Sign in to follow this  
yostevo

Denver trying to get Calvin Johnson

Broncos offered picks in the first, second and third rounds, plus their first-round pick in 2008, for the Lions' No. 2 selection, a trade contingent on the Oakland Raiders not taking Johnson with their No. 1 choice.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5728859

I don't really like where they are drafting but the Lions could scoop up DE Jarvis Moss and perhaps a starting MLB and get some cap relief. :D

I don't really understand the infatuation on Denver's end. Javon is a clear #1 on a run happy team. Do they really need to mortgage the farm to get a 2nd receiver even if he is that talented?

glad to see denver *starting* to get serious rather than offering IR linebackers in a trade...but there are better offers out there at the end of the day.

plus, if denver is really serious...they'd be offering that to oakland right now to ensure it (yeah, they'd have to up the ante a tad...but if you're already pot committed to #2, why not go for it all? that's the main reason this rumor makes no sense).

I don't see this trade happening. Denver's a pretty good team right now. The other WR's they have are decent enough #2's. This just seems like another crazy pre-draft rumour. Those draft picks could help solidify Denver as a contender, while getting Calvin won't have that big of an impact on a team with a good #1 WR already.

getting Calvin won't have that big of an impact on a team with a good #1 WR already.

.....but sometimes Shanny gets wood for a player and they do what they have to in order to get him. See Cutler in 2006.

One supposed attempt at a trade could be dismissed as a rumor, a 2nd attempt could qualify as smoke with the potential of fire.

Just sayin

I don't see the Lions doing this either because they supposedly have much better offers sitting there if CJ is available.

This might be all they a lacking in Shanny's mind to make a serious run at the title. They brought in a very solid rb in Henry. Walker is a clear cut #1, but adding Calvin gives Cutler another option. He might believe his offense is set after this. Why not take a chance?

This might be all they a lacking in Shanny's mind to make a serious run at the title. They brought in a very solid rb in Henry. Walker is a clear cut #1, but adding Calvin gives Cutler another option. He might believe his offense is set after this. Why not take a chance?

I think you can find plenty of #2 type of receivers via the draft or through free agency that you wouldn't have to kill this draft and sacrifice a #1 next year for.

I think you can find plenty of #2 type of receivers via the draft or through free agency that you wouldn't have to kill this draft and sacrifice a #1 next year for.

I thought Calvin was once in a ten year type of guy :pointstosky:

I thought Calvin was once in a ten year type of guy :D

He may be. Which is why he should go to a team in need of a #1 WR. Not a run-first team that just invested big money in a RB and already has a #1 WR.

media

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

J

yostevo

glad to see denver *starting* to get serious rather than offering IR linebackers in a trade...but there are better offers out there at the end of the day.

plus, if denver is really serious...they'd be offering that to oakland right now to ensure it (yeah, they'd have to up the ante a tad...but if you're already pot committed to #2, why not go for it all? that's the main reason this rumor makes no sense).

Not a detroit or denver fan, but I think if this was on the table for detroit and they didnt take it with all the needs that they have would be pretty stupid. The only reason that MM would not take it would probably be that he has no confidence in himself drafting. And as far as better deals out there, um 2 first round picks, a 2nd and a 3rd. NO.. dont see that happening, and if MM is thinking he is going to get more, he is being setup by other gm's.

one more thing, the reason that denver is not offering a deal to raiders is multiple.

1. they feel that raiders are not going after a wr

2. price difference between 1st and 2nd spot is about 13 million.

3. They cant offer it to tampa at 4, since they are after calivn as well, and they cant go for 3 because if tampa then goes for 2 and gets it, they will be caught with thier pants around their ankles.

I think denver is overpaying and if i was detroit i would take it and run. Or could it be MM throwing out stuff in the media to make tampa overpay for the 2nd pick? If he is, he is setting his price really high and may price other teams out and end up with the pick that he doesnt want and then have his pants around his own ankles.

media

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

J

yostevo

:huh:

It's not out of the realm of possibility so it's worth talking about. There will be teams lining up for CJ if he's there at two. :banana:

He may be. Which is why he should go to a team in need of a #1 WR. Not a run-first team that just invested big money in a RB and already has a #1 WR.

:huh:

one more thing, the reason that denver is not offering a deal to raiders is multiple.

1. they feel that raiders are not going after a wr

2. price difference between 1st and 2nd spot is about 13 million.

3. They cant offer it to tampa at 4, since they are after calivn as well, and they cant go for 3 because if tampa then goes for 2 and gets it, they will be caught with thier pants around their ankles.

4. Denver and Oakland are division rivals. No need to elaborate.

5. Shanny and Al Davis are personally not going to do a thing to assist the other no matter what teams they are involved in. End of story.

calvin johnson and javon walker on the outside, with thenry and bell along with graham and scheffler...pretty stacked offense

4. Denver and Oakland are division rivals. No need to elaborate.

5. Shanny and Al Davis are personally not going to do a thing to assist the other no matter what teams they are involved in. End of story.

