Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

I need a vehicle hauled to ND from California.

From Covina, California to Fargo, ND to haul a regular ol pickup from down there to up here....guess how much I was quoted.

From Covina, California to Fargo, ND to haul a regular ol pickup from down there to up here....guess how much I was quoted.

2K? is this like the price is right, try to get close but not over?

2K? is this like the price is right, try to get close but not over?

The lady told me "Nineteen Fifty"---so I am assuming she meant $1950.00.

That's frigging insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The lady told me "Nineteen Fifty"---so I am assuming she meant $1950.00.

That's frigging insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

sounds about right, surprised it wasn't more with a "fuel surcharge"

I could fly out there, and drive it back for less. I wouldn't think you'd be able to get it cheaper yourself than have it shipped.

It's got 38" swamper tires, so it's not practical to drive it 1200 miles back.

Make sure you have full coverage on it just in case the people you hire to move it decide to take it elsewhere and part it out :thumbsdown:

Now, that is Geek help at its finest :overhead:

Can't beat competition. :thumbsdown:

I could fly out there, and drive it back for less. I wouldn't think you'd be able to get it cheaper yourself than have it shipped.

Why not? They can't fly there and get it, they have to go and get it with a large, slow truck that gets poor mileage, and then haul it back the same way.

I did a quick search and saw that it's roughly 2800 miles round trip. At say 10 miles a gallon thats 280 gallons times $3+ a gallon of diesel that's half your cost just on fuel. Then Figure 40+ hours driving time at $20 an hour for the driver and you're close to the what they quoted you right there without ever considering any of there other costs. Again, seems very reasonable to me.

Why not? They can't fly there and get it, they have to go and get it with a large, slow truck that gets poor mileage, and then haul it back the same way.

I did a quick search and saw that it's roughly 2800 miles round trip. At say 10 miles a gallon thats 280 gallons times $3+ a gallon of diesel that's half your cost just on fuel. Then Figure 40+ hours driving time at $20 an hour for the driver and you're close to the what they quoted you right there without ever considering any of there other costs. Again, seems very reasonable to me.

a lot of those trucks get roughly 6 MPG

a lot of those trucks get roughly 6 MPG

Yeah, our tankers get about 5-6. I though a single car hauler might maybe pull 10 but I figured I was being generous there.

Well...yeah...but....my item shouldn't be the only thing on their trailer...or would it get hauled by itself? And they shouldn't be driving out there for that. They would get it "on their way" back????

Well...yeah...but....my item shouldn't be the only thing on their trailer...or would it get hauled by itself?

:music_guitarred:

Don't know the logistics of something like this, but if it's not a direct point to point type of deal then you're probably adding distance and handling with the likelihood that it will have to change trucks at some point. Any way you slice it I can't see you doing much better than two grand.

:music_guitarred:

Don't know the logistics of something like this, but if it's not a direct point to point type of deal then you're probably adding distance and handling with the likelihood that it will have to change trucks at some point. Any way you slice it I can't see you doing much better than two grand.

or take in account they might have to dead head for a while, Fargo is off the beaten path a bit.

i would just wait for the weekend storms to blow through and collect flood/mudslide insurance on the thing and buy something new up in ND.....

wait...GF quit his job and hes free....ask him...

So, let me get this straight. We have a truck with 38" tires going from CA to Fargo in the middle of winter with gas prices at over $3 per gallon. You don't want to drive it the 2800 miles and you want someone to carry it for you the 2800 miles.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that you should pop some cheapo Costco/BJ's/Sam's Club tires on that truck and drive it yourself if you are not willing to pony up the $2G. :overhead:

So, let me get this straight. We have a truck with 38" tires going from CA to Fargo in the middle of winter with gas prices at over $3 per gallon. You don't want to drive it the 2800 miles and you want someone to carry it for you the 2800 miles.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that you should pop some cheapo Costco/BJ's/Sam's Club tires on that truck and drive it yourself if you are not willing to pony up the $2G. :dunno:

Not being a ######, but you should jump at that deal. Your getting a steal and I looked out our routes and can't figure out why they would even give you close to that unless they had a backhaul alredy available. Remember, your the hassle. Your a single event ship without anything to offer for the trip back. Technically, you should be responsible for both the trip TO you and the trip BACK.

I know my trans guys would even talk to you for less that $2750. I'm paid $950 to move a single piece of equipment in an enclosed trailer 80 miles yesterday.

It ain't the 50's, thats a good rate.

And OF COURSE its cheaper for you to do it yourself.

Like 3 years ago, I paid $1,000 to ship a Jeep from New Hampshire to Arizona. Don't remember the service I used ... but it is competitive. Of course, 3 years ago, gas was free and the minimum wage was 50 cents an hour ... so ... things might have changed since then.