Sign in to follow this  
mec411

DeShawn WYNN placed on IR

My buddy just told me that D. Wynn was placed on IR today. I don't have a link, so if homers can confirm that would be a plus.

Accordingly, what does this do for Grant's stock now?

DeShawn Wynn, RB GB

News: On Tuesday, the Packers placed RB DeShawn Wynn on injured reserve with a shoulder injury, ending the rookie's season. Wynn had four touchdowns on 50 carries with 203 rushing yards and 73 receiving yards on nine catches.

Analysis: Wynn was hurt early in the Week 8 game against Denver and did not return. He also hurt his neck in practice a couple of weeks back, but said it felt fine and was able to be active for the Broncos game. Now that he won't play again this season, the Packers' starting RB job will go to Ryan Grant with Brandon Jackson backing him up and Vernand Morency working on third downs.

Link

unspecified reasons - sounds like a bajyma strain

IMO, it just adds a bit more peace of mind to Grant owners, but any GB back isn't that great to own. He's now the starter, but I wouldn't stick him in your starting lineup unless you were really desperate or he comes up with a couple more good performances. This weekend's game should be a good reading of how he'll be.

Link

unspecified reasons - sounds like a bajyma strain

IMO, it just adds a bit more peace of mind to Grant owners, but any GB back isn't that great to own. He's now the starter, but I wouldn't stick him in your starting lineup unless you were really desperate or he comes up with a couple more good performances. This weekend's game should be a good reading of how he'll be.

Actually I disagree. I think Grant just got a HUGE boost. Now that Wynn is out of the picture, Grant will be the main back AND GL back. Morency and/or Jackson are nothing but 3rd down backs at this point. Neither of them are durable enough to get more than a handful of carries per game...

I had no guts. I picked him as this week's "deep sleeper" but didn't have the stones to pick him up myself. :wall:

Actually I disagree. I think Grant just got a HUGE boost. Now that Wynn is out of the picture, Grant will be the main back AND GL back. Morency and/or Jackson are nothing but 3rd down backs at this point. Neither of them are durable enough to get more than a handful of carries per game...

All that has happened is the GB RB situation got clearer. The fact remains that it is still the GB rushing attack. Go ahead, trade for Grant and then plug him into your starting lineup against the KC front 7 in Arrowhead.

So the pie is gonna be split 3 ways with Morency, B Jackson and Grant? Grant did look awesome, but GB backfield is as confusing as Denver....all four RB's have started at one time(but atleast now we know for sure, now its down to 3)

So the pie is gonna be split 3 ways with Morency, B Jackson and Grant? Grant did look awesome, but GB backfield is as confusing as Denver....all four RB's have started at one time(but atleast now we know for sure, now its down to 3)

McCarthy already said that Grant is the starter.

GB has been averaging 71 rushing yards per game. Enjoy relying on this week's WW flavor of the week. :wall:

Thanks, I will. Why must you piss on my bonfire? Look at his schedule down the stretch:

12 Thu, Nov 22 @ Detroit

13 Thu, Nov 29 @ Dallas

14 Sun, Dec 9 Oakland

15 Sun, Dec 16 @ St. Louis

16 Sun, Dec 23 @ Chicago

17 Sun, Dec 30 Detroit

ANY starting RB is worth something -- if only for playoff time or for favorable matchups ;)

Thanks, I will. Why must you piss on my bonfire? Look at his schedule down the stretch:

12 Thu, Nov 22 @ Detroit

13 Thu, Nov 29 @ Dallas

14 Sun, Dec 9 Oakland

16 Sun, Dec 23 @ Chicago

17 Sun, Dec 30 Detroit

ANY starting RB is worth something -- if only for playoff time or for favorable matchups :wall:

Sorry dude, but folks round here go nuts when they happen to snag the latest flavor of the week. While there have been some successes, there have been many failures as well. I love it when the guy in my league who happens to be first in waivers or for FA pickup drops a quality player just because he thinks he was on top of the news.

I hope it works out for you. ;) But it likely won't. He's not a very talented RB and the GB offense is designed around the pass.

12 Thu, Nov 22 @ Detroit

13 Thu, Nov 29 @ Dallas

14 Sun, Dec 9 Oakland

16 Sun, Dec 23 @ Chicago

17 Sun, Dec 30 Detroit

ANY starting RB is worth something -- if only for playoff time or for favorable matchups :wall:

You think Jamal Lewis has a better schd...probably could be had via trade.

Sun 11/25 Houston 1:00 pm

Sun 12/2 at Arizona 4:05 pm

Sun 12/9 at NY Jets 4:15 pm

Sun 12/16 Buffalo 1:00 pm

Sun 12/23 at Cincinnati 1:00 pm

Sun 12/30 San Francisco 1:00 pm

Sorry dude, but folks round here go nuts when they happen to snag the latest flavor of the week. While there have been some successes, there have been many failures as well. I love it when the guy in my league who happens to be first in waivers or for FA pickup drops a quality player just because he thinks he was on top of the news.

I hope it works out for you. :overhead: But it likely won't. He's not a very talented RB and the GB offense is designed around the pass.

Yeah, too bad you're a lying sack of sh!t.

#1 - If he's first in the WW process, he likely has a team loaded with crap or other trouble such as injuries.

#2 - He isn't dropping anyone worth anything to pick up a WW "flavor of the week."

But you post sounded "cool." Jackass. :pointstosky:

Yeah, too bad you're a lying sack of sh!t.

#1 - If he's first in the WW process, he likely has a team loaded with crap or other trouble such as injuries.

#2 - He isn't dropping anyone worth anything to pick up a WW "flavor of the week."

But you post sounded "cool." Jackass. :pointstosky:

Hello ######. :overhead: I'm guessing you've had a pretty sh!tty season and are pinning the next few weeks on Ryan Grant as your RB2? Why don't you actually add something to the discussion?

Geez. Just trying to inject a little reality check into the weekly WW orgy. I'm saying don't go nuts over a guy who put up 4.7 ypc against the league's worst rushing defense. He needs to do it next week before you think you won the WW lottery. Too many douchebags like you look at the stats on Yahoo and think they've found a gold mine. You need to actually watch the damn game if you want to evaluate a talent.

Again, here's what I think:

He's not a talented runner. He runs hard, but he didn't really run smart. He had miles of daylight on a few runs and he ran straight into his blocker or a defender. The good thing is when he did, he didn't crumple. He got an extra yard or two afterward. I didn't see any of his receptions so I don't know if he's a good receiver out of the backfield or not.

His role in this offense will likely be to make defenses honest so Favre and his 3 receivers can be the focal point through which the offense is run. If he forces the safeties and LB's to keep their eyes on the backfield, then this makes it easier for Favre to have free reign. It's impressive what Favre has done so far without a credible rushing attack.

Hey, if he performs well next week, then good for you and others who get him. I'm just saying don't expect too much. The GB rushing attack hasn't been all that great this year and it likely won't turn around and become awesome overnight.

Hey, Didomoron - you made up a load of bullsh!t in your earlier post and that's what I called you out about.

Your nickel assessment of his single game is cute and all that, but you act like a big know-it-all jockstrap by saying things like owners drop a really good player to pick up a flavor of the week. :cheers:

You don't know sh!t about Grant. Not jack-squattah and your assessment based upon last night's game is specious at best. He ran very well, quite strong, and did great catching passes out of the backfield.

Is he going to score 14 TDs this year? I don't think so, but he's showed more promise last night than any of the other backs in Green Bay, and don't think that fact didn't contribute in some capacity to Favre being able to blow the doors off of the "much vaunted secondary" of the Broncos who many were touting to shut down the Favre & Co. passing game.

Toss in the fact that the coach has confidently put him square in the starting position for the coming week and you have someone who is a starting back in the NFL for your roster if you happen to be struggling with injuries or consistent underperformance this year.

I'd love to know who "all those people you know" have dropped for the "flavor of the week." Seriously, just feel free to make some more sh!t up so I can laugh about it.

Hey, Didomoron - you made up a load of bullsh!t in your earlier post and that's what I called you out about.

Your nickel assessment of his single game is cute and all that, but you act like a big know-it-all jockstrap by saying things like owners drop a really good player to pick up a flavor of the week. :thumbsup:

You don't know sh!t about Grant. Not jack-squattah and your assessment based upon last night's game is specious at best. He ran very well, quite strong, and did great catching passes out of the backfield.

Is he going to score 14 TDs this year? I don't think so, but he's showed more promise last night than any of the other backs in Green Bay, and don't think that fact didn't contribute in some capacity to Favre being able to blow the doors off of the "much vaunted secondary" of the Broncos who many were touting to shut down the Favre & Co. passing game.

Toss in the fact that the coach has confidently put him square in the starting position for the coming week and you have someone who is a starting back in the NFL for your roster if you happen to be struggling with injuries or consistent underperformance this year.

I'd love to know who "all those people you know" have dropped for the "flavor of the week." Seriously, just feel free to make some more sh!t up so I can laugh about it.

Try reading his post(s) through a different lens... you come out of this looking dumb. I know you say you don't care, but why get all huffy and attack him if you don't...

Try reading his post(s) through a different lens... you come out of this looking dumb. I know you say you don't care, but why get all huffy and attack him if you don't...

What part of I love it when the guy in my league who happens to be first in waivers or for FA pickup drops a quality player just because he thinks he was on top of the news did I misunderstand, genius?

What part of I love it when the guy in my league who happens to be first in waivers or for FA pickup drops a quality player just because he thinks he was on top of the news did I misunderstand, genius?

Mephisto, I liked it better when you were from f*ck instead of fuckhole. Kindly change it back.

grant may not be a stud...

but as it was pointed out here before..the schedule isnt bad...

and even though the O is centered around the pass..the packers, unlike teams like the jets..rams..miami etc will be able to pass their way up and down the field...giving the packer backs numerous chances to score..

they may not...but i think its better to have 6 real drives per game as opposed to waiting for a gimpy s-jax to get close on a team thats dead...

for what its worth...and maybe tj can clear up the rumor..but the rumor here is that GB is waiting for dominic rhodes to get cut from oakland.. :cheers:

Yeah, but sometimes you do catch lightening in a bottle. A few years, back I was dead and buried and for a few games Gado was on fire and I made a strong run...came up just one game short, but it got me back in the race.

Another year I picked up Ruben Droughns when he got the start in Denver and he was a beast for a WW pickup. Thing is you must be willing to cast the line out there and also cut the bait at times.

At the very least, Grant will be a bye week fill in for me for Benson....he could also be an upgrade on Benson...to my dismay.

What part of the rest of his post are you ignoring now (which you knee-jerk responded to, rather unkindly). It was well thought-out and accurate and you dismissed it.

Your nickel assessment of his single game is cute and all that, but you act like a big know-it-all jockstrap by saying things like owners drop a really good player to pick up a flavor of the week. :banana:

<_<

Why don't you actually read what I wrote instead of focusing on one phrase? Did you happen to drop a good WR so you could cover a bye with Grant or something? Is that what is rubbing sand in between your labia right now?

He could be a good pickup. He might not be. If Grant proves me wrong by putting up a hundred and a TD on KC in Arrowhead, then I'll man up and admit it. But what I saw against the Broncos wasn't impressive. The Broncos have some of the least disciplined linebackers when it comes to stopping the run and he failed to take advantage of it on numerous occasions. There were, on many occasions, garganutan focking alleys that an above-average RB could have used to get to the second level - and Grant ran straight into the defender or his blocker. To his credit, he runs hard and usually got an extra yard or two after being hit.

