Sign in to follow this  
XToday

Owens in his prime VS Fitzgerald

Which WR is better?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Terrell Owens in his prime, or Larry Fitzgerald right now?

• Larry Fitzgerald
    • Terrell Owens

I love how people get a gushy for a player after a season or a few games. Last year at this time Fitz wouldn't make most of these posters top 5 in the game right now.

Fitz has been amazing but we need to slow down. I imagine a few people here picked Fitz because they hate TO (which I get, its hard to be on TOs side in anything) but let Fitz play a few great years before this is even an comparison.

What I find most ammusing about this whole thing...

1. Fitz is faster than TO in their primes. (I think someone said easily faster even)

2. Comparing Fitz to Rice. Not only is Rice maybe the best player ever to play and Fitz is still young, but they are not even the same kind of players. I would say they are quite different and in no way compare to eachother.

ps. Calvin Johnson is the best reciever in football right now...

:thumbsdown:

I think its hard to compare TOs skillset: strength and speed against anyone. Were there better recievers overall? Sure, go look at Rice and Moss, but noone was a BEAST like TO. Fitzgerald is a slower second coming of Randy Moss... not saying that is the worst thing possible...

ps. Calvin Johnson is the best reciever in football right now...

:ninja:

I think its hard to compare TOs skillset: strength and speed against anyone. Were there better recievers overall? Sure, go look at Rice and Moss, but noone was a BEAST like TO. Fitzgerald is a slower second coming of Randy Moss... not saying that is the worst thing possible...

I argued for TO over Fitz in their primes earlier. That being said, re: Fitz vs. Moss, Moss was and has always been a one-trick pony. Arguably the best at that one trick of all time. But blocking, going over the middle, and YAC weigh in Fitz's favor.

Do you guys forget that TO had to compete against Rice for touches? Now that's real fair. Good grief, who has fitz had to compete with? This is crazy.

TO showed what he can do in SF second man

TO showed what he can do in PHILLY

TO showed what he can do in Dallas

Do you guys forget that TO had to compete against Rice for touches? Now that's real fair. Good grief, who has fitz had to compete with? This is crazy.

Anquan Boldin

Anquan Boldin is Peerless Price and Alvin Harper

That's just ridiculous on many levels. Anyway, Fits has superior hands (TO's greatest weakness) and absolutely superb body control. But for the all-around package, TO ran any route, defeated jams, blocked like a beast, outran guys on the go route, took the end-around... he gets my vote.

Anquan Boldin is Peerless Price and Alvin Harper

I don't recall Peerless Price or Alvin Harper pulling in 101 receptions for 1377 yard with Jeff Blake at QB and no Larry Fitzgerald across from him. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why you dislike Boldin so much. In a different thread you label him as a locker room cancer (unlikely, considering Larry Fitzgerald is willing to restructure his contract simply to keep him and Kurt Warner considers Boldin's presence on the team a key factor in his decision on whether to play or not next season). Obviously Fitzgerald has surpassed him a receiver, but Boldin remains one of the elite players in the league at his position.

1. Fitz is faster than TO in their primes.

Okay . . . I stand corrected. I went back and looked at some clips again . . . I was wrong. I admit I had forgotten how fast Owens was.

I still like Fitzgerald as the better receiver, and will reiterate that he's just entering his prime.

I don't recall Peerless Price or Alvin Harper pulling in 101 receptions for 1377 yard with Jeff Blake at QB and no Larry Fitzgerald across from him.

That's the biggest thing here that makes the comment . . . um . . . questionable. Boldin was there first . . . but thanks, jocstrap, for reminding everyone that TO didn't always do with "no one on the other side."

Up until this year and about half way through it I was saying Boldin was the best WR on the team. That kind of changed with Fitz's postseason performance, but I still think it is close.

I would say half way through this year many of the Fitz backers thought the same.

I don't recall Peerless Price or Alvin Harper pulling in 101 receptions for 1377 yard with Jeff Blake at QB and no Larry Fitzgerald across from him. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why you dislike Boldin so much. In a different thread you label him as a locker room cancer (unlikely, considering Larry Fitzgerald is willing to restructure his contract simply to keep him and Kurt Warner considers Boldin's presence on the team a key factor in his decision on whether to play or not next season). Obviously Fitzgerald has surpassed him a receiver, but Boldin remains one of the elite players in the league at his position.

