Sign in to follow this  
Celticspride

Patriot fans...

The Patriots have some major questions to answer going forward.

On offense the first step is trying to sign Moss. Eventhough he came up rather lame in the playoffs, just having him on the field allowed guys like Faulk and Welker to be productive underneath so even when he doesn't produce he's a valuable weapon and the Pats have to make every reasonable attempt to sign him. Stallworth is gone, but that's not that big of a loss. He made some big catches this year but Gaffney and or Jackson should be able to duplicate his production. The offensive line was thought to be a major strength for this team and they are all wrapped up for the forseeable future, but after sunday's game I'm not so sure that's a good thing. I still think they'll be fine, and I am a huge fan of their interior line, but Kazcur is definitely a liabilty and Light has always struggled against speed rushers (except Merriman for whatever reason), so I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring in another tackle either thru free agency or the draft to compete with Kazcur. And maybe Ryan O'Callaghan is worth a look- he can't possibly be as bad as Kazcur, could he?

The defensive line is set- Green, Wilfork, Warren and Seymour are all very good and under contract (although Seymour was a disappointment this year, so hopefully it was because of his knee injury...If not, that's going to be an area of concern)....The LBs are a huge question mark- I assume Colvin will be back eventhough his cap number is pretty high and Adalius Thomas will be back, and Vrabel will be back but he's not getting any younger and who knows what's gonna happen with Bruschi and Seau. Both are getting up there and their play isn't going to get any better (And Bruschi was already inconsistent). I'm not counting on Eric Alexander to be a productive player, so they are going to have to find some young play-making LBs in a hurry. Oscar Lua is one guy who might help, but considering his age he's probably still a year or two away from helping (and thats if he ever develops into a valuable NFL player)....the secondary is another question mark- I'm guessing Samuel is gone, and Hobbs is definitely not ready to be a #1 CB. Gay is a free agent (and shaky even if he re-signs). They have a few guys that are great nickel corners, but even counting Hobbs no solid starters (assuming Asante leaves). Harrison had a very good year but he's not getting any younger. James Sanders looked very good at times and should be able to be more productive in the future, but Merriweather is far from a sure thing, and Wilson is probably gone considering his lack of production and the fact that he was in the coaches doghouse for much of the year.

I'm assuming they'll take a CB or LB at #7 and will be defense-heavy in the rest of the draft, but with the Pats, who knows....

If you are so inclined, there is a long analysis in the Globe today

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...more_decisions/

- Does Samuel get signed? I don't think so

- Is Hobbs good enough to be a starting CB? Based on the above, he is going to have to be

- Does Harrison have enough in the tank to play another year? Probably one more year, but he is somewhat of a liability in coverage

- Are Bruschi and Seau coming back? I think that one is coming back. I just don't know which one. :thumbsdown:

- Is Colvin coming back? I don't think that the injury is an issue, but his cap number is. I think that he will restructure and be back.

- They have some definite needs at LB and DB (see above). I think that they are going to take several of each in the draft. They do have a good number of picks

- Do they restructure Brady? I would expect so. They don't want him to be a $14M+ cap hit next season

- Sammy Morris is back next season. That helps shore up the RB situation

- Moss needs to be signed or franchised. I think that they will try to do the former

- Stallworth is probably gone. He may look for more money elsewhere.

- Gaffney could be back. They could dangle the #2 spot in front of him like they did with Stallworth.

- Kelley Washington is a question mark. I think that he wants a chance to play and he has a bonus of $4m due

Should be an interesting offseason for the Patriots and many other teams.

Moss came up 'lame' in the Playoffs because they didn't utilize his talents at all. Did you notice the Pats only successful drive of the Super Bowl they were moving Randy around, bringing him in on slants, using him over the middle, etc. This is something they didn't do all year, the only thing Randy did was run streaks down the sideline to allow Welker man coverage. If they used Randy to his proper talents I think they could have moved the ball better in the Bowl, and he could have possibly had an even better year. (Kinda trailed off towards the end.)

I don't know who I'd rather see signed Moss or Samuel. We have to face it, only one is going to be re-signed, there is no way they can fit both under the cap. The whole that Samuel would leave would be larger than the whole Moss left just due to depth.

Do they move Wilson to CB, or Meriweather to CB (which he can play). I'd rather see Meriweather stay at Safety, he is ready to be a player. He has bulked up considerably since the beginning of the year and has been all over the field when he does get playing time.

Should be an interesting off-season.

If you are so inclined, there is a long analysis in the Globe today

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...more_decisions/

- Does Samuel get signed? I don't think so

- Is Hobbs good enough to be a starting CB? Based on the above, he is going to have to be

- Does Harrison have enough in the tank to play another year? Probably one more year, but he is somewhat of a liability in coverage

- Are Bruschi and Seau coming back? I think that one is coming back. I just don't know which one. :thumbsdown:

- Is Colvin coming back? I don't think that the injury is an issue, but his cap number is. I think that he will restructure and be back.

- They have some definite needs at LB and DB (see above). I think that they are going to take several of each in the draft. They do have a good number of picks

- Do they restructure Brady? I would expect so. They don't want him to be a $14M+ cap hit next season

- Sammy Morris is back next season. That helps shore up the RB situation

- Moss needs to be signed or franchised. I think that they will try to do the former

- Stallworth is probably gone. He may look for more money elsewhere.

- Gaffney could be back. They could dangle the #2 spot in front of him like they did with Stallworth.

- Kelley Washington is a question mark. I think that he wants a chance to play and he has a bonus of $4m due

Thanks for the link (and your input)....

I'd like to see what he can do. One thing is for sure, he is one hell of a special teamer.

I hope Chad Jackson is finally able to stay healthy and show what he could do... definitely could be a difference maker if given a chance.

I'd like to see what he can do. One thing is for sure, he is one hell of a special teamer.

I hope Chad Jackson is finally able to stay healthy and show what he could do... definitely could be a difference maker if given a chance.

The fact that New England traded two picks to move up to get him (one of those picks turning out to be Greg Jennings) will make it extremely tough to take if Jackson doesn't step up. Imagine how good Jennings would look in a Pats uniform? Belichick and Pioli have drafted very well but it looks like they dropped the ball on that one....

Who do the Pats get once Belichick is banned from coaching after Spygate?

Where do the Pats find a cheapshot, late hitting, punk to replace the aging Rodney Harrison?

Will Tom Brady and Randy Moss recover from sandinmygina (reason both are skipping ProBowl) by springtraining?

I'll hang up and listen.

Belichick will be fine, Harrison will be back for 1 more year, Brady and Moss will use the next few months to get healthy. Franchise Moss, we`ll see. Address the DB`s and LB`s in the off season and it`s off to the races. At this point with this organization it`s reload not rebuild. 08 will be another extended run at the Super Bowl. stay tuned :thumbsup:

The fact that New England traded two picks to move up to get him (one of those picks turning out to be Greg Jennings) will make it extremely tough to take if Jackson doesn't step up. Imagine how good Jennings would look in a Pats uniform? Belichick and Pioli have drafted very well but it looks like they dropped the ball on that one....

I think he could have used one more year in College as he was only a starter at Florida for one year, but did manage to catch 80+ balls that year.

He had limited time in his rookie year but 13 rec, 152 yards and 3 TDs looked like a great start. This was after missing the pre-season and before getting an ACL tear. This will be his second year after the ACL and has a ton of talent... let's hope they can tap into it.

I believe they have plans to remodel the opposing teams locker rooms with the newest state of the art surveillance equipment. :thumbsdown:

I believe they have plans to remodel the opposing teams locker rooms with the newest state of the art surveillance equipment. <_<

Nice! Belichick's taking a page out of Halas and Lombardi's books!!!

Nice! Belichick's taking a page out of Halas and Lombardi's books!!!

They focked other guy's wives, too? <_<

They focked other guy's wives, too? :doublethumbsup:

Maybe...?

But since when is that a crime (or against the NFL rules)...If it was there'd probably be a lot more guys getting fined....

Maybe...?

But since when is that a crime (or against the NFL rules)...If it was there'd probably be a lot more guys getting fined....

It is not, but spying is, I cannot believe you guys stand behind your cheating coach!!!! Is winning everything, or is integrity important too?

Edit-- I forgot, you did not win and you cheated. That is pretty sad!!!!

It is not, but spying is, I cannot believe you guys stand behind your cheating coach!!!! Is winning everything, or is integrity important too?

Edit-- I forgot, you did not win and you cheated. That is pretty sad!!!!

They did too win when they cheated. Look closely at those 3 Lombardi Trophies. See there near the threads of the football? Yeah, that little *