Sign in to follow this  
Bert

If You Come to Texas and Kill Someone

every person executed in this country was given due process, was convicted and allowed to appeal a BUNCH of times. Sorry bud but the burden of proof is on you to prove an innocent was executed. The proof of their guilt has been shown well beyond a reasonable doubt. It's telling that out of the multitudes that have been executed the best you can come up with is "prove an innocent hasn't been executed" considering what we have to go through to execute a person. I suspect it has more to do with being opposed to the penalty than really believing in their innocence. Much like Jose the other night - he never suggested he wasn't guilty, just that he didn't get the chance to talk to the Mexican consulate.

An innocent person was never executed. Some innocent people have gone to jail with death sentences, but every single one of them was eventually proven innocent and released. :thumbsup:

An innocent person was never executed. Some innocent people have gone to jail with death sentences, but every single one of them was eventually proven innocent and released. :thumbsup:

So, our system worked? :rolleyes:

It did early yesterday morning. :thumbsup:

And, hopefully will again tonight :unsure:

And, hopefully will again tonight :unsure:

And 15 times over the next several months.

The four dissenting justices -- John Paul Stevens, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, David Souter and Stephen Breyer

:thumbsdown: :( :Mr-T:

Court clears way for another immigrant's execution

By MICHAEL GRACZYK – 44 minutes ago

HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) — For the second time this week, the U.S. Supreme Court has denied an appeal from an illegal immigrant facing execution in Texas.

Lawyers for killer Heliberto Chi went to the court Thursday claiming he should have been told he could get legal aid from the Honduran consulate.

He was arrested in California and extradited to Texas to face charges of killing his former boss during a robbery.

The court's decision was unanimous and came less than three hours before the execution was scheduled.

The arguments were similar to those used unsuccessfully Tuesday by lawyers for Jose Medellin. The Mexican immigrant was executed this week for participating in a gang rape and murder of two Houston teens.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gpkdpV0...QkVd5wD92DM4NO3

:pointstosky:

Would you explain why liberals have a problem killing criminals but no problem killing unborn babies?

that is about as sick as sick can get....let's save the murderers and kill innocent unborn babies!!!!! GO BHLs!!!!!

Would you explain why liberals have a problem killing criminals but no problem killing unborn babies?

Why would I try to explain it? I don't agree with abortion. :doublethumbsup:

Sorry bud but the burden of proof is on you to prove an innocent was executed. The proof of their guilt has been shown well beyond a reasonable doubt.

So...there haven't been people jailed for decades and because new technology is invented (ie: DNA tests) the guy is finally released?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2...ison_after.html

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2003/06/10/350/60370

and here dumbfock

Wrongful Executions

So if one of those people was proven to be innocent their conviction would have been overturned, if only posthumously. Link?

You're link has been provided....now go start Wrongful Executed Family fund.

You're link has been provided....now go start Wrongful Executed Family fund.

None of your links proves that an innocent person has ever been executed. At best, it's people suggesting it happened. Defense attorneys do that all the time and I don't listen to them either. But Heliberto Chi's attorney is different. He admits his client is guilty of murder. So I guess we're on the same page then that he should be executed.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

None of your links proves that an innocent person has ever been executed. At best, it's people suggesting it happened. Defense attorneys do that all the time and I don't listen to them either. But Heliberto Chi's attorney is different. He admits his client is guilty of murder. So I guess we're on the same page then that he should be executed.

:headbanger: :banana: :banana:

209 people have been exonerated because of DNA testing since it began. Are you seriously contending not ONE innocent person was executed prior to the invention of DNA technology?

209 people have been exonerated because of DNA testing since it began. Are you seriously contending not ONE innocent person was executed prior to the invention of DNA technology?

None has been proven, by you or anyone else.

Don't you think if someone could have proven such the anti-capital punishment zealots would be all over the news with it? Wonder why none of them has.

Wiki is the best ya got?

Seriously?

Decided against some lib-lam think tank link because even asshat, even you, can manipulate Wiki.

None has been proven, by you or anyone else.

Don't you think if someone could have proven such the anti-capital punishment zealots would be all over the news with it? Wonder why none of them has.

218 inmates have been released from prison because of DNA testing. The proof is in the pudding. Again...prior to DNA testing you're contending not one innocent person has been put to death?

Facts on Post-Conviction DNA Exonerations

There have been 218 post-conviction DNA exonerations in the United States.

• The first DNA exoneration took place in 1989. Exonerations have been won in 32 states; since 2000, there have been 154 exonerations.

• 16 of the 218 people exonerated through DNA served time on death row.

• The average length of time served by exonerees is 12 years. The total number of years served is approximately 2,694.

• The average age of exonerees at the time of their wrongful convictions was 26.

Races of the 218 exonerees:

134 African Americans

59 Caucasians

19 Latinos

1 Asian American

5 whose race is unknown

• The true suspects and/or perpetrators have been identified in 84 of the DNA exoneration cases.

• Since 1989, there have been tens of thousands of cases where prime suspects were identified and pursued—until DNA testing (prior to conviction) proved that they were wrongly accused.

• In more than 25 percent of cases in a National Institute of Justice study, suspects were excluded once DNA testing was conducted during the criminal investigation (the study, conducted in 1995, included 10,060 cases where testing was performed by FBI labs).

• About half of the people exonerated through DNA testing have been financially compensated. 25 states, the federal government, and the District of Columbia have passed laws to compensate people who were wrongfully incarcerated. Awards under these statutes vary from state to state.

• 33 percent of cases closed by the Innocence Project were closed because of lost or missing evidence.

Leading Causes of Wrongful Convictions

These DNA exoneration cases have provided irrefutable proof that wrongful convictions are not isolated or rare events, but arise from systemic defects that can be precisely identified and addressed. For more than 15 years, the Innocence Project has worked to pinpoint these trends.

Eyewitness misidentification testimony was a factor in 77 percent of post-conviction DNA exoneration cases in the U.S., making it the leading cause of these wrongful convictions. Of that 77 percent, 48 percent of cases where race is known involved cross-racial eyewitness identification. Studies have shown that people are less able to recognize faces of a different race than their own. These suggested reforms are embraced by leading criminal justice organizations and have been adopted in the states of New Jersey and North Carolina, large cities like Minneapolis and Seattle, and many smaller jurisdictions.

Limited, unreliable or fraudulent forensic science has played a role in 65 percent of wrongful convictions.

In over half of DNA exonerations, the misapplication of forensic disciplines—such as blood type testing, hair analysis, fingerprint analysis, bite mark analysis, and more—has played a role in convicting the innocent. In some cases, forensic scientists and prosecutors presented fraudulent, exaggerated, or otherwise tainted evidence to the judge or jury which led to the wrongful conviction. Three cases have even involved erroneous testimony about DNA test results.

False confessions and incriminating statements lead to wrongful convictions in 25 percent of cases. More than 500 jurisdictions now record interrogations to prevent false confessions.

False confessions are another leading cause of wrongful convictions. Twenty-five percent of cases involve a false confession or incriminating statement made by the defendant. In 35 percent of those cases, the defendant was 18 years old or younger and/or developmentally disabled. The Innocence Project encourages police departments to electronically record all custodial interrogations in their entirety in order to prevent coercion and to provide an accurate record of the proceedings. More than 500 jurisdictions have voluntarily adopted policies to record interrogations. State supreme courts have taken action in Alaska, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and Wisconsin. Illinois, Maine, New Mexico, and the District of Columbia require the taping of interrogations in homicide cases.

Snitches contributed to wrongful convictions in 15 percent of cases.

Another principal factor in wrongful convictions is the use of snitches, or jailhouse informants. Whenever snitch testimony is used, the Innocence Project recommends that the judge instruct the jury that most snitch testimony is unreliable as it may be offered in return for deals, special treatment, or the dropping of charges. Prosecutors should also reveal any incentive the snitch might receive, and all communication between prosecutors and snitches should be recorded. Fifteen percent of wrongful convictions that were later overturned by DNA testing were caused in part by snitch testimony.

218 inmates have been released from prison because of DNA testing. The proof is in the pudding. Again...prior to DNA testing you're contending not one innocent person has been put to death?

I'm saying it hasn't been proven. A little thick aren't ya?

For a minute I forgot who I was dealing with. I'm done with you.:headbanger:

:dunno:

Texas justice rules. We come close to Texas justice here in Oklahoma as well. Fock the liberal East and West coast pvssies with their overcrowded prisons and gay pride marches.

Yah because executing people is such a Christian thing to do. You idiots are so flawed in your thinking.

Yah because executing people is such a Christian thing to do. You idiots are so flawed in your thinking.

Yeah, it's not like the bible said "eye for an eye"....Oh wait.... :dunno:

Why did you conveniently ignore my question about Heliberto Chi? His lawyer admits he's guilty. So, your argument about innocence is irrelevant in this case. Are you ok with this execution or not? It's a simple question but I guess if it doesn't fit your agenda so you just ignore questions.

Not really up on your bible studies are ya?

Yep, we are flawed.......it's the libs with their anti-capital punishment for murderers, pro-abortion of innocent children that have their head on straight. :cry: :unsure: :)

Yeah, it's not like the bible said "eye for an eye"....Oh wait.... :)

and you actually believe that! the how very civilized of you.

The bible also says that Noah got two of EVERY animal on the ENTIRE planet and put them on a boat! Not to mention, according to the bible the planet is approximately 10,000 years old. Screw carbon dating right? You guys should seriously quit while you're ahead. You believe in some focked up crap, but that's alright. Not everyone is blessed (no pun intended) with cognitive thought. :unsure:

Not really up on your bible studies are ya?

Yep, we are flawed.......it's the libs with their anti-capital punishment for murderers, pro-abortion of innocent children that have their head on straight. :cry: :unsure: :)

Not a big fan of fictional reading.

And what does being liberal have to do with believing in god? So I don't believe in capital punishment. I believe an eye for an eye is ignorant and barbaric. I believe it costs more to execute somebody, than to let them rot in prison. I believe giving somebody the death sentence is giving them the easy way out. I believe we've come farther as a modern society than to kill the mentally ill.

Not to mention, according to the bible the planet is approximately 10,000 years old. Screw carbon dating right? You guys should seriously quit while you're ahead. You believe in some focked up crap, but that's alright. Not everyone is blessed (no pun intended) with cognitive thought. :)

I see you havn't been studying since your last post.

2 Peter 3:8

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

You do the math.

I see you havn't been studying since your last post.

2 Peter 3:8

You do the math.

Like I said, I don't read fiction. I'm not afraid of death. You would think we've evolved enough as a species to understand science. Some of you are a few centuries behind still.

And what does being liberal have to do with believing in god?

Never said a thing about liberal/God. The point I'm making is that the people against capital punishment are overwhelmingly libs, and those same people are overwhelmingly pro-abortion.

Sorry if I'm going too fast for ya.

Like I said, I don't read fiction. I'm not afraid of death. You would think we've evolved enough as a species to understand science. Some of you are a few centuries behind still.

Glad to see you admit you don't actually read what you claim to be an expert on. No need to be informed is there?

Glad to see you admit you don't actually read what you claim to be an expert on. No need to be informed is there?

That doesn't make any sense anyways. That's like multiplying 0x0. So a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like day. A day is a day then right? Maybe I need to go round up a few dinosaur fossils while I think this over.

That doesn't make any sense anyways. That's like multiplying 0x0. So a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like day. A day is a day then right? Maybe I need to go round up a few dinosaur fossils while I think this over.

Keep digging. :)

Keep digging. :doublethumbsup:

I love how you conveniently leave out the rest of the verse too.

‘But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.’

This has absolutely nothing to do with the actual days of creation. This verse is about being patient while waiting for god to fulfill his promises. This is where you should have pulled out the "don't take everything in the bible literally" spiel. I know how you guys love to use that line to explain everything in the bible that defies logic. At the same time I understand and feel for you. I don't expect a book written by a bunch of guys, who for the most part never met Jesus (or even lived in the same century for that matter), to make a ton of sense.

You want to know why the bible says "an eye for an eye"? Because the people in power wrote the bible to scare people into behaving. We didn't have super max prisons and cops on patrol. What better way to control the uneducated than eternal damnation!

I love how you conveniently leave out the rest of the verse too.

‘But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.’

This has absolutely nothing to do with the actual days of creation. This verse is about being patient while waiting for god to fulfill his promises. This is where you should have pulled out the "don't take everything in the bible literally" spiel. I know how you guys love to use that line to explain everything in the bible that defies logic. At the same time I understand and feel for you. I don't expect a book written by a bunch of guys, who for the most part never met Jesus (or even lived in the same century for that matter), to make a ton of sense.

You want to know why the bible says "an eye for an eye"? Because the people in power wrote the bible to scare people into behaving. We didn't have super max prisons and cops on patrol. What better way to control the uneducated than eternal damnation!

Yep. Yer a Biblical Scholar. :doublethumbsup: :lol: :lol:

Yep. Yer a Biblical Scholar. :doublethumbsup: :lol: :lol:

Oh is this where you stop trying to have a mature discussion, and move on to the LOL? Out of ideas are you?

You're right, killing unborn fetuses earns you a ticket to hell. Killing people who killed other people is dandy. Unless of course you accept god after you kill somebody. In that case you go to heaven, but the guy who executed you goes to hell. Unless he repents after every person he executes, making it ok again. He doesn't get executed for executing you, because he's just doing his job (which just happens to be killing people).

I totally understand now. Thanks for the clarification. Have a good one.

Fock em. I personally wouldnt kill them myself unless I witnessed the act while it occured but I commend Texas for givin em what they deserve :wall:

I'm saying it hasn't been proven. A little thick aren't ya?

Right...I forgot...you have no problem killing innocent people, like our troops over in Iraq or unborn fetuses. You're the guy who preaches gloom and doom, disrespects our soldiers, and refuses to wear the uniform.

Loser.

Why did you conveniently ignore my question about Heliberto Chi? His lawyer admits he's guilty. So, your argument about innocence is irrelevant in this case. Are you ok with this execution or not? It's a simple question but I guess if it doesn't fit your agenda so you just ignore questions.

We should never lose sight of the fact that the question isn't whether or not a defendant is, in fact, guilty. The question is whether the legal evidence produced by the prosecution proves him guilty beyond all reasonable doubt.

That rule probably lets many guilty persons go free. Even with the benefit of that rule, however, innocent persons are at times found guilty.

That rule was formulated by the persons who framed our Constitution. It is a rule, formulated for the benefit of the citizen. If it weren't for that rule, many more guilty persons would be convicted, BUT many, many more innocent persons would also be convicted.

You and I would be at the mercy of almost any unscrupulous enemy who wanted to charge us with a crime.

A lawyer's first duty is to see that the client receives the benefit of all the rights the law affords. The lawyer must not do anything which might jeopardize the client's interest.

A lawyer has a duty to conduct cases so that they will be decided on their merits.

By the oath of admission to practice, a lawyer is sworn to uphold the Constitution and laws and render the highest fidelity toward the rights of the client.

Just as your communications with your minister and doctor are confidential, so are your communications with your lawyer. Your lawyer is prevented by law from disclosing any information communicated to him or her by you.

Most importantly, the lawyer's principal duty is to see that the client is given the benefit of all his or her legal rights. Your lawyer has a duty to conduct cases in an orderly manner. Your lawyer may not make any agreements nor incur any obligations which might jeopardize your interests.

Looks like you just made a case for him to walk. :wall:

http://www.sdbar.org/pamphlets/lawyers.shtm