Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

You guys wanna talk about the Royals?

and how they'll be competitive if not this year then at the least next? :banana:

or we can talk about the Jayhawks and the shilacking they put on the game c0cks yesterday :D

Geez man it's only been a couple of days. We're not done ragging on your Chiefs yet!!!

my daughter can say "lets go Jayhawks" except it kinda sounds like "eets oh ee-hawks!" and then she claps like she's cheering them on :banana:

I have a question.........

Why does a team that never has any money to sign any of its own superstars, suddenly drop $55mil on Gil Meche..............Gil Meche people !

I have a question.........

Why does a team that never has any money to sign any of its own superstars, suddenly drop $55mil on Gil Meche..............Gil Meche people !

as one great songwriter would say, "the times they are a changin"

Do you remember when the royals had:

George Brett

Bo Jackson

Kevin Seitzer

Jim Eisenreich

Brett Saberhagen

Kevin Appier

Tom Gordon

Mark Gubicza

and used to win more that 60 games in a year?

my daughter can say "lets go Jayhawks" except it kinda sounds like "eets oh ee-hawks!" and then she claps like she's cheering them on :pointstosky:

that is you when you are drinking.

What do these players have in common?

Bob Hamelin, Kansas City Royals, DH

Carlos Beltrán, Kansas City Royals, OF

Angel Berroa, Kansas City Royals, SS

What do these players have in common?

Bob Hamelin, Kansas City Royals, DH

Carlos Beltrán, Kansas City Royals, OF

Angel Berroa, Kansas City Royals, SS

All rookies of the year. Also they're either no longer playing baseball, suck terribly or are no longer with the Royals.

What do I win?

Royals season tickets?  :cry: 

Do any of these ring a bell?

Johnny Damon

2000 Career Highlights:

Set new career highs in nearly every offensive category, including batting (.327), at bats (655), runs (136), hits (214), doubles (42), RBI (88) and stolen bases (46)...Set a new Royals record for runs, breaking the old mark of 133 established by Willie Wilson in 1980...His 214 hits were the 3rd highest single season total in club history behind Willie Wilson's club record 230 in 1980 and George Brett's 215 in 1976...Led the AL in R and SB...2nd in the league behind Anaheim's Darin Erstad in both H and AB..

Carlos Beltran

2004 Career Highlights:

Became the 13th player in major league history and only the second switch-hitter to belt 35 or more home runs, drive in 100 or more runs and steal 35 or more bases...Led all major league switch-hitters with 83 extra-base hits...Established a career-high with 38 home runs...Also became the 28th player in the history of baseball to compile 30 or more home runs and 30 or more stolen bases in a single season...Was named to his first All-Star team...Was voted to the American League team, but after he was traded from Kansas City to Houston...

Jermaine Dye

2001 Career Highlights:

Combined to hit .282 (169-599) with 26 home runs and 106 RBI with Kansas City and Oakland ... was acquired by the A's on 6/25 as part of a three-team, five-player deal that also included Colorado ...

Raul Ibanez

2003 Career Highlights: Hit .294 for 2nd straight season with 95 runs scored, 90 RBI and a team-leading 33 doubles...finished sixth in the AL with a .319 average against right-handed pitchers...9th in the league with 56 multi-hit games...

ESPN article on Greinke

Talent intact, Greinke is back

posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry

Zack Greinke's legs were folded underneath him, Indian-style, as he waited for his turn in the Kansas City bullpen this past Sept. 24. The Royals were about to play their final home game of the season, and with the roster expanded, a handful of Kansas City pitchers needed to get in some throwing. Nothing serious, just some daily maintenance work from the rubber.

When it was Greinke's turn to take the mound, he peeled off his jacket and stepped to the rubber. "He threw 15 four-seam fastballs," recalled Kansas City general manager Dayton Moore, "and hits the glove every time." The bullpen catcher shifted his target, move over the inside corner, the outside corner, down. It didn't matter; Greinke's control was flawless. Pop ... pop ... pop .... "It was a thing of beauty," Moore said. "His delivery repeated, every single pitch. The guy is talented."

