Sign in to follow this  
SayChowda

Laurence Maroney reportedly had offseason surgery

RB’s shoulder a burden: ‘Significant damage’ to Maroney’s joint

By John Tomase

Boston Herald Sports Writer

Monday, March 26, 2007 - Updated: 01:38 AM EST

PHOENIX - Patriots running back Laurence Maroney had offseason shoulder surgery that revealed fairly significant damage, according to a league source, though the long-term impact is unclear.

Maroney felt shoulder pain down the stretch and in the playoffs that limited his ability to absorb contact. He underwent exploratory surgery that revealed more damage than anticipated, and corrective surgery was performed.

The exact nature of his injury is unclear, though it was enough to land Maroney in a sling. Team spokesman Stacey James could not confirm last night if Maroney is taking part in the team's offseason conditioning program.

rest of the story - http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/...amp;srvc=sports

This is kind of a good news/bad news situation. Obviously the injury is bad news. That's pretty apparent. The good news is it makes his unproductive finish to the season more understandable since it looks like the injury was far worse than we knew.

I have felt all along the RB was the x-factor in the Pats draft. I could see them using a #1 or not even drafting one. It will be interesting to see if this has any influence on their draft day decisions.

This news absolutely sucks. After hearing this I'm surprised Dillon is gone and only Sammy Morris is on the roster. I'd think a rb could be drafted day 1.

This is kind of a good news/bad news situation. Obviously the injury is bad news. That's pretty apparent. The good news is it makes his unproductive finish to the season more understandable since it looks like the injury was far worse than we knew.

I have felt all along the RB was the x-factor in the Pats draft. I could see them using a #1 or not even drafting one. It will be interesting to see if this has any influence on their draft day decisions.

Why do you write the same exact message on 2 seperate boards? :unsure:

This news absolutely sucks. After hearing this I'm surprised Dillon is gone and only Sammy Morris is on the roster. I'd think a rb could be drafted day 1.

Why do you write the same exact message on 2 seperate boards? :unsure:

Pretty simple. I don't change my thoughts on the topic. It is what it is.

Why do you write the same exact message on 2 seperate boards? :banana:

What is this seperate board you speak of :unsure:

What is this seperate board you speak of :unsure:

I go over to Footballguys as well. FFToday is home but when it shut down I started going over there. It's funny how the two boards have two totally different personalties.

Don't jump off the cliff just yet. He got the surgery and that's all done. But at least it was taken care of in the offseason and not in the middle of it. He will have plenty of time to rehab and repair. We may see more of a RBBC early in the season until the Pat's just see how strong he is. So he may not be a fantasy monster early on, but I think that the Pats would be foolish to draft a running back early.

I go over to Footballguys as well. FFToday is home but when it shut down I started going over there. It's funny how the two boards have two totally different personalties.

:unsure: infidel :banana:

Everyone knows you don't use the same name on different boards.  Well......everyone except Boston and TD Ryan.

:unsure: infidel :banana:

Everyone knows you don't use the same name on different boards.  Well......everyone except Boston and TD Ryan.

It's funny how you see different names but you kind of know it's someone you're familiar with.

It's funny how you see different names but you kind of know it's someone you're familiar with.

Sometimes you've got to do whatever you can to keep fellow league GM's off your trail on these boards. You never know who's reading this. :unsure:

Probably because over there they have a board and here we have a bored.

:dunno: infidel :(

:dunno:

ummmmm.....

TD Ryan

and

TD Ryan2

I changed the focking names. I'm totally incognito!

:detective:

So is he going to be listed as "Probable (Shoulder)" for the rest of his career now?

Didn't Maroney have a rib/cartilidge injury too last season?

If he had both these injuries only working part time, how is he gonna pull off a full time load?

If he had both these injuries only working part time, how is he gonna pull off a full time load?

I'm going to let you in on a little secret: Injuries are random! :banana:

What? A football player, a running back no less, was injured? :banana:

Well write him off at this point.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret: Injuries are random! :banana:

So you are saying there are no injury prone football players?

