Sign in to follow this  
Yippie Skippy

Derrick Ward

I never knew that Ward was that good. He hit the holes and found the seems to run in. A week ago I was trashing him so tonight he really suprised me.

I was on the Ahmad Bradshaw bandwagon because I knew that Jacobs would have defenders tackling him by the knees. Luckily for Jacobs his knee was not planted when his knee was struck by a defender's helmet, and I do not think that he tore ligaments on the play. He should be back in a week or two, but we'll see.

Derrick Ward will be at least the second most productive Giant RB.

Guest ramrock11

Chris Brown will be the #1 ww pick up this week

Curry is still available in some leagues.

My friend drafted Chris Brown in both of my money leagues. He will likely get hurt soon anyway.

Don't be so sure about Ward -- the Cowboys defense was like swiss cheese last night. They had to play out of the box in order to compensate for losing Terence Newman, so the run was basically there for the taking.

Also, I would expect that Droughns will get more play in the next few weeks, so it may very well be RBBC until Jacobs gets back.

Don't be so sure about Ward -- the Cowboys defense was like swiss cheese last night. They had to play out of the box in order to compensate for losing Terence Newman, so the run was basically there for the taking.

Also, I would expect that Droughns will get more play in the next few weeks, so it may very well be RBBC until Jacobs gets back.

If Droughns was going to play... I think he would have last night.

Why would anything change?

And no.. I'm not biased. I have Droughns sitting on my bench in 2 leagues. One of them - he is backing up Jacobs. So I do wish he would play...

I hope you are right. But I expected him to atleast get a few more touches last night, but he didn't.

And no.. I'm not biased. I have Droughns sitting on my bench in 2 leagues. One of them - he is backing up Jacobs. So I do wish he would play...

I hope you are right. But I expected him to atleast get a few more touches last night, but he didn't.

Valid.

Even my 8-year old daughter could tell that Droughns is the best RB on that team, but Coughlin appears to have some kind of "issue" with the guy personally, if he is allowed to play he will produce great numbers.

As far as Droughns not playing much at RB after Jacobs went down, keep in mind that (I think) he was the only FB active. With Jacobs out for a few weeks, they could activate a FB and let Droughns get some more touches. Just a thought.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Ward gets the carries since I may be able to get him off the waiver wire where as Droughns was drafed by someone else in my league.

Anyway, I got focked last nite by that injury. I was only down 20 points with Jacobs and my kicker but now it looks like a week 1 loss for me unless my kicker comes thru with a miracle.

Valid.

Even my 8-year old daughter could tell that Droughns is the best RB on that team, but Coughlin appears to have some kind of "issue" with the guy personally, if he is allowed to play he will produce great numbers.

What game were you watching? Ward looked great last night. Coughlin is smart to let Ward keep the lions share of the carries as he has outplayed Droughns hands down. Outside of one long run in preseason vs the Pats' scrubs Droughns has done nothing.

What game were you watching? Ward looked great last night. Coughlin is smart to let Ward keep the lions share of the carries as he has outplayed Droughns hands down. Outside of one long run in preseason vs the Pats' scrubs Droughns has done nothing.

I think you mean what game(s). Not including his performance last year, I observed Droughns to be the superior RB during the preseason. Further, I did not assert that Ward looked bad, so I am unclear as to where you developed that assertion. On the contrary, Ward looked pretty good, and if given the chance, Droughns would have looked even better.

JMHO :doublethumbsup:

I don't even know if I should make a claim for Ward or not. I do own Jacobs, but also have Adrian Peterson on my bench. I would have to drop Welker or Crayton for Ward... don't know if it's worth it if it truley is a short term injury...

The thing with drougns is that he was the only FB they had so they coulcnt use he much as a RB last night so they went with Ward. They could use Drougns as a RB next week but I suspecrt they might be happy with Ward . hard to tell until we hear about tuesday practice.

It probably has more to do with the size of the Cowboys' line than anything about Droughns. Jacobs has more of a smash-mouth style than Droughns, so he figured to get more snaps than Droughns anyway. With Jacobs out, and with Ward's bigger size, he just stepped into that role.

Trust me, I'd be shocked if Droughns doesn't play a much bigger role against smaller teams like Green Bay and Washington.

Valid.

Was your 8-year old daughter watching the game last night? Did she watch CLE last year?

They have found the niche for Droughns, and that is at the fullback spot, not the halfback spot. Ward looked great last year.

The thing with drougns is that he was the only FB they had so they coulcnt use he much as a RB last night so they went with Ward. They could use Drougns as a RB next week but I suspecrt they might be happy with Ward . hard to tell until we hear about tuesday practice.

NFL teams don't practice on Tuesdays.... :pointstosky:

I don't see why they wouldn't just go with what seemed to work last night (Ward as primary back and Droughns at FB) Week 2 versus Green Bay. Either way, I added Ward in hopes that he'll get the Lion's share, esp. cuz I play in PPR leagues. :thumbsdown:

I don't even know if I should make a claim for Ward or not. I do own Jacobs, but also have Adrian Peterson on my bench. I would have to drop Welker or Crayton for Ward... don't know if it's worth it if it truley is a short term injury...

Wes welker for any RB getting significant carries = good move.

I don't see why they wouldn't just go with what seemed to work last night (Ward as primary back and Droughns at FB) Week 2 versus Green Bay

...because they have a genius named Tom Coughlin. :angry:

For what it's worth (and i'm sure a lot of you saw this), Tiki was interviewed after the game and gave a shining endorsement for Ward. He said he thought that they were good hands with him and that he should get the rock in Jacob's absence. Of course he may have been just saying that to dodge the barrage of comeback questions, but he seemed sincere and I think his experience with the team gives weight to his evaluation. I be picking him up in my league....

Well I added Ward in every league that I could get him in.

I had Droughns sitting on the bench in two leagues - But I didn't cut him in fear that they still might go with him.

It's really hard to say...

But I can't imagine them pushing Derrick Ward aside, especially after a really nice performance against what is known to be a very good run defense.

Everyone is speculating that Ward is the guy.. SO hopefully he is. I just worry with the way coaches think these days, being that they might let Droughns get some work too.

I just thought that it was very, very surprising that they didn't go to a RBBC with Ward/Droughns after the injury. I guess they just like what they have in Ward - I hope that's the case.

So it sucks that I now have Jacobs, Droughns, and Ward on my team in one league - but that's just the play that I had to make. I couldn't take a chance of Droughns somehow still being the guy. I guess we will see.

Giants face GB, @WAS, and PHI next three games and it looks like Eli is out as well.

Regardless if you pick him up...he is a bad play.

NY has been really high on Ward for years. He was a fave of Acorsi when he was the GM and they held onto Ward despite injuries and not having a role for him on O.

His size lets him move into Jacobs' spot easier than Droughns. Also, not only was Droughns the only FB on the active roster Sunday night, I think he might be the only FB on the roster...period. So, keeping Ward at RB and Droughns at FB maintains some continuity for the O, as opposed to ahving to hcange everything up to play to Droughns' strengths while covering up the fact that they don't have a FB.

Regardless of who the NYG RB is, as long as Eli is out they will not be able to move the ball very well and will likely be playing from behind thanks to a horrid D.

i wouldnt drop anyone you need for Ward but if you got the room go for it. I liev here in NY and the word on the local radios and NewsPapers is Ward will start but Drougns will get carries and they want to work Bradshaw in also. There also said to be moving Drougns out of the fullback spot. The reason drougns didnt see any real carries was that he was the full back for this game and thats his position for the game, They couldnt do anything else with him the only one who practiced for the FB position , Ward was the Backup RB and he came in . NExt game is totally different based on practice and all three back will see carries.But Ward is the Starter so hes worth a pickup.

NY Daily News Today

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...for_brando.html

He (Ward) should get plenty of opportunities until Jacobs returns from his sprained right MCL, though Reuben Droughns likely will see an increased workload as well, and quarterback Eli Manning said the Giants might even work in rookie running back Ahmad Bradshaw

NY Post Today

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09112007/sport...back.htm?page=2

The other injury news to key Giants was mixed. As expected, an MRI of running back Brandon Jacobs' right knee revealed a sprained medial collateral ligament, a situation that usually is a 2-3 week recovery. No surgery is required, but Jacobs after his first career NFL start is now on the shelf. Derrick Ward, who gained 89 yards on 13 rushing attempts filling in for Jacobs, will likely move in as the starter, with Reuben Droughns getting more work in the backfield rather than at fullback.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Valid.

:overhead:

Droughns plodded on the carry I saw - went nowhere, did nothing. Ward was running with purpose.

Yoru 8 yr old daughter wouldn't happen to have Downs Syndrome by chance, would she? :thumbsup:

I think Ward's value is at least in part tied to how long Eli is out. Lorenzen and Ward in the backfield means teams will play the run and blitz like crazy, and if the Giants get down big there won't be many rushing yards.

Yoru 8 yr old daughter wouldn't happen to have Downs Syndrome by chance, would she? :thumbsup:

Not to be all thin-skinned, but is this comment really necessary? You've posted some good info on this board and I've enjoyed reading many of your posts, but comments like this don't belong on this board. Take it to the Geek Club free for all if you just have to spout this kind of wit.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Not to be all thin-skinned, but is this comment really necessary? You've posted some good info on this board and I've enjoyed reading many of your posts, but comments like this don't belong on this board. Take it to the Geek Club free for all if you just have to spout this kind of wit.

