Sign in to follow this  
RLLD

Titans ~ Head Coach Wants to Draft a RB in 2008

Titans coach Jeff Fisher indicated that the team would like to draft a running back in April.

"We've got a guy going into his second year (Chris Henry), a guy going into his third year (LenDale White), then if you had a rookie you'd have a good mix." The Titans would reportedly like an explosive back in the Felix Jones or Chris Johnson mold. Jamaal Charles and Steve Slaton would also fit the bill. Mar. 27 - 10:42 am et

Rink

Interesting, clearly Fisher is admitting having no faith in either Henry or White, and is perhaps letting some teams know that he is willing to trade up if need be.

I can see the Titans perhaps having access to Felix Jones, but its far more likely that they are looking at Kevin Smith, Chris Johnson, Ray Rice and Jamaal Charles.

The Titans visited with Julius Jones before he signed with the Seahawks. They also expressed interest in former Falcon Warrick Dunn, but he signed with the Buccaneers on Monday.

Based on Fisher’s comments, however, it seems the Titans might wait to address the position in the draft.

Ideally the addition would complement White’s power style and offer new offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger a faster, third-down, change-up back capable of turning short passes into yards and first downs.

“There are some limitations, as we speak, in free agency but we are hopeful,” Fisher said. “There are a number of backs that are coming out in this year’s draft that can certainly do that.

“And who knows, we may have that guy in Chris Henry. That’s part of what Earnest is going to set out to do this offseason, to develop Chris because he has the quickness and the breakaway speed.”

Rink

He makes these guys seem like they're in the prime or nearing their prime. :(

I thought these were the years when a RB hits his stride...no pun intended.

He makes these guys seem like they're in the prime or nearing their prime. :(

I think when you are a head coach you talk up your guys to keep their morale high, and you try to minimize the impact of drafting someone right on top of them.

I also think if you have two young running backs and one of them, or the combination of them, works well for you....you don't spring for one in the draft. Clearly Fisher does not view either of them as a long-term answer.

Maybe he's sending a subtle message to Lendale about offseason conditioning. RLLD - I know you were high on Chris Henry last year, and I can't wait to see him with the ball this year instead of Chris Brown. We'll get a little better chance this year to see if your gut feeling is correct.

I still prefer a Malcolm Kelly or Devin Thomas in the 1st round if either are there at 24.

I dont know you would draft a RB early, when the last 2 years you spend first day draft picks on RB's, the move seems kind of lionesque.

I dont know you would draft a RB early, when the last 2 years you spend first day draft picks on RB's, the move seems kind of lionesque.

They need to hire Waldman to do it for them. Save a lot of money and embarrassment.

Thank God Fisher wants a back!! That's the best news I've heard as a football fan all off season :pointstosky:

I hated the last two RB picks. They are so good at picking linemen on either side of the ball, but their skill position picks have left a lot to be desired. I like Vince Young enough to understand this pick, but hated the White, Henry, and WR picks other than Roydell Williams late in 05...

For my favorite team, I'd do it for free!!!

Indeed..

Although, in reading the article, it nowhere stats they are going to do so EARLY necessarily, only that they will look at value and discuss accordingly. More telling is the comment on Henry "he may be here already" (except he can only run fast in a straight line wearing shorts, and can't catch a cold, much less a football).

Value would be Stewart/McFadden/Mendenhall lasting to 1.24 (Stewart looks like he will but not a fit IMO). With much need at WR and D they would be better served drafting there early and maybe getting Steve Slaton in 3rd since he'll fall that far and sounds like the complementary back they are looking to get.

Indeed..

Although, in reading the article, it nowhere stats they are going to do so EARLY necessarily, only that they will look at value and discuss accordingly. More telling is the comment on Henry "he may be here already" (except he can only run fast in a straight line wearing shorts, and can't catch a cold, much less a football).

Value would be Stewart/McFadden/Mendenhall lasting to 1.24 (Stewart looks like he will but not a fit IMO). With much need at WR and D they would be better served drafting there early and maybe getting Steve Slaton in 3rd since he'll fall that far and sounds like the complementary back they are looking to get.

I think it is smart when a team realizes, despite recent draft picks, that they still have a problem. If Chris Brown, Lendale and the Arizona guy are not standing out, The Titans should look at their OL or keep trying until they get a stud.

The only team that doesnt work for is the Lions. :ninja:

Maybe he's sending a subtle message to Lendale about offseason conditioning. RLLD - I know you were high on Chris Henry last year, and I can't wait to see him with the ball this year instead of Chris Brown. We'll get a little better chance this year to see if your gut feeling is correct.

I still prefer a Malcolm Kelly or Devin Thomas in the 1st round if either are there at 24.

Yeah, I am holding Henry in two of my Dynasty leagues in case he amounts to something, but i have to think that if Fisher et al had any inkling that one of their two young backs was truly capable, they would not be going for a RB in round 1 or 2, which it appears they will certainly do. Even if they are misreading these two guys, clearly the two are under the gun and must fight to get the respect as "the guy"....

If the Titans spend another 1st or 2nd on a RB, then they will officially become the Lions of the RB position. That will be 3 straight 1st or 2nd round picks.

As a Titans fan, I hated the Chris Henry pick last season. It was such a waste. I'm confident that if he was their guy they could've watited till the 3rd to get him, or maybe traded up in the 3rd. The value was just not there for me as a 2nd round pick.

I thought Lendale played well last year, and despite his YPC being a little low, he almost never lost yards, and played very tough. Many people forget that Lendale faced 8-9 in the box for most of the season. Hopefully with Heimerdinger back the offense will be opened up a bit and focus on downfield passing, not WR screens. IF Lendale is still the guy, then I could see him having a better season than last.

But he obviously has conditioning issues. I thought he started out the season in poor shape, but as the season wore on he did seem to look better, and he did get better as the game wore on, which is key to any Fisher coached team, who wants to control the clock. You would think his poor start and the knee-jerk reaction of drafting Chris Henry last season would've motivated him to come to camp in better shape. We shall see.

They already have a good RB....he currently plays QB. What they need is a good QB.

Speaking of Lendale, anybody seen him in the new Snoop video?

Don't know when it was filmed, but if Lendale has been getting in shape, it doesn't really show up in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai7ASY3HWCw

It should be at about the 1:16 mark...

I saw him a few weeks ago on the NFL Network. I was concerned that I was watching re-runs of The Biggest Loser. RB's have a short career with the pounding that they take, but his extra weight is not going to help. He might think that he is a Bus in the making, but I have this message for the Whale.... "I have seen Jerome Bettis and you, Sir, are no Bus".

He makes these guys seem like they're in the prime or nearing their prime. :pointstosky:

You're thinking of WRs. RBs, if they get to play in their first year or two and they don't got it, they aren't gonna get it.

You're thinking of WRs. RBs, if they get to play in their first year or two and they don't got it, they aren't gonna get it.

Yup. :pointstosky:

That window is not open long.

This is for the most part, not true. While RB's do progress faster there are alot of factors to take into account. Just look at the guy who has your handle as his initials. TJ was'nt very good early in his career then turned it on later. Other guys...Tiki....etc got some PT early but did'nt turn it on till later in their career.