Sign in to follow this  
cavern

what's the deal in NY(G)? did they get droughns as a backup?

can jacobs even BE a featured back, as big as he is?

I think the Giants are going to give Jacobs every chance to be the feature back, and have Droughns for insurance. Can he be a feature back is up for debate, and we won't know for sure untill he has a chance to be. My personal opinion is a 60- 40 split with Droughns, and Jacobs scoring between 10 - 14 TD'S.

It depends on whether you have Jacobs on your roster. If so, he's the feature back and he's God. If he's not, then he is splitting time.

ssshhhh...Ahmad Bradshaw :dunno:

Q: How do you think he [bradshaw] will fit in on the field?

Reese: “I think he fits us as a change-of-pace back and maybe a third-down back. He has good hands and catches the ball really easily out of the backfield. He sucks the ball up when he catches it. As a runner he’s instinctive. He’s a darter who gets into the hole quickly. And he’s strong for his size. He’s short, but he’s really not a tiny guy. He does have some size and he’s stronger than you would think. I also think he’s going to surprise us as a punt and kickoff returner. He’s going to battle for one of those jobs.”

http://www.giants.com/news/eisen/story.asp?story_id=25606

It depends on whether you have a given player on your roster. If so, he's a future stud, if not he's worthless.

Fixored to splain 90% of the speculation on this board.

It depends on whether you have Jacobs on your roster. If so, he's the feature back and he's God. If he's not, then he is splitting time.

yeah, i know the tendencies, but there are people on here that can be objective. i'm picking first, as such, jacobs is one of the running backs that might still be around come the 4/5 round turn for me. i'm thinking i'd better try for lynch or caddy or someone other than jacobs? :huh:

Absolutly. He's got everything you want in a feature back. He'll be their primary ball carrier this year and should put up some impressive fantasy numbers.

I'm sure that's the lingering question that made the Giants go after Droughns in the first place. The fact of the matter is that nobody knows yet. History shows that it's pretty rare for a big bruiser back to be able to handle a full load, but Jacobs is pretty darn mobile for his size.

Absolutly. He's got everything you want in a feature back.

Everyone knows I like to bash Jacobs but that is just a very silly statement. I think it deserves this really- :dunno: .

Everyone knows I like to bash Jacobs but that is just a very silly statement. I think it deserves this really- :clap: .

Oh really? Please, explain. Enlighten me. He has size, speed, power, he blocks, he can catch. Silly, right. :blink:

Oh really? Please, explain. Enlighten me. He has size, speed, power, he blocks, he can catch. Silly, right. :blink:

my only concern, fwiw, is at his size, he might not have the stamina to carry the ball 20-25 times a game.

my only concern, fwiw, is at his size, he might not have the stamina to carry the ball 20-25 times a game.

That is fair enough. Until we've seen him carry the load, we won't know that for sure. But I'm very curious to see what that clown offers up to support his statement.

Errm, well, I could be totally wrong here, and will gladly admit it.... but wasn't Jacob's biggest downfall was his inability to catch and be a receiver out of the backfield?

And I can't say I've ever heard him called a "good blocker" blocks yes, but hell you can say marshall faulk blocked too, doesn't mean he was overly successful at it.

I'm in no way a giants fan, nor a Jacobs follower, so I really do not know with him. I think it's highly possible he will be a fantasy machine, if he can handle a full workload, and they actually give him a full work load, but I can't see them shelling out some cash for Droughns and then turning around and drafting another RB (yes I know it's a 7th rounder) if they fully felt they were set with Jacobs.

Guess it really comes down to risk vs reward and what his ADP is. Not really what I would call 1st round material, even sketchy in the 2nd. 3rd maybe? Sadly, someone will probably always jump on him early, at least, earlier than I would probably draft him.

Errm, well, I could be totally wrong here, and will gladly admit it.... but wasn't Jacob's biggest downfall was his inability to catch and be a receiver out of the backfield?

And I can't say I've ever heard him called a "good blocker" blocks yes, but hell you can say marshall faulk blocked too, doesn't mean he was overly successful at it.

I'm in no way a giants fan, nor a Jacobs follower, so I really do not know with him. I think it's highly possible he will be a fantasy machine, if he can handle a full workload, and they actually give him a full work load, but I can't see them shelling out some cash for Droughns and then turning around and drafting another RB (yes I know it's a 7th rounder) if they fully felt they were set with Jacobs.

Guess it really comes down to risk vs reward and what his ADP is. Not really what I would call 1st round material, even sketchy in the 2nd. 3rd maybe? Sadly, someone will probably always jump on him early, at least, earlier than I would probably draft him.

Anyone who says he can't catch or block hasn't watched him. I've seen people say he can't catch, and it's utter nonesense.

You need at least two good RB these days, and Droughns came cheap. The RB they drafted is a change of pace compliment to the guys they have. He was excellent value. They used their second of two 7th rounders on him, so that doesn't even remotly suggest a lack of confidence.

I have never seen a thing on questioning his ability to catch the ball. The only thing I have ever read was his upright style, and that is getting about as old as Ahman Green's degenrative knees. The only thing I've seen him do wrong is aim for people to kill instead of running for daylight, and I kinda like that.

I have never seen a thing on questioning his ability to catch the ball. The only thing I have ever read was his upright style, and that is getting about as old as Ahman Green's degenrative knees. The only thing I've seen him do wrong is aim for people to kill instead of running for daylight, and I kinda like that.

The upright thing was more of a concern coming out of college and his rookie year. He (and the coaching staff) has done a very good job at getting his pads lower prior to contact.

The only thing I have ever read was his upright style

I was going to mention this fact. Any time you have a back with the "upright style" there seems to be an injury risk. How this situation like so many situations is just conjecture at this stage. I do see Droughns getting some carries at a minimum. What %? Who knows?

Oh really? Please, explain. Enlighten me. He has size, speed, power, he blocks, he can catch.

Jacobs did in NY, just what Duckett did for Atlanta, which is spell the featured RB, and vulture double digit TD's. So far he has not looked any better then Duckett did in Atlanta behind Dunn.

Let's see Jacobs as a primary RB before we say how great he is, so far he's just Duckett, and look where Duckett is now :D .

Wasn't everyone worried about LJ last year and his upright running style? Didn't seem to bother him too much.

I think Jacobs is the man, but he'll have to prove it in camp. Like someone said earlier, you need 2 good RB's on your roster. As much as people like to throw Ahmad Bradshaw out there, a verteran like Droughs (ala Rhodes) was needed on the team.

Speaking of Bradshaw, reminds me of the way Cedric Cobbs was getting pimped on these boards last year.

Jacobs did in NY, just what Duckett did for Atlanta, which is spell the featured RB, and vulture double digit TD's. So far he has not looked any better then Duckett did in Atlanta behind Dunn.

Let's see Jacobs as a primary RB before we say how great he is, so far he's just Duckett, and look where Duckett is now :huh: .

I beg to differ. Your analogy might be a bit more on target had Duckett actually failed as a primary ball carrier. But as it stands, noone has ever thought enough of TJ to give him the job as the feature back. Jacobs will get his chance.

I beg to differ. Your point might be a bit more appropriate had Duckett actually failed as a primary ball carrier. But as it stands, no one's ever thought enough of TJ to give him the job as the feature back. Jacobs will get his chance.

Jacobs in only getting his shot, because old man Tiki is gone. If they thought he was the next comming, he would have got a shot at an even competition with Tiki for the primary RB job the last several seasons. Jacobs is the default guy as of now in NY, and nothing more until he proves otherwise. He has yet to prove a thing as the primary RB starter, and Droughns may beat him out right for the starting gig in NY.

I don't doubt the guy's ability one bit. He has frightening measurables for a running back.

I would kind of compare him to a Christian Okoye/Barry Word/Earl Campbell type of runner. All three were fairly big backs who dished out alot of punishment.

None of those guys shied away from collisions, and at the early part of their careers, put up very good numbers.

But it's pretty safe to say that those guys wore down pretty quickly. I think you have to pick your spots, and I don't think he's learned that. I think it will be an injury, crushing tackle, or the wear and tear of an entire season that will make him realize that he needs to pick his spots.

Even if he does, he'll still take some pounding because he's a big target.

Jacobs in only getting his shot, because old man Tiki is gone. If they thought he was the next comming, he would have got a shot at an even competition with Tiki for the primary RB job the last several seasons. Jacobs is the default guy as of now in NY, and nothing more until he proves otherwise. He has yet to prove a thing as the primary RB starter, and Droughns may beat him out right for the starting gig in NY.

The default guy? okay...

You are right, Jacobs has not proven his production as a primary ball carrier. I like him on the basis of projecting what I've seen. If you need to see it first, you are entitled to that.

I am just going to write that reply off as ignorance of the situation. There was not an "open competition" the last "several" (2) years was because Tiki Barber was putting up Hall of Fame numbers and was the better back, and Jacobs was viewed as a project. No one ever claimed he was the next coming, only that he has the potential to be a viable, if not above average, fantasy back. Droughns was not brough in for competition as much as insurance. The one true statement you made was that Jacobs has not yet proven himself as an every down back in the NFL.

Out of the 5 or so games I've watched Jacobs play in, I've never seen him make a cut. That's why I don't think he'll make a good feature back. He's basically a past his prime Jamal Lewis in my eyes. Of course, when preseason comes around, he might be running around like Barry Sanders. Then I will change my mind and say he won't be good because he dances too much in the backfield.

Holy $h!+, did you say you have watched him play?

I do own Jacobs and believe that he will be the main ball carrier, but Droughns and Bradshaw will also have a role in the backfield. Whoever shines the most will get the biggest role. I think it is Jacob's job to lose at this pointl.

I also own Droughns (traded cheaply for him) and Bradshaw (late 3rd round rookie pick). So does this mean that they will all split carries and the Giants will rush for 4000 yards and 35 touchdowns?

When Jacobs was at Southern Illinois he had no problem carrying the load all game. I know it is Div IAA, but he still got a lot of carries. I think he still get spelled some, but he will be good for 1100 yards and 10-12 td's.

Out of the 5 or so games I've watched Jacobs play in, I've never seen him make a cut.

True. As a Cowboys homer, I have seen Jacobs play several times, and since he has been limited to a specialty RB role so far, I have no idea for sure if he is featured RB material, or a only specialty RB? The pre-season will hopefully answer the question somewhat at least.

Anyone who says he can't catch or block hasn't watched him. I've seen people say he can't catch, and it's utter nonesense.

You need at least two good RB these days, and Droughns came cheap. The RB they drafted is a change of pace compliment to the guys they have. He was excellent value. They used their second of two 7th rounders on him, so that doesn't even remotly suggest a lack of confidence.

Do you live in NY? and if so do you get to watch Giants practices? Because Jacobs caught a whopping 11 passes last year. And seeing as how Southern Illinois is not the most publicly displayed team, I doubt (but could very well be wrong) that you watched him much in college. He might be a good receiver, but you do not know that unless the former is true.

Do you live in NY? and if so do you get to watch Giants practices? Because Jacobs caught a whopping 11 passes last year. And seeing as how Southern Illinois is not the most publicly displayed team, I doubt (but could very well be wrong) that you watched him much in college. He might be a good receiver, but you do not know that unless the former is true.

Yes, and I go to training camp every year. They have also thrown to him a lot in the preseason. Even from a small sampling, it is clear to those who are paying attention that he is very capable of catching the ball out of the back field. He has soft hands and is a fluid pass catcher. I'm not sure why this is so hard for people to believe. There is no awkwardness in his pass catching ability whatsoever. He is very comfortable in that role.

Let's be clear on what people should expect. Jacobs is not Larry Johnson, and he is not Frank Gore either. But he should be the primary ball carrier for NY this season and he's a guy who is going to get you double digit TDs. Even last season when all he was was a short yardage and back up RB, he was a guy who belonged on a roster for his TD production alone. A Rudi Johnson type season is very plausible for Jacobs IMO. But with a new OC and two new backs in the mix, owners are obviously going to have to pay attention to the situation as it develops through camp and the preseason.

I'm not that high on Jacobs, but xenophobe has a good point about his TD production. Even if he slits time as the feature back, he's pretty much guaranteed the short yardage duties, you'd think. The only problem with that is that the giants offense is probably taking a step backwards this year sans Tiki, so the team's overall TD production and, thus, Jacobs TDs will be lower than last year.

Jacobs is still obviously going to get the goal line carries, plus now he'll get at least 50% of the carries minimum - sounds like a good situation to me. 15 carries a game minimal with probably a TD a week average assuming the Giants don't implode as many are predicting. Droughns is a great receiver, I think that's why they got him.