Sign in to follow this  
NorthernVike

Next month I'm taking my son to a Baseball game

A group of around 50 or so are heading down to Minneapolis to go to a couple of Twins games. I will be driving my own vehicle with a buddy of mine and my son. Two nights in a hotel and two games at the dome. Any one take a 4 year old to a game? How did you keep them from getting bored? Should I leave him home and pick up an Asian hooker instead?

:o

It depends. Are you taking him because you have no one to watch him or because he's excited

about seeing his first baseball game?

I think my son was 4 when I took him to his first baseball game. (and football, now that I think about it).

He had fun, but the novelty sort of wore off after the first few innings as expected.

I have taken my kids to games when they were younger that that. Go ahead and do it. The best thing you can do as a dad is take your kids to a ball game.

Alright, I'll say it - don't take a 4yo to the ballgame. He'll be bored before you know it - you can't fight it. It will happen. I doubt his attention span will last through the first inning. You won't watch the game because you'll be trying to keep him from squirming, or whining or wandering off.

Its great to take a kid to the ballgame, but I say wait until he can enjoy it. As for the father-son bonding, at 4 he doesn't understand the game and it won't be a memorable experience for either of you. Plus, the folks paying for seats around you will appreciate not having the distraction, too.

It depends. Are you taking him because you have no one to watch him or because he's excited

about seeing his first baseball game?

I think my son was 4 when I took him to his first baseball game. (and football, now that I think about it).

He had fun, but the novelty sort of wore off after the first few innings as expected.

Not at all. Its a father son trip. My son will be the youngest in the group. I want to spend the weekend with just me and him. I'm leaving my 2 year old son at home with mom. I'm just looking for some tips to try and keep him intrested in the game if possible or at least keep him happy thru most of it. If he wants to leave we will and go back to the hotel and swim or whatnot. I'm not a real big MLB fan myself but I think it would be cool for him to go to the dome before the Twins get their new stadium in a couple of years. At which point I'll bring both of them to a game there.

Alright, I'll say it - don't take a 4yo to the ballgame. He'll be bored before you know it - you can't fight it. It will happen. I doubt his attention span will last through the first inning. You won't watch the game because you'll be trying to keep him from squirming, or whining or wandering off.

Its great to take a kid to the ballgame, but I say wait until he can enjoy it. As for the father-son bonding, at 4 he doesn't understand the game and it won't be a memorable experience for either of you. Plus, the folks paying for seats around you will appreciate not having the distraction, too.

I understand your concern with the other fans, but we will be sitting in a group of seats with the others in our caravan. There will be lots of kids just not any as young as him. I think the next youngest is about 6.

Not at all. Its a father son trip. My son will be the youngest in the group. I want to spend the weekend with just me and him. I'm leaving my 2 year old son at home with mom. I'm just looking for some tips to try and keep him intrested in the game if possible or at least keep him happy thru most of it. If he wants to leave we will and go back to the hotel and swim or whatnot. I'm not a real big MLB fan myself but I think it would be cool for him to go to the dome before the Twins get their new stadium in a couple of years. At which point I'll bring both of them to a game there.

Then all the more reason to take him. I think it's a great idea. :o

When my son was little, I loved taking him on outings - just me and him, without any distractions - to totally bond with him.

My advice: I'd prepare him ahead of time... sort of build up the excitement for him, you know? Does he already watch baseball with you on TV?

Definitely have him take his glove - not sure where your seats are, if there's the chance of catching a foul ball or not - but if so, the thought of possibly catching a ball might help keep him interested.

I don't think you'll be able to keep him attentive throughout the entire game... I mean, it's baseball, it gets pretty boring.

But I do think it will be a memorable experience for both of you.

Good luck, (but I really don't think you'll need it) and just have fun.

if u HAVE to take him....

go to the store ahead of time and let him pick out the snacks..and tell him this is what he gets..no snacks at the game..

u can treat him to something at the game for not whining..but chances are, every other inning, he may whine that he wants this and that...try to set rules...

the single gals will think u 2 are adorable and will want to blow you under the big baggy in right....

What the fock, the kid is 4! Let him have some fun. Don't punish him by forcing him to be a Twins fan.

Let him grow up a few years so he can use his own common sense, and then you can go to a game together

and he can watch his Tigers.

What the fock, the kid is 4! Let him have some fun. Don't punish him by forcing him to be a Twins fan.

Let him grow up a few years so he can use his own common sense, and then you can go to a game together

and he can watch his Tigers.

:music_guitarred: :pointstosky: :thumbsup:

alsofuckyou :thumbsup:

if u HAVE to take him....

go to the store ahead of time and let him pick out the snacks..and tell him this is what he gets..no snacks at the game..

u can treat him to something at the game for not whining..but chances are, every other inning, he may whine that he wants this and that...try to set rules...

the single gals will think u 2 are adorable and will want to blow you under the big baggy in right....

I'm getting season tickets :music_guitarred:

I agree.

The best thing to do is take him to something made for a 4 year old. Monster trucks, Sesame Street, or Disney show would be a lot cooler to a 4 year old. Even as an adult if your not a real fan baseball can get really boring quick.

my 2.5 yr old loves going to ku basketball games, but that's kind of a different animal. They only last 2 hrs, and there's lots of music and stuff to see and shee can see the jayhawk mascots and stuff.

In hindsight it was ignorant, but I took my daughter to a Royals game when she was 6 days old. I figured it would be easy to find a row that wasnt very crowded but I was wrong, it wasn't much fun. I think she'll ejoy it this year and I'm sure I'll take her down. Taking her down last year she hated the fireworks going off and did get a bit restless. I think you have to expect they may get bored and isinterested over the period of a 3 hr game, but taking your kids going in you have to realize that and you igth have to leave

:music_guitarred:

Every child is different. I took my oldest to an Indians game when he was 4. He loved every minute of it and was never bored. My second son who is now about to turn 4 couldn't possibly handle 9 innings of baseball. It isn't about age. It depends on their personality, maturity, and interest. You know your child best, so if he's into it, go for it. I may need to wait until my youngest turns about 10!!! Even then I am not so sure.

Every child is different. I took my oldest to an Indians game when he was 4. He loved every minute of it and was never bored. My second son who is now about to turn 4 couldn't possibly handle 9 innings of baseball. It isn't about age. It depends on their personality, maturity, and interest. You know your child best, so if he's into it, go for it. I may need to wait until my youngest turns about 10!!! Even then I am not so sure.

:dunno:

Hit the nail on the head. It's all about attention span. My oldest could sit and watch an entire movie, baseball game, whatever and stay pretty well focused on it. My youngest can't focus on any one thing for longer than about 14 seconds. I took the oldest to see Clemens pitch here in Yoo-ston when he was 4 (obviously this was before I knew that Clemens was a cheating, lying focktard and I thought the memory would actually mean something to the little guy). He did pretty well...I kept him interested by pointing out things...the scoreboard, the radar gun reading, the statistics up on the big scoreboard, etc.

If your kid has a pretty good attention span, you should be fine. If he doesn't, it might be a long night. Either way, take the kid to the game...and if you have to leave early and find a Chuck E Cheese or something, it's not the end of the world...you're still having a quality night out with the little guy. It won't be too long before you won't be "cool" anymore and he won't be interested in watching a ball game with the old man. They grow up too fast, bro. Have fun. :headbanger:

too young to go? no way

too young to stay for 9 innings? hell yes

i have taken my 3 year old nephew a few times. just make sure you keep his dip and dots full and get him a glove to catch foul balls

:rolleyes:

That nails it, you have to judge your kid and his level of interest.

If I woulda known so many of you fockers had kids I mighta suggested Dumfok Daycare in the 'rename the geek club' thread.

My girls will be 3 and 4 when we head to the Tigers game in July. I am not expecting to make it all the way through.

My son was 3.5 last summer. I took him to an Cleveland Indians game in the first part of summer. He did prety well staying in our seats and focusing on the game and the experience. Overall, it was a very good day.

About a month later I took him to a Toledo Mud Hens night game in a luxury suite. I also took his 7 year old cousin. This was a much worse experience. They had a lot more room to move around and used it to run. Also, having his cousin there provided more distractions for him to lose focus.