Sign in to follow this  
Voice_Of_Reason

So, Rattlesnake, what you going to do now?

I didn't hear much of McCains speach. I was in the car coming home from a night out with the family. I heard McCain say "we will help out the good teachers, and help bad teachers find another line of work"

Something to that effect.

Will you miss your summers off Rattlesnake? :unsure:

:wub:

:shocking:

I somehow knew this would be the purpose of this thread. :thumbsup:

Honestly, I'd say he's a probably a pretty solid teacher. He's young, obviously passionate about it, likely knows his stuff, and as long as he drops the attitude and a-hole qualities he displays here, probably conveys his subject in a pretty effective manner.

I laughed at the thread though. :thumbsup:

Honestly, I'd say he's a probably a pretty solid teacher. He's young, obviously passionate about it, likely knows his stuff, and as long as he drops the attitude and a-hole qualities he displays here, probably conveys his subject in a pretty effective manner.

I laughed at the thread though. :thumbsup:

:huh: :unsure: :unsure:

:unsure: :thumbsup: :unsure:

He seems to research the hell out of Obama and things of the sort, so I figure with the way he's obviously very enthusiastic about teaching, he probably knows his subject matter and prepares pretty well. I don't care for him politically or the way he acts around here, but that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't good at what he does. I'd rather have a young asshole that teaches me something than a nice old dude who's just waiting on death and retirement.

:unsure: :thumbsup: :unsure:

McCain said something about retraining him. So I am guessing he'll be retrained as one of those guys who fetch the golf balls on the driving ranges.

:huh:

He seems to research the hell out of Obama and things of the sort, so I figure with the way he's obviously very enthusiastic about teaching, he probably knows his subject matter and prepares pretty well. I don't care for him politically or the way he acts around here, but that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't good at what he does. I'd rather have a young asshole that teaches me something than a nice old dude who's just waiting on death and retirement.

coughmccaincough

But then it'd be President Palin. And then she could give us the state of her union.

I sure hope so. Maybe the next time he comes here he can answer this simple Obama question I posed last night:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=321753

I'm truly confused about that and need an Obama supporter to explain it to me.

He seems to research the hell out of Obama and things of the sort,

It's because he's a hardcore Democrat who somehow claims he's objective and unbiased.

But then it'd be President Palin. And then she could give us the state of her union undressed.

fixed

I didn't hear much of McCains speach. I was in the car coming home from a night out with the family. I heard McCain say "we will help out the good teachers, and help bad teachers find another line of work"

Something to that effect.

Will you miss your summers off Rattlesnake? :P

:rolleyes:

:lol:

Well, as a former teacher-of-the-year and the person who has grown the largest elective study program/courses in our corporation, I think I'll be fine. I appreciate your concern, however. If you think it bothers me to have some people on an internet chat forum make statements like this, you'd be wrong. I worry about my students and the people I work with everyday, and I'm pretty certain that I'm in good standing with them. It does bother me that this is the general attitude towards education, however. This is what happens when you have a society that doesn't always require education to succeed, so it's not very surprising.

McCain's problem, obviously, is that he wants to use student achievement to determine the status of teachers. There are far too many extraneous variables for this kind of system to be accurate, but McCain doesn't get that. Most people outside of education don't. Those who do typically don't mention it because that would be the same as admitting that our society doesn't know how to parent and that its values are in the toilet. Most people aren't ready to do that. Sure, there are bad teachers, no question. Many of them are of the older variety and they were only taught in traditional (lecture) style methods. Most people have no idea what teachers nowadays have to do in order to get licensed and then maintain it. For the record, for the 100th time, I think that's a good thing. You should have to be really good to be a teacher. If it were all about the money, leeches like some of you here would get into the business strictly for the cash and if you think that our scores are bad now.........holy crap. Take the real teachers out of the room, then watch what happens. Respectable salary is necessary and lacking, but I'd never want it to get too insane.

We've had the teacher/education talk here before, so it's pointless for me to lay out this entire case again. Some get it, some don't. Some of you have complete contempt for educaton and don't understand the system, or the problems we face, at all. Plus, it's awfully easy to point the finger at teachers and blame us for the fact that your kids grew up without any educational leadership at home, so I'm sure that's comforting for many.

Of course my politics stay out of the classroom. First of all, I teach Advanced Placement Psychology and Psychology. We talk about politics in the field, but not general politics. That would be pointless. Secondly, as far as questioning what I know about the subject, I majored in Psych (education) and am currently obtaining my Master's in Psych. I feel like I know the material. :rolleyes:

As far as the asshole comments..... :lol: My kids and I get along great. We do really challenging/abstract stuff, but we also have a lot of fun. I treat them with respect, like the juniors/seniors that they are, and they reciprocate that.

Some of you are real winners. Just because I vent about politics on a message board.......that means that I go into my classroom and act like that towards my students?!?!? You people are frigging strangers. This is a message board. It's fun to vent about shit, and half of the fun is to see the reactions. Good grief.

It's because he's a hardcore Democrat who somehow claims he's objective and unbiased.

Explain my disdain for the likes of Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, and Dennis Kucinich to me, then. :rolleyes:

Obama is the first person I've ever voted FOR in an election. In the past, I've either not voted, or voted against someone (like Bush). Just because I'm voting for a Democrat now doesn't mean I'm a card-carrier. The logic just doesn't fly, sorry.

I sure hope so. Maybe the next time he comes here he can answer this simple Obama question I posed last night:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=321753

I'm truly confused about that and need an Obama supporter to explain it to me.

I didn't see this. Considering that I'm typically gone from 5:30-5:00 or 5:30 and that I'm also taking 2 graduate classes right now, one of them that puts me home at 11:00 on Wednesday nights, my schedule's a little bit crazy. Plus, I have three young children that I spend as much of my free time with as possible. If you'll notice, my time on here is almost always later in the evenings or early in the mornings, or very briefly on weekends. Checking in here isn't exactly first priority. Like I've said before, I have one of those jobs that requires me to, you know, work during the day. :rolleyes:

About your questions, I don't really understand what you are asking. If I'm reading it right, it seems like you're implying that 40% of the population pays no federal income tax. I'll check in again at some point this weekend to see what your response is.

Just so you know, since apparently you felt like I was ducking you ( :lol: ).......we have my daughter's 1st birthday party tonight with my wife's family, then another one with mine tomorrow, and then Sunday I plan on working on stuff for grad school for pretty much the entire day. So if I don't come back right away, don't get your panties in a bunch.

I didn't see this. Considering that I'm typically gone from 5:30-5:00 or 5:30 and that I'm also taking 2 graduate classes right now, one of them that puts me home at 11:00 on Wednesday nights, my schedule's a little bit crazy. Plus, I have three young children that I spend as much of my free time with as possible. If you'll notice, my time on here is almost always later in the evenings or early in the mornings, or very briefly on weekends. Checking in here isn't exactly first priority. Like I've said before, I have one of those jobs that requires me to, you know, work during the day. :thumbsup:

About your questions, I don't really understand what you are asking. If I'm reading it right, it seems like you're implying that 40% of the population pays no federal income tax. I'll check in again at some point this weekend to see what your response is.

Just so you know, since apparently you felt like I was ducking you ( :unsure: ).......we have my daughter's 1st birthday party tonight with my wife's family, then another one with mine tomorrow, and then Sunday I plan on working on stuff for grad school for pretty much the entire day. So if I don't come back right away, don't get your panties in a bunch.

Where did I say I thought you were ducking me? I was fully aware that you hadn't been on the bored all day. My options were to bump the original thread or post a link to it here so I posted a link to it here. And no, I'm not implying that 40% of the population pays no federal income tax. I'm stating it as fact. I look forward to your explanation.

Where did I say I thought you were ducking me? I was fully aware that you hadn't been on the bored all day. My options were to bump the original thread or post a link to it here so I posted a link to it here. And no, I'm not implying that 40% of the population pays no federal income tax. I'm stating it as fact. I look forward to your explanation.

Obama could still reduce taxes on 95% of the population. Income taxes are not the only federal taxes. Not that I believe that Obama will do that. Just a typical promise to be broken. Not a very realistic promise either.

Well, as a former teacher-of-the-year and the person who has grown the largest elective study program/courses in our corporation, I think I'll be fine. I appreciate your concern, however. If you think it bothers me to have some people on an internet chat forum make statements like this, you'd be wrong. I worry about my students and the people I work with everyday, and I'm pretty certain that I'm in good standing with them. It does bother me that this is the general attitude towards education, however. This is what happens when you have a society that doesn't always require education to succeed, so it's not very surprising.

McCain's problem, obviously, is that he wants to use student achievement to determine the status of teachers. There are far too many extraneous variables for this kind of system to be accurate, but McCain doesn't get that. Most people outside of education don't. Those who do typically don't mention it because that would be the same as admitting that our society doesn't know how to parent and that its values are in the toilet. Most people aren't ready to do that. Sure, there are bad teachers, no question. Many of them are of the older variety and they were only taught in traditional (lecture) style methods. Most people have no idea what teachers nowadays have to do in order to get licensed and then maintain it. For the record, for the 100th time, I think that's a good thing. You should have to be really good to be a teacher. If it were all about the money, leeches like some of you here would get into the business strictly for the cash and if you think that our scores are bad now.........holy crap. Take the real teachers out of the room, then watch what happens. Respectable salary is necessary and lacking, but I'd never want it to get too insane.

We've had the teacher/education talk here before, so it's pointless for me to lay out this entire case again. Some get it, some don't. Some of you have complete contempt for educaton and don't understand the system, or the problems we face, at all. Plus, it's awfully easy to point the finger at teachers and blame us for the fact that your kids grew up without any educational leadership at home, so I'm sure that's comforting for many.

Let me say 1st of all, the whole thread was in jest. But like any political thread, took a turn away from comedy. But what you said above wreeks of elitism. The statement that "some get it and some don't" basically tells me you think you've got all the answers and knows what's best for the rest of us. Coming from one who has two kids in school. Nothing is more important to me than my childrens education.

If you think those of us who disagree with your assesment "don't get it". Then it is you who truly doesn't get it. ;)

Let me say 1st of all, the whole thread was in jest. But like any political thread, took a turn away from comedy. But what you said above wreeks of elitism. The statement that "some get it and some don't" basically tells me you think you've got all the answers and knows what's best for the rest of us. Coming from one who has two kids in school. Nothing is more important to me than my childrens education.

If you think those of us who disagree with your assesment "don't get it". Then it is you who truly doesn't get it. ;)

POW!!!

McCain's problem, obviously, is that he wants to use student achievement to determine the status of teachers.

Yeah, that would be like judging a surgeon by his patient survival rate........or a chef by how good his food tastes.............or a pilot by how often he doesn't drive the plane into the ground...........or by how well a nascar driver turns left........

Yeah, that would be like judging a surgeon by his patient survival rate........or a chef by how good his food tastes.............or a pilot by how often he doesn't drive the plane into the ground...........or by how well a nascar driver turns left........

Not really. There are many variables that go into student achievement. Parents, Friends, drug use, giving a fock, and just plain ability. Teacher skill or ability is just one part of the equation.