Greinke had reached the big leagues at age 20, produced a respectable 3.97 ERA in 24 starts in 2004. He was considered to be one of the best young pitchers in baseball, and, because of his remarkable control and the movement on his fastball, he was often compared to Greg Maddux.

But Greinke went 5-17 with a 5.80 ERA in 2005, and this past spring, he left the Royals' camp after only a few days, because of psychological issues related to anxiety. He received treatment, returned to the minor leagues and threw well -- better than his numbers indicate, Moore believes -- and will be an intriguing member of the Royals' pitching staff in spring training.

Moore replaced Allard Baird as Royals' general manager in the midst of the 2006 season, and met Greinke for the first time this past summer. "He's very polite, considerate," Moore said. "He's a gentleman. He's a typical 22-year-old kid, put into a situation faster ..."

Moore's voice trailed off. As a member of the Atlanta front office, he recommended many young players for the big leagues, based on the player's swing, his performance, his pitch quality. Sometimes a player seems ready because of his ability, when in fact he might not be ready to handle the major leagues. The great unknown, Moore said, is how a player will react to the highest level of competition, and all that goes along with it. There is no way to know for sure, until the player is in the big leagues, and sometimes, mistakes are made.

"I'm guilty of making those kinds of recommendations myself," said Moore. "I know how it can happen."

Greinke turned 23 in the fall, and he is not expected to be the guy who leads the staff into the future. Gil Meche will have that pressure on his shoulders, after signing a five-year, $55 million deal this offseason. Odalis Perez will be in the rotation, along with Luke Hudson. Jorge de la Rosa has thrown well in winter ball, and may well be the No. 4 starter. Greinke is one of the candidates to fill a spot at the back end of Kansas City's rotation. "He's going to get every opportunity to win a spot in our rotation," Moore said. "If he pitches up to the caliber of pitcher he has been in the past, he should win a spot."

Moore recalled another moment from September, in Greinke's first appearance in the big leagues since rejoining the organization. The Royals were playing the Tigers and Greinke came into the game with a runner at first base and nobody out. He got Ivan Rodriguez to hit into a fielder's choice, then got a couple of pop-ups, looking in command. "It's all there with Zack," Moore said.

The reports of his offseason preparation are excellent, Moore said. "From what people tell me -- people who know him -- this is the first offseason, where he's been excited about spring training."

I dunno, I think Dotel will be better than people expect. He's had the time to recover.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's gonna get 30-35 Saves cuz that's be half thier Wins. He could get 25-27 if they trade him and that with an ERA of over 3.00.

Still, I really like that signing.

If that kid can have a good Spring and force them to move Teahan from 3b to RF then it could do wonders and maybe get them 70 wins.

Let's face it, the Royals have NO POWER.

Reggie Sanders got hurt and isn't the greatest source either anymore.

They've gotta get some bombers, and I mean bombers. You can't trade away Sisco for Ross Gload, that isn't going to help and doesn't give back what you gave for him which was 50k in the Rule 5 Draft from Pitt.

I'd rather have Sisco than Gload.

I dunno, I think Dotel will be better than people expect. He's had the time to recover.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's gonna get 30-35 Saves cuz that's be half thier Wins. He could get 25-27 if they trade him and that with an ERA of over 3.00.

Still, I really like that signing.

If that kid can have a good Spring and force them to move Teahan from 3b to RF then it could do wonders and maybe get them 70 wins.

Let's face it, the Royals have NO POWER.

Reggie Sanders got hurt and isn't the greatest source either anymore.

They've gotta get some bombers, and I mean bombers. You can't trade away Sisco for Ross Gload, that isn't going to help and doesn't give back what you gave for him which was 50k in the Rule 5 Draft from Pitt.

I'd rather have Sisco than Gload.