In a nutshell, for the 3rd focking time since evidently it takes repetition for a moron like you to comprehend: he runs hard, but he doesn't run smart. Against disciplined LB's and decent run-stuffers, that won't buy you much. He'll be useful in the 4th quarter if GB has a lead and KC's D is tired. Otherwise, expect him to be used as a decoy to keep the secondary honest in terms of covering the run.

FYI, Favre put up good numbers even when his rushing attack couldn't put up decent numbers. See weeks 2-4. Based on this, it's clear where the talent in the GB offense lies and I don't think they'll change the focal point of their offense because they finally got some production from the backfield. I think the promise in the backfield just serves to help open things up for Favre in the long run.

grant may not be a stud...

but as it was pointed out here before..the schedule isnt bad...

and even though the O is centered around the pass..the packers, unlike teams like the jets..rams..miami etc will be able to pass their way up and down the field...giving the packer backs numerous chances to score..

they may not...but i think its better to have 6 real drives per game as opposed to waiting for a gimpy s-jax to get close on a team thats dead...

for what its worth...and maybe tj can clear up the rumor..but the rumor here is that GB is waiting for dominic rhodes to get cut from oakland.. :banana:

That's a good point. He runs hard enough that he'll get goalline looks. That definitely bumps his value up, since the GB offense is pretty good at moving the chains. He'll probably get a TD every other game or something like that, sorta like what Wynn was managing to do.

FWIW, I read that Al Davis might be holding onto Rhodes for spite, just to keep other coaches (Shanny and Gruden) from getting him.

<_<

Why don't you actually read what I wrote instead of focusing on one phrase? Did you happen to drop a good WR so you could cover a bye with Grant or something?

I dropped K. Brady for Grant...who was a bye week fill in for D. Lee. I think Meph dropped Tom Brady. :banana:

Look what do you have to loose picking up a RB who is the starter? The team he is on has a very good young D and a good O-line. Not to mention they have a solid passing game to open up lanes for the RB's.

If you ask me you have a potential RB2 as a waiver wire pickup. How do you go wrong? Packers RB when they produce can easily get you 10 points a game.

By the way I dropped Fred Taylor for him in one league. I had the following backs......

Gore

Portis

Jordan

Young

Look what do you have to loose picking up a RB who is the starter? The team he is on has a very good young D and a good O-line. Not to mention they have a solid passing game to open up lanes for the RB's.

If you ask me you have a potential RB2 as a waiver wire pickup. How do you go wrong? Packers RB when they produce can easily get you 10 points a game.

By the way I dropped Fred Taylor for him in one league. I had the following backs......

Gore

Portis

Jordan

Young

What do you have to lose? In your case, Fred Taylor.

It's up to you to take that risk. You dropped a known commodity (talented and in a run-oriented offense, but injury prone and sharing carries) for an unknown (feature back for one week at least in a pass-oriented offense, talent so-so, but gets GL carries). If your team needs a spark, it might be a good move, especially considering the GB upcoming sked.

What do you have to lose? In your case, Fred Taylor.

It's up to you to take that risk. You dropped a known commodity (talented and in a run-oriented offense, but injury prone and sharing carries) for an unknown (feature back for one week at least in a pass-oriented offense, talent so-so, but gets GL carries). If your team needs a spark, it might be a good move, especially considering the GB upcoming sked.

What has Fred Taylor doen this year? Show me a reason to keep him? 0 TD's and 0 100 yard games. In my league a point for every 20 yards he is worth little at this point.

I learned along time ago that those with balls win fantasy championships. You have to go for it sometimes.

What has Fred Taylor doen this year? Show me a reason to keep him? 0 TD's and 0 100 yard games. In my league a point for every 20 yards he is worth little at this point.

Well, good for you then. Under your league scoring, I'd have made the same move. In most of my leagues, he is worth a roster spot, especially with MJD being an injury concern. He's good for the more yardage oriented leagues if he gets carries.

What part of the rest of his post are you ignoring now (which you knee-jerk responded to, rather unkindly). It was well thought-out and accurate and you dismissed it.

No, it wasn't, and I addressed that, too. Maybe the person who needs some reading comprehension lessons is you.

No, it wasn't, and I addressed that, too. Maybe the person who needs some reading comprehension lessons is you.

What exactly are you trying to say? :thumbsup:

He's not a very talented RB and the GB offense is designed around the pass.

Do you really know that or are you just throwing things out there? Its hard to base it on his first career start. Grant had a pretty nice career at Notre Dame and a very good combine workout. He was injured for all of 2006, but he had a great preseason in New York, but with Droughns, Ward, Jacobs and Bradshaw (and him being a similiar back to the first three) he was a victim of the numbers game and traded to GB. The GB staff liked him but its a complicated running system and he needed to get acclimated.

He ran very well against Denver, who admittedly are very bad against the run. I'm not ready to annoint him and I don't own in in my big money re-draft (I do own both Wynn and Grant in a dynasty but hardly count on him), but to say he isn't very talented when you really have no clue just doesn't make sense.

He is a powerful downhill runner which fits the GB scheme perfectly. The Pack will certainly need to run once the weather starts turning.

There will be those that will call him a savior and those ready to piss on them without any substance to back it up. Lets all wait and see what happens.

Hello ######. :cheers: I'm guessing you've had a pretty sh!tty season and are pinning the next few weeks on Ryan Grant as your RB2? Why don't you actually add something to the discussion?

Geez. Just trying to inject a little reality check into the weekly WW orgy. I'm saying don't go nuts over a guy who put up 4.7 ypc against the league's worst rushing defense. He needs to do it next week before you think you won the WW lottery. Too many douchebags like you look at the stats on Yahoo and think they've found a gold mine. You need to actually watch the damn game if you want to evaluate a talent.

Again, here's what I think:

He's not a talented runner. He runs hard, but he didn't really run smart. He had miles of daylight on a few runs and he ran straight into his blocker or a defender. The good thing is when he did, he didn't crumple. He got an extra yard or two afterward. I didn't see any of his receptions so I don't know if he's a good receiver out of the backfield or not.

His role in this offense will likely be to make defenses honest so Favre and his 3 receivers can be the focal point through which the offense is run. If he forces the safeties and LB's to keep their eyes on the backfield, then this makes it easier for Favre to have free reign. It's impressive what Favre has done so far without a credible rushing attack.

Hey, if he performs well next week, then good for you and others who get him. I'm just saying don't expect too much. The GB rushing attack hasn't been all that great this year and it likely won't turn around and become awesome overnight.

Except it did this past Monday, you dumbfock. :thumbsup:

There were, on many occasions, garganutan focking alleys that an above-average RB could have used to get to the second level - and Grant ran straight into the defender or his blocker. To his credit, he runs hard and usually got an extra yard or two after being hit.

So, you've made your assessment (which is full of bullshit, because I watched the same game) based upon 1 performance which saw him get 104 yards, on 22 carries, nearly 5 yards per carry. He had three receptions for an additional 7-yards.

I believe he had approximately 5 carries that resulted in less than 3 yards and many of his carries were of 5 or more yards. I guess he ran into his lineman and fell forward 16 or more feet, right?

He also had at least 2 rushes of 5+ yards negated by a penalty.

The issues here from my perspective are as follows:

- I know of few people who give up a "quality player" for a "flavor of the month."

- Your critique is based upon one game and I believe your analysis, particularly regarding where and how he ran, is overstated.

- Green Bay's offense is a pass first offense only because it has HAD to be. They are on record as saying that they know that the must establish a running game and will take the opportunity to forge ahead in that regard with Grant.

My point was simply this: If you're stuck at RB, either via injury or consistent underperformance, any #1 runningback has value and is worth adding to your roster.

It's not the big focking joke you made it out to be in your earlier posts, and I reiterate - that was the issue I had with it. Now, you've got consecutive posts where you essentially agree with my take on things, so I guess even you believe I'm correct.

:huh:

Do you really know that or are you just throwing things out there?

He's throwing sh!t out there and trying to sound like a focking ESPN analyst trying to do it. :huh:

I watched the game, too, and Grant did a fine job. You don't average 5ypc by running into your lineman and "falling ahead for a few extra yards" on a consistent basis. Even if you scratch out the high and the low (24, -2) - he still averaged at or just over 4ypc. He had no more <3 yard carries than any other runningback in the league on a weekly basis.

No, I'm not saying he's LaDainian Tomlinson, but A Dorko Brother threw him under the bus after one game and did so by espousing a bunch of bullsh!t that isn't the truth.

Green Bay knows it has to focus on running more. Yes, the Denver run D was a good place to get it started.

Excerpts from an article pulled from RTSports:

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -While Brett Favre's two long touchdown passes in Monday night's overtime win at Denver got all the attention, the Green Bay Packers might have found something even more important: a running game and a bona fide starting halfback in Ryan Grant.

After relying on the pass their first six games, the Packers (6-1) had their first balanced offensive attack of the season with 28 passes and 27 runs.

-----

``We've struggled all year with it,'' said right tackle Mark Tauscher, singled out by McCarthy as having had ``an exceptional day'' blocking on the back side. ``To come out and execute after a bye week with all the emphasis on it was important for us.''

Added center Jason Spitz, who started in place of Scott Wells for the second straight game: ``It was nice to move the ball for once in that aspect of the game. We really emphasized the run in practice last week. It's been something that's obviously been vital for us to correct. And I think we corrected it. We still have a lot of work to do, but I'm satisfied with it right now.''

-----

Grant, meanwhile, seems to fit the Packers' zone-blocking scheme better than any of the team's other backs. At 6-foot-1 and 224 pounds, he has better size than Wynn (5-10, 232), Brandon Jackson (5-10, 212) and Vernand Morency (5-10, 212). In addition, Grant looks like he runs harder and more decisively than the others.

-----

``His body type, he's taller, he has longer leverage than the other running backs, he runs with a natural forward lean,'' McCarthy said. ``He doesn't waste steps. He had that running style before he arrived here, and that's a big part of being successful in the zone schemes. The other guys are built differently, have different running styles.

-----

Grant, acquired from the New York Giants for a sixth-round draft pick on Sept. 1, gained four or more yards on 12 of 22 attempts, including three 7-yard runs, two 6-yarders, an 8-yarder, a 9-yarder and a 24-yard gain.

He was stopped for a loss or no gain just three times, a credit to the offensive line.

-----

It should also help the passing game.

Favre's 79-yard TD to James Jones and his 82-yard winner to Jennings came off play-action fakes.

``Play-action is kind of nonexistent when you're not running the ball,'' said Favre, who completed 21 of 27 passes for 331 yards and two touchdowns against the Broncos.

``So both were down-the-field throws, but they came off play-action. You don't call those play-actions if you're not running the ball effectively. I always felt play-action was one of my better parts of my game, but it doesn't make a lot of sense if you're not running the ball well.''

So it looks like I wasn't the only one who saw the very things I tried to explain to Didodope. And clearly, he wasn't watching the same game most everyone else was watching, including the professionals like Coach McCarthy.

Owned. :thumbsup:

Owned. :overhead:

:thumbsup:

Let's lay this to rest until Sunday. He puts up 100 and a TD on against an average KC run defense in their house, then I'm sold on him and you are a football genius. If he does that, you can bump this thread and proclaim to the FFToday message boards how you "owned" a guy who didn't believe in your WW gold. Then when Grant leads you to your league's winnings you can purchase the domain name www.mephistoownedadidobrotheronfftoday.com and email the link to your best friend.