Sign in to follow this  
Mark_it_8_Dude

Remind me again why Lee Evans is a stud

:lol: Can't believe I talked myself into starting this guy. :lol: :lol:

Luckily I had better options. I knew that Denver (Champ) matchup would be rough.

Yeah I knew that too, but I talked myself into playing him anyway. I knew I should have gone with Mark Clayton, Vicent Jackson, heck even Jacoby Jones had a better day. Oh well. Hopefully Evans will do better next week while he is on my bench.

Yeah I knew that too, but I talked myself into playing him anyway. I knew I should have gone with Mark Clayton, Vicent Jackson, heck even Jacoby Jones had a better day. Oh well. Hopefully Evans will do better next week while he is on my bench.

I traded him last night for Reggie Brown and Marshawn Lynch. Lynch is looking good, but Brown couldn't be found today on the field.

He will obviously have better days. He might be a good candidate for buy low this week.

L. Evans 2 for 5 yards. WOW. That's tough. I would think he could do more than that playing anyone. That sh1t happens to the best of them from time to time. At least you know if your an Evans owner, he just played his worst game of the year.

ETA I'm kinda pissed at Drivers numbers today, But Wayne did me good and Fitz can hopefully have a good game latter.

He had his chances. He was wide open on a bomb where JP overthrew him, and also had a jump ball in the endzone with Dre Bly. He's a boom or bust guy, and today was a bust.

well, I couldn't talk myself into starting Cotchery over him, although I guess I need to listen to my gut. I did get holmes in their, so thats good, also looked smart starting Min D (picked off WW) and M. Crosby. Not so smart going with evans and keepin holmes on bench over branch

Lee Evans is one of the most inconsistent starting worthy fantasy WRs there are.

I saw a stat that 21% of this yards and TDs came in one game last year.

it baffles me that anyone would start any WR against Champ. How many times does he have to shut down STUD receivers? CJ get's shut down, Marvin & Wayne get shut down. How the fock you expect Evans to do better than them?

Personally, the only receiver I'd ever start that goes against Champ would be Owens. Champ would still probably get a pick, but Owens would still probably get 80/1 in the matchup.

He had his chances. He was wide open on a bomb where JP overthrew him, and also had a jump ball in the endzone with Dre Bly. He's a boom or bust guy, and today was a bust.

Had him last year, and it was the same thing. 15 yards one week, 150 yards and a TD the next week. It was maddening.

Lee Evans had just two catches for five yards in Week 1.

Evans was targeted twice deep, and would have had a touchdown on one late in the game but J.P. Losman overthrew him. The blame for the poor showing does not rest on Evans.

Well, should that make us (Evans owners) feel better or worse?!

I traded him last night for Reggie Brown and Marshawn Lynch. Lynch is looking good, but Brown couldn't be found today on the field.

I watched most of that Eagles game and they looked to be picking on Al Harris's backup trying to hit Curtis deep for much of the game.

it baffles me that anyone would start any WR against Champ. How many times does he have to shut down STUD receivers? CJ get's shut down, Marvin & Wayne get shut down.

Wow he shuts down both Harrison and Wayne? That's pretty impressive.

I TALKED MYSELF OUT OF STARTING EVANS :doublethumbsup: but unfortunately....the man i chose to replace him was the one and only deion branch :( But my opponent benched wayne and plax, so im still happy. after T.O. had zero catches in the first half....i was very worried about another branchish shutout after sitting through a combined 6 quarters of no action for my WRs....TO only caught 3...but they were money balls...but i digress...im just so happy i was able to put faith in TO for once

anywayz....the meaning behind all this... any reciever versus champ bailey is a baaaaad choice.