The royals won 61 games last year, while blowing 31 saves. If Dotel can just convert half of those saves, thats 75 wins :huh:

and teahen will likely be playing LF, that is all but a done deal.

The key will be starting pitching, if they suck then the royals will suck, and if they surprise some people and play well then the royals could still be in the hunt come august :rolleyes:

Naw, if you can score runs you can Win. Look at the 95 Rockies.

You've gotta be able to score and score in a hurry and that means HRs.

If pitching is your definite answer(as it should be) then the Royals are at least 3 years away from .500, I just don't see it in their Farm system(I don't see much hitting either).

Somethings gotta be done.

Meche's signing is quite refreshing and actually pissed the BlueJays off from what I've read.

Sure Meche isn't an Ace, he isn't even a #2 for a playoff team but he can eat innings and be 'durable' for the next 3 years or so where maybe he can get bumped to #2 or #3 SP.

I just dont' see a lot of 'promise' from the Royals system which is why I always avoided Drafted from them. Sure, thier ids would get the opprotunity but they just are missing 'something' down in the Minors from the coaches.

Naw, if you can score runs you can Win. Look at the 95 Rockies.

You've gotta be able to score and score in a hurry and that means HRs.

If pitching is your definite answer(as it should be) then the Royals are at least 3 years away from .500, I just don't see it in their Farm system(I don't see much hitting either).

Somethings gotta be done.

Meche's signing is quite refreshing and actually pissed the BlueJays off from what I've read.

Sure Meche isn't an Ace, he isn't even a #2 for a playoff team but he can eat innings and be 'durable' for the next 3 years or so where maybe he can get bumped to #2 or #3 SP.

I just dont' see a lot of 'promise' from the Royals system which is why I always avoided Drafted from them. Sure, thier ids would get the opprotunity but they just are missing 'something' down in the Minors from the coaches.

Luke Hochevar

Zack Greinke

Tyler Lummsden

Alex Gordon

Ryan Shealy

Mark Teahen

David DeJesus

Billy Butler

Justin Huber

IMO, the Royals have a plethora of young talent :dunno:

also, have you forgot the royals did bring up guys like beltran, damon, dye... :dunno:

Do you remember when the royals had:

George Brett

Bo Jackson

Kevin Seitzer

Jim Eisenreich

Brett Saberhagen

Kevin Appier

Tom Gordon

Mark Gubicza

and used to win more that 60 games in a year?

Didn't they also have one of the largest payrolls back then too?

Didn't they also have one of the largest payrolls back then too?

yes they did. There were years the Royals actually lost money, Ewing Kauffman was not afraid to spend to field a competitive team.

Not necessarily during the Seitzer era, but when they had guys like Biancalana, amos otis, brett, hal mcrae, gubicza, splitorff, dennis leonard, quisenberry, steve balboni, willie wilson, eisenrich, jamie quirk, john wathan, saberhagen.....

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Luke Hochevar

Zack Greinke

Tyler Lummsden

Alex Gordon

Ryan Shealy

Mark Teahen

David DeJesus

Billy Butler

Justin Huber

IMO, the Royals have a plethora of young talent :dunno:

also, have you forgot the royals did bring up guys like beltran, damon, dye... :dunno:

But none of those names stand out to me. Granted I'm not Peter Gammons but Gordon is the most exciting homegrown of that bunch and as mentioned before should star at 3b. Shealy was stuck behind Helton and was a very nice p/u as well.

Teahan is a doubles hitter, Zack is for some reason turning into a headcase. DeJesus has ever really turned heads but because of where he plays he's considered 'good'. Huber's name is familar but thats a reach as well. I do however like the future of Butler but how long till that happens?

3 Years at best to reach .500 unless some lottery winner buys the team and spends Sox/Yanks $$$.

Also I can swear that Dye was aquired from the Braves.

That means Beltran was the last 'stud' and before him Damon. ???

:dunno: