Sign in to follow this  
CookieG

Ronald Curry

I could use a nice WR add next week to fill my starters bye weeks.. I can't get to stoked over any Raiders at this point, but Curry has decent matchups every week i'd need him.

Question: How critical a factor is McCown starting to his success? The Denver game is likely gonna be lockdown city for any Silver n' Black WRs..ergo, a) not a good indicator game and B) he'll likely still come cheap next week.

Is McCown gonna miss time with his thumb inj.? Is CPoop gonna be the strter immed.?

Do you think Curry still a yardage and td threat if CPoop gets the nod?

I could use a nice WR add next week to fill my starters bye weeks.. I can't get to stoked over any Raiders at this point, but Curry has decent matchups every week i'd need him.

Question: How critical a factor is McCown starting to his success? The Denver game is likely gonna be lockdown city for any Silver n' Black WRs. Is McCown gonna miss time with his thumb inj.? Is CPoop gonna be the strter immed.?

Is Curry still a td threat if CPoop gets the nod?

Based on the Den matchup and uncertainty at QB, I would wait a week before throwing Curry in there.....

I won't likely start him until Week 3 or 4. Looking at his schedule, his bye is early (Week 5) and he's got an equal mix of easy & tough defenses against.

My main question remains, will he still be effective with Culpepper starting, in what you've seen of CPoop in preseason.. and is Curry likely to score TDs in this offense?

I won't likely start him until Week 3 or 4. Looking at his schedule, his bye is early (Week 5) and he's got an equal mix of easy & tough defenses against.

My main question remains, will he still be effective with Culpepper starting, in what you've seen of CPoop in preseason.. and is Curry likely to score TDs in this offense?

Considering CPep can actually throw the ball over 15 yards, this only helps Curry.

Question: How critical a factor is McCown starting to his success? The Denver game is likely gonna be lockdown city for any Silver n' Black WRs..ergo, a) not a good indicator game and :wub: he'll likely still come cheap next week.

Is McCown gonna miss time with his thumb inj.? Is CPoop gonna be the strter immed.?

Do you think Curry still a yardage and td threat if CPoop gets the nod?

Ahhh....

1.) Raiders are fantasy viable - Jordan for sure, Curry other than this week against Champ Bailey and Culpepper will soon shock you.

2.) You must not have watched the game but stats aside, McCown sucks. He may be a good athlete but he is a below average QB. Culpepper starting over him is a no-brainer and Culpepper playing increases all Raiders values.

3.) Why do you talk of Culpepper like he is some kind of bum? The guy has put up top 5 all time QB passing stats and just 2 years ago he was just as fantasy worthy as Peyton Manning. Forget what you saw last season. Saban had no business throwing him out on the field just 10 months removed from a tripple ligament tear. Miami also had the worst OL in the NFL - especially at the start of last season. Also, forget what you saw in 2005 before the injury. Culpepper had lost OC Scott Linehan, Randy Moss, Onterrio Smith, Matt Birk and the starting RG and RT had injuries.

Sure, he might not have Randy Moss in OAK but the OAK OL is improved and the play calling is improved and Jordan, Curry, Porter, FMW and rookie TE Zach Miller give him some nice weapons. This guy can easily go from the INSULT of being compared to McCown to being a top 10 fantasy QB. :shocking:

If Cullpepper is so valuable, why is he sitting on the bench? The onmly reason he is there is to groom the other fat QB!!!

If Cullpepper is so valuable, why is he sitting on the bench? The onmly reason he is there is to groom the other fat QB!!!

...because the Oak coaches made the decision based on how comfortable they were with CPep's knowledge of the program. He came into their season later. I have to expect that Oaklands offense will improve a lot when Daunte gets out there. He's not a schlub, he's been in a bad situation for the last few years. Just like Randy Moss was, and you saw what a change of scenery did for him.

Of course, this is still Oakland but they have a renewed threat in Jordan now (who is catching passes and playing with fire because he wants to keep the position), Curry did great...Oakland can improve this season.

Curry's value increases with Cpep in the mix.

Why do you talk of Culpepper like he is some kind of bum? The guy has put up top 5 all time QB passing stats and just 2 years ago he was just as fantasy worthy as Peyton Manning.

Kurt Warner was a two time NFL MVP, far and away the best fantasy QB with the Rams so by your logic he should have won a few more MVPs in New York and Arizona but all he has done is wear a baseball cap and carry a clipboard.

Without Randy Moss, Culpepper has been nothing but a bum, both in Minnesota and Miami. Until Culpepper does something without Randy Moss, he is a bum in my book.

BTW, this is the 2nd time I've heard you say that Culpepper was as fantasy worthy as Manning 2 years ago, well in 2005 here are CPep's stats...

1564 passing yards, 6 TDs, 12 INTs

2004 was his big year, his last with Moss

4717 passing yards, 39 TDs, 11 INTs

The same people dissing Pepper right now were dissing Lamont in the off season. I feel Curry can be used as a goodwr3 in the right matchup and the Raiders have SOME fantasy starters on the horizon. Pepper lost a lot more than Moss the year he sucked in Minny and he clearly came back too damn fast in Miami thanks to Nick Saban.

The reason he isn't starting yet is his lack of knowledge of the playbook. I woudn't be surprised if he wins comeback player of the year this season based upon his talent alone. I watched every preseason game of his and honestly looks quite mobile and accurate. Preseason only tells but the raiders played inspired football last week (loss can be pointed to poor turnovers by McCown and 3 missed FG's by Seabass). The line is vastly improved (see last week), Lamont is healthy, Curry and Porter are viable wideouts and he has a young creative mind directing this offense. Jamarcus will NOT play at all this year and McCown is a talented athlete but a mediocre qb at best. And I know Denver is feared thanks to bly and bailey, but don't be surprised if the game is closer with Cpepper starting.

Ricky, i haven't watched any Raider games this year.. Given all he's been through, i wouldn't declare Culpepper a useless bum.. for real ball or FF. Knee injuries take serious time to really recover from and frankly, i'd like to see him get on the field, just for the fun of it.. See how he does.

I just wondered if there seemed to be a chemistry with McCown that may not be there with CPepp.. but i guess we should see soon. Has CPepp been declared the starter for week 2?

Also, i do remember Curry catching a few tds (6) in '04.. then he got hurt in early '05 and then the '06 debacle.. I keep reading that he's more of a possession receiver.. My scoring system is TD heavy.. so i'm hoping he's a consistent TD threat. I'll look at him this week and figure some stuff out.

Thanks guys for your opinions.

Kurt Warner was a two time NFL MVP, far and away the best fantasy QB with the Rams so by your logic he should have won a few more MVPs in New York and Arizona but all he has done is wear a baseball cap and carry a clipboard.

Without Randy Moss, Culpepper has been nothing but a bum, both in Minnesota and Miami. Until Culpepper does something without Randy Moss, he is a bum in my book.

BTW, this is the 2nd time I've heard you say that Culpepper was as fantasy worthy as Manning 2 years ago, well in 2005 here are CPep's stats...

1564 passing yards, 6 TDs, 12 INTs

2004 was his big year, his last with Moss

4717 passing yards, 39 TDs, 11 INTs

I knew it was 2004. It was 2 seasons ago (before '06 and before '05) prior to week 1. Now since we're in the 2007 season, technically, yes - it was 3 seasons ago. Congratulations. :overhead:

Whatever, we'll see...

I knew it was 2004. It was 2 seasons ago (before '06 and before '05) prior to week 1. Now since we're in the 2007 season, technically, yes - it was 3 seasons ago. Congratulations. :overhead:

Whatever, we'll see...

You are so wrong. Since like February, everyone has refered to '06 as "last season". The current season starts up about a week after the Super Bowl. That would make '05 "two seasons ago". Just because you got caught spouting bullsh1t, doesn't mean you should try to rationalize with this terrible argument. Just admit you screwed up. C-Pep hasn't been good for a very long time.

Ricky, i haven't watched any Raider games this year.. Given all he's been through, i wouldn't declare Culpepper a useless bum.. for real ball or FF. Knee injuries take serious time to really recover from and frankly, i'd like to see him get on the field, just for the fun of it.. See how he does.

I just wondered if there seemed to be a chemistry with McCown that may not be there with CPepp.. but i guess we should see soon. Has CPepp been declared the starter for week 2?

Also, i do remember Curry catching a few tds (6) in '04.. then he got hurt in early '05 and then the '06 debacle.. I keep reading that he's more of a possession receiver.. My scoring system is TD heavy.. so i'm hoping he's a consistent TD threat. I'll look at him this week and figure some stuff out.

Thanks guys for your opinions.

It's a fair question and in preseason, in the only game when Culpepper got to play with the starters, he did target Porter a bit more than Curry but it was too small a sample size to really judge.

But I'll just say this - I did watch all their preseason games and I watched their week 1 game and McCown is not a good QB. He is indecisive and inaccurate. Culpepper shouldn't even have to be compared to McCown in the same sentence and it is quite evident when you watch them play side by side in the same game. Culpepper has had an awful run in '05 and '06 but as I mentioned, there were a lot of mitigating circumstances ON TOP OF THE INJURY.

It's funny how Randy Moss has now returned to STUD status and is everyone's fantasy darling again but yet he sucked without Culpepper. He has proven he is still talented b/c he got in the right situation.

I think Culpepper might prove the same - that he just had a horrible run for the past 2 years (just like Moss) but if healthy and if given a little better circumstances, he can show the talent he has.

You don't put up the stats he put up just b/c of Randy Moss. Moss helped for sure but it wasn't only him. Culpepper still has the accurate and strong arm and even in preseason, he showed enough elusivenees to scramble for a 1st down (juking a LB).

We'll see...

i have to start curry, started him last week :overhead:

You are so wrong. Since like February, everyone has refered to '06 as "last season". The current season starts up about a week after the Super Bowl. That would make '05 "two seasons ago". Just because you got caught spouting bullsh1t, doesn't mean you should try to rationalize with this terrible argument. Just admit you screwed up. C-Pep hasn't been good for a very long time.

How about you go and fock yourself you loser.

Culpepper was awesome in 2004. He has been awful since. He is only 30 years old and MIGHT return to pro bowl form in a better situation (just like Randy Moss might). That's it. Are we clear now?

So who was throwing the ball in 2004 when Nate Burleson tallied 1,000 and 9?

In fact, when Culpepper had a career high in passing yards (4,717) that year, Moss had only 767 yards receiving.

So who was throwing the ball in 2004 when Nate Burleson tallied 1,000 and 9?

In fact, when Culpepper had a career high in passing yards (4,717) that year, Moss had only 767 yards receiving.

That doesn't matter to the haters. They'll just counter with "Culpooper sucks".

It's weird the way some of these guys hate on Daunte. You'd think he a$$ banged their moms the way they talk about this guy. Damn, nobody is forcing them to put him on their fantasy teams. We're just posting about the guy's chance of making a comeback and possibly returning to form. The guy has more natural talent than all but a handful of QBs in the NFL and they talk about him like he's a one year wonder.

It's weird the way some of these guys hate on Daunte. You'd think he a$$ banged their moms the way they talk about this guy. Damn, nobody is forcing them to put him on their fantasy teams. We're just posting about the guy's chance of making a comeback and possibly returning to form. The guy has more natural talent than all but a handful of QBs in the NFL and they talk about him like he's a one year wonder.

I agree. He has the talent, accuracy, arm strength, and in preseason he was very careful with the ball yet still very successful. Comeback player could be C-Pepp.

Culpooper sucks

um, what ever happened to the Ron Curry discussion?

more importantly, does he disprove the 'don't start against Champ' theory?

i dont think chemistry with either qb is a factor, nor is which qb plays the game. curry's stats/game are only predicated upon his health. he is a great receiver following in the mold of ward and boldin ie ex college qbs with physical attributes to play receiver at this level. they all are helped by their knowledge of the qb position, and the understanding of defenses (ie soft spots in zones) to help their qbs connect for completions.

curry was unlucky with back-to-back (i think) injuries on his achilles. he seems healthy, and when he is, has had nice games and big time catches for the raiders. look for him to continue his strong play.

Why do you have to be a hater to hate Daunte Culpepper's prospects as a NFL QB. Why don't people remember Jamal Lewis' historic 2003 season anymore? He's only 28.

there's no reasonable way to make out like Culpepper is suddenly a #1 QB again. He stunk in 2005, then he got his knee crushed. He was healthy and sucking bad before the injury. At the time, the only real loss was Moss.

The only reason the media made a big deal about Culpepper not starting is his former 'brand name'. When the magic is gone, the magic is gone. He looked like crap in Miami, and they still declared him the starter. He got pummelled, played give-away with defenses, and generally defamed himself in the 5 odd games he played before getting the hook.

Do I hate Culpepper? I could care less if he was in the league or not, but I don't hate him. He appears to be a worn out QB who is riding his past glory to opportunity after opportunity, not unlike Kurt Warner.

Could he surprise? I don't think so. The hype this washed up old fart is getting would make you think he's top 20 already, and thats his range, late teens to low 20s. He'll wear down fast and it'll unravel.

If your stuck starting him, its time to hit the wire!

Why do you have to be a hater to hate Daunte Culpepper's prospects as a NFL QB. Why don't people remember Jamal Lewis' historic 2003 season anymore? He's only 28.

there's no reasonable way to make out like Culpepper is suddenly a #1 QB again. He stunk in 2005, then he got his knee crushed. He was healthy and sucking bad before the injury. At the time, the only real loss was Moss.

The only reason the media made a big deal about Culpepper not starting is his former 'brand name'. When the magic is gone, the magic is gone. He looked like crap in Miami, and they still declared him the starter. He got pummelled, played give-away with defenses, and generally defamed himself in the 5 odd games he played before getting the hook.

Do I hate Culpepper? I could care less if he was in the league or not, but I don't hate him. He appears to be a worn out QB who is riding his past glory to opportunity after opportunity, not unlike Kurt Warner.

Could he surprise? I don't think so. The hype this washed up old fart is getting would make you think he's top 20 already, and thats his range, late teens to low 20s. He'll wear down fast and it'll unravel.

If your stuck starting him, its time to hit the wire!

You're entitled to your opinion but I'd point out a few problems with your post:

1.) There's a big difference in the shelf life between a bruising RB like Jamal Lewis at age 28 and a QB at age 30.

2.) In 2005 before the injury, Daunte was missing a lot more than just Randy Moss. He was also missing OC Scott Linehan (gone to Miami) and pro bowl C Matt Birk (to injury) and starting RB Onterrio Smith (to the Whizzinator) and even the starting RG and RT had injuries. Mewelde couldn't pass protect and Burleson was a total bust as a #1 WR (he can barely make it as a #3 in SEA). Yes, Daunte was struggling big time BEFORE the injury in 2005 but is is short sighted to think it was only due to missing Moss. Again, it was already pointed out in this thread that in Daunte's amazing 2004 year, Moss acutally had a down year with less than 1,000 yards receiving so he isn't soley responsible for Daunte's past success.

3.) In Miami, first of all, he should've never been allowed to play only 9-10 months removed from the injury. That was insane for an injury that requires 12-18 months MINIMUM of rehab let alone to start playing NFL football on it. Second, the Miami OL was REALLY HORRIBLE for that first part of the season (the 1st 4 games when Daunte played). LJ Shelton was a total bust at LT and he had to be moved to RG to replace Bennie Anderson who was even WORSE at RG. Mike Mularkey was also the OC and he "helped" Daunte by calling a completely pass happy attack asking Daunte to drop back behind that nO-line about 80% of the time. To top it off, if you really watched the games, as badly as Daunte was getting killed and as ridiculous as it was for him to be playing on a bum leg, he still showed his deep ball accuracy but was rewarded with classic Phins receiver (Booker, Chambers and McMichael) drive killing DROPS.

Look, maybe Daunte never returns to his pro bowl form but he's not beyond the age where is wouldn't be possible, it is not accurate to say that in 2005 he only lost Moss and sucked b/c he just didn't have Moss and you shouldn't even consider his 2006 games b/c he should've never been playing at any point in 2006 - especially not in September behind the NFL's worst OL.

This Sunday @ DEN will be a tough place for Daunte to prove himself but we'll see. I hope he gets enough games and enough help from his supporting cast and OL to show us what he can do.

If he gets a fair shot and proves to be stick-a-fork-in-him-DONE, then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong in thinking he can return to form.

Here is what I think...What folks tend to ignore is that Culpepper was playing very poorly even before he tore his knee up. Anybody that believes 2 years disconnected from that injury and now playing for the Oakland Raiders that he is going to have renewed success is fooling themselves. These same people likely believed he was going to be the savior in Miami also. Once the heavy blitzes of a real NFL defensive gameplan come at him reality will come crashing down. McCown is the better QB for Oakland and the better QB for Curry. Although i believe Curry will be a marginal receiver at best on a below average team this year. Dont overblow Curry's week 1 performance...it was against the Lions at home.

2.) In 2005 before the injury, Daunte was missing a lot more than just Randy Moss. He was also missing OC Scott Linehan (gone to Miami) and pro bowl C Matt Birk (to injury) and starting RB Onterrio Smith (to the Whizzinator) and even the starting RG and RT had injuries. Mewelde couldn't pass protect and Burleson was a total bust as a #1 WR (he can barely make it as a #3 in SEA). Yes, Daunte was struggling big time BEFORE the injury in 2005 but is is short sighted to think it was only due to missing Moss. Again, it was already pointed out in this thread that in Daunte's amazing 2004 year, Moss acutally had a down year with less than 1,000 yards receiving so he isn't soley responsible for Daunte's past success.

How come the Vikings were 2-6 in the games that CPep started and 6-2 under Brad freaking Johnson if the Vikings were so bad in 2005? The second coming of Peyton Manning should have been able outplay a 35 year old grizzled veteran QB with the same weapons.

How come the Vikings were 2-6 in the games that CPep started and 6-2 under Brad freaking Johnson if the Vikings were so bad in 2005? The second coming of Peyton Manning should have been able outplay a 35 year old grizzled veteran QB with the same weapons.

Answer - Defense and STs. If you look back at the Brad Johnson games, they even set some kind of record for getting a win with a kick return, punt return and defensive score but no offensive score (something like that). Brad Johnson wasn't exactly lighting it up.

It was similar to when Joey Harrington replaced Daunte in Miami in 2006 and it appeared to some Dolfans like things were better.

In reality, dump off/check down guys like Brad and Joey are just better fits behind pourous OLs. Daunte looks for big plays down field too much and while in some years, that allowed him to become a fantasy superstar, in other years, in the wrong situations, it led to way too many turnovers.

That debate aside, we're talking fantasy here and Brad Johnson was never a viable fantasy option. Daunte was a fantasy stud and the question is whether or not he can get back to that status with OAK.

Here is what I think...What folks tend to ignore is that Culpepper was playing very poorly even before he tore his knee up. Anybody that believes 2 years disconnected from that injury and now playing for the Oakland Raiders that he is going to have renewed success is fooling themselves. These same people likely believed he was going to be the savior in Miami also. Once the heavy blitzes of a real NFL defensive gameplan come at him reality will come crashing down. McCown is the better QB for Oakland and the better QB for Curry. Although i believe Curry will be a marginal receiver at best on a below average team this year. Dont overblow Curry's week 1 performance...it was against the Lions at home.

:dunno:

You must not have watched the game. McCown is horrible. He may be a good athlete but he is indecisive and inaccurate. Seriously, did you watch the game?

I remember right around that time the Vikings picked up some Offensive lineman and made things much better and someone was saying "I told you, I was saying he was worth even more."