I TALKED MYSELF OUT OF STARTING EVANS :doublethumbsup: but unfortunately....the man i chose to replace him was the one and only deion branch :( But my opponent benched wayne and plax, so im still happy. after T.O. had zero catches in the first half....i was very worried about another branchish shutout after sitting through a combined 6 quarters of no action for my WRs....TO only caught 3...but they were money balls...but i digress...im just so happy i was able to put faith in TO for once

anywayz....the meaning behind all this... any reciever versus champ bailey is a baaaaad choice.

the fact that anybody would bench reggie wayne against new orleans is just mind-boggling. you won more cause your opponent has no brain activity.

plax i can almost understand, he was injured etc, although the dallas secondary was quite suspect (i dropped their D after injury reports)

no one said he was smart :doublethumbsup: i personally know everyone in this league....n i can not wait to rip him a new a-hole for sitting wayne...im glad he learned his lesson against me

it baffles me that anyone would start any WR against Champ. How many times does he have to shut down STUD receivers? CJ get's shut down, Marvin & Wayne get shut down. How the fock you expect Evans to do better than them?

Personally, the only receiver I'd ever start that goes against Champ would be Owens. Champ would still probably get a pick, but Owens would still probably get 80/1 in the matchup.

Champ shuts down WRs when they're the only option on the team. I'd have no problem throwing CJ against him any day.

I only drafted this POS in one league even though I have had him in previous years well knowing that he is boom or bust, and by the time he busts out he is usually on the bench.

JP did miss him wide open on a huge bomb that probably would have been for 65+ yards.

STUPID

Wow.... Wrong, wrong, and wrong again. Last year, Wayne had 3 (THREE) Td's against Denver. Champ was covering only Harrison in that game and Harrison was open too, but why throw to him when Wayne didn't have a corner within 3 yards of him on most plays.

As for CJ.... Guess you didn't watch their last game? CJ beat Champ deep twice and finished with well over 100 yards and a TD.

I think Champ Bailey is great, but there has not been a true lock down corner since Deion. I have watched Champ Bailey get abused by WR's that have a playmaker on the other side of them. The same thing happened in Washington. He is the best Corner in the game, but even the best need a safety rolled their way from time to time. Lee Evans does not have a playmaker opposite him. Probably never will in that vanilla offense.

You'll have those people that say "Never bench your studs," If you start him and he gets shut down, they are nowhere to be found.

But if you bench him and he blows up, those same people will come out and say, "See, told you to never bench your studs...."

Play the matchups... Evans is a stud, but not vs. stud Denver DB's. get my drift? :overhead:

Lee Evans is famine or feast, kinda like Santana Moss - at least that's how I remember him from last year. Additionally, Evans is a pretty slow starter. He got REAL hot in the 2nd half of last season, if I remember correctly.

I'm going to try to pawn Tater Bell on my Evans owner.

Lee Evans probably isn't a stud. Stud WRs are generally few. Most of the rest are hit or miss.

"Never bench your studs" is bad advice, especially for someone who liberally applies the "stud" label.

Championships are won by playing matchups, especially in the passing game (and defenses). Any monkey can start the same lineup every week. If you've got options, use them. Depth is your friend.

I was under the impression that Evans would be lining up against Bly not Champ. Any word on that. I know Champ typically sticks to the left side of the field. I convinced myself that Even would be able to get behind Bly for a long TD.

Play the matchups... Evans is a stud, but not vs. stud Denver DB's. get my drift? :music_guitarred:

I think a lot of Evans owners were expecting him to be matched up with Bly a lot, which is why I started him. I didn't see the game. Anyone know if he lined up on Champ's side?

I think a lot of Evans owners were expecting him to be matched up with Bly a lot, which is why I started him. I didn't see the game. Anyone know if he lined up on Champ's side?

He lined up on both sides and went in motion a few times to try and cross up the defense. I don't think J P was really looking for him. I don't know how many targets he had, but it couldn't have been more than five.

I started Lee Evans and Deion Branch in one of my teams this week :thumbsdown:

Ouch. :(

:mad: Can't believe I talked myself into starting this guy. :wacko: :pointstosky:

Yeah that's why I stay away from him unless he's on the WW and it's the last 3-4 games of the season. I never understood why he ranked so high on many lists this year.

Lee Evans probably isn't a stud. Stud WRs are generally few. Most of the rest are hit or miss.

"Never bench your studs" is bad advice, especially for someone who liberally applies the "stud" label.

Championships are won by playing matchups, especially in the passing game (and defenses). Any monkey can start the same lineup every week. If you've got options, use them. Depth is your friend.

