Sign in to follow this  
Ricky's Swami

ESPN "Town Meeting" on Vick

Nothing left to discuss about the dog torturer.

And by the way, why no follow up story on the victims? Oh that's right, b/c they've probably all been euthanized by now.

Fock Vick and his apologists!!!

:wall:

And by the way, why no follow up story on the victims? Oh that's right, b/c they've probably all been euthanized by now.

:thumbsdown:

there is actually gonna be a town meeting on this topic....??? OMGosh...... if espn does this i will lose respect "yet still watch em" for there empire.

We are awfully judgemental. Please tell me that you are a vegetarian. Then, I will better understand your outrage.

lmfao where to start? eh, ur not worth my time/

The problem is not the killing of dog, I lived in Korea for a few years and I have to say, dog is delicious. The problem is how he killed and the reason he killed.

We must remember that Vick is from rural Virginia where dog fighting is the norm. He grew up in a time where everyone he knew was involved in dog fighting and it was accepted as a "normal" thing to do on Saturday nights. He is simply a product of his environment.

That being said, he went to college and went on to be worth Hundreds of Millions of dollars, he obviously knew better and had his own team of lawyers who could/should have told him the consequences of his actions. He acted as an adult and chose to surround himself with "thugs" instead of the "right kind" of people.

We must also remember that Vick grew up in an era of "gangster rap" which glorifies doing the wrong thing and rebelling against the laws of society.

Of course none of this makes it right, but maybe some of you will realize that he is not a heartless, dog killing machine, but simply a man who made some bad choices.

The problem is not the killing of dog, I lived in Korea for a few years and I have to say, dog is delicious. The problem is how he killed and the reason he killed.

We must remember that Vick is from rural Virginia where dog fighting is the norm. He grew up in a time where everyone he knew was involved in dog fighting and it was accepted as a "normal" thing to do on Saturday nights. He is simply a product of his environment.

That being said, he went to college and went on to be worth Hundreds of Millions of dollars, he obviously knew better and had his own team of lawyers who could/should have told him the consequences of his actions. He acted as an adult and chose to surround himself with "thugs" instead of the "right kind" of people.

We must also remember that Vick grew up in an era of "gangster rap" which glorifies doing the wrong thing and rebelling against the laws of society.

Of course none of this makes it right, but maybe some of you will realize that he is not a heartless, dog killing machine, but simply a man who made some bad choices.

I agree with alot of what you say.... However for ex.... Warrick Dunn grew up in a pretty crummy situation also.

I

No one is defending that what Vick did wasn't wrong. It's the fact that he is being treated as if he killed a person (i.e. talking about over 10 years in prison and the crazy media attention) that is the problem. He is getting almost as much attention as OJ did, which is ridiculous.

HTH

That booing was pathetic. It is obviously racism that they support Michael Vick. They believe that because he is black he can live above the rules of society. He is no better then anyone else because he is black. If you think he is better then, whites, asians, & latinos and he doesn't deserve to live above the agreed upon rules that a multi ethnic, multi cultural society has agreed upon, just because he is black, then you are racist. The rules are real simple, you can't breed dogs for the purpose of having them fight to the death. You can't torture or hurt animals. If you are black you can't do it. If you are white you can't do it. If you are anyone you can't do it. It's a vile evil thing to do. It's not murder? Yes it is. It's murdering animals. And I'm not a PETA hippie, but it's murder.

Defending him is disgusting.

I hate to say be the one to ask because I know I'll get blowback but here it goes.. Where were all these upstanding concerned African Americans when the Duke Lacrosse players were wrongly accused? Where were the appeals to justice? Hmmm young white men get falsely accused and they get the lynch mob from the African American community or at best driven by that community. A thug- yes I said it -- THUG - black man gets convicted of murdering dogs and that same community is up in arms over the injustice. That's so racist and so wrong. It's just sick that society is allowing this divide to grow because nobody wants to take that group on and say enough is enough. Bill Cosby has the power to do so and he does.

I know it's not everyone I know it's just a mob mentality that makes it seems like it's everyone. But where are the African American leaders like Bill Cosby who can look past color and just stand up for what's right?

I hate it when people make excuses for other people's mistakes, like they're a product of their environment. Or how "we must remember Vick grew up in the era of gangster rap", well hell, we all grew up in that era. My dad grew up during the holocaust, but he doesn't have a huge oven in his backyard. I guess Vick played violent video games, or maybe he saw some violent movies when he was young. It takes a special person with that something special thing inside of them to be able to hang, electrocute or drown dogs with your bare hands. I doubt GTA or NWA is the cause of it either. Let him go to jail and be a good teammate.

Where's the Leonard Little "Town Meeting", 24 hour CNN coverage, and media/public outrage? A person died! He is playing in the NFL.

Where's the Qyntel Woods "Town Meeting", 24 hour CNN coverage, and media/public outrage? He was charged with dogfighting. All we saw was a blurb on ESPN.com.

To condone this type of behavior is ridiculous... and to try and bring race into is totally absurd. Listen people there are laws in our society, choose to live by them or pay the price. Black or White it is the same law. Get a focking clue.

Well Said

Yeah it's the ganster rap that did it... Let's all blame Snoop Dogg, wait wouldn't that be racist though? :unsure: Maybe next Saturday on a lazy night in VA we should put Snoop up against Dog the Bounty Hunter, my money's on Dog. Focking ridiculous. Is no one responsible for their actions anymore? I listen to rap music, maybe the only 41 year old white male in Utah that does so, but I teach my kids the difference between right and wrong. I don't beat my wife. I have never shot anyone. I don't kick my dog, and I ceratainly don't make up bullsh*t excuses for my behavior. Gawd! This is getting my blood pressure up. I am outta here.

- Dude

It's just amazing how huge a part race ends up playing in this case. Like all those people feel Vick's being treated unfairly because he's black. It's similar to the OJ case where a case that has nothing to do with race ends up having everything to do with race in many ways. The one person asked the question about Belichek and saying how he was given a light sentence, implying it was because he was white and then everyone applauds. Are you f@#%ing kidding me? They have absolutely NOTHING to do with one another. Vick killed and tortured dogs you dumba$$es.

It's just amazing how huge a part race ends up playing in this case. Like all those people feel Vick's being treated unfairly because he's black. It's similar to the OJ case where a case that has nothing to do with race ends up having everything to do with race in many ways. The one person asked the question about Belichek and saying how he was given a light sentence, implying it was because he was white and then everyone applauds. Are you f@#%ing kidding me? They have absolutely NOTHING to do with one another. Vick killed and tortured dogs you dumba$$es.

This was the part where I realized I was wasting an hour of my life and turned it off. I wonder if this were Joey Harrington instead of Vick. I wonder if these same folks from the Atlanta community would be in full support of him. Just a thought.

As a black man, let me say that I was embarrassed by the reactions of the crowd.

The Vick story is worthy of discussion on many levels. However, when people enter into it with such limited views and see things SOLEY through their own agenda driven perspective its a pointless discussion.

This was the part where I realized I was wasting an hour of my life and turned it off. I wonder if this were Joey Harrington instead of Vick. I wonder if these same folks from the Atlanta community would be in full support of him. Just a thought.

Well, that's the point i was making. They wouldn't give a rats ass if it were Joey Harrington, because this has become a race issue. I honestly believe that a lot of the people who support Vick think that a lot of the information that has been in the media has not been true.

if there is nothing left to discuss, then why start the thread.... unless there IS something left to discuss! Ha! :blink:

As a black man, let me say that I was embarrassed by the reactions of the crowd.

The Vick story is worthy of discussion on many levels. However, when people enter into it with such limited views and see things SOLEY through their own agenda driven perspective its a pointless discussion.

Agreed.

I just caught the end of this and I have lost respect for allot of people.

1. ESPN for putting this crap on!

2. The people that got paid to participate.

3. The people backing him in the crowd.

This guy is a convicted felon and a proven liar, enough said.

I am embarrased by my own city of Atlanta and its people.

The greatest orator and human being of our time or anyone's time, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., said it best when he spoke these words so eloquently: ""I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

How ironic is it that Dr. King's poignant words are but an afterthought for these people when it comes to their misguided support of Michael Vick.

He said he was guilty! :cheers:

No no he was forced to say that by da man. I'm glad I only caught the tail end of that crap. I think at this point ESPN has jumped the shark that was jumping another shark jumping another shark. Hell I lost count how many times ESPN has made a fool of themselves.

I agree. I grew up in a neighborhood where people sometimes killed their spouses with rusty hatchets. I don't see why I should be in jail for doing the same thing. I just made a bad choice (I left fingerprints on the handle instead of wiping it clean). :cheers: (I hope to heck you intended your post to be sardonic, Ron.)

C'mon, let's be serious. He knew the difference between right and wrong, and he chose to ignore that differential. Also, he lied through his teeth initially about what he'd enabled and done.

Man I am white and I did not want to write it but I was embarrassed for you. Why drag a Rev. into the discussion. Obviously uninformed and slanted. You know there are plenty of educated, well versed black men who could have been in that crowd and added something to that discussion. I think that last night if it does anything sets back race relations. I got so many phone calls from friends asking what is wrong with these people watching that show last night.

