Sign in to follow this  
rotisserieking

Commishes: How to handle the PPD Raven-Texans game?

To me fantasy football is like golf, don't cheat, keep your own score and it's about the game, not the prizes. sure it is nice to win a league and get some extra $$$ around Xmas time but if you can't trust the guys in the your league because it's a money league then you and the guys in your league are really missing the point.

:thumbsup:

Hey, I agree with you, but the dooshtards in my money league apparently don't see it that way. Case in point: This week's game. Now, I don't know that everyone in my league bothered to look at MY team, but I know damn well at least one guy did: The team I was up against. These guys all know me, and they all know my situation. I'm stuck at Ronald McDonald House for a few weeks while my preemie daughter recovers at the hospital and I have NO Internet access on the weekend. Not one phone call or text message alerting me that I needed to get Balt's D out of there. Fockers.

Still, in the end, I accept responsibility. It's my team, and ultimately my responsibility to manage it. I wasn't saying all of that to whine, but rather to show you what I'm dealing with here. :wub:

So it is better to randomly change the rules? Then which rules are the "real" rules and which one might be changed during the season? I don't know what is more messed up, changing the rules during the season or expecting fantasy football players to think ahead?

What rules you ignant clown?

There isn't a fantasy league in the world that has a rule for hurricanes and games that get canceled on Saturday.

You probably have no friends, so you can't fathom what it might be like.

Hey, I agree with you, but the dooshtards in my money league apparently don't see it that way. Case in point: This week's game. Now, I don't know that everyone in my league bothered to look at MY team, but I know damn well at least one guy did: The team I was up against. These guys all know me, and they all know my situation. I'm stuck at Ronald McDonald House for a few weeks while my preemie daughter recovers at the hospital and I have NO Internet access on the weekend. Not one phone call or text message alerting me that I needed to get Balt's D out of there. Fockers.

Still, in the end, I accept responsibility. It's my team, and ultimately my responsibility to manage it. I wasn't saying all of that to whine, but rather to show you what I'm dealing with here. :wub:

everyone in my league is between the ages of 32 and 45 and they all are from the same city, or grew up in that city.

Couple of years ago, we had a guy die (that I went to high school with). He died about 3 weeks into the season. He went into the hospital on a Monday and died that Saturday. He didn't set his lineup before he died and ironically enough he was playing me team. I should have not only not set his lineup, but I should have told his mother to fock off at the funeral, right? :thumbsup:

Some people have no respect for anything and just no sense of common decency.

everyone in my league is between the ages of 32 and 45 and they all are from the same city, or grew up in that city.

Couple of years ago, we had a guy die (that I went to high school with). He died about 3 weeks into the season. He went into the hospital on a Monday and died that Saturday. He didn't set his lineup before he died and ironically enough he was playing me team. I should have not only not set his lineup, but I should have told his mother to fock off at the funeral, right? :doublethumbsup:

I hear you...and I agree totally.

(Incidentally, my backup DST was Green Bay. They amassed 23 points on my bench based on our scoring rules. I lost Week 2 by a score of 154-142 :wave: )

What rules you ignant clown?

My league doesn't even allow Sunday pickups.

What's more important? telling a guy to fock off, rules are rules, or helping him out because it's the right thing to do?

The rules governing when player can be pick up, jack@ss.

What no one knew there was a hurricane heading for Texas before Sunday morning?

Our deadline for moves is noon on Friday, because half of the league don't have computer access at home. Someone picked up a backup defense two days before the game was even moved. It is called thinking ahead.

You are going to some extremes here. A person dying? Come on dude, of course that is different and not relevant to the discussion.

The bottom line is that as a commish you need to try and get in touch with the owner in this case. There was plenty of time to do it. If you accept the responsibility to be a commish then you also accept the responsiblity to be "on top" of the news. I don't sit in front of a computer all day, but I found out about the game being moved. Hell, I was on a boat fishing when I heard it on the radio. You don't have to sit in your house all day to find that out. So don't give me the "I was playing poker" routine. Sounds like to me you shouldn't be the commish.

Unless there were some extreme situation as to why the guy did not respond to emails, text's, and phone calls on Saturday/Sunday then his player gets a zero. Sorry, shiot happens. We are grown folk, I don't have to hold their hands and babysit their teams.

The rules governing when player can be pick up, jack@ss.

What no one knew there was a hurricane heading for Texas before Sunday morning?

Our deadline for moves is noon on Friday, because half of the league don't have computer access at home. Someone picked up a backup defense two days before the game was even moved. It is called thinking ahead.

People have lives, they have families, they have children, they have things to do, they don't sit on the internet all day at home. I still have people that don't have the internet at home. People in my league never even turn on ESPN and they don't even watch the games. Not everyone that plays fantasy football lives for it.

You are going to some extremes here. A person dying? Come on dude, of course that is different.

The bottom line is that as a commish you need to try and get in touch with the owner in this case. There was plenty of time to do it. If you accept the responsibility to be a commish then you also accept the responsiblity to be "on top" of the news. I don't sit in front of a computer all day, but I found out about the game being moved. Hell, I was on a boat fishing when I heard it on the radio. You don't have to sit in your house all day to find that out. So don't give me the "I was playing poker" routine. Sounds like to me you shouldn't be the commish.

Unless there were some extreme situation as to why the guy did not respond to emails, text's, and phone calls on Saturday/Sunday then his player gets a zero. Sorry, ###### happens. We are grown folk, I don't have to hold their hands and babysit their teams.

We agree to disagree.

People have lives, they have families, they have children, they have things to do, they don't sit on the internet all day at home. I still have people that don't have the internet at home. People in my league never even turn on ESPN and they don't even watch the games. Not everyone that plays fantasy football lives for it.

Sounds like a fun league.

You keep on touting this “people have lives” ######. ######, we all have lives. Most the people in my league have families; all have full time jobs, and all have other activities outside of football. All these people find 10 minutes to check and set their lineups. If they are going to be out of town and not have the interweb on the weekend, they make plans for that ahead of time.

I am not sure why the people in your league are even playing if they don’t like football and have no interest in it. Perhaps it is time for a new pastime. I am not going to go golf with someone who doesn’t know how to, or even want to, play and then hit his shots for him. What the fock is the fun in that?

It's a common courtesy to make contact with the league for "out of the ordinary events." All of you focktards who find issue with that can go fock yourselves and have a great day doing so.

I wouldn't suggest managing their teams... just letting them know that the situation has changed rather dramatically and to double-check their lineups in the event they are affected.

It's a common courtesy to make contact with the league for "out of the ordinary events." All of you focktards who find issue with that can go fock yourselves and have a great day doing so.

I wouldn't suggest managing their teams... just letting them know that the situation has changed rather dramatically and to double-check their lineups in the event they are affected.

Everyone has lives and thats cool, play for fun. But if your in it to win, you need to check updates every day. Especially SUnday morning. If a commish updated a roster in my league, the rest of my league would quit. Run your own team. However, as a commish, I made sure everyone knew of the Bye Saturday. However, that was not my responsibilty. I did have 1 guy leave in Owen Daniels. Too bad, he didnt complain, move on.

Couple of years ago, we had a guy die (that I went to high school with). He died about 3 weeks into the season. He went into the hospital on a Monday and died that Saturday. He didn't set his lineup before he died and ironically enough he was playing me team. I should have not only not set his lineup, but I should have told his mother to fock off at the funeral, right? :pointstosky:

:D

proper protocal is to punch her in the face.. HTH

Agree to a point. I was scheduled to start McGahee. I took the initiative to contact the commish to ask about the proper procedures to handle the situation. I offered a solution of letting there be a back up player in place in case the game scheduled for Monday was cancelled after lineups were locked. The commish agreed and notified all of the players.

If a person did not have a backup player in place that is his fault. In my league an owner did not have a back up kicker so he took a zero at that position. That was his fault for not having a backup in place.

Still, in the end, I accept responsibility. It's my team, and ultimately my responsibility to manage it. I wasn't saying all of that to whine, but rather to show you what I'm dealing with here. :shocking:

I would think that people would not want to bother you with something as meaningless as FF at this time. I would look at it that they didn't contact you out of respect. Of course you know them better than I do.

Everyone has lives and thats cool, play for fun. But if your in it to win, you need to check updates every day. Especially SUnday morning. If a commish updated a roster in my league, the rest of my league would quit. Run your own team. However, as a commish, I made sure everyone knew of the Bye Saturday. However, that was not my responsibilty. I did have 1 guy leave in Owen Daniels. Too bad, he didnt complain, move on.

My point is... it's not about micromanaging the league. This was clearly an extraordinary event and not a simple matter of a late-breaking inactive or injury situation for which each owner is responsible.

I wouldn't suggest making changes to anyone's lineup, just doing what's necessary to maximize that the league has been informed of the situation and then let them do what they need to (or not).

As a commish, I would argue that IS your responsibility. Keep the league informed of unexpected changes that could affect the entire league. This is one of those situations.

I would think that people would not want to bother you with something as meaningless as FF at this time. I would look at it that they didn't contact you out of respect. Of course you know them better than I do.

Trust me, I get no respect :face Rodney Dangerfield:

Agree to a point. I was scheduled to start McGahee. I took the initiative to contact the commish to ask about the proper procedures to handle the situation. I offered a solution of letting there be a back up player in place in case the game scheduled for Monday was cancelled after lineups were locked. The commish agreed and notified all of the players.

If a person did not have a backup player in place that is his fault. In my league an owner did not have a back up kicker so he took a zero at that position. That was his fault for not having a backup in place.

The NFL has a schedule and on that schedule the 1st bye week is week 4. Are you saying that they should also have a backup for the defense? Why? you expect suddenly, sunday morning the entire defense is going to scratched and not play?