Well said. I think the "stud" label is getting watered down too much these days. I think, for receivers, Torry Holt, Terrell Owens, Steve Smith, and Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne are studs. I suppose some would add Chad Johnson (I'd like to myself - I have him) as well. That's pretty much it. There are borderline players knocking on the door, but there are enough question marks around them that I want them to prove themselves again early this season first (Roy Williams, Fitzgerald, etc). Lee Evans is too much a boom/bust for me to put in the stud category. I think he's closer to a Santana Moss than to a Roy Williams.

Having said that, how deep would your bench have to be for you to decide to sit a guy like Lee Evans week one? If you play in two-receiver leagues or small leagues, then your bench might be deep enough. Otherwise, you're talking about using a WR4 over Lee Evans. If you're that unsure about Lee Evans, perhaps you should have drafted someone else to fill that WR1/WR2 slot (I waited a round and took Deion Branch...we all know how that turned out this week).

Thoughts on this week's matchup, Bills @ Steelers?

Losman will be under pressure, but I'm not entirely sold on the Steeler's secondary and think there's a chance for garbage-time stats at least.

Had him last year, and it was the same thing. 15 yards one week, 150 yards and a TD the next week. It was maddening.

You're joking, right?

Evans Game Log from last year:

Game 1 vs. NE: 2 catches, 25 yards, 0 TD

Game 2 vs. MIA: 2 catches, 19 yards, 0 TD

Game 3 vs. NYJ: 8 catches, 107 yards, 0 TD

Game 4 vs. MIN: 7 catches, 92 yards, 0 TD

Game 5 vs. CHI: 9 catches, 94 yards, 1 TD

Game 6 vs. DET: 8 catches, 82 yards, 0 TD

Game 7 vs. NE: 1 catch, 10 yards, 0 TD

Game 8 vs. GB: 2 catches, 58 yards, 1 TD

Game 9 vs. IND: 5 catches, 70 yards, 0 TD

Game 10 vs. HOU: 11 catches, 265 yards, 2 TD

Game 11 vs. JAX: 5 catches, 58 yards, 0 TD

Game 12 vs. SD: 5 catches, 45 yards, 0 TD

Game 13 vs. NYJ: 2 catches, 91 yards, 1 TD

Game 14 vs. MIA: 3 catches, 67 yards, 1 TD

Game 15 vs. TEN: 5 catches, 64 yards, 1 TD

Game 16 vs. BAL: 7 catches, 145 yards, 1 TD

I've bolded the games that might fall into your "15 yards one week" category.

Evans started off miserably last year, too, but was very good after that. If Evans' performance last year was "maddening" for you, then you have only yourself to blame for not starting him every week following Week 2.

Wow, I stand corrected. Had I bothered to research more and saw those numbers for Lee Evans (instead of saying I don't trust the Buffalo defense so let's knock him down a few pegs in his tier...to where Deion Branch sat), I would've likely grabbed him earlier rather than waiting a round and ending up with Deion Branch. Now, if only Branch can do the same thing this year...

Having said that, how deep would your bench have to be for you to decide to sit a guy like Lee Evans week one? If you play in two-receiver leagues or small leagues, then your bench might be deep enough. Otherwise, you're talking about using a WR4 over Lee Evans. If you're that unsure about Lee Evans, perhaps you should have drafted someone else to fill that WR1/WR2 slot (I waited a round and took Deion Branch...we all know how that turned out this week).
I didn't draft Evans. I actually took Plaxico ahead of Evans, b/c I like Burress' consistency (i.e. he scores a lot of TDs). But, I don't think it's a huge strech to start a WR3 over a WR2.

The point wasn't really specific to Evans, it was more a rebuttal to all the "never bench your studs" talk that gets thrown around here. Week one is certainly the toughest week to play matchups, but it doesn't take long to figure out which secondaries are likely to get torched and which games are likely to be shootouts. Other factors play a part too (e.g. the weather). It's not as simple as just playing your eight best guys every week. Match ups are a huge part of fantasy football. Anybody who ignores that isn't getting the most out of their team (and probably not winning a championship either).