Shanny is probably just giving a strong head fake in the hopes that Oakland will go for CJ and gimp their team even more.

Shanny is probably just giving a strong head fake in the hopes that Oakland will go for CJ and gimp their team even more.

Could be and I agree that it would.

calvin johnson and javon walker on the outside, with thenry and bell along with graham and scheffler...pretty stacked offense

great in an ff sense but not football. i doubt anyone gives up the farm to move up that far in this year's draft. there's great 2nd, 3rd, 4th round talent this year. i wouldn't fault any team for moving down and adding picks this year.

It sounds good, mainly from a fantasy football perspective. But in reality those picks would be better spent on the defence. This isn't an aging team that needs to mortgage their future to win this year.

I would bet if this trade goes through and Raiders pick Russell, Denver would pick Joe Thomas. Broncos, as usual, are spreading info about someone they don't want. They always deflect interest away from who they want. They have no need for a WR. The need defense and a great tackle. They miss the SB years of Tony Jones and Zimmerman.

Denver seems to be confident in their depth. They have made some good draft picks and have been able to trade some of their overhyped RBs to other teams for additional picks. The last couple years, they've said that they want to add high caliber playmakers. They traded for Walker and Culter. They entertained signing a number of FA RBs and ended up with Henry. Nothing wrong with that. Its simuliar to how other teams have been successful in the salary cap era.

What would be funny is if Denver did make the trade, and then drafted Peterson.

The Broncos are all set to groom highly talented WR Brandon Marshall at the #2 spot anyway, so I don't see them wanting or needing CJ. big d is right, they need a DE and an OT.

i don't think detroit would move down that far in the 1st round....... there are way too many teams that want out of the 1st round because there is not enough players worth 1st round money. Detroit has to stay in the top 10!!!!!

by all accounts, this deal is not equitable so Millen will prolly do it.

:blink:

you dont make that kind of trade with a division rival

I actually like the idea of Denver finding a package that Detroit will bite on, and move up to the #2 spot contingent upon CJ being there. Here's why:

1. Denver doesn't have any real weaknesses. Some will say they need a MLB, and every team always needs a DT or DE or two, but there are not glaring weaknesses.

2. Brandon Marshall is a solid prospect who showed some nice play late last season, but his recent arrest has to make you wonder if a suspension isn’t coming soon under the new commish’s Darth Vader, guilty for embarrassing us, discipline program.

3. There are only three MUST have players in the draft: Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson (whose arrogance is rumored to be starting to turn some teams off), and Gaines Adams. They don’t need Peterson (man, wouldn’t that be fun to watch), and Adams is nice, but Johnson is the choice for DEN. Walker and Johnson together with Marshall in the slot would create a WR dream team that rivals Harrison/Wayne, and is better than Boldin/Fitzgerald.

4. Some here mentioned a lack of “1st round” talent available, but I think they have it reversed. There are so many ‘startable’ rookies coming out this year, that a lot of teams would love to drop down and get an extra 2nd or 3rd that is a very solid prospect.

5. Detroit. Poor Detroit. They had one of the best offenses in the league last year, and yet still find themselves drafting in the 2-spot. They have needs pretty much everywhere. Besides WLB and WR1, I think every position could use an upgrade. Why the hell woundn’t a couple smart guys like Marinelli and Martz choose to drop way down the the 21 spot, and start restocking this beleaguered franchise with all these extra picks?

What could a crummy team do with a mid-1st, two 2nds, two 3rds, two 4ths, and two 1sts next year? Take a look at the Dallas Cowboys back in 1989/1990.

Not equating Millen to Jimmy Johnson, but with a very deep draft, even he has a shot at getting it right, as long as he locks himself in the closet, and lets Marinelli and Martz make the player decisions.

5. Detroit. Poor Detroit. They had one of the best offenses in the league last year, and yet still find themselves drafting in the 2-spot. They have needs pretty much everywhere. Besides WLB and WR1, I think every position could use an upgrade. Why the hell woundn’t a couple smart guys like Marinelli and Martz choose to drop way down the the 21 spot, and start restocking this beleaguered franchise with all these extra picks?

Not equating Millen to Jimmy Johnson, but with a very deep draft, even he has a shot at getting it right, as long as he locks himself in the closet, and lets Marinelli and Martz make the player decisions.

As a Packer fan I'd say go ahead and let Martz make the player decisions.....please. For one thing, he'll be gone after this year and Detroit will get a new OC who'll need different players than Martz wanted to run his offense. Martz has to have "his" certain guys to run "his" special offense and when he leaves next year.....(and he will leave next year either for a HC position or to just get out of Detroit)....."his" guys will be all wrong for what the Lions switch to.