endzone TD catch (perhaps my earliest favorite NFL play)

- Patriots snow plow Field Goal

- Barry Sanders one shoe run

- Marino's fake spike

I'm sure there are many more.

Too lazy to do a top 10, but I'll do a top 5.

1) McNair back to pass, completes to Dyson... tackled by Mike Jones.. he reaches out... SHORT. Rams win the first Superbowl of the new millenium. :pointstosky:

2) Issac Bruce catches 80 yard bomb to go ahead 7 in the same game of course. We had just spent he entire weekend in Vegas for a buddy's birthday and left town to bet the traffic. Stopped at Stateline (of CA and NV) to wacth the game. Boxing arena with about 1000 people in it with huge jumbo-trons and bleacher seating that made a ton of noise when stomped on. Lots of Rams holdovers (like me) in the house going nutz... my buddy (who's a Cleveland fan) was asleep. What a f@g (not that there's anything wrong with it... Kramer on the other hand).

3) Atwater hits Okoye in the hole on Monday night football. Still the best hit I have ever seen all things considered (size... ;) )

4) Elway gets the ball with two minutes left against the Chiefs and drives down for the go ahead TD. Only problem is Montana was on the other side and there was still a minute left. Don't these guys play Madden? You know what happened next. Greatest exhibition of two QB's I have ever seen.

5) As much as I hate to say it, Jerry Rice catching the ball with one hand without breaking stride against the Rams on Monday Night Football. I saw the game in person and was in complete awe.

What a great topic this has turned into - I remember so many of the plays mentioned by others...bringing back a lot of fond memories. Thanks all - keep 'em coming.

How about Martin Grammatica suffering a season ending injury celebrating a kick?

:pointstosky: <= kickers

obviously we all have our own homer-slants on things...

- Ricky Proehl, wearing a Rams uniform, flashing the #1 sign and proclaiming: "tonight a Dynasty is born" right before the start of the '01 Superbowl! :pointstosky:

- Desmond Howard's touchdown return in the Superbowl :sad:

Kellen Winslow being carried off the field by his teammates....

Oh heck yes! Not to mention the hook and lateral just before halftime that brought the Dolphins back in the game.

Here are a few others:

The Bavaro reception where he carried about 8 San Fran defenders for 20 or so yards after the catch. (I know Kopy already mentioned this play, but I thought I'd emphasize how the defenders were bouncing off Bavaro--it was like a pinball machine).

Homer Jones (Yup, I'm showing my age here) tossing off two defenders like a rodeo bull on his way to a long touchdown.

YA Tittle (Yup, I'm showing I'm ancient here) battered and bloody on the field.

Phil McConkey (NYG punt returner) getting creamed and "helicoptered" by a San Fran player (I think it was Tim Rothman, a fullback--I may not have the name right), then bouncing immediately to his feet and urging on his team.

A San Fran RB (I think it was Roger Craig) running over about 43 guys on his way to a TD.

What a great topic this has turned into - I remember so many of the plays mentioned by others...bringing back a lot of fond memories. Thanks all - keep 'em coming.

How about Martin Grammatica suffering a season ending injury celebrating a kick?

:cry: <= kickers

That was Bill Gramatica but we all know what you mean.

I recall Flipper Anderson when he set the NFL record for receiving yards in a game

Elway and the 1st and 98

Bo Jackson's career ending injury he was my favorite player

Jack Youngblood playing the Superbowl with a broken leg

Jack Squirek's interception on Theisman in the Super Bowl then the Redskins complained that the Raiders had secretly taped some practices.

John Riggin's run vs. the Dolphins on 4th down in the SuperBowl. The 70 chip play. Only if the Redskins could run that play now LOL.

Without a doubt, it's Gary "I haven't missed a field goal all year" Anderson missing a field goal in the NFC Championship against Atlanta. That was probably the best Viking team ever. :unsure:

obviously we all have our own homer-slants on things...

I thought my "mental pictures" of the Dallas Cowboys returning to America's Team to be the team of the 90s was everyones homer slant...no ? :P

Ex Cowboy fan from the Staubach, Danny White, through Aikman era.

Translation: "Bandwagon Cowboy fan when they were good. Big Patriots fan now."

:banana:

okay....here is a couple from a Packer perspective..

Desmond Howard's kickoff return for a TD against New England in the Super Bowl...totally changed the momentum of the game after New England had scored to pull within 6 points. After that return, you knew the game was over.

Can't remember the year, but it was a regular season game against the Vikings. Reggie White is going after Warren Moon and Chris Carter is in the backfield(for whatever reason) trying to block him. Reggie takes that big old arm of his and literally tosses Chris Carter about 7 yards back like a rag doll right into Moon's legs.

On a recent National note: Joe Namath being interviewed on the sideline by that female reporter in a drunken stupor telling her that he wanted to kiss her....that was one of the funniest things...also funny one was when some fan threw a snowball in the Monday night booth and it hit Phil Simms.

first 10 to come to mind:

-Steve Largent plastering Mike Harden

-Napoleon McCallum's knee injury on MNF

-Alexander Wright catching the TD on 4th down in the corner of the end zone to beat Denver and send LA to the playoffs

-The Catch

-The Catch II -> "Owens! Owens! Owens! Owens!" vs Green Bay

-Ben Roethlisberger tackling Nick Harper by a piece of his ankle

-Don Beebe stripping Leon Lett at the goal line

-Jack Tatum's hit on Frenchy Fuqua, causing the ball to bounch off Fuqua and (illegally) into the hands of Franco Harris

-Tom Brady fumbling and Greg Biekert jumping on it

-Sea Of Hands

The John Elway helicopter spin.

Frank Reich stepping in for Kelly and mounting the "comeback" I was 15 at the time and my dad called me in to watch it. It was nuts.

I was hoping for an all-Texas Super Bowl that year. My son kept coming into the room saying "Buffalo scored AGAIN!!!"

Here's another:

Jerome Bettis' fumble in last year's AFC Championship game that almost cost the Steelers a spot in the Super Bowl. I remember after he fumbled it and seeing the Colt player running with the ball, feeling so BAD for Bettis - it being his would-be last game and all. And then, miraculously Rothlesberger gets a hand out there to make a game saving tackle and then Vandercrack missing the FG. Also, I remember wanting to call my brother to see if he was watching what was transpiring after the Bettis fumble as I had done so many times in the past while watching a Great game, only to be saddened by the fact, that my brother had passed away about a month before. That was when it really sunk in to me that my brother was no longer with us here on earth.....but then I thought to myself...I know he is watching from above. Sorry for the sappiness...but it is true and that is why I will never forget that play on that day.

I think it was the opening Monday night game in 01. Denver and St. Louis. Az Hakim and I think it was Holt. They were racing one another down the sideline because they had everyone so beat it was a joke. They were talking to one another all the way to the endzone.

some others that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

-Super Bowl, Jan 1973: Garo Yepremian's interception returned for a TD by the Redskins. Some dude on the Dolphins' sideline with his helmet off and a huge fro saying, "Day-umn!" :first:

-Super Bowl, Jan 1984: Marcus Allen's 74 yard reverse-direction TD run. I'm sure somebody mentioned it and I just missed it.

-Don Beebe getting flipped over and falling straight down on the top of his head (and bouncing)

-Bo Jackson's career-ending hip injury against Cincinnati

-Steve Atwater flattening Christian Okoye

-1999 NFC Championship: Bert Emanuel's controversial non-catch in the NFC Championship... after that play the NFL focked with the rules for what is and isn't a catch and now those rules are a huge idiotic closterfock, and we now get moronic calls like the Troy Polamalu non-INT against Indy as a result of that play.

-2000 AFC Championship: Shannon Sharpe's 96 yard TD to take a 7-0 lead over the Raiders. I was in the end zone where they hiked the ball and the pre-snap noise was unbelievable. Then dead-silent as he ran for seemingly minutes to the other end zone, I just remember thinking, "Fock. We are never gonna score 7 points against these guys."

-1999 Jets/Raiders, Rich Gannon scrambling and breaking tackles to throw the winning TD pass on 4th down to beat the Jets 24-23. Most exciting ending to a game that I have seen live.

-2000 Raiders/Seahawks, on a rainy night, down 24-19 Ricky Watters breaks free for a 60 yard run or so, caught from behind by Charles Woodson, fumbles the ball forward about 15 yards, Marques Pope falls on it and slides on the wet turf a yard into the end zone, tackled for a safety that would ultimately be the difference in Seattle's comeback win.

-Matt Bryant's 62-yard field goal to beat Philly this year

-The King decking Torry Holt and then offering him a Whopper

Napolean MCallum's knee...

Watching J Lambert run on to the field on dec 28th, 1984 at Joe Robby...