I thought that white I dont know if he was prosecuter or worked for court system guy who kept basically shooting down all of the inaccurate statements people were making was going to get a beat down. Just a poor showing all around. I blame the audience and I blame ESPN.

I am embarrased by my own city of Atlanta and its people.

The greatest orator and human being of our time or anyone's time, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., said it best when he spoke these words so eloquently: ""I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

How ironic is it that Dr. King's poignant words are but an afterthought for these people when it comes to their misguided support of Michael Vick.

Damn good post

I think what Bill Belichick did was worse. Let's have a town meeting about that. :doublethumbsup:

I think what Bill Belichick did was worse. Let's have a town meeting about that. :doublethumbsup:

How about a town meeting about how ESPN has forgotton its roots and has turned into a network that is a shell of its former self.

What Vick and his cronies did was horrific. To me, unpardonable. But now state charges after federal? I question this. I am not saying it is absolutely wrong, but I have a right to question it. If a man commits what is considered capital murder, as I understand it, it is usually the feds who bring him to justice. It isn't then the right of the state to bring additional state murder charges against him. I know we aren't talking apples and apples here in this example compared to Vick's case, but it does make my point.

Sure, I think he should never be allowed to play football in the NFL ever again. I think he owes a great debt to society and to the community in Virginia where these crimes were committed.

A wife shot her minister husband in the back with a shotgun while he was asleep with the children in the house and she was only behind bars for months and may get those children back.

We need justice to not only be blind, but also fair.

Atlanta should be embarrassed by that crowd. Every single question dripped with ignorance and just made the crowd and ESPN look incredibly foolish. The people with the "Free Vick" shirts should be ashamed.

The real issue here is that dog fighting is more accepted by some people. They believe that Vick getting charged so severely for something many people do not deem that bad. The idiot who told the panel, "dog fighting was a misdemenor until Vick got caught for it, then they changed it to a felony because he is black" made me want to throw stuff at the television.

But back in reality, dog fighting is a federal offense. It's a felony people. Vick ADMITTED to doing it, and accepted the consequences.

In this issue, everyone wants to ###### and moan about the race card being an issue. It simply isnt. Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Brett Favre and all the qhite QBs would be scrutinized just as harshly if they got caught for dog fighting.

It's like the McNabb thing too....if you are a quarterback, and you can play well and you behave yourself black or white....you won't be crticized any harder by the media.

The latest on Vick:

Michael Vick-QB-Falcons Sep. 26 - 1:14 pm et

Michael Vick tested positive for marijuana in a urine sample submitted to the courts on September 13.

Vick will now face stricter conditions regarding his release before a pretrial hearing. This can't help his chances of returning to the NFL sooner than later. Vick is currently being held on home confinement. A judge ordered Vick to participate in a substance therapy program and mental counseling.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Sure there wasn't anything in that fake water bottle...

What Vick and his cronies did was horrific. To me, unpardonable. But now state charges after federal? I question this. I am not saying it is absolutely wrong, but I have a right to question it. If a man commits what is considered capital murder, as I understand it, it is usually the feds who bring him to justice. It isn't then the right of the state to bring additional state murder charges against him. I know we aren't talking apples and apples here in this example compared to Vick's case, but it does make my point.

Sure, I think he should never be allowed to play football in the NFL ever again. I think he owes a great debt to society and to the community in Virginia where these crimes were committed.

A wife shot her minister husband in the back with a shotgun while he was asleep with the children in the house and she was only behind bars for months and may get those children back.

We need justice to not only be blind, but also fair.

This is the same problem with the crowd last night. Your statement about the wife who shot her husband and got off. So WHAT!

OJ took two peoples heads off. Should we never convict anyone of murder???

Im sorry, I thought Michael Vick grew up in the USA, where stuff like this is AGAINST THE LAW!!! Also, its Gangsta Rap which has nothing to do with killing dogs. I have many friends that live in Virginia and they do not participate in killing dogs. Also, if you are going to talk about stuff that is the "Norm in Virginia" then please excuse the next kid who shoots up a school or having sexual relations with a relative, cause that stuff is all over in Virginia!!!!

This is the same problem with the crowd last night. Your statement about the wife who shot her husband and got off. So WHAT!

OJ took two peoples heads off. Should we never convict anyone of murder???

All I am asking for is fairness in the law, and too much of the time it is not there (and I am not talking race at all). Do you think that the prosecutor in Virginia is anything more than a publicity/fame hungry person wanting to get his name in the spotlight? To further their career?