Sign in to follow this  
IndyTom

Hillary's Chief Strategist Quits

Mark Penn is out as Hillary Clinton's chief strategist.

Penn is a pollster who has guided the campaign's message - and clashed over it with other top campaign officials - since Clinton announced her candidacy more than a year ago. He asked to step down today, according to a press release from campaign manager Maggie Williams.

His exit stems from his decision to meet with leaders of Colombia last week to discuss promoting a free trade agreement between their nation and the United States. Penn took the meeting in his capacity as head of one of Washington's most powerful public relations firms, which the Colombian government hired to push the trade deal in Congress.

Clinton opposes the Colombia pact. Penn apologized on Friday for what he called an "error in judgment" in taking the meeting. That upset Colombian officials, who fired his firm. On Saturday, the campaign promised to provide Penn to the Tribune for an interview, but he never called.

The dust-up appears to have finally knocked Penn from his strategic perch - a move that was rumored as early as January, in the days before the New Hampshire primary; press accounts suggested Clinton's upset victory there helped him hang on. Last month, the Clinton campaign hired Democratic pollster Geoff Garin, president of Peter D. Hart Research Associates. And Penn and Clinton’s communications director, Howard Wolfson, have had a rocky relationship.

Here's the release from the Clinton campaign:

"After the events of the last few days, Mark Penn has asked to give up his role as Chief Strategist of the Clinton Campaign; Mark, and Penn, Schoen and Berland Associates, Inc. will continue to provide polling and advice to the campaign.

"Geoff Garin and Howard Wolfson will coordinate the campaign's strategic message team going forward."

That campaign seems to be in disarray.

:music_guitarred:

Wow, this guy focked up all around. Should have made a decision and stuck with it, instead he gets himself taken out of the campaign AND his firm loses a contract.

That campaign seems to be in disarray.

:overhead:

And yet Obamamamama still cant secure the nomination. :music_guitarred:

And yet Obamamamama still cant secure the nomination. :banana:

Which is 100% reflective of voting Democrats.

Hillasry wins Penn and nothing else ! and she likely just wins that.

Now Obama must brace for the onslaught ! Hillary held back ALOT becasue she couldn't say things against Obama becasue that might hurt her voters as well as his. McCain doesn't have that issue. Expect tons of Rev Wright stuff , Michele stabs , and other things against Obama. McCain other than his dumping his older wife for a upgrade is pretty much as clean as you can be for a person thats been in the senate that long. Not saying he is clean - but as clean as you can expect to be being in Washington that long. This is one reason Senators don't get elected as President often - they often have a long voting record which kills them - the ones that do usually haven't been sentors long - EX. JFK. and not maybe Obama. This is the one thing that can really hurt McCain and something I am certain Obama will exploit. Should be a fight to the finish but I think McCain wins by a narrow margin.

Hillasry wins Penn and nothing else ! and she likely just wins that.

Now Obama must brace for the onslaught ! Hillary held back ALOT becasue she couldn't say things against Obama becasue that might hurt her voters as well as his. McCain doesn't have that issue. Expect tons of Rev Wright stuff , Michele stabs , and other things against Obama. McCain other than his dumping his older wife for a upgrade is pretty much as clean as you can be for a person thats been in the senate that long. Not saying he is clean - but as clean as you can expect to be being in Washington that long. This is one reason Senators don't get elected as President often - they often have a long voting record which kills them - the ones that do usually haven't been sentors long - EX. JFK. and not maybe Obama. This is the one thing that can really hurt McCain and something I am certain Obama will exploit. Should be a fight to the finish but I think McCain wins by a narrow margin.

Three things that I find funny.

1. She even screwed this up, she didn't fire him, just moved him to a small role.

2. Why she ever let this guy within a quarter mile of her campaign. He's 0-13 since 96. I think this is who she must be boning on the side. Nothing else makes sense.

3. Held back, what plaent are you living on?

As for the onslaught, if all the GOP has is a minister and one poorly worded statement that takes interpretation to make negative, McCain is dead. And if you think McCain is clean, you need to read. He makes Kerry the pillar of policy stability. McCain better hope this goes to August, because he's outnumbered, a crappy candidate, and a pretty weak record. He can only fall back on his POW story for so long, and its all he has. McCain sucks and I think he's going to get creamed with todays knowledge of both candidates.

1. She even screwed this up, she didn't fire him, just moved him to a small role.

2. Why she ever let this guy within a quarter mile of her campaign. He's 0-13 since 96. I think this is who she must be boning on the side. Nothing else makes sense.

As for the onslaught, if all the GOP has is a minister and one poorly worded statement that takes interpretation to make negative, McCain is dead. And if you think McCain is clean, you need to read. He makes Kerry the pillar of policy stability. McCain better hope this goes to August, because he's outnumbered, a crappy candidate, and a pretty weak record. He can only fall back on his POW story for so long, and its all he has. McCain sucks and I think he's going to get creamed with todays knowledge of both candidates.

Of course you do. As if this country is going to elect a racist black guy with questionable ties to some of his donors and the most liberal voting history (when he chose to vote) in history. And that's just the beginning. And Bush had no chance either. Just ask Torrid :lol:

Strategerist? :lol:

Of course you do. As if this country is going to elect a racist black guy with questionable ties to some of his donors and the most liberal voting history (when he chose to vote) in history. And that's just the beginning. And Bush had no chance either. Just ask Torrid :lol:

It does help your side when you make it all up. Keep trying.

I'd say the Bush effort is much more inline with the Obama effort. Some shady stuff by nothing in comparison to other guy.

That liberal argument isn't going to work too much longer. Conservatism has been outed as an absolute failure, its put the economy in the crapper, the free market corruption has soured everyone, and the fascist stuff on privacy has outed the GOP like they would have never hoped the common folks to see.

McCain was a big help in all three, combined with the 100 years and the fact that he hates veterans. That it'll be a nice contrast.

You seem to forget the other two things McCain has going for him.

1 - He's a man

2 - He's white

With this he has both Democratic candidates covered. If you think neither makes a difference to American voters you are sadly mistaken.

It does help your side when you make it all up. Keep trying.

I'd say the Bush effort is much more inline with the Obama effort. Some shady stuff by nothing in comparison to other guy.

That liberal argument isn't going to work too much longer. Conservatism has been outed as an absolute failure, its put the economy in the crapper, the free market corruption has soured everyone, and the fascist stuff on privacy has outed the GOP like they would have never hoped the common folks to see.

McCain was a big help in all three, combined with the 100 years and the fact that he hates veterans. That it'll be a nice contrast.

The economy did not go into the crapper until the Democrats took over both houses of Congress. HTH

You seem to forget the other two things McCain has going for him.

1 - He's a man

2 - He's white

With this he has both Democratic candidates covered. If you think neither makes a difference to American voters you are sadly mistaken.

I will concede both arguments. It's my hope that the number on this (22%) is real, but I will readily grant you that Obama and any female candidate will have an additional hurdle and a shorter leash, even though I don't like it.

The economy did not go into the crapper until the Democrats took over both houses of Congress. HTH

OMG :lol:

No one in going to buy that crap. We all KNOW why the economy sucks- its called the GOP. I don't think the 16 months of mixed congress was that impressive.

OMG :lol:

No one in going to buy that crap. We all KNOW why the economy sucks- its called the GOP. I don't think the 16 months of mixed congress was that impressive.

I thought you might like that one ;)

I thought you might like that one :lol:

that was a great fishy. I about came out of my chair. You got an outloud - OMFG...