Franco Harris' catch...

Lynn swann balarina catch vs dallas...

Watching my FFoe lose after having a lead vs the chicago defense against arizona earlier this year.

Jeremy shockey running over a safety pre-season his R year.

M Allen TD run...

9. Tony Dorsett's 99 yard dash with the stiff arm

I was a 10-11 Year old kid, sitting on the 50 yard line with my dad, (run side) for that Monday night football game, and I will never ever forget that moment... It was incredible, especially the end of the play after he made it past the last tackler... AMAZING IT WAS !!!!

A 99 and 1/2 yarder I think ???? :thumbsup: MB

1. In my first ever game in person, Houston Oilers @ New Orleans Saints preseason game. I remember Gene Atkins intercepting Cody Carlson. I saw that pick coming from a mile away.

2. Don Beebe running down Leon Lett

3. Ricky Jackson and Pat Swilling converging on Dave Kreig form either side and sandwiching him inspiring me to coin the term "swill-jacked."

4. Flipper Anderson catching one of many long bomb back when he set the NFL single game receiving yard record against the Saints.

5. Offensive linemen for the Broncos getting his ankle twisted completely around during their 55-10 loss to the 49ers in the Super Bowl.

6. Bo Jackson's hip breaking run

7. The Bengals/Browns divisional playoff game where they were going back and forth in the fourth quarter until the Bengals forced a fumble by a Browns runningback as he was going into the endzone. This was probably one of the greatest football games ever played.

8. T.O. getting knocked off the star by George Teague

9. Barry Sanders breaking off a 65 yard run to break the 2000 yard mark.

10. I can't remember who it was but I remember some guy was jumping over the pile on a third and short situation and he got upended and he ended up doing a cartwheel and landing on his feet and running for a touchdown. I guess it's not that engrained in my memory. :dunno:

In no particular order:

5. Steve Young's totally ungraceful belly flop into the end zone after a 30 yd run.

This one reminded me of the run he had against the Saints in Candlestick where he ran for something like 101 yards including a 40 or so yarder where he broke about 6 tackles on the way to the endzone.

This one reminded me of the run he had against the Saints in Candlestick where he ran for something like 101 yards including a 40 or so yarder where he broke about 6 tackles on the way to the endzone.

Actually, that was the one....I think it was 49 yds, but I didn't want to err to the long side or people would say I was exaggerating...I have DrJ and Sho on pins and needles waiting to pounce & rip me for any slight imperfection in my knowledge you know. :D

It was the same one that Burger King made a commercial of with the King superimposed via CGI.

The run was spectacular - the belly flop was laughable and perhaps the most ungraceful thing I've ever seen a football player do but I loved it all the same.

:dunno:

One that I think of is not necessarily a big play, but one that was game changing.

Giants/49ers back in the day, I believe it was the NFC Championship. Leonard Marshall hitting Montana from the blindside, drilling him into the ground (with his weight on top), and after the play is over, not being able to see Montana's body because Marshall was on top of him. The picture is seeing Marshall getting up and seeing Montana laying their motionless on the ground. At that point, I honestly thought Montana was dead.

To this day it's the most devastating hit I've ever seen on live TV.

:dunno: I remember that I thought he was dead too. seriously.

:dunno: I remember that I thought he was dead too. seriously.

The saying, "held our collective breaths" applies to all Niner fans that day. We too thought he was dead. He didn't move for a good 2 minutes. :D

first 10 to come to mind:

-Steve Largent plastering Mike Harden

-Napoleon McCallum's knee injury on MNF

-Alexander Wright catching the TD on 4th down in the corner of the end zone to beat Denver and send LA to the playoffs

-The Catch

-The Catch II -> "Owens! Owens! Owens! Owens!" vs Green Bay

-Ben Roethlisberger tackling Nick Harper by a piece of his ankle

-Don Beebe stripping Leon Lett at the goal line

-Jack Tatum's hit on Frenchy Fuqua, causing the ball to bounch off Fuqua and (illegally) into the hands of Franco Harris-Tom Brady fumbling and Greg Biekert jumping on it

-Sea Of Hands

Who actually watched that play? I missed it and the only replays that I've ever seen are the edited ones (where they show the hit and then quickly switch to that slow-motion shot of Franco Harris catching the ball at his shoestrings and then they quickly switch back to where he's scoring).

Is there a replay of that play exactly as it happened?

some plays i will always remember:

1-jerry's 215yd super bowl

2-john taylor's super bowl winning td from montana

3-roger craig's fumble versus lt and the giants in the '90 nfc chmpshp game [botched the 3-peat]

4-jerry's 295-3 monday night versus the vikes

5-young-TO game winner versus packers

6-moss' 2 opening day bombs versus bucs from brad johnson

7-manning/colts comeback versus bucs on MNF

8-rams-broncos opener in 2000

9-barry's 2 80yd tds in a game versus bucs

10-barry's 75yd screen pass td in final seconds versus bucs

11-hearst's 96yd OT td run versus jets opening day '98

12-emmitt's 80yd(?) TD run versus eagles after holding out 2 games

13-emmitt's opening play(?) 65yd TD run versus giants on MNF

14-marshall's 4tds versus bucs on MNF

top plays i remember that epitomize these players and their skill/dominance:

6-derrick thomas 7 sacks versus raiders [ferocity, agility, tenacity]

5-favre bombing 399-4 on MNF after father's death [charisma, focus, howitzer]

4-emmitt's 175rush/10recs/62rec in last game of season versus giants to win division with separated shoulder [desire, toughness]

3-jerry's 81yd TD on slant pass from grbac versus dallas, covered by deion [precision]

2-moss 165-3 versus dallas on thanksgiving '98 [speed, explosion]

1-montana's game winning td to willie davis on MNF versus elway and broncos after elway took lead minute earlier [leadership, poise, command]

some celebrations i remember:

ernest givens doing the backflip

some oilers receiver (givens? jeffries?) doing the machine gun and everyone falling down

TO-sharpie

TO-ray ray

shockey-catching 1yd jumpball on dawkins in season ender, then nodding his head in dawkins face

joe horn-cellphone

steve smith-lying down strike a model pose

cjohnson-CPR

moss-shoot the moon

And the best one yet:

Football_Scooter crashing into the Reality Wall. Oh wait, that happens every time he posts something.

Jk, Scooter--your post was a great idea. Posters here have come up with a lot of plays that otherwise would've slipped my ever-diminishing memory. :bench:

Also (in case they've been missed, and probably deservedly so) how about Joe Morrison (a slow, unathletic but over-achieving NYG RB) chugging into the end zone with three defenders draped over him (I think it was against Washington), and Fran Tarkenton scrambling around for about 5 minutes before finally throwing a pass. I don't recall what the result of the play was, but I do recall CBS cameras focusing on a defensive lineman, hands on his knees and obviously exhausted from chasing around that "l'il chit".

1-jerry's 215yd super bowl

Remember that long TD he caught when he bounced off the safety and into the endzone. I knew it was going to be a long day for the Broncos after that.

1) Lawrence Taylor "snapping" Joe Thiesman's leg. I will never forget that.

That's mine!

Easily #1.. I'll never forget that!

as far as the other 9 go? hell, I'm too lazy to think right now, so we'll just stick with #1 and insert 9 various Broncos plays starting with Elways leap for a first down in the Super Bowl!

Did you mean Kevin Dyson in the Super Bowl? :cry:

And I LOVE this.. correcting the topic starter on a topic like this... :first: :dunno:

Brady in the Tuck Rule game against the Raiders...he ran for a TD from about 4 yards out, he spiked the ball so hard on the ground that he fell over. At that point I new that guy was a Champion... :cry:

Tim Krumrie of the Bengals when he broke his leg in the Super Bowl vs the 49ers. That was SICK.

ernest givens doing the backflip

Not sure if it's the same memory, but I'm not sure if he actually did a backflip as a celebration, but I remember when a DB drilled Givens low near the goaline and he did a full flip into the end-zone.... looked like that sh!t hurt :banana:

I NEVER SAW THIS LIVE JUST ON HIGHLIGHTS, but I can't believe no one mentioned that one Earl Campbell run when he's trucking people over and they all shredded his jersey off his back while he kept running people over.... That S.O.B. was NASTY !!!!!

One a play I did see live was Lions old RB Billy Simms when decided to try to leap through a hole on a pitch play and his verticle got him up so high he decided to use a linebackers neck as a spring board to get an extra 5 yards..... another beast of a runner...

Many of mine were already listed, but I didn't see that anyone mentioned Bart Starr falling over the goal line in the Ice Bowl.

Here's an obscure one. Danny White changing the play and the camera catching Tom Landry mouthing the words "No! Danny! NO!! Of course, the play failed.