Sign in to follow this  
ivan852

Turner Is Only Good...

So, should I only start Turner when they play soft defenses?

Norwood seems to be the tougher running against good defenses.

I benched Turner for Slaton at the very last minute this week. :shocking:

Turner look like the classic match-up type player. Playing match-ups usually bites you in the arse and I don't like to do it. Turner looks to change that, at least as far as he is concerned.

itsatip that he's better at home and in particular against crappy run defenses. The Atlanta line doesn't have enough talent to overpower good teams.

Turner has one good week and then one bad week.

How those predictions working out there Pimptaddy???

Pimptaddy's 2008 predictions: 1) Romo is #1 fantasy QB 2) Santonio Holmes is top 3 WR 3) Brian Westbrook is #1 fantasy RB 4) Adrian Peterson gets hurt; Taylor tears it up 5) Winslow #1 TE 6) Dallas #1 defense

Only ones you even have a shot at are 1 and 4 at this point. Me thinks you doth overestimate your beloved Cowgirls... :doublethumbsup:

Well, he has Green Bay this week. Graham ran well against them last week, but that's the Bucs.

Now that AR is hurt, I wonder if this will be more of a grind it out, running game on both sides.

I don't know but I was surprised when they grabbed turner from San Diego...Jerious is a stud...I think given the opportunity he would produce better #'s...

I don't know but I was surprised when they grabbed turner from San Diego...Jerious is a stud...I think given the opportunity he would produce better #'s...

To me is was like when the raiders grabbed Jordan.

He was gonna be the next big RB ti start, but when it came down to it, he never measured up.

I think Turner is a good RB who was the product of an explosive offense. Now that he's on Atlanta, nobody is that scared of him. Ryan isn't making the defenses respect him and the Atlanta O line is a joke.

He'll have his 200 3TD games and his 45 yard games.

You only gonna play him 4 more times this year? (Week 9 - @OAK, 10 - NOR; 11 - DEN, 14 - @NOR) Cause those are the only "soft Ds" that I see on the rest of their sked.

I say you play him until he fails you with consistency, then you play him at home or as a match-up guy.

Key word here, "seems." I think it has more to do with the sitch and the formations; if you watched their games, many of Turners good plays were towards the edge, which is precisely where Norwood has had his most success too, on a 3 wide formation. Since Norwood comes in on those passing formations more and they play those formations more against the "tough Ds," Norwood is getting more opportunity for those "big plays."

I'm tired of hearing about Norwood. He's been on what, 3 coaching staff's by now? And none of them have seen him as a starter. I've got to think those coaches know more than we do about talent. If he was all that, they wouldn't have shelled all that money out for Turner.

As for Turner, he is what we thought he was. He's a great running back stuck behind a poor to average O-line with little passing game to take the pressure off. That O-line looks good against bad D's, but gets manhandled by the better D's. And no one's scared of Ryan yet.

I own him in 2 leagues. It's tough to trade him because, while he's the #1 RB, you won't get that value for him. So do you sell him for something less based on his schedule, or keep him and hope that they play better against the tougher D's? You could be kicking yourself if that O-line comes together and opens holes for him against tougher teams, because he's shown he can put up huge yards when given a chance.

You only gonna play him 4 more times this year? (Week 9 - @OAK, 10 - NOR; 11 - DEN, 14 - @NOR) Cause those are the only "soft Ds" that I see on the rest of their sked.

I say you play him until he fails you with consistency, then you play him at home or as a match-up guy.

Key word here, "seems." I think it has more to do with the sitch and the formations; if you watched their games, many of Turners good plays were towards the edge, which is precisely where Norwood has had his most success too, on a 3 wide formation. Since Norwood comes in on those passing formations more and they play those formations more against the "tough Ds," Norwood is getting more opportunity for those "big plays."

This is a good point and should be kept in mind. It's easy to get 5-6 yrds when your team is on 3rd and 8. Turner is averaging nearly 20 carries a game and absolutely punishes soft defenses. He won't be consistent, but he'll consistently get the chance to be. You try playing behind a below average line with a rookie QB there and no defense.

To me is was like when the raiders grabbed Jordan.

He was gonna be the next big RB ti start, but when it came down to it, he never measured up.

I think Turner is a good RB who was the product of an explosive offense. Now that he's on Atlanta, nobody is that scared of him. Ryan isn't making the defenses respect him and the Atlanta O line is a joke.

He'll have his 200 3TD games and his 45 yard games.

Never measured up?

First season numbers 14 games, 272 carries for 1,025 yards and 9 TDs. Also 70 catches for 563 yards and 2 receiving TDs.

I'll give you this much, the next 2 seasons he was garbage but that was more due to injury and the team he was playing on.

Its really not that hard to figure out.

Atlanta has played relatively well so far but they are not a good team and they are starting a rookie QB. As a team they will struggle against decent to good teams and defenses. Those teams are gonna stop the run and make the rookie QB beat them. In these games it will be hard for Turner to produce big numbers b/c they will fall behind early and get out of their gameplan.

Against lesser teams and Atlanta will have be able to stick with the run and Turner will produce. I think Ryan will play much better at home as well as many young QBs tend to do.

I have pretty decent RB depth and plan on rotating Turner in my lineup based on matchups. He does have a pretty rough stretch coming up for the next several weeks but I think he will pay dividends late in the season and the 2 monster games have really helped already.

And any suggestion that Norwood is a "tougher" runner is just ABSURD. Norwood is talented and has definite big play ability but Turner is a much better between the tackles runner and thats why Atlanta signed him when they decided to go with a power running game.

Turner had subpar games at Carolina and at Tampa so he is situational? Is that for real?

I am guessing Lynch is junk. He did nothing against the horrible horrible Rams this week so I wouldn't start him in road games. He is no good.

Marion Barber completely sucked this week at home against Washington so I would never play him in division home games after seeing that.

If you took away Barry Sanders best 2 runs every game, he was really really average.

If Tomlinson didn't socres so many touchdowns over his career, I would have never even considered him.

If Stephen Davis died, I would still start him.

If Jim Brown were still playing, he would have at least 100,000 yards.

Michael Turner is really, really good if you actually watch him run the football. It's a tip.

Turner had subpar games at Carolina and at Tampa so he is situational? Is that for real?

I am guessing Lynch is junk. He did nothing against the horrible horrible Rams this week so I wouldn't start him in road games. He is no good.

Marion Barber completely sucked this week at home against Washington so I would never play him in division home games after seeing that.

If you took away Barry Sanders best 2 runs every game, he was really really average.

If Tomlinson didn't socres so many touchdowns over his career, I would have never even considered him.

Michael Turner is really, really good if you actually watch him run the football. It's a tip.

Very well put ! This is so true with FF owners,they only go off of things said by some loser ESPN FF "expert". Its not like the guy Fumbled the ball 2 times and had 10 yards rushing either. He played to tough run D's , You cant run for 200 yards and 2 td's every week. Last i looked he's still the #1 or 2 FF RB in most leagues! Yea he has a Rookie QB , soo what! Ryan Grant aint looking soo good at this point and he is the #1 RB on most teams Post draft. Turner is a great #2 RB on teams that got him in the 3rd-4th-5th round! I have no problem plugin him in every week.

C'mon - you can not be serious in making legit comparisons between this guy and the likes of Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and LT (or as some would label him LDT / LT2). You can't name a buch of clowns like that and expect people to take you seriously. The only player listed that even belongs in the same breath w/ Turner's greatness is Stephen Davis, who may or may not be dead, and is still worth a roster spot.

On a serious note - I think Turner's results are more tied to the inconsistency of the young offense as a whole - especially the QB. When Ryan plays well and manages not to turn it over, it seems the offense is capable and Turner benefits as the focal point in the run game. The inconsistency may level out late as the season and QB mature, but I think you are going to have to live with it for now. The other comment is that he has very limited involvement as a receiver out of the backfield. This limits his ability to compensate for lack of rushing production when defense dare a rookie QB to beat them.

JMO as a non-Turner owner

C'mon - you can not be serious in making legit comparisons between this guy and the likes of Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and LT (or as some would label him LDT / LT2). You can't name a buch of clowns like that and expect people to take you seriously. The only player listed that even belongs in the same breath w/ Turner's greatness is Stephen Davis, who may or may not be dead, and is still worth a roster spot.

On a serious note - I think Turner's results are more tied to the inconsistency of the young offense as a whole - especially the QB. When Ryan plays well and manages not to turn it over, it seems the offense is capable and Turner benefits as the focal point in the run game. The inconsistency may level out late as the season and QB mature, but I think you are going to have to live with it for now. The other comment is that he has very limited involvement as a receiver out of the backfield. This limits his ability to compensate for lack of rushing production when defense dare a rookie QB to beat them.

JMO as a non-Turner owner

He's only been a starter for 4 games ! I think it'll take some time for that unit to gel into a fine tuned offensive force. As a Turner Owner I'd start him every week as my RB 2 no matter the match-up . . . .

I stopped reading after Barry Sanders....

He's only been a starter for 4 games ! I think it'll take some time for that unit to gel into a fine tuned offensive force. As a Turner Owner I'd start him every week as my RB 2 no matter the match-up . . . .

I agree. There are a lot of worse options out there at #2 RB than the highest scoring RB to date. I can think of guys like Jones-Drew, Jacobs, Grant. I'd take Turner over these guys. And dont forget the turds that Barber, Lynch, SJax, Addai etc have put up to date. People just want to knock Turner because they didnt get him in the 4th or 5th round like we did.

tough schedule....let's give him a few more weeks.

Against lesser teams and Atlanta will have be able to stick with the run and Turner will produce. I think Ryan will play much better at home as well as many young QBs tend to do.

I think this is a huge factor, that's largely overlooked. Rookie QB's play MUCH better at home than on the road. Once they're on the road with all the noise and hostile crowd they panic. I think Turners numbers are more of a product of that, than playing tough defenses (although that obviously has a lot to do with it too).

Most people on this board had Turner pegged for 1000 yards rushing and 5 Tds. Well folks, he's already got the 5tds, and he's halfway to that 1k yards AFTER 4 GAMES!

He hasn't had two good games and two bad games. He's had two MONSTER games and two subpar games.

It's also funny how quickly a def can go from being "tough" to being beatable. Take the Packers for example. Week 1, this looked like a bad matchup for Tuner. Now, it looks quite favorable. The Packers D is in shambles, Rodgers probably won't play, and the Pack will be starting their own rookie QB. Things are very fluid from week to week in the NFL, so don't go crazy trying to over analyze a team's schedule.

Turner is a young RB with only 4 starts on his resume, on a team with a young O-line and QB. This offense is only going to get better as the year goes on. Ask any Turner owner and they will tell you he has already surpassed their wildest expectations and the season is only 4 games old.

Surpassed my wildest expectations? Ummm no, not really. But I do understand what yer saying Cav. When I drafted Turner in the 6th round, I did figure he was in for a up/down kinda year. But I also figured he'd be a lock for 1200 APY & around the 10 TD range. I had him in my top 10 RBs list (predraft) & as I said, snatched him up in the 6th round & smiled the whole time. Granted, I grabbed him as my #3 behind Barber (who I took 4th overall - ahead of Addai/SJax & the big WRs Moss/TO) & LJ (in the 2nd). I'll start Barber every week & play matchups with LJ/Turner/Slaton for the rest of the year. I think the majority of us Turner owners grabbed him based on value & upside moreso than a guaranteed week in, week out starter. As stated earlier, some bash him for being up/down - but I have yet to hear (or at least very little) any bashing on any of the other RBs (or any position players for that matter) that were drafted BEFORE Turner, but yet have put up lesser numbers & have been even more up/down (mostly down). Sour grapes from nonTurner owners?

People just want to knock Turner because they didnt get him in the 4th or 5th round like we did.
Sour Grapes from nonTurner Owners?
I can think of guys like Jones-Drew, Jacobs, Grant. I'd take Turner over these guys.

All True Statements !

Montana, I hear ya, but I just don't think anyone could have predicted that after 4 weeks Turner would be the #1 scoring back in most Fantasy Formats, and to have not only a 200 yard game under his belt, but a 3-TD game, in the span of just 4 weeks as well. I expected decent numbers, but those have to be nearly unheard of stats for a RB in just his first four starts.

True Cav - maybe surpassed my expectations over 4 games thus far - I'll give ya that.

I guess my original comment was more about starting someone else against good defenses. I never said he wasn't a good RB, he's been amazing in a couple of games and I'm sure will continue doing the same against weaker defenses.

Against tougher D's, I was thinking starting Forte. Regardless of his matchup, he'll continue to get 5+ catches, which in my PPR league is great.