Sign in to follow this  
Turbo

Michael Turner to NYG?

Link

Jerry Reese's first attempted move as the Giants' general manager was a big one he admitted was a long shot.

In an interview with the YES Network that aired last night, Reese said he was still hoping running back Tiki Barber would decide to play at least one more season.

"Who knows?" said the 43-year-old Reese, who was named GM on Tuesday. "Tiki might say at some point, 'You know what? I want to come back,' after he rests and gets his body healed up. You never know until you talk to him."

Or listen to his radio show. On Tuesday night, during his weekly broadcast of "The Barber Shop" on Sirius Satellite Radio, Barber said he's not going to unretire.

"Well, Jerry, I can tell you -- I know you're probably not listening but somebody is listening -- I'm not coming out of retirement," Barber said. "But I appreciate the offer"

Reese has been a member of the Giants' organization for longer than Barber's 10-year career. He began as a Tennessee-based scout in 1994 and moved to New Jersey in 1999. So he knows Barber well enough to realize his decision to retire was final. In other words, Reese must have known he'd get shot down by Barber.

But perhaps more important to him was the message he would send: That he will be an out-of-the-box thinker who's also aggressive and takes a few chances as general manager.

Still, that's not enough to lure back Barber.

"Eli Manning hasn't played consistently great over his first three seasons," Barber said. "Granted, that's a given because he is a young quarterback but there's a lot of uncertainty. There has been some turnover. There has been a little bit of turmoil.

"So there are some good things, some bad things, and Jerry Reese inherits something where I hope he is able to draft things in order."

During the interview with YES, Reese mentioned Chargers running back Michael Turner as a possible replacement for Barber. Turner is a restricted free agent, so the Giants would have to provide San Diego compensation if the Chargers tender him as expected. The Giants could also work out a trade.

Either way, Reese should be willing to make a run at Turner in March. If he's going to be as aggressive as advertised.

The Giants are gonna make another deal with the Chargers?

You think they would have learned their lesson the first time.

The more this guy opens his mouth, the more likely the price or compensation will rise.

SD coaches have stated that Turner is a better inside runner than LT. In that case, I'm not sure NYG makes for the best fit.

The Giants are gonna need a back who can catch the football.

Yeah...but Turner/Jacobs in the same backfield would be akin to having Larry Johnson and Craig Heyward in the same backfield. I'm all for power running, but geesh!!

I guess the point is that if you bring in Turner, you would start looking for a 3rd down scatback to take some touches away from Turner...Jacobs does not fit that mold, obviously.

Is this tampering or is the fact San Diego's season is over make it OK to talk about Turner?

Not sure what exactly Reese said but how does he gain anything telling the media he's interested in a certain player? Showing your cards on personel moves seems pretty foolish.

Makes me think he wants some other team to overpay for him, maybe the Jets. This is like saying you like a certain player before the draft. Pretty much means you don't have an interest in him.

Personally, I'd like to see what Jacobs could do being the full timer. Dude is huge and would flat out wear down defenses. I could see him gaining huge chunks of yards late in the game. Get a shifty, quick, smaller guy like a Jones Drew for a change up.

The Giants are gonna need a back who can catch the football.

Are we sure Turner can't do that. He hasn't really gotten the opportunity with LT there but he hasn't gotten the opportunity to run much either.

Personally, I'd like to see what Jacobs could do being the full timer. Dude is huge and would flat out wear down defenses. I could see him gaining huge chunks of yards late in the game. Get a shifty, quick, smaller guy like a Jones Drew for a change up.

Bruiser backs NEVER last very long in the NFL. He may dish out punishment, but chances are, he'll receive a helluva lot more in return.

Bruiser backs NEVER last very long in the NFL. He may dish out punishment, but chances are, he'll receive a helluva lot more in return.

Ah yes, but he hasn't received that bruising yet. A fresh monster body could have a couple good years. I remember watching a play this year where he picked up a blitzing linebacker and shoved his arse back about 5 yards. Incredible a running back did that. I'm just saying I would like to see what he could do for a year. Duration of several years I agree with you on that one :banana:

Ah yes, but he hasn't received that bruising yet. A fresh monster body could have a couple good years. I remember watching a play this year where he picked up a blitzing linebacker and shoved his arse back about 5 yards. Incredible a running back did that. I'm just saying I would like to see what he could do for a year. Duration of several years I agree with you on that one :D

Ah, but ask Jacobs if he plans on being in the NFL for more than a few years.

Methinks he'd want to see a big payday or two before his body gets broken down for him. :dunno:

Bettis? :blink:

This isn't going to happen. The Giants do believe you need two good backs on your roster, but will most likely draft a RB to go with Jacobs.

Michael Turner will be a hot commodity this offseason.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Jets and the Texans make a play for him. Houston probably won't be able to move up in front of Cleveland to take Adrian Peterson, so they may go for Turner unless Marshawn Lynch really wows them at the Combine.

whats turner going to do away from that great o-line in sd?.....

someones going to overpay...

but since lt2 is going to get hurt next year...i would keep turner if i were sd...

The Giants have no interest in Turner.

What Reese is doing is jack up the price of turner to screw their cross-town rivals.

J-E-T-S!

JETS!

JETS!

JETS!

:(

The Giants have no interest in Turner.

What Reese is doing is jack up the price of turner to screw their cross-town rivals.

J-E-T-S!

JETS!

JETS!

JETS!

:thumbsup:

Actually.... "Giants GM Jerry Reese didn't mention Michael Turner as a possible trade target, as was reported Wednesday.

The Newark Star-Ledger admits it misread some statements Reese made to the YES network. The Star-Ledger has been suffering through an Eli Manning-like dip in it's completion percentage lately."

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Pure speculation on my part...but I could see the G-men giving up a 3rd or 4th rounder for Thomas Jones.

The Giants will not give up any picks for a FA RB.