Thank you Mr Hall Monitor.

Why don't you try this: take a look at my ratio of borderline funny (above) to fantasy relevant comments and you'll find about a 50:1 ratio.

Now take a look at someone like, oh, Gambino and his alter ego Mikecock and you'll find about a 100:1 ratio of calling people "ernies" to fantasy relevant.

Then ask yourself why you'd take the time to call me out instead.

Just a suggestion mind you, but it was just a snarky comment until you made it a big deal. It's the interwebs - you have no virtual badge or horse and I didn't see anyone calling for a hero. Thanks for the feedback - noted. Seems a little thin skinned, but I will take it into consideration.

They obviously can't expect to hand Ward the rock 25+ times a game...the kid simply doesn't have the endurance for it at this stage. You'll see Droughns in the backfield, and he'll get some carries, but only to spell Ward. Same deal with this rookie, Bradshaw. The Giants are only concerned about wearing out Ward (who is nowhere near being used to a full-time starting job).

They obviously can't expect to hand Ward the rock 25+ times a game...the kid simply doesn't have the endurance for it at this stage. You'll see Droughns in the backfield, and he'll get some carries, but only to spell Ward. Same deal with this rookie, Bradshaw. The Giants are only concerned about wearing out Ward (who is nowhere near being used to a full-time starting job).

The "kid" is 27 years old. While he has never carried a full load before, what reason would you have for saying that he can't do it? There are plenty of RBs in the NFL who have never "carried the full load", but manage to step up to the plate when the opportunity presents itself.

The "kid" is 27 years old. While he has never carried a full load before, what reason would you have for saying that he can't do it?

1) I must be showing my age :shocking:

2) If a guy's been in the league for three years and never done anything except special teams work (and even then not really stood out), he's a "kid" when being thrust into the role of a starting running back. He's got no prior experience at the position on a professional level, and although he may have great speed and athletic talent, it remains to be seen what he'll be able to do as a full-time starter. While I call him a "kid", others might simply call him "green". He's got potential, and I witnessed that the other night, but I never confuse a potential with an actual.

Also, I said I don't believe he can do it at this stage (i.e. at this stage of preparedness). Derrick Ward can certainly be as good as some the other RBs in this league, but only given that he's taken the proper steps to get himself ready. Can he shoulder the load for Week 2? Yes, absolutely, I believe he can, but what about the next several weeks after that? If he was to be deemed the sole ball carrier, I believe he would run out of gas before long. It takes an entirely different physical approach to the game to shoulder that kind of load, and I guarantee that Derrick Ward did not make that part of his offseason workout program.

1) I must be showing my age :wave:

2) If a guy's been in the league for three years and never done anything except special teams work (and even then not really stood out), he's a "kid" when being thrust into the role of a starting running back. He's got no prior experience at the position on a professional level, and although he may have great speed and athletic talent, it remains to be seen what he'll be able to do as a full-time starter. While I call him a "kid", others might simply call him "green". He's got potential, and I witnessed that the other night, but I never confuse a potential with an actual.

Also, I said I don't believe he can do it at this stage (i.e. at this stage of preparedness). Derrick Ward can certainly be as good as some the other RBs in this league, but only given that he's taken the proper steps to get himself ready. Can he shoulder the load for Week 2? Yes, absolutely, I believe he can, but what about the next several weeks after that? If he was to be deemed the sole ball carrier, I believe he would run out of gas before long. It takes an entirely different physical approach to the game to shoulder that kind of load, and I guarantee that Derrick Ward did not make that part of his offseason workout program.

Fair enough...although, I'd like to point out that the reason that it was so hard for him to get playing time the past few years was b/c he had a possible HOF RB in front of him in Tiki.

Also, as for him being prepared to shoulder the load...as long as the info we're getting is correct, Jacobs will be out for 3-5 weeks, so I'm not overly concerned whether or not he can do it for the next 15 games. Generally new starters at RB tend to break down after the week to week grind gets to them. If they only need Ward to carry them for 3-5 games I think he can handle that.

The biggest concern IMO is Eli. No Eli to keep the opp D honest and Ward has no chance.

I'm a fan of him as a WW pickup, don't get me wrong; I think he's good for 15-20 carries per game. Sorry if I get all Jim Mora on you with the particulars (15-20 carries vs. 25 or more) but I think it does make a difference where they place the cutoff. Only the most elite backs in the league shoulder the load 25+ times per game and I don't see Ward being able to handle that right off the bat. I view the new Giants backfield taking shape like the one in Houston, with Ward in the Ahman Green role and Droughns playing Ron Dayne. The Texans want to get Green the ball somewhere between 15-20 times per game and let Dayne handle the rest, and I think that's a reasonable expectation for a guy like Ward who's barely thawed out after being stuck in a deep freeze all these years.