Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Twins and Red Sox exchange medical records for Santana and Lester

:thumbsdown:

Rumor has it they are very close to a deal. The Twins told the red sox they will accept 2 different packages.

One including Lester and Crisp with Masterson and someone else

One including Ellsbury, not Lester and I don't know the rest.

The Twins negotiated with the Yankees and Red Sox throughout the night. I packed up around 1 a.m. and was headed for my hotel. Then I got word of this.

It could mean that the Red Sox and Twins have reached agreement on a deal involving Johan Santana.

I’ve spent the offseason speculating on names and possible transactions. When it’s time to write about the finalization of a deal, there’s no time for educated guessing. I prefer to be as certain as possible about the names involved.

Around 2 a.m. I contacted someone with knowledge of the negotiations. That person had heard that the deal was for four players: Jon Lester, Coco Crisp, Jed Lowrie and Justin Masterson. Notice that Jacoby Ellsbury is not part of the deal.

I didn’t run with it then because I really wanted to be sure. But I want to let you know this morning that’s what I’m hearing. I’m still trying to get further confirmation of the potential deal. Maybe the exchange of medicals isn’t as serious of a step as we think. Maybe a name has been switched (i.e. Rincon, Juan for Morlan, Eddie).

What makes this more difficult is that, if true, Santana’s agent, Peter Greenberg, has to swing into action and negotiate a contract extension. Until then, both the Twins and Red Sox may barricade themselves in their suites, forcing a Smokin’ Aces showdown with the media.

In this case, most of my information has come from trusted individuals from other clubs because the Twins have kept their plans, thoughts, whims and dreams hermetically sealed down here.

So save your final reactions until we make sure of the players involved

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/neal/?p=285

The Sox should totally trade Ellsbury.

Sure, he had a great end of the season and postseason, but how many baseball players have had immense potential, only to turn into pieces of sh!t?

I say deal him while his stock is high...

I don't completely buy it. I think the Twins are asking for Lester's records to get the Yankees itchy. No way the Yankees are giving up on Santana.

The Sox should totally trade Ellsbury.

Sure, he had a great end of the season and postseason, but how many baseball players have had immense potential, only to turn into pieces of sh!t?

I say deal him while his stock is high...

Would rather trade Lester. They will have 7 starting pitchers if they trade Elsbury. At the very least elsbury will be one of the fastest guys in the majors and an excellent defensive outfielder. If he can hit .300 with a decent on base percentage he will be a star leadoff man.

The Red Sox could be bluffing as well. They can always agree to the trade and then just say that they have to back out when they can't reach an extension with santana. I'm not sure if the Yankees or the Red Sox really want to spend that kind of money on Santana when both are sitting on inexpensive prospects that have star potential. These two teams are rich but even they like a bargain.

Would rather trade Lester. They will have 7 starting pitchers if they trade Elsbury. At the very least elsbury will be one of the fastest guys in the majors and an excellent defensive outfielder. If he can hit .300 with a decent on base percentage he will be a star leadoff man.

The Red Sox could be bluffing as well. They can always agree to the trade and then just say that they have to back out when they can't reach an extension with santana. I'm not sure if the Yankees or the Red Sox really want to spend that kind of money on Santana when both are sitting on inexpensive prospects that have star potential. These two teams are rich but even they like a bargain.

Oh yeah? Remember when they had too many starting pitchers and traded Arroyo for Willy Slow?

Oh yeah? Remember when they had too many starting pitchers and traded Arroyo for Willy Slow?

:shudder:

A meh pitcher for a meh hitter.

A meh pitcher for a meh hitter.

That's bogus.

Which would you rather have? especially in a year when they didn't have much pitching. I'd much rather have a 4th or 5th starter than a backup outfielder.

That's bogus.

Which would you rather have? especially in a year when they didn't have much pitching. I'd much rather have a 4th or 5th starter than a backup outfielder.

I'd rather have the team that won the World Series. The one we had last year.

I'd rather have the team that won the World Series. The one we had last year.

Willy Mo wasn't part of that team.

They couldn't wait to get him out of town.

I'd rather have Bronson Arroyo on the team that won the world series. Winning the world series doesn't mean you're perfect.

I'd rather have Bronson Arroyo on the team that won the world series. Winning the world series doesn't mean you're perfect.

I hate to bore you with actual data, ed, but did you not see Arroyo's numbers this year? :nono:

I hate to bore you with actual data, ed, but did you not see Arroyo's numbers this year? :nono:

Yes, I know he wasn't very good. I think he's still better than Tavarez

3:28 p.m., from Peter Gammons

• The Twins and Red Sox are getting closer to finalizing a Johan Santana deal. Boston has sweetened its offer by adding a fifth player to the the offer -- outfield prospect Ryan Kalish, a ninth-round draft pick in the 2006 out of Red Bank Catholic High School (Shrewsbury, N.J.).

Kalish is a very good CF prospect, but if we're hanging onto Ellsbury who cares?

:hyper:

you would rather they trade Elsbury? :doublethumbsup:

I really want them to keep elsbury because he is just an exciting player to watch. The Red Sox have had some great hitters but never anyone as exciting on the basepaths as elsbury. Fun guy to watch.

Kalish is a very good CF prospect, but if we're hanging onto Ellsbury who cares?

:hyper:

and he is a 9th round choice. Bosox must have some good scouts these days.

Not a huge BBall fan but do like the Sox.. The Sox can't pass on this for 2 reasons. A. It gives them the best rotation IMO in Baseball ( Beckett , Santana, Schilling, DiceK - on top of a hell of a Bull pen ) and B. It stops the Yankees from getting him and finally getting a decent pitcher.

Boston in 08 WOW. Best Pitching staff in baseball and a damn good line up as well. Boston 07 and 08 > Yankees late 90's

and he is a 9th round choice. Bosox must have some good scouts these days.

Hold overs from when The Duke was GM :doublethumbsup:

He wasn't very good in the Quadruple A ball. The trade ended up being a wash. If Arroyo is on the roster, they may not have used Lester.

Arroyo and Pena both suck.

Tavarez is never going to be a Cy Young candidate but he's quite a bit more valuable than his numbers imply. Tavarez can go from the rotation to long relief to situational to closing without any retooling. He's a life saver when it comes to injuries. Plus, he's a great clubhouse guy and is good friends with Manny, helping him to stay at least mildly sane.

He's a much better fit for the Sox right now than a 4th or 5th starter like Arroyo.

Hey, does anyone know which team Miguel Cabrera and Dontrel Willis are playing for this coming season?

I haven't heard anything amidst all of the Santana blather.

Hey, does anyone know which team Miguel Cabrera and Dontrel Willis are playing for this coming season?

I haven't heard anything amidst all of the Santana blather.

Cabrera is great, but Dontrelle Willis is terrible. Andrew Miller is better than him right now.

From a Minnesota beat writer's blog:

Good morning

Wednesday, December 5th, 2007, 12:11 PM ET

It’s been a busy morning already. The Baseball Writers Association of America held its annual meeting at 9 a.m. Twins manager Ron Gardenhire has his press conference at 10 a.m. I will provide highlights of his 30-minute session later today.

The annual mangers-media luncheon is at noon, so there will be little time for a beat writer to stake out the lobby for one of his trusted sources. The national scribes have even a bigger advantage until the afternoon.

A lot of us here are coming to the realization that the Twins may head home from the winter meetings with Johan Santana still on the roster. The Twins continue to negotiate with multiple teams, and I’m impressed that they’ve held firm on their demands.

Even if the teams agree to terms, agent Peter Greenberg would have to work out a contract extension before the deal would be final. The league usually allows a 72-hour window for such negotiations. Maybe they would need all 72 hours, maybe not. But the chances are growing that a deal won’t be finalized here.

BTW, I’ve chatted with some Devil Rays people here who speak highly of Delmon Young. Yes, he has shown some immaturity. They also say he’s a bright kid with massive talent who will be a force when the light comes on.

I’ve got about 45 minutes before the luncheon, so I’m going to sweep the lobby and see what’s up. I’ll check in later.

From a Minnesota beat writer's blog:

I knew they were using the red sox to get more from other teams. The yankees are not out of this either.

but Dontrelle Willis is terrible. Andrew Miller is better than him right now.

based on what?

I knew they were using the red sox to get more from other teams. The yankees are not out of this either.

Absolutely. I never had a doubt that the Yankees were out of it.

based on what?

Beckett must blow then too.

Career era's:

D-Train 3.78

Beckett 3.74

That extra run allowed every 25 games makes all the difference.

Beckett must blow then too.

Career era's:

D-Train 3.78

Beckett 3.74

That extra run allowed every 25 games makes all the difference.

:cheers:

so what's more important. What they did 3 years ago, or what they did last year? what's a better indication of a pitcher? :blink:

a 3-year average

HTH

Look at Roger Clemens 3 years before he went to Toronto

OWNT! :(

Look at Roger Clemens 3 years before he went to Toronto

OWNT! :(

:lol:

His average ERA from 1994-96 is 3.55. Boy, that's awful!

:doublethumbsup:

:lol:

His average ERA from 1994-96 is 3.55. Boy, that's awful!

:(

For him? :doublethumbsup:

How did he do the next 2 years? Shocking, you'd think it would have been impossible, the 3 years before that tell all!!

For him? :headbanger:

How did he do the next 2 years? Shocking, you'd think it would have been impossible, the 3 years before that tell all!!

He did better. But 1996 alone is a poorer indicator of 1997-98 success than the set 1994-96 is. See what I'm saying?

Also, he was hurt those years anyway. He only started like 20 games in that period.