Sign in to follow this  
Canadianfan

Bills close to trading Spikes.

Deal almost done. Saw it on the ticker. Didn't mention a team or for what.

Wonder if it's the Giants, since they were interested in trading for Al Wilson.

Eagles | Team showing interest in Spikes

Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:17:42 -0700

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the Philadelphia Eagles are showing interest in possibly obtaining Buffalo Bills LB Takeo Spikes, according to a league source. Spikes would need to pass a physical and negotiate a new deal. The source believes the Bills could receive a mid-to-late round choice in the 2007 NFL Draft if both conditions are met. The Eagles would likely move Spikes to the outside if they acquire him. The team could also move him inside and make LB Jeremiah Trotter more of a two-down linebacker.

Giants | Team showing interest in Spikes

Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:17:14 -0700

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the New York Giants are showing interest in possibly obtaining Buffalo Bills LB Takeo Spikes, according to a league source. Spikes would need to pass a physical and negotiate a new deal. The source believes the Bills could receive a mid-to-late round choice in the 2007 NFL Draft if both conditions are met.

Spikes was always a 99 LBer till the day he retired in my madden franchises, i dont know why a team would want to trade away a 99 rated LBer :dunno:

Spikes was always a 99 LBer till the day he retired in my madden franchises, i dont know why a team would want to trade away a 99 rated LBer :banana:

He must be one of those Achilles heel smashed 99 LBers.

Or Sam Cowart Jr.

:(

I'm hoping it's the Giants. After the deal for Al Wilson fell through, the Giants have NO linebackers right now. They have Pierce and...

that's it!

Seems like it's a done deal according to NFL.com

The Buffalo Bills traded former Pro Bowl linebacker Takeo Spikes and quarterback Kelly Holcomb to the Philadelphia Eagles for defensive tackle Darwin Walker and a 2008 late-round pick.

makes sense for both teams

Seems like it's a done deal according to NFL.com

The Buffalo Bills traded former Pro Bowl linebacker Takeo Spikes and quarterback Kelly Holcomb to the Philadelphia Eagles for defensive tackle Darwin Walker and a 2008 late-round pick.

This is a really good deal for the Eagles. Spikes is a little older and had some injury problems, but he is worlds better than what they have at LB and he could sub in for Trotter in the middle or play the strong side. This almost certainly means Dhani Jones will get cut, and now the Eagles need McCoy or Gacong to step up. I think they significantly upgraded their weakest defensive unit.

I'm not sure how Holcombe has been over the past few years, but assuming Feeley is the backup he's fine - nice to have a 3rd QB with significant playing experience. The Eagles had a logjam at DT after signing Reagor. I'd have preferred they ditched Rayburn but Walker will do. His first year on the team I thought he'd be a future Pro Bowler but Walker never lived up to that potential. A late-round pick is nothing.

I usually don't jump all over the moves the Eagles make and I'm pretty underwhelmed by their offseason so far and not at all thrilled about Curtis, but this was a very good trade. They eliminated a significant need and can go in a few different directions in the draft now, hopefully targetting safety, cornerback and running back.

Nice job. <_<

This is a really good deal for the Eagles. Spikes is a little older and had some injury problems, but he is worlds better than what they have at LB and he could sub in for Trotter in the middle or play the strong side. This almost certainly means Dhani Jones will get cut, and now the Eagles need McCoy or Gacong to step up. I think they significantly upgraded their weakest defensive unit.

I'm not sure how Holcombe has been over the past few years, but assuming Feeley is the backup he's fine - nice to have a 3rd QB with significant playing experience. The Eagles had a logjam at DT after signing Reagor. I'd have preferred they ditched Rayburn but Walker will do. His first year on the team I thought he'd be a future Pro Bowler but Walker never lived up to that potential. A late-round pick is nothing.

I usually don't jump all over the moves the Eagles make and I'm pretty underwhelmed by their offseason so far and not at all thrilled about Curtis, but this was a very good trade. They eliminated a significant need and can go in a few different directions in the draft now, hopefully targetting safety, cornerback and running back.

Nice job. <_<

:)

Good for both teams I think. Holcomb wasn't a fit in the deep throw offense being installed, and should do better in the Eagles' WCO, even though I doubt he'll make it onto the field ahead of Feeley. Getting rid of his salary was probably the biggest gain. The seventh round pick is a bonus, but now backup QB becomes a position of need.

As for TKO, really sorry to see him go. He was a great player before his injury, and appeared to be coming back around. I don't know exactly what the Bills' front office had in mind when they decided to shop him, but it's clear they didn't feel that he fits into their plans. Could be that the young LBers have impressed the coaching staff or are just a better fit in the defense. Or maybe it was a pure business move to get rid of a big salary. Either way, I'm glad that they got a good player at a position of great need in Darwin Walker at DT in exchange for Spikes. He will immediately fit into the rotation. Also like that Walker's salary is cap friendly and goes through 2008.

Don't forget Omar Gaither. :banana: I'm a fan, looked like he could play to me.

I'm hoping it's the Giants.

Close. :D