Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Screw you, food police!

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Fast-food chain McDonald's is testing a bigger high-end Angus burger that costs a little bit more for the extra weight, according to a published report Wednesday.

The Chicago Tribune said the new Third Pounder is currently available only in about 600 restaurant locations in Southern California. At one-third of a pound, the burger is the biggest on the McDonald's (Charts) menu at outlets where it is being tested.

It is also the most expensive sandwich, priced at $3.99, the paper said.

The paper quoted McDonald's franchise owner Scott Frisbie as saying that he approached the company about two years ago with the idea that the McDonald's menu needed a premium burger to remain competitive.

Developed by McDonald's executive chef Dan Coudreaut, the burger comes on a denser bun, which Frisbie said has more of a "roll flavor," the report said.

"The initial reaction has been overwhelmingly positive," said Frisbie, who helped conduct the initial tests of the burger during the past four months at two of his family's 17 franchises in the Anaheim area. "The sales really surprised us," he told the paper.

McDonald's traditionally has been cautious about adding new menu items. In recent years the company has introduced chicken snack wraps and salads to its menu.

Meanwhile, its competitors have also added Angus burgers to their menus. Burger King (Charts) added the $3.99 Angus Steak Burger to its menu in 2004. Carl's Jr. and Hardee's, which are both owned by CKE Restaurants Inc (Charts)., offer as many as eight variations of an Angus burger priced as high as $6.

Truth is, it's long overdue is McD's wants to stay competitive. You can add all the yogurt chicken wraps in the world, but you have to remember your core business, or you fail. People's tastes for burgers have gone WAY past the "grey meat" that we used to choke down. People want good beef on a good bun. McD's never had that - and the competition has been steadily eating into their market share with better quality products b/c of it.

I want to be a McDonalds executive chef when I grow up..... :lol:

fat sells. when BK changed their menu towards bigger nsatier sammiches their sales went up.

most of their customers eat there multiple times a week, cater to them.

Its about GDT. I wish they would buy out the "In and Out" burger franchise, switch to that recipe and then it would be global domination. Stock would go up 30%, we'd have another Ronald in office, id be a happy happy man.

Why is the In and Out burger franchise so selective with its restaurants? I have to go all the fockin way to Cali to get one.......if it wasnt for the people, it would be worth it.

the biggest? what about the double quarter ponder?

I want to be a McDonalds executive chef when I grow up..... :dunno:

hew makes more than you or I do I bet :lol:

Kid I went to school with, who is 2 years younger than me.. just had a major heart attack at the ripe 'ol age of 32 last weekend. He's going to live, but that is messed up. 3 of his ateries were 95% closed. :thumbsup:

Kid I went to school with, who is 2 years younger than me.. just had a major heart attack at the ripe 'ol age of 32 last weekend. He's going to live, but that is messed up. 3 of his ateries were 95% closed. :thumbsup:

I heard somewhere (which means that I have no link, and that what I'm about to say is probably complete crap) that for the first time in years, children being born have a shorter expected lifespan than their parents.

Slap lettuce, tomato and mayo on a qtr pounder call it deluxe and you have a winner

I heard somewhere (which means that I have no link, and that what I'm about to say is probably complete crap) that for the first time in years, children being born have a shorter expected lifespan than their parents.

Between the baby boomers and this little fact it's time to buy SCI stock.