What? A football player, a running back no less, was injured? :dunno:

Well write him off at this point.

ditto

I rate fantasy RBs every year taking into consideration injuries (as I am sure almost everyone does). Call me crazy but why wouldn't you knock down Maroney for shoulder surgery? I am not writing him off, but I am questioning his durability and you would be blind not too have a question in your mind how he can take a full time load. 1 year carrying half a load resulted in 2 injuries and a surgery, this is not something to ignore come draft time.

Edited, he also had some kind of knee injury in preseason last year. His style of running is pretty physical. I will knock him down a few pegs, not saying you should but I will.

define "part time"?

thanks.

define "part time"?

thanks.

I haven't looked up the numbers but I imagine Dillon and Maroney split the carries last season. I don't think Maroney was the leader in team carries, that means he is "part time".

And I just remembered last preseason...Maroney injured his knee at the end of camp, I think he missed a preseason game too. Make that 3 injuries in his first season.

Sometimes you've got to do whatever you can to keep fellow league GM's off your trail on these boards. You never know who's reading this. :dunno:

Heh, I had that happen this last year. I made a post about one guy in our league of whom we had issues. My co-commish read that and saw my ID, thus sent me IMs at work the next day, telling what he read here and busted me. I still post with this name, however I now have a second name with an illogical ID (to him), for draft/team decisions.

I haven't looked up the numbers but I imagine Dillon and Maroney split the carries last season. I don't think Maroney was the leader in team carries, that means he is "part time".

true, Maroney (175 carries) did split carries with Dillon.

but he was also NE's full time kick returner (28 returns) and had 22 receptions.

that puts him at 225 "touches" in his rookie campaign. And I have no doubt that being a full-time kick or punt returner greatly increases a player's chance for injury.

so yes, you could make the case that Maroney was a part-time RB for New England, but he was certainly a full-time football player.

The arrival of Welker means that Maroney will not be returning kicks next year; and that should make any Maroney owners very happy.

I'm not saying you don't have to be concerned about injury. Maroney was considered "skinny" by a lot of people last year. There have been questions about his durablity from the get-go. But please don't try to suggest that he didn't have a full work load last year because he did.

:dunno: infidel :(

And me. :dunno:

The Pats are going to have to get a RB somewhere.

Can't believe, we've all missed the obvious here...

If you draft Maroney and are concerned with his health, just handcuff him with Sammy Morris and you will be all set to dominate the season at RB. :dunno:

Hey Nuts, how's the shoulder?

Answer dammit, it's right above you guys :D

true, Maroney (175 carries) did split carries with Dillon.

but he was also NE's full time kick returner (28 returns) and had 22 receptions.

that puts him at 225 "touches" in his rookie campaign. And I have no doubt that being a full-time kick or punt returner greatly increases a player's chance for injury.

so yes, you could make the case that Maroney was a part-time RB for New England, but he was certainly a full-time football player.

The arrival of Welker means that Maroney will not be returning kicks next year; and that should make any Maroney owners very happy.

I'm not saying you don't have to be concerned about injury. Maroney was considered "skinny" by a lot of people last year. There have been questions about his durablity from the get-go. But please don't try to suggest that he didn't have a full work load last year because he did.

177 rushes for a season is not a full load. Even if he did average 2 kick returns and and under 2 catches per start.

There really isn't anything to debate. Maroney probably had 50% of all RB touches for his team. 50% is not a full load it is half load, hence the term part time.

As a Maroney owner in both of my keeper leagues, this is horrible news. I was actually going to keep him over FWParker (who I could trade for a higher pick). Now I will wait until late August for a final decision.

A shoulder injury to a RB is bad. A shoulder injury that required surgery is bad. A surgeon who says it was worse than anticipated is the worst news possible.

Seems like about this time last year I was arguing that I needed to see Portis play a full preseason to judge how his shoulder would hold up.

I'd bet the farm that the Pats bring in another RB, unless they move Troy Brown to RB.

So you are saying there are no injury prone football players?

Incorrect. :thumbsdown:

I am saying that guys who are not prone to injury can still get hurt. And I am also saying that sometimes guys who are prone to injury still manage to stay healthy.

Incorrect. :thumbsup:

I am saying that guys who are not prone to injury can still get hurt. And I am also saying that sometimes guys who are prone to injury still manage to stay healthy.

Would you agree that a RB who requires shoulder surgery is more prone to another shoulder injury??

As a fellow Maroney Dynasty owner, I'm hoping for a Frank Gore type of year. Last year I made the mistake of not taking Gore because of his 2 shoulder surgeries. He had a hell of a year. If Maroney has the attitude and the skills, he should be a top 10 back this season.

177 rushes for a season is not a full load. Even if he did average 2 kick returns and and under 2 catches per start.

yeah, you don't have to listen if you don't want to. I am not here to debate you, I am here to inform you.

I'm informing you that he had 225 touches in his rookie year, 28 of which were the most punishing kind (kick returns). 225 touches in a rookie campaign isn't "part time".

Do what you will with the facts I am providing you. It really doesn't matter to me if you choose to be ignorant.

yeah, you don't have to listen if you don't want to. I am not here to debate you, I am here to inform you.

I'm informing you that he had 225 touches in his rookie year, 28 of which were the most punishing kind (kick returns). 225 touches in a rookie campaign isn't "part time".

Do what you will with the facts I am providing you. It really doesn't matter to me if you choose to be ignorant.

Gotta side with murf on this one. Those 28 kick returns are not equivalent to 150+ carries... Not sure how that seems ignorant to you. And how is getting pushed (or stepping) out of bounds on a kick return more punishing than getting jacked by a linebacker??? Special teams can be punishing, but it's a poor assumption to assume Maroney got smashed on all 28 of those returns... I'm here to inform you that I witnessed quite a few of those returns actually, and none stick out in my mind as being particularily nasty.

But back on topic:

Let's just see how the kid heals up and performs before we go crowning him with Tatum Bell's injury-proneness. :pointstosky: Although if more info becomes available, it will require a bit more of a gamble in some people's mind...

Gotta side with murf on this one. Those 28 kick returns are not equivalent to 150+ carries...

Hang on, where do you get this 150+ from? 175 carries (which he had) plus 150 carries (your made-up number) is 325 carries. There are only 7 backs in the league that had 325+ carries. So that doesn't seem like a reasonable line to draw for where a full load is.

But it really doesn't matter whether last year was a full load or not. Just because he got hurt last year doesn't mean he'll get hurt any time he carries a larger load in the future.

Let's just see how the kid heals up and performs before we go crowning him with Tatum Bell's injury-proneness. :pointstosky: Although if more info becomes available, it will require a bit more of a gamble in some people's mind...

Agreed.

IMO all players are injury prone (it's the nature of the game) but it's how they handle them that gets them the "injury prone" label. For example Maroney hurt his shoulder during the season, bad enough to require surgery in the offseason, but he played with the injury. If he sat out a number of games, then I think that would be the beginning of the "injury prone" label. But that he played through it, shows something else.

It's the players that are frequently taking games off due to injuries that IMO are the "injury prone" ones. Maroney doesn't seem to fall into this category.

Obviously there are some injuries like broken legs or torn ACLs where there's really no choice but to sit out, but I don't think players can be prone to broken bones. That just happens. But when a player takes games off for a "high ankle sprain" or "turf toe", that's a red flag for me.

Come on now. You just aren't making any sense trying to equate Maroney's touches to a full load. He wasn't full time, I don't know why you are trying so hard to make him out to be something he clearly wasn't? It was obvious as all heck that NE was a RBBC in 2006 no matter how you spin it. Here is the question I present to you....Are you here to tell all of us in fantasy land that NE was not a RBBC and that Maroney carried a full load?

Are you here to tell me that a RB who finishes SECOND on his own team in rushing attempts AND rushing yards gets full load of touches. :dunno: Come on now who are you trying to kid? You can't be second on the team in rushing attempts and yardage and be considered the full time RB. It was a RBBC, simply put, RBBC.

