Sign in to follow this  
Sho Nuff

Why the Packers should not trade for Moss....

And instead save a pick and some money and sign Drew Bennett.

Philly, New England, New Orleans, Kansas City, San Diego, Chicago, NY Jets, Giants, Seahawks, Ravens.

10 of the 12 playoff teams. None with a stud WR.

I guess you can take out San Diego with Gates...maybe.

But you don't need one to win.

Indy was the first team since St. Louis to win it all with having a stud #1 WR kind of guy (and Moss would realistically be the #2 anyway). The ego driven, I want the ball...types are simply not what it takes in the NFL.

Look at the Patriots...you just need a solid core that know the offense, get open, and catch the ball.

Granted, you have to have other parts of the team as well, whether its a dominant running game or defense.

But to me...that is where the money should be spent...on defense, and the line to shore up the running game. Not on an ego driven WR.

Now..if the move goes through, I may not like it...but I will be happy seeing him catching TDs. But I think there are other ways to spend the money that would help the team alot more.

And this is not just for the Packers...but for other teams as well.

Plus, he is not a stud WR anymore..he's getting old and is hurt all the time, plus his attitude sucks donkey balls.

you are preaching to the choir.

Bennett would be fine. Hackett would be fine. Also, another in the draft would work too (Value-not 1st or 2nd round). They just need a bodies for cheap. They already have their #1 right now and Jennings is going to be fine.

Cons by far outweigh the pros when talking about Moss to GB.

Bennett would be fine. Hackett would be fine. Also, another in the draft would work too (Value-not 1st or 2nd round). They just need a bodies for cheap. They already have their #1 right now and Jennings is going to be fine.

I agree with both of you. I can't believe that Packer fans would want a washed up, poor attitude having, team wrecker on the roster. Not good for a young, developing group.

IMO the key factor is not whether you have stud WRs or not. It doesn't hurt having talent at that position. The key factor is not tying up big money in WRs. That's the big issue. You're better off spending money in areas like the trenches than at wideout. You can win without big time WRs but more often than not you can't without a good O line or defense (it's no fluke that Indy finally broke thru when it's D stepped up to the challenge).

As far as Moss to Green Bay goes what type of contract GB is inheriting goes along way towards determining what his value is. Moss may or may not be losing it. That still debatable. Yet, if he's got a realistic contract he could be worth a roll of the dice. If he doesn't than he could be a big accident waiting to happen.

Moss may or may not be losing it. That still debatable.

I don't think it is. His last good year was 2003, I would say that is losing it.

IMO the key factor is not whether you have stud WRs or not. It doesn't hurt having talent at that position. The key factor is not tying up big money in WRs. That's the big issue. You're better off spending money in areas like the trenches than at wideout. You can win without big time WRs but more often than not you can't without a good O line or defense (it's no fluke that Indy finally broke thru when it's D stepped up to the challenge).

As far as Moss to Green Bay goes what type of contract GB is inheriting goes along way towards determining what his value is. Moss may or may not be losing it. That still debatable. Yet, if he's got a realistic contract he could be worth a roll of the dice. If he doesn't than he could be a big accident waiting to happen.

Spoken like a true Belicheck disciple and I couldn't agree more. Putting that kind of money into wr's works for no one but the Colts as far as I can see.

I think Drew Bennett would be a great addition for the Packers. He's had a penchant for dropping passes the past couple of season, but I think alot of that was due to the pressure of being a team's #1 WR. He's much better-suited for the #2 WR role, and I think he'd compliment Driver very well. Plus, he's a dependable player to have in the community and in the locker room (as opposed to Randy Moss).

The possible WR set of Driver, Bennett, & Jennings would be pretty tough to defend.

I think Drew Bennett would be a great addition for the Packers. He's had a penchant for dropping passes the past couple of season, but I think alot of that was due to the pressure of being a team's #1 WR. He's much better-suited for the #2 WR role, and I think he'd compliment Driver very well. Plus, he's a dependable player to have in the community and in the locker room (as opposed to Randy Moss).

The possible WR set of Driver, Bennett, & Jennings would be pretty tough to defend.

Agreed...Ive been saying it for a while this offseason too.

I think he would be a great compliment to Driver the way he was with Mason down here for the Titans.

Plus help the younger Jennings further his development to maybe be a #1 someday when Driver is further on in his career.

