Dr. Octopus

Old Man Vinny to Start

http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/335357.html

Fox: Testaverde

will start vs. Colts

Carr needs more time to recover

STAN OLSON

solson@charlotteobserver.com

Carolina Panthers coach John Fox ended almost two weeks of speculation today by naming Vinny Testaverde over David Carr as his starting quarterback for Sunday's home game against the Indianapolis Colts.

The coaches had to decide between the 43-year-old Testaverde, who led Carolina past Arizona Oct. 14 four days after joining the team, and Carr, who is still feeling some of the effects of a badly bruised back suffered against New Orleans Oct. 7.

"This is not an indictment on David Carr by any stretch," Fox said after this morning's rain-soaked practice. "I don't believe he's 100 percent. He's healthy enough to play, but I don't think he's 100 percent.

"It's not a season-long decision; it'll be game-to-game. We're just going with Vinny this game."

Fox did say that Carr was not in danger of further injuring the back if he needed to play on Sunday.

Asked if the decision to go with Testaverde changed what Carolina would be able to do on offense, Fox said, "The way we prepared, not at all."

Both players had gotten considerable work with the first team this week.

"Contrary to popular belief, this wasn't all about keeping our opponent in the dark as much as it was about us sorting it out," Fox said. "I think we have two starting quarterbacks, although not our original starter...you'll have to be patient."

Carr was signed prior to the season to back up starter Jake Delhomme, but Delhomme was lost for the season to an elbow injury. Then Carr's back problem prompted the team to sign Testaverde.

*The only players to miss practice today were linebackers Dan Morgan (Achilles' tendon) and Adam Seward (calf).

How does that have anything to do with this news?

I think my response was really in response to the prior response above about Steve Smith.

I suppose if I was a CAR fan I'd be pretty happy about the news. As a Saints fan it's all positive because I look forward to what Indy will do to Carolina.

How was Vinny up until the 4th Quarter against ARI? What I know or remember of it was that ARI was hanging on pretty close something like 10-9, and Rattay was doing nothing and turning the ball over. There was a big run by D. Williams and CAR finally took over.

I know Vinny played a lot better than Carr and Carr's just awful and Vinny got the ball to Smith. Great. I'm just saying Indy will probably not be allowing SS to do what he did against ARI as I'm guessing they'll be all over Vinny. Maybe I'm wrong, admittedly, but that's my bet, not a great game for SS.

That's great news.

I really need Steve Smith to get back to being consistent.. I need to be able to count on some points from my WR1, especially since Roy Williams (WR2) has been MIA lately..

I think my response was really in response to the prior response above about Steve Smith.

I suppose if I was a CAR fan I'd be pretty happy about the news. As a Saints fan it's all positive because I look forward to what Indy will do to Carolina.

How was Vinny up until the 4th Quarter against ARI? What I know or remember of it was that ARI was hanging on pretty close something like 10-9, and Rattay was doing nothing and turning the ball over. There was a big run by D. Williams and CAR finally took over.

I know Vinny played a lot better than Carr and Carr's just awful and Vinny got the ball to Smith. Great. I'm just saying Indy will probably not be allowing SS to do what he did against ARI as I'm guessing they'll be all over Vinny. Maybe I'm wrong, admittedly, but that's my bet, not a great game for SS.

I think most are just happy that Testeverde was getting the ball to Smith while Carr showed repeatedly that he could not. The Colts defense while probably a little better than Arizona's really isn't anything that special. They do have a good pass rush and pay the run well (when Sanders isn't injured), but their secondary isn't overally talented and the cover-2 scheme can leave them vulnerable at times. The Panthers will need to throw to keep pace with the Colts so I'd expect Smith to see alot of throws his way.

Its not like anyone's necessarily happy that it has come to Testeverde, just that he beats the alternative of having to rely on Carrwreck to get Smith the ball.

No, I see what you're saying, it's definately not as good of matchup. But regardless, Vinny at least showed that he will get the ball to Smith, and Carr did not. So in this case, I will take a tough matchup with Vinny rather than a tough matchup with Carr. :cheers:

You know, am I the only one who sees the irony in this news? I mean, honestly, I figured there was absolutely no way in HELL that David Carr's back could ever be bruised in the first place. I mean, good God, he spent more time on it the last 4 seasons than Jenna Jameson...you'd think he'd have calluses on it by now...

That's BS!!! I sit and watch this Carr dude ruin Andre Johnson for 5 years and now that he is shipped out of town, the new team realizes how bad he sucks and puts in 43 year old Vinny instead of the worthless sissyboy Carr? Steve Smith must have threatened him.

Steve Smith must have threatened him.

Or he just decided to try on hats this weekend rather than play football.

Or he just decided to try on hats this weekend rather than play football.

Certainly possible sicne there is no way that LOSER can do two things at once.

Certainly possible sicne there is no way that LOSER can do two things at once.

you guys are kidding yourselves if you think this is good news. you will soon be reminded about why vinny should NEVER start in football again after this week...to reiterate, indy is NOT arizona. good luck w/his immobile azz...

you guys are kidding yourselves if you think this is good news. you will soon be reminded about why vinny should NEVER start in football again after this week...to reiterate, indy is NOT arizona. good luck w/his immobile azz...

:cheers: Indy has the pass rushers to make Vinny look really bad this weekend. My opinion is that its going to get ugly

i LOVE how Smith owners think vinny t is a savior. I laugh everytime i see it. in fact here's another one coming LOL. wow he had a good week with vinny at the hlm against a porous seconday at best. it was a neat story......maybe disney can make a movie, but let's get real people.

Vinny has thrown for 45k+ yards. Smith is one of the best receivers in the game. They proved they could do it last game. Vinny is old but gets the benefit of the doubt in my book. Smith is a must start.

i LOVE how Smith owners think vinny t is a savior. I laugh everytime i see it. in fact here's another one coming LOL. wow he had a good week with vinny at the hlm against a porous seconday at best. it was a neat story......maybe disney can make a movie, but let's get real people.

I don't think anybody expects Vinny to be the "saviour" as you claim. I think most people are just happy because Vinny is experienced enough to be able to figure out real quick how to move the ball downfield, which is to get it to SS very, very quickly. I could be wrong, but Foxx is a prett smart coach, so I don't see him putting Vinny in a lot of 5 and 7 step drops against the Indy pass rush so that he gets Vinny killed. I see them running SS on a lot of slants, WR screens, seam routes, etc., that don't require Vinny to have a lot of time to throw. And with Smitty, it's just a matter of getting him the ball enough times. I don't think anybody that knows anything about FF would expect SS to touch the ball 10-12 times and not have at least 100 yds rec and a td. If he touches the ball that many times, he's gonna break at least one. It may be a slant that he takes to the house, or a go-route up the sideline that catches Indy sleeping like Zona was last week. And go-routes don't necessarily require a lot of time to throw either. I guarantee that if Vinny puts a little air under the ball, he won't overthrow SS on a straight fly with just a 3-step drop and toss.

But, I guess, ultimately it remains to be seen.