Didn't he hold out as long as possible before the start of last season? Maybe more of a business thing than a cancer I suppose. Cancer could be the wrong choice of words here. :bandana:

I love how people get a gushy for a player after a season or a few games. Last year at this time Fitz wouldn't make most of these posters top 5 in the game right now.

Fitz has been amazing but we need to slow down. I imagine a few people here picked Fitz because they hate TO (which I get, its hard to be on TOs side in anything) but let Fitz play a few great years before this is even an comparison.

What I find most ammusing about this whole thing...

1. Fitz is faster than TO in their primes. (I think someone said easily faster even)

2. Comparing Fitz to Rice. Not only is Rice maybe the best player ever to play and Fitz is still young, but they are not even the same kind of players. I would say they are quite different and in no way compare to eachother.

Fitz has been doing this for years, you are the one who didn't know about him. Check their 5 years stats and this tread is over.

Sort of but let's not exaggerate. They were both there together from 1996-2000. 5 years total. But Rice only played 1 game in '97 and TO only managed 900 yds and 8 TD's so don't give me he really held him back his first couple years. TO wasn't good enough yet to be an elite WR. '98 & '99 yes I would say had to compete for touches which were about even. But in 2000 TO was the main WR and Rice played 2nd to him. The last 8 years TO has had nothing on the other side.

Fitz has been doing this for years, you are the one who didn't know about him. Check their 5 years stats and this tread is over.

I never said he hasn't been good, I know the stats.

But if I came here the beginning of the year or even maybe half way through the year, Fitz wouldn't be in manys top 5 WRs, and hardly anyones top WR in the league. Now all of a sudden he is getting compared to Jerry Rice?

That is what I am talking about.

I know he is a great player and has had more than this past season.

I never said he hasn't been good, I know the stats.

But if I came here the beginning of the year or even maybe half way through the year, Fitz wouldn't be in manys top 5 WRs, and hardly anyones top WR in the league. Now all of a sudden he is getting compared to Jerry Rice?

That is what I am talking about.

I know he is a great player and has had more than this past season.

I think the difference, and sudden vaulted attention, is because Fitzgerald remained a monster during an impressive playoff run, and he was a huge reason why the Cardinals were 30 seconds from a ring. Few WRs can 'take over' games, but he did. It's one thing to be a stud receiver on an average or poor team during garbage time, but when you're doing it to playoff-caliber teams it's another story. Fitzgerald's run over the last month or so has been nothing short of amazing. It wasn't just a lucky game or two-- it was a record-setting achievement.

I drafted him in the second, fourth receiver off the board after Moss, Owens, and Wayne. Unless I'm mistaken that's about where most people had him ranked. Andre Johnson was the only other guy I considered there.

I drafted him in the second, fourth receiver off the board after Moss, Owens, and Wayne. Unless I'm mistaken that's about where most people had him ranked. Andre Johnson was the only other guy I considered there.

Why does that mean people had him top 5 WRs? Lets try to seperate fantasy and reality, if reality is what we are talking. Many would have said Steve Smith is a better WR at the start of the year. Many though Braylon Edwards was on his way to being a flat out stud. After 1 year Braylon now sucks and Fitz is Jerry Rice.

Its ok to vault Fitz to the best WR in the game after his great year, but the all-time comparisons are a little too soon.

Why does that mean people had him top 5 WRs? Lets try to seperate fantasy and reality, if reality is what we are talking. Many would have said Steve Smith is a better WR at the start of the year. Many though Braylon Edwards was on his way to being a flat out stud. After 1 year Braylon now sucks and Fitz is Jerry Rice.

Its ok to vault Fitz to the best WR in the game after his great year, but the all-time comparisons are a little too soon.

Fantasy and reality don't parallel perfectly, but if a guy is a top five fantasy pick he is generally going to be in the discussion of top 5 in the league. Of course there are exceptions like Calvin Johnson, who's in an horrific situation, but in general I think it's true, and Certainly in Fitz' case.

Fantasy and reality don't parallel perfectly, but if a guy is a top five fantasy pick he is generally going to be in the discussion of top 5 in the league. Of course there are exceptions like Calvin Johnson, who's in an horrific situation, but in general I think it's true, and Certainly in Fitz' case.

I'm not saying people didn't have him around the top 5. But generally he was no one's #1 or #2 WR in the league (real football), he was right around 4-6. Now after 1 year he is getting compared to Jerry Rice. I think that is funny.

I'm not saying people didn't have him around the top 5. But generally he was no one's #1 or #2 WR in the league (real football), he was right around 4-6. Now after 1 year he is getting compared to Jerry Rice. I think that is funny.

I had him as #1 last year and this year. (in real football). It is hard for some people to form an opinion if they have never seen him play. When it comes to WR TO does not have half the skills that Fitz has. Route running, hands, adjustment to the ball, etc.

I had him as #1 last year and this year. (in real football). It is hard for some people to form an opinion if they have never seen him play. When it comes to WR TO does not have half the skills that Fitz has. Route running, hands, adjustment to the ball, etc.

You had him over Moss going into this year?

Sometimes I think people just don't realize what TO has done in this league.

FYI for the people who can't get past his ridiculous antics..

14,122 Rec Yards - 5th All-Time

951 Catches - 6th All-Time

139 Rec TD's - 2nd All-Time

141 Total TD's - 4th All-Time

We have a winner :clap:

If Fitz has twice the skills as a top 5 all time WR than I guess consider Fitz the best football player ever.

Jerry Rice who?

Why is everyone slobbing over Fitz? WHy not Boldin?

Through their first 5 years in the league. (I'm not even counting this last one for Boldin which is one of his best years on a per game avg.)

Boldin:

68 games

413 rec

5458 yards

29 TDs

13.2 avg.

Per Game:

6.0 rec. per game

80.0 ypg

.42 TDpg

Fitz:

76 games

426 rec.

5975 yards

14.0 avg.

46 TDs

Per Game:

5.6 rec per game

78.6 ypg

.60 TDpg

Both have 2 100 rec. years.

Boldin had a crazy rookie year with an Old Jeff Blake? With worse Cards teams and no one on the otherside like Fitz has in Boldin now.

You explain to me why Boldin gets no consideration but Fitz does? Why is Fitz's start more impressive than Boldin's?

In the other thread some guy just put Fitz 5th. OVERALL! OF ALL TIME! yet if I wouldn't have asked him where Boldin ranks it wouldn't even be top 20.

Why? Explain it to me.

You had him over Moss going into this year?

Not in Fantasy but as the #1 WR in the game. I've seen almost every game Fitz has played over the last 4 years and he still continues to amaze me.

I thought we were talking about "in his prime".

I thought we were talking about "in his prime".

When did TO put up those numbers if not then? :rolleyes:

When did TO put up those numbers if not then? :headbanger:

Ah, so he has been in his prime his whole career. What a stud.

Can the greatest WR of all time be a guy who can't even run a quick slant and hang onto the ball.

Can the greatest WR of all time be a guy who can't even run a quick slant and hang onto the ball.

No. I'm saying the majority of his numbers obviously came in his prime. That's the very definition of the word. Correct? When did he put up all-time great stats if not in his prime?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Larry will never throw a QB of his under the bus.

Owens:

Garcia

McNabb

Bledsoe

Romo

And if he would have played with him long enough, I'm sure he would have found something to b!tch about with Steve Young.

Then there are the drops.

But hey, Fitz doesn't have his own reality show!!!

Didn't he whinge about Young's left handed spirals being hard to catch?

I don't believe anyone said he was the best of all time. :doublethumbsup:

Just better than Fitz in his prime.

im going with Fitz. I think hes still getting better especially at running after the catch. Hes already much better at tracking deep balls than TO ever was. 6 years from now I think Fitz will be up higher than Owens on the all time lists. The one thing I dont like about TO other than his annoying drama queen personality, is that he drops a lot of balls and gives up on his routes on others. I dont think we will ever see that from fitzgerald.