Sign in to follow this  
thetxstang

Palin tapped travel allowance at home shows she claimed the per diem allowance

Overall, Palin's travel spending pales in comparison with that of predecessor Frank Murkowski, who charged $463,000 for air fare in 2006. Palin charged $93,000 in 2007.

Yeah, I don't really see this hurting her. But keep on trucking buddy :overhead:

So if she commits manslaughter, we should let her go free because her predecessor committed murder? :overhead:

So if she commits manslaughter, we should let her go free because her predecessor committed murder? :overhead:

Excellent analogy!

Man, that's quite a reach. Congrats.

Obviously not. But if the state of Alaska doesn't have a problem with her per diem submissions, and she's spending a huge amount less than the guy she replaced, so it's not an issue for me. It's not like she hid

it. Seriously, some people are really grasping at straws trying to find stuff on her. It's quite sad actually. There's plenty of legitimate stuff to discuss relating to her candidacy. Crap like this is like the boy who cried wolf and just makes me disregard pretty much all of it, whether it's legit or not.

Really, does anyone even know if 93k in year is a lot for a Governor's travel expense? What's the average?

I bet she spent less than Spitzer. :overhead:

Oh wow....really stretching here aren't ya? Keep digging though. Man they must have a freaking army up there in alaska looking for ANYTHING they can find. To me, the highlight of this article is she spent a whole lot less than her predecessor...

Obviously not. But if the state of Alaska doesn't have a problem with her per diem submissions, and she's spending a huge amount less than the guy she replaced, so it's not an issue for me. It's not like she hid

it. Seriously, some people are really grasping at straws trying to find stuff on her. It's quite sad actually. There's plenty of legitimate stuff to discuss relating to her candidacy. Crap like this is like the boy who cried wolf and just makes me disregard pretty much all of it, whether it's legit or not.

Clearly she made improvements, and for that she should definitely be commended. I just don't think that the argument that she is "less corrupt" that the last guy should trump the argument that she is "corrupt" (if she is...I don't really know that she is and the article doesn't really draw any conclusions one way or the other).

How is stealing tax payer money not legitimate? Just because she did not get in trouble for this does not mean it was right. If any normal govt employee claimed per diem and they were not on travel they would be fired. It talks directly to her being a reformer etc.

She isn't as bad as the other guy is not an excuse.

The article's leaving out a few details.

It says she moved to Juneau, but often stays in Wasilla. Does she have a second house there, or does she stay in hotels?

What does the allowance cover? Gas money? Car depreciation?

This isn't a huge, huge issue, but does expose more politics as usual.

I love the rationalization that because Plain spent "less than the guy she replaced," her taking advantage of gubmint taxpayers funds should be overlooked.

And links to "Alaska doesn't have a problem with her per diem submissions," and "It's not like she hid

it."?

More fodder from the article:

Palin's spending and record in office are coming under intense scrutiny as she is presented to the nation as a champion of ethics reform and frugal use of tax dollars — a leader who put the state jet on sale on eBay and drives herself to work.

How is stealing tax payer money not legitimate? Just because she did not get in trouble for this does not mean it was right. If any normal govt employee claimed per diem and they were not on travel they would be fired. It talks directly to her being a reformer etc.

Stealing is a criminal offense. If she in any way stole taxpayer's money she should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Look, you're welcome to consider this as you decide who to vote for. It's a non issue for me and all I'm saying is it's this type of crap thread that pushes people away from serious discussion of VALID issues that exist and are worth discussing.

:overhead:

To me, the highlight of this article is she spent a whole lot less than her predecessor...

Yeah, Plain's abuse of gubmint funds should be negated since her predecessor was less spend-thrifty.

Stealing is a criminal offense. If she in any way stole taxpayer's money she should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Look, you're welcome to consider this as you decide who to vote for. It's a non issue for me and all I'm saying is it's this type of crap thread that pushes people away from serious discussion of VALID issues that exist and are worth discussing.

<_< :thumbsup:

Yeah, Plain's abuse of gubmint funds should be negated since her predecessor was less spend-thrifty.

Where's the proof of abuse?

Per diem payments are meant for meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business. State officials told The Post her claims — nearly $17,000 over 19 months — were permitted because her "duty station" is Juneau, the capital, and she was in Wasilla 600 miles away. The governor moved to Juneau last year but often stays in Wasilla and works 45 miles away, in a state office in Anchorage.

She lives in Juneau...its her official station. Its an allowable cost by the State and pretty much well, any state.

If you live and work officially in one city...and travel to another for business purposes...you can get the per diem.

Calling it stealing state funds is just complete BS.

You all are really reaching here.

Its getting disgusting.

Oh wow....really stretching here aren't ya? Keep digging though. Man they must have a freaking army up there in alaska looking for ANYTHING they can find. To me, the highlight of this article is she spent a whole lot less than her predecessor...

I am guessing that you preferred Bill Clinton to Reagan/Bush I?

She lives in Juneau...its her official station. Its an allowable cost by the State and pretty much well, any state.

If you live and work officially in one city...and travel to another for business purposes...you can get the per diem.

Calling it stealing state funds is just complete BS.

You all are really reaching here.

Its getting disgusting.

She was not travelling to Wasilla for business she was travelling because that is where her house is located. Most govt employees do not get per diem when they are working at their main office no matter where they live. Per diem is for business travel. Working from your main location is not considered busines travel. This is all true of federal per diem rules. It is possible they have different rules for state in Alaska but Idoubt it.

Where's the proof of abuse?

Are you serious?

Personally, here's my favorite (though relatively insignificant):

Palin took her daughter Bristol to New York in October for a conference on women and leadership, a tour of the New York Stock Exchange and various meetings, the analysis shows. Travel costs included three nights in a hotel room costing more than $700 a night.

I realize it's New York city, but c'mon... $700 bones a night for a hotel room? Did she need to stay at the Waldorf Astoria?

Geez, set a positive example and stay in a hotel room the average Alaskan could afford if visiting NYC. Isn't she all about budget reforms and sh!t?

I am guessing that you preferred Bill Clinton to Reagan/Bush I?

No. I think Clinton was a good President though. I definately prefer him to GWB.

Again, she did NOTHING illegal. If you want to nitpick every little thing she did, then fine. But this is a nonissue. Again, nothing illegal, cut spending from her predecessor, got rid of her personal chef, plane, etc. dead issue.

It's just funny how the media is trying anything they can. Maybe they're tryig the whole quantity vs quality in their "scandal" reporting.

Just today I have read or watched:

She is from a lunatic church

She fired an assistant because he was having an affair with her friends wife

She "stole" money from the taxpayers for per-diem

Her "secret" emails

Can't wait to wake up tomorrow and find out what other non-issues they'll dig up

She was not travelling to Wasilla for business she was travelling because that is where her house is located. Most govt employees do not get per diem when they are working at their main office no matter where they live. Per diem is for business travel. Working from your main location is not considered busines travel. This is all true of federal per diem rules. It is possible they have different rules for state in Alaska but Idoubt it.

Umm...really, it says she was not doing business?

She moved to Juneau...her official station is in Juneau.

Therefore, if workin in Wasilla, she gets a per diem. Its pretty straightforward.

Wasilla is not her main office. Her main office is Juneau. Thats the point.

Can't wait to wake up tomorrow and find out what other non-issues they'll dig up

Fear not. More are to come. I'll try to post a couple of more tomorrow. <_<

Are you serious?

Personally, here's my favorite (though relatively insignificant):

I realize it's New York city, but c'mon... $700 bones a night for a hotel room? Did she need to stay at the Waldorf Astoria?

Geez, set a positive example and stay in a hotel room the average Alaskan could afford if visiting NYC. Isn't she all about budget reforms and sh!t?

If that is the allowable rate by the government (who sets those rates) for a Governor...it would not matter if her daughter was there or not.

Edit...just with a quick search...the max hotel in Manhattan is at $311 per night...though, cannot find if that is the general reimbursement rate or if that would include higher up officials who get better rates. In addition, if she was there for a conference, there are exceptions if you are staying at the hotel for a conference as well. My wife used to do travel claim regulation work with the state government here.

Really the travel stuff, experience don't concern me at all. What I'm afraid of is the fact she's a former beauty queen. I saw Drop Dead Gorgeous, I know how catty those girls get...what happens when if she thinks so and so world leader is prettier than her. I'll tell you-NUCLEAR ARMAGEDDON!!!!! <_<

If that is the allowable rate by the government (who sets those rates) for a Governor...it would not matter if her daughter was there or not.

Edit...just with a quick search...the max hotel in Manhattan is at $311 per night...though, cannot find if that is the general reimbursement rate or if that would include higher up officials who get better rates. In addition, if she was there for a conference, there are exceptions if you are staying at the hotel for a conference as well. My wife used to do travel claim regulation work with the state government here.

I still assert she should have stayed at Habib's Motor Inn. <_<

Umm...really, it says she was not doing business?

She moved to Juneau...her official station is in Juneau.

Therefore, if workin in Wasilla, she gets a per diem. Its pretty straightforward.

Wasilla is not her main office. Her main office is Juneau. Thats the point.

I had it backwards and thought she was claiming per diem on days she was working in Juneau. This is not any better though. You only get per diem if you are travelling because of business. If you are working from home you do not get per diem. If I am on vacation and I bring my laptop and work a day or two...I cannot claim per diem. Business has to be the reason you travelled.

Really the travel stuff, experience don't concern me at all. What I'm afraid of is the fact she's a former beauty queen. I saw Drop Dead Gorgeous, I know how catty those girls get...what happens when if she thinks so and so world leader is prettier than her. I'll tell you-NUCLEAR ARMAGEDDON!!!!! :shocking:

Unfortunately, this is the most coherent post by any of you lefties regarding Palin yet today.

:banana:

<_<

I had it backwards and thought she was claiming per diem on days she was working in Juneau. This is not any better though. You only get per diem if you are travelling because of business. If you are working from home you do not get per diem. If I am on vacation and I bring my laptop and work a day or two...I cannot claim per diem. Business has to be the reason you travelled.

If you are working outside of your official station, you get per diem.

If she did not stay in a hotel, obviously she would not get money for a stay...but would still get the per diem for food expenses.

And not sure how it works as far as the Governor of States if they are originally from outside of the Cap. city.

It sounds like all parts who review these things for Alaska are saying it was legal...so the idea she was stealing state funds is laughable.

Only the crazies like txstang will even keep this crap up.

Funny how these left wing Olbermann types have put more effort into their criticism against Palin for this type of crap and her preggers daughter in the last few days than they put into Obama and his felon business partner and terrorist “associate” over the last 19 months…

Didn't work out so well for Olbermann, probably won't for the left wingr's come Nov either.

Funny how these left wing Olbermann types have put more effort into their criticism against Palin for this type of crap and her preggers daughter in the last few days than they put into Obama and his felon business partner and terrorist “associate” over the last 19 months…

Didn't work out so well for Olbermann, probably won't for the left wingr's come Nov either.

Fah-Q

FF Geek

Group: Members

Funny how you have to trot out an alias to point this out you big fairy chickenshiit. :music_guitarred:

Fah-Q

FF Geek

Funny how you have to trot out an alias to point this out you big fairy chickenshiit. :music_guitarred:

Went back to school get an MBA, stopped playing FF therefore haven't been to this site with any regularity to speak of since the last Pres election. You'll have to forgive me, the comedy that is the misguided political speak such as this drew me back to check in on you.

Funny how you chose to address the user name rather than the comment, you "big fairy chickenshiit".

Fah-Q

FF Geek

Funny how you have to trot out an alias to point this out you big fairy chickenshiit. :overhead:

Yeah. Wiffle makes an a$$ of himself as himself.

There's plenty of legitimate stuff to discuss relating to her candidacy.

True. She will continue Bush's economic, foreign, health, and education policies of Bush. She may be a little more religious however (Pushing for creationism in school, censoring of certain library books, no abortion even if it's rape or incest).

True. She will continue Bush's economic, foreign, health, and education policies of Bush. She may be a little more religious however (Pushing for creationism in school, censoring of certain library books, no abortion even if it's rape or incest).

:pointstosky:

don't criticize her! she's a fragile woman. just ask karl rove and the gops.

stop it. you'll make her cry. or maybe run off the stage and break a heel or something. you meanies!

Wow...the more posters like xstang and wifflecack keep putting the most ridiculous things about Palin up, the more I realize how desperate the Democratic party really is. Wow. Just.....wow.

Do you like pushing forth lies.

Nowhere is she pushing for creationism, nowhere did she push to censor library books, and nowhere has she tried to push anything about abortion (which is idiotic...how much power does the VP have on abortion? the answer is absolutely none)