Why draft a young WR in the draft who would take years to develop and may or may not ever pan out when you could use that 2nd rounder to get Moss. Sure he hasnt been the best lately, but look at the team he's on. The guy can still play, and Favre is just the QB he needs.

this is silly talk?

drew bennett? didnt they try out marc boerighter last year?

cmon...

teams with stud receivers a bit overrated...you need more than 1 real threat...

seattle HAS that threat..but none could stay healthy...

moss may not have been a star since 03..but you dont think thats motivation for him?..

do you think defenses will leave him alone because aaron brooks and andrew walter couldnt stand up long enough to get him the ball?

you wouldnt take him for the 2 games vs minny alone?

he cant get into trouble here...56 is closed down now :dunno:

gb NEEDS to make this trade....

Why draft a young WR in the draft who would take years to develop and may or may not ever pan out when you could use that 2nd rounder to get Moss. Sure he hasnt been the best lately, but look at the team he's on. The guy can still play, and Favre is just the QB he needs.

All the guy could do is run the fly route and jump over people....he needed QBs with strong arms....Brooks and Walters have strong arm and he was a ghost....he didnt even finish 1st this year on his own team in Rec numbers.....the guy is a bum who cant run routes and cant stay healthy....we dont need a guy to run straight down the field, cuz obviously he cant do that anymore because even Brooks could have thrown it up to him a few times....

Moss never was a great WR, just a Super Athlete....with all players you lose a step to age and injuries...Moss has both as factors...not too mention his lack of desire to play... :dunno: ....dont you think a 2nd is too much for a guy who "might" be able to make a couple of big plays a year? ;) ....and about nothing under the coverage or over the middle..

I disagree. First of all, why not take a wr later in the draft? Green Bay could use wr's. Who cares if he needs to develop. Second, I think getting a Bennett or Hackett would be great for the team. Much cheaper than Moss yet would be a great #2 or #3. I think Driver is just fine as the #1 and Jennings will be a great #2. They could use a TE but the wr corp could use another #2 or #3 and some depth.

I don't think Moss is worth the time, effort, or paycheck anymore. You may have visions of the old Moss but I think that's all that Moss has left. His past.

All the guy could do is run the fly route and jump over people....he needed QBs with strong arms....Brooks and Walters have strong arm and he was a ghost....he didnt even finish 1st this year on his own team in Rec numbers.....the guy is a bum who cant run routes and cant stay healthy....we dont need a guy to run straight down the field, cuz obviously he cant do that anymore because even Brooks could have thrown it up to him a few times....

Moss never was a great WR, just a Super Athlete....with all players you lose a step to age and injuries...Moss has both as factors...not too mention his lack of desire to play... :dunno: ....dont you think a 2nd is too much for a guy who "might" be able to make a couple of big plays a year? ;) ....and about nothing under the coverage or over the middle..

Apparently you didnt watch many oakland games last year. Because if you did, you'd realize that whoever was playing QB rarely could get a pass off to a WR down the field. Their offensive line couldnt block anyone, there's a reason Moss didn't see many passes and it wasnt all due to him. Moss still has more athletic ability than most WRs in the NFL, and I think if paired with an environment that he wants to be in, he could still be a reliable threat.

this is silly talk?

cmon...

teams with stud receivers a bit overrated...you need more than 1 real threat...

seattle HAS that threat..but none could stay healthy...

moss may not have been a star since 03..but you dont think thats motivation for him?..

do you think defenses will leave him alone because aaron brooks and andrew walter couldnt stand up long enough to get him the ball?

he cant get into trouble here...56 is closed down now :pointstosky:

gb NEEDS to make this trade....

But none could stay healthy for Seattle..you are right...but can Moss?

I don't know what motivates Moss...last I heard he was not motivated by football anymore...not a guy I want to spend a pick on really.

Sure, the games vs. Minny might be good...but what about as soon as they go on a losing skid...lose 2 in a row...3...4....what does Moss do then?

Even for a small pick...Green Bay does not need the trade.

And you can poo poo the Bennett pick up...but he is >>>>>>>>>>> Boerighter.

The only way Moss makes sense in GB is if they get him after Oakland cuts him - which they will. GB can't pay him the salary he's making right now and they certainly can't give up draft picks to do it.

Another scenario would be for Oakland to pay the majority of his current contract and then I can see the Packers giving up a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. Ted Thompson is too conservative to give up any more than that.

Moss never was a great WR, just a Super Athlete....with all players you lose a step to age and injuries...Moss has both as factors...not too mention his lack of desire to play... :thumbsdown: ....dont you think a 2nd is too much for a guy who "might" be able to make a couple of big plays a year? :mad: ....and about nothing under the coverage or over the middle..

I couldn't agree more, thanks for saving me the time by typing it out.

But none could stay healthy for Seattle..you are right...but can Moss?

