Sign in to follow this  
madd futher mucker

Top 50 RBs including Rookies

I'm bored, so I listed my top 50 RBs for PPR - For regular scoring leagues you can elevate guys who don't catch the ball (like Jacobs). This is for Dynasty or Deep keeper leagues - Comments welcome.

1. ADP

2. MJD

3. S Jax

4. Gore

5. CJ

6. Forte

7. De Williams

8. Turner

9. Lynch

10.Slayton

11. Barber

12. Stewart

13. Moreno - R

14. Mcfadden

15. Westbrook

16. Portis

17. L T

18. McCoy - R

19. R Brown

20 Bush

21 Thomas

22 K Smith

23 Parker

24 F Jones

25 Jacobs

26 Mendenhall

27 D. Brown - R

28 Wells - R

29 Addai

30 Grant

31 D Ward

32 Sproles

33 T Jones

34 Washington

35 Benson

36 McGahee

37 Lewis

38 Graham

39 Fargas

40 C. Taylor

41 Choice

42 L White

43 L Johnson

44 Bradshaw

45 McCain

46 Norwood

47 Hightower

48 Rice

49 Maroney

50 M Bush

Too High

Slaton

Stewart

Moreno

McFadden

F.Jones

Mendenhall

Grant

Too Low

LT

Westy

Jacobs

T Jones

Lendale

also McCoy is a rookie

Go ahead - who's too high; who's too low?

Leon Washington is too low, he finished last season as the #26 RB in ppr leagues, T Jones is getting a year older(i think he is now 31 or 32), and their is a new coaching staff coming into town that said that they are going to use washington more at the RB position. And while Washington may be slightly shorter than the average RB, he has the same build as a FWP or a W Dunn, he is bigger than K Smith and Chris Johnson. So the size issue is pretty misguided when people talk about washington.

With how you have both Addai and grant ranked it seems like you are predicting an injury for both of them.

I think Turner is too high, but i do place a higher emphasis on the 381 f/carry than most people.

I think slaton is too high, i think he is going to be seeing a committee this upcoming season.

I think Lynch is too high. His PPG has always been pretty pedestrian, the reason he has finished fairly strong in fantasy football is because he stays healthy, however since we already know that he is going to miss some games i dont think he will finish top 20.

I think McDaddy is too high, every indication is that Fargas is going to be the opening day starter. Plus M Bush had a 180 yards against tampa during the week 17 last season. While i expect the raiders to finish in the top 10 for rushing offense i dont think any of their runningbacks finish in the top 20.

Too High

Slaton

Stewart

Moreno

McFadden

F.Jones

Mendenhall

Grant

T Jones

Too Low

LT

Westy

Jacobs

Lendale

also McCoy is a rookie

fixed

Fixed McCoy; I value the young RBs higher in Dynasty or deep keeper. If this was a re-draft list I might agree with you some. I hate Jacobs for PPR, and Westy and LT are on their "last legs" IMO.

I think slaton is too high, i think he is going to be seeing a committee this upcoming season.

quiet you, noone else seems to have figured this out yet...

thats ridiculously high for McCoy. I like those kind of quick shifty RBs in PPR, but he hasnt even played a down yet, and we dont know what his situation will look like

disregard me, i answered as if it were redraft.

One problem that I see at a glance is LJ at #43. Way low imo. He did average 4.5 ypc last season with a mediocre o-line. However, he ony got the rock only 193 times. I am usually the first one to write a guy off, but can't do it with this guy. Obviously, he will never again have back-to-back 1700 yard/20 TD seasons, but he is only 29 years old, and has only averaged 175 carries the last 2 years after averaging 376 carries the 2 previous years, so he could be recovered somewhat and may well have something left to give.

In fact, I would be surprised but not shocked to see him out perform LT his season, if the KC o-line is solid and Cassel performs as well as he did in NE.

i'm gonna disagree with a few here and say that slaton should be higher than lynch, and McFadden should be higher than Moreno. DMC is more talented and faster.

Two too high:

Marshawn Lynch and LeSean McCoy

In a ppr, Lynch was just mediocre last season, as Fred Jackson stole touches and receptions. While Lynch is young, so is Jackