Sign in to follow this  
PatMcGroin88

McGahee or Portis

In a keeper league, already keeping Bush and Colston. I have the 4th pick in the first round. Looks like after all the keepers are gone the best RB's left are Rudi, McGahee and Portis. I know the 1st pick is going to be Rudi and the next 2 are QB and WR. So it looks like I can take either McGahee or Portis...Cheatsheet Compiler has the ADP as 2.01 and 2.05...mcgahee 2.01.

What should I do? I'm leaving towards Portis just b/c I think he will have a good year but I guess he's a risk.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I think Portis has more upside, but more risk too.

I agree. Portis is only a year removed from 1500 yards and 12 TD's. Injuries killed him last year or he would have been kept this year.

I read in one of the FF rags tonight that Portis' shoulder injury was tissue damage that made him suseptable to aggrevating it, which is why it nagged him last year. The rag continues that with the off-season surgery, any issues with the tissue should be resolved and he should be back to his 2005 form. I think Portis is going to be a big time pick for someone in the later (2-3) rounds. The only risks I see right now are that he has Ladell Betts and Derrick Blaylock waiting in the wings to vulture TDs. Portis might be good for 10TDs....

wow, I feel a lot better now. I'm leaning towards Portis for sure. Now hopefully there won't be any surprise picks before me but it doesn't look like it

Just my gut feeling, but I don't like Portis at all. I personally wouldn't take him until the mid 3rd round. This is probably because he killed me last year. But also because he is quite a risk. He is already being held out of the first week of practice and the scrimmage. Seems like this injury is just going to linger.

I like McGahee. I think that offense will be able to move the ball. And they have one of the best, if not the best defense in the league to set them up with some good field position pretty often. I think McGahee is good for 1400 total yards and 10 TD's.

Def Portis.

McGahee just doesn't seem to have it. I'm not sure he ever did.

McGahee has never averaged more than 4.0 yards per carry.

Also, I believe Baltimore is on the decline, their team is pretty old.

Where as Washington has some young talent, and they continue to head in the right direction.

Def Portis.

McGahee just doesn't seem to have it. I'm not sure he ever did.

McGahee has never averaged more than 4.0 yards per carry.

Also, I believe Baltimore is on the decline, their team is pretty old.

Where as Washington has some young talent, and they continue to head in the right direction.

If your league is PPR I think Portis has more potential in the passing game. They're both coming off seasons where they got dinged up pretty badly.

Both teams have relatively easy schedules, but Baltimore's is amazingly weak - The first 7 games are against CIN, NYJ, AZ, CLE, SF, STL, BUF, then a bye.

I am a Portis owner in a keeper league, so I've been following him very closely. The latest word out of camp is that the tendonitis in his knee is not going away, and that it will likely be an issue all year. I believe that it could be close to a RBBC due to the fact that they will try to keep Clintons carries down in order to keep him relatively fresh throughout the year.

I'd swap Portis for Willis right now if I had the chance.

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=278450

Granted, I am not a lemming, so my rankings are QUITE different from most, but I have them as follows:

Willis McGahee - #13RB

Clinton Portis - #17 RB

McGahee is the ONLY game in town, hence to me he is the fairly easy choice.

Just my $0.02

Parlay Pete

I would take Willis over Portis this year. Betts is the biggest concern. I think Willis will get more touches per game.

as a bills fan who now hates mcgahee, it pains me to say it - but mcgahee is the choice

we KNOW they're going to give betts more carries to alleviate portis and his problems

mcgahee is going to try much harder now (maybe he'll know that its 4th down and 1 for example) on a team he likes and is the man

if its PPR, the argument could steer toward portis, but if not...mcgahee should get all the TDs for balt. gotta go mcgahee. that bastard.

help! : http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=278609

McGahee will get all of the carries. The O-line is still above average. Their schedule is RB-friendly. The defense will create plenty of short fields. Plus, he isn't as much of an injury risk.

Portis is more talented. The defense appears to be on the rise. But, he'll share with Betts and he is coming off injuries and his knee has acted up in practice already.

If you take Portis, you need to take Betts and maybe even another RB to back them up. With McGahee, you'll have more drafting options after him.