I don't know what motivates Moss...last I heard he was not motivated by football anymore...not a guy I want to spend a pick on really.

Sure, the games vs. Minny might be good...but what about as soon as they go on a losing skid...lose 2 in a row...3...4....what does Moss do then?

Even for a small pick...Green Bay does not need the trade.

And you can poo poo the Bennett pick up...but he is >>>>>>>>>>> Boerighter.

:D I know..i went to about 8 training camp sessions last year and i really pulled for Marc..but all he did was drop balls...

if moss isnt motivated to play for this historic franchise..he can go away...I just think IF the price is right..you have to try it..

it isnt To we are talking about..favre and moss like each other..so what if Moss only runs fly routes..look at how effective the bears are with berrian...

if moss was on seattle..he would probably get hurt :banana:

i guess im being selfish..i think it would be fun to see moss at camp..

this is silly talk?

Yep.

And that's relevant how? Is Drew Bennett Mark Boerighter in a wig? :D

no. I think getting paid was. He's been paid. Now he's done working. He never really worked that hard - now age has caught up with his poor conditioning.

No, I think defenses will cover him and shut him down because he hasn't been a stand out player since 2003, nor has he shown anything to prove he can be again.

What difference will it make? Just another two games that has-been will slack in and quit on his team.

he cant get into trouble here...56 is closed down now :dunno:

lol

He will be hated there.

gb NEEDS to make this trade if they want to throw away 10 million dollars and a 3rd round draft pick to get worse.

Fixed and agreed. :banana:

Apparently you didnt watch many oakland games last year. Because if you did, you'd realize that whoever was playing QB rarely could get a pass off to a WR down the field. Their offensive line couldnt block anyone, there's a reason Moss didn't see many passes and it wasnt all due to him. Moss still has more athletic ability than most WRs in the NFL, and I think if paired with an environment that he wants to be in, he could still be a reliable threat.

Your right...I didnt see many Oakland games.....blame me?

But I did see a few...

Thing is given the same team around him....Curry put up better stats than Moss....and a few games into the year no one tried to overly double team Moss.

Key word you said was COULD still be a reliable threat....we dont need to find out....throwing a few bombs a game and having 4 more highlights a year was not our problem or need for this year. at WR we just needed some vetern guys....just an upgrade over the likes of Ruvall Martin and Carlyle Holliday.

We don't need the mess. Our team is starting to come together and is very very young.

Your right...I didnt see many Oakland games.....blame me?

But I did see a few...

Thing is given the same team around him....Curry put up better stats than Moss....and a few games into the year no one tried to overly double team Moss.

Key word you said was COULD still be a reliable threat....we dont need to find out....throwing a few bombs a game and lacky 4 more highlights a year was no our problem or need. at WR we just needed some vetern guys....just an upgrade over the likes of Ruvall Martin and Carlyle Holliday.

We don't need the mess. Our team is starting to come together and is very very young.

You make valid points, but we will have to agree to disagree on this. If Moss' deal could be restructred, I don't see why not give him a shot to revive his career. It's not like he's going on 40 or anything. He wouldnt even have to be the #1 WR, but I really believe he could fill Walkers void.

You make valid points, but we will have to agree to disagree on this. If Moss' deal could be restructred, I don't see why not give him a shot to revive his career. It's not like he's going on 40 or anything. He wouldnt even have to be the #1 WR, but I really believe he could fill Walkers void.

I agree that he still COULD be great....I agree that a much cheaper contract and maybe like a 3rd would be a fine try....but thats it.

how many years would we give him?.....what if Favre retires after this year or next and Moss is stuck with basically a rookie?...If we were a better team last year and were a couple of pieces away from really contending then I would say yea try it out....I just dont think he was ever that great of a WR....if he was ANYWHERE near the freak he was he would have still put up good numbers with any team...but he isnt...guys like Rod Smith, Rice, and McCardell could and can still be productive in this league when their when they lost 1, 2, even 4 steps, because they could catch, ran good routes, and tried....they didnt rely on 1 route, As much as I hate TO he is still in great shape, wants to play(even if its for himself) and is a better all around WR than Moss....Moss doesnt seem to want to play(even in Minny he said he would play when he wanted to) he doesnt train hard, and he isnt a WR that can fall back on some other area other than speed.

I would rather have a 2nd rounder than a lazy WR who has lost a step and would prolly end up getting hurt and playing 8 games....If its a 3rd rounder or hes cut than im at least listening.

And instead save a pick and some money and sign Drew Bennett.

Favre already turned one white receiver into a good receiver (Schroeder), even he can't handle two white receivers. Give him something to work with for once.