Sure, Maroney may turn out to be one of the most durable backs in NFL history. He could have had a string of bad luck with nagging injuries. I am just saying I have a little injury note next to his name on fantasy draft day. His workload will come close to doubling next year. I don't know how he will handle the pounding with his bruising running style.

Hang on, where do you get this 150+ from? 175 carries (which he had) plus 150 carries (your made-up number) is 325 carries. There are only 7 backs in the league that had 325+ carries. So that doesn't seem like a reasonable line to draw for where a full load is.

Agreed.

Maroney was getting 16 - 20 touches a game (12 to 16 carries + 2 kick returns + 2 catches) before the injuries prevented him from playing in December.

It was his rookie year. That's pretty "full time" for a rookie.

Again, I am not making the case that Maroney is a workhorse, is durable, or is injury prone.

I am just stating the facts: Maroney had 225 touches and that's with missing most of December.

For a rookie, that's a decent work load.

Even veterans like Westbrook and Dunn only average about 260 "touches" in a season. Just because they're versatile, doesn't mean they're playing part time.

Agreed.

:dunno:

Here is the question I present to you....Are you here to tell all of us in fantasy land that NE was not a RBBC and that Maroney carried a full load?

no, I am here to tell you that he had 225 touches.

just because he was a part-time fantasy football player doesn't mean he was a part-time "real football" player.

and if you want to talk about injuries based on playing time, you have to use the real-football world as your baseline.

full-time vs. part-time... we can argue all day about what the definition is.

I am simply telling you how frequently this player was involved in the real football games. Those numbers were 225 touches that averaged out to be just under 20 touches per game until he was injured in December.

I am just saying I have a little injury note next to his name on fantasy draft day. His workload will come close to doubling next year. I don't know how he will handle the pounding with his bruising running style.

I agree with your "injury note", Nothing wrong with that at all.

There are a lot of questions about Maroney right now.

But his work load won't "double". If he stays healthy, he may get 300 touches, but he certainly won't double his 225 (for 450).

But it really doesn't matter whether last year was a full load or not. Just because he got hurt last year doesn't mean he'll get hurt any time he carries a larger load in the future.

Good point. But I'll wager that he hits 300 as NE's primary back :dunno: No, really, in all seriousness, everyone who is on the Maroney bandwagon is on it with the assumption that he will get workhorse carries and be a top 5-10 back, which should put him at or near that 300+ carry level.

I think peeps are getting caught up in semantics here with "full load", "partial load", etc. This coming season with Maroney as a feature back (I'm not buying into this "NE needs a RB on day one stuff") will tell us more than anything we can ascertain from his split-carries rookie season -- With respect to his absolute durability.

Will this "injury bug" scare some people away. Sure. But just keep tabs on him and make your drafting decisions as you see fit. The kid has obvious talent, and he'll probably be on the damn injury report every week anyway... :( (Hell, I may start pumping up more injury rumors in my league, to scare more people away)

Maroney suffered his injury in week 13 vs. DET. The injury occurred on his fourth carry of the game.

He missed the next two weeks (did not play in weeks 14, 15), and then returned to limited duty in weeks 16 and 17.

Here is Maroney's workload leading up to the injury.

You can decide for yourselves whether he was injured while playing part time or full time (semantics).

This is his workload:

week 1: 17 rush, 3 returns (20 touches)

week 2: 16 rush, 2 returns (18)

week 3: 12 rush, 5 catch, 3 returns (20)

week 4: 15 rush, 1 catch (16)

week 5: 18 rush, 2 return (20)

week 6: bye

week 7: 8 rush, 1 catch, 2 return (11)

week 8: 8 rush, 2 catch, 2 return (12)

week 9: 13 rush, 1 catch, 5 returns (19)

week 10: 12 rush, 3 return (15)

week 11: 19 rush, 4 catch (23)

week 12: 13 rush, 4 catch, 4 return (21)

week 13: 4 carries... injured.