Sign in to follow this  
indybearsfan

society is getting jaded

Does it seem to all of you, as it does to me, that society has moved on from the VT tragedy a lot quicker than they would have say 10 years ago. I think today's news cycle which will feature the day of morning stuff will be pretty much the last headline we will see on it. I don't know if that is good or bad, sadly I think people are just ready to move on to the next distraction even now.. less than one week later. Do any of you have any idea why?

Do any of you have any idea why?

Overload and backlash.

You can only take so much of the constant media coverage. Combine that w/the almost gleeful giddyness of the media that they have something other than politics/Iraq/Imus to cover...plus the way that they've pretty much made themselves a new story to cover (about their coverage of the news) and I think people are just sick of it. People are revolted by the way that various peopl/entities are taking advantage of this tragedy for their own benefit...the media, the pro/anti gun lobbies, politicians...

Overload and backlash.

You can only take so much of the constant media coverage. Combine that w/the almost gleeful giddyness of the media that they have something other than politics/Iraq/Imus to cover...plus the way that they've pretty much made themselves a new story to cover (about their coverage of the news) and I think people are just sick of it. People are revolted by the way that various peopl/entities are taking advantage of this tragedy for their own benefit...the media, the pro/anti gun lobbies, politicians...

I think I agree with all of this, and you know the saddest part of it is, I can almost hear the News execs yelling at their newsrooms about not getting enough out of this tragedy in terms of ratings.

All that's left to the story is a bunch of useless blabber by idiots.

I don't think we're "over" the incident, but I think we've gotten all the useful information from the tube that there is to be had.

I don't know about jaded, but society has certainly become desensitized to tragic news. I know I have. If it doesn't effect me or anyone I know, it's difficult to care given the amount of tragic news Americans hear about on a daily basis.

What are you expecting? Should people stop doing everything for a week?

Just trying to figure out what is appropriate in your eyes.

I think that we are definitely desensitized to these types of events, but life does go on. :banana:

A local reporter from here who went to VT said that CNN had at least 100 people on site. He said that the first day he was there, the students were pretty open about talking about the tragedy but the following day, they had been interviewed to death and just clammed up. He said he could certainly understand why they would get tired.

All that's left to the story is a bunch of useless blabber by idiots.

Pretty good summary.... :banana:

I don't know if it can be pinned on what the mass media is doing as far as covering it because people that don't really watch the news are also more :first: I haven't actually measured that but am assuming it. Columbine happened at a highschool and in a more generally peaceful time. There were serious events and engagements in the 90s too, but this is the first time in a couple decades the news has been this consistently depressing. People are definitely turned off by reporting tactics but I do think there's more of an acceptance that the world around is slowly going to crap than there was 10 years ago.

there's more of an acceptance that the world around is slowly going to crap..

Today's mass media coverage helps. Crime-wise I don't think we're much different than were say 20 years ago. There's always been wars, worldly atrocities, and environment issues. Today's media coverage just amplifies it more than ever.

That's why regular folks like you and me drink so much beer and play fantasy football. :thumbsup: