Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Jake Plummer to Tampa Bay

link to follow

The Denver Broncos plan to trade quarterback Jake Plummer to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to published reports.

In exchange, the Broncos would receive a middle-round draft pick.

Plummer, 32 and in his 10th year in the NFL, was replaced as starting quarterback late last season by Jay Cutler, a rookie, after a terrific start followed by a steady decline in performance and wins.

Plummer, who previously played for Arizona, has a total of 136 career starts. He has completed 2,484 of 4,350 passes for 29,253 yards, with 161 touchdown passes and 161 interceptions. He has a passer rating of 74.6.

Tampa Bay had been looking for a veteran quarterback to back up Chris Simms, who underwent an emergency splenectomy after this season, according to ESPN.com. Simms and Plummer will compete for the starting position this season.

According to Tampabay.com, the Buccaneers have made no secret about their interest in Plummer, with coach Jon Gruden saying openly that acquiring Plummer was his priority. Houston also had eyes on him, where he would have been reunited with former Broncos coach Gary Kubiak.

Plummer has three years left on his contract with the Broncos, with base salaries of $5.3 million in '07, $4.8 million in '08 and $5.8 million in '09.

denverpost.com

wow. a middle round draft pick? that's it? damn.

You knew it was coming. Cutler is the starter in denver. They were lucky to get a box of rocks for Jake the fake.

l

wow. a middle round draft pick? that's it? damn.

He is coming in as a veteran back up that may or may not get a shot at competing for the starting job. He has played very inconsistent and just plain bad in some big games. Add to this that Denver is trying to free up space and add to what could be a phenomenal draft day, middle round pick is his worth and appropriate.

I think it's a great trade for Tampa. Jake the Snake's regular season win/loss record over the past 3 years: 30-13.

06: 7-4

05: 13-3

04: 10-6

I think it's a great trade for Tampa. Jake the Snake's regular season win/loss record over the past 3 years: 30-13.

06: 7-4

05: 13-3

04: 10-6

Thats the Broncos winning record, you make it sound as if he won those games. He is very inconsistent, at least with the Broncos. I do agree it's a good move for Tampa.

Huard...signed.

Schaub...signed.

Plummer...traded.

Looks like David Carr is the man for 2007. :banana: :banana:

Huard...signed.

Schaub...signed.

Plummer...traded.

Looks like David Carr is the man for 2007. :banana: :(

garcia is still out there....

:banana:

Oh my god. Just the thought of Plummer's decision making in Tampa.

And Gruden's head explodes...in three...two...

garcia is still out there....

:first:

I think Garcia's going to find that, despite his performance in Philly, no team that thinks it's ready to win anything is going to turn over the #1 QB spot and the $$$ that go with it to a 36 yr old with 6 good games in the last 4 years.

So go the hopes and dreams for a long-awaited Houston Texans season.

:first:

Hey, Bledsoe's out there. If there's anyone that could exceed Carr's sack stats, Drew is the man.

Someone on the main board is reporting that Plummer is going to retire.

POSTED 12:30 p.m. EST; UPDATED 12:34 p.m. EST, March 3, 2007

PLUMMER RETIRES

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer has retired in lieu of being traded to Tampa.

Word of the trade broke earlier this morning, but recent published reports suggested that Plummer might pack it in.

Plummer has played 10 NFL seasons. We have a weird feeling that, after a year or so on the sidelines, he might be lured back. The Cardinals, for example, will need a backup after Kurt Warner retires, and it would be fitting for Plummer to end his career there.

wow. tampa sucks THAT bad? :first:

Given the market for lame axx journeymen QB's, I bet Plummer's signed with some team by the end of summer. - Unless he dies.

...thus screwing Denver out of a draft pick...

wow. tampa sucks THAT bad? :D

Given the market for lame axx journeymen QB's, I bet Plummer's signed with some team by the end of summer. - Unless he dies.

...thus screwing Denver out of a draft pick...

Wouldn't Denver still own his rights? :dunno:

Wouldn't Denver still own his rights? :dunno:

Dunno. Seems like other players have 'retired' only to come back and play for another team. (ostensibly w/o compensation to their prior team) I dunno enuf about it.

gotta wonder what the Hooton Texuns woulda given up.

Guess I got my answer:

The Texans would like to sign Plummer if the Broncos waive him because his salary cap figure of more than $6 million is too much for a backup quarterback. But the Texans aren’t willing to surrender a draft choice. They want to acquire draft choices, not trade them