Sign in to follow this  
martyj13

Santonio Holmes or Calvin Johnson?

I have the 4th pick in the 5th round of a keep 4 league. This is the last year of the league, so this year is basically a redraft. I'm most likely going WR with the pick and will most likely have to choose between these two. I was leaning towards Johnson, but now I'm not sure. I figure they both should put up similar numbers this year, but I like Johnson since his ceiling seems to be higher. Tough call.

Just got done drafting and these 2 were there as I suspected. I went with my gut and took Johnson. I love the ceiling this guy has. I'm sure Holmes will have another solid year and will be a good WR for a long time, but Calvin looks like a man among boys at times. I guess guilt may have gotten to me because I took Roethlisberger with my next pick. :pointstosky:

ETA: Holmes went 2 picks later.

I'm just glad I don't have to make a choice between the two. I have them both on my team. So I hope all you guys with high projections for Holmes are right and hope Calvin remains a beast. :overhead:

calvin.

not even remotely close.

are you kidding?

what are the people in this thread smoking?

I agree. People are overthinking this, with all this opportunity, martz, run v. pass distribution stuff. The simple fact is that Calvin Johnson is a VASTLY superior athlete, and as a bonus, has a great work ethic.

And anyone who really thinks the detroit lions are going to become a grind it out power running team with that roster is smoking the jollyrock.

Johnson, pulling away.

as I posted in another thread......

ssshhhhhh :wacko:

In terms of ability (not situation)........ C.Johnson = R.Moss >>>>> T.O = A.Johnson = B.Edwards = Fitz >> R.Wayne = ch.johnson, s.smith, etc.

sshhhh :thumbsup:

I'll take CJ please.

We just saw Holmes' best last year in the Pitt offense but CJ will become a stud WR starting this year.

Calvin is the illegitimate lovechild of Randy Moss and Terrell Owens...Randy's height and speed, Owens physicality...great part is that he's all business and no showboat...and never been in trouble as far as I know. Again, I like Holmes a lot, but this one isn't even close IMO. Again, Calvin can match any #'s put up by Holmes in receptions and yards, but had the potential to DOUBLE whatever Holmes puts up in the TD category...he's that good.

I'll take CJ please.

We just saw Holmes' best last year in the Pitt offense but CJ will become a stud WR starting this year.

Holmes' best? I think not. So many of you are underestimating the impact of having a top-notch QB like Big Ben and a journeyman like Kitna. Am I saying that Holmes has the physical tools that Johnson does? Hell no. Am I saying that he'll put up better stats this year. Hell yes.

This is a great thread.

What we've really accomplished here is to say that it's a toss up for this year (although I'd take Calvin) and an edge to Johnson in the long run. It could be that we are looking at two perennial pro bowlers just getting started. Wouldn't shock me at all.

For all of the people who got them both along with other great players...you need to find a tougher league.

Holmes' best? I think not. So many of you are underestimating the impact of having a top-notch QB like Big Ben and a journeyman like Kitna. Am I saying that Holmes has the physical tools that Johnson does? Hell no. Am I saying that he'll put up better stats this year. Hell yes.

1000 and 8 td's is going to be the norm for Santana every year in Pitt, and that's pretty damn good for a Steeler WR.

Calvin Johnson's ceiling is so much higher than Holmes this year and beyond, it's crazy. Even with journeyman Kitna.

I think you undervaluing Calvin, what is Kitnas value??? Once upon a time there was a sure thing, top 3 QB named Dante Culpepper... He thrived with a dominant WR and then one day that dominant WR left, now that top 3 QB isnt even in the league. Would I rather have Ben throwing the ball to Calvin, yes... but that doesnt change the value very much when your skill level is that much greater then the DB covering you.

Lol, this thread is quite humorous. We'll all have to sit back and enjoy the season and see who is justified in the end. I'll be watching every possible game that I can. Living in Alaska(born and raised in the Pittsburgh area), I had no choice but to get the NFL Sunday Ticket Super Fan package and I can't wait to put it to use.

Is there such thing as "most uninformed post of the year" award? If so I nominate you, do I have someone to second that motion?

Looks like there are a lot of "most uninformed post of the year" folks.

also Reggie Williams who should play good once back from his injury

:pointstosky: :huh: :lol: That guy is worthless and I am shocked anyone would even have him on their roster.

:pointstosky: :huh: :lol: That guy is worthless and I am shocked anyone would even have him on their roster.

11 TD's last year? He is a wash?

11 TD's last year? He is a wash?

10 TD's on 38 receptions. Yes, unless it's a non PPR league.

I agree. People are overthinking this, with all this opportunity, martz, run v. pass distribution stuff. The simple fact is that Calvin Johnson is a VASTLY superior athlete, and as a bonus, has a great work ethic.

And anyone who really thinks the detroit lions are going to become a grind it out power running team with that roster is smoking the jollyrock.

Johnson, pulling away.

if two guys are fairly close on the draft board, i'll usually give the nod to the one with the most upside and overall abilities.

and that's cj, not even close.

1000 and 8 td's is going to be the norm for Santana every year in Pitt, and that's pretty damn good for a Steeler WR.

Calvin Johnson's ceiling is so much higher than Holmes this year and beyond, it's crazy. Even with journeyman Kitna.

bingo. i nominate this as the best post of the thread. that is a great way to put it.

it doesn't have to be out bad-mouthing one guy or the other...we're debating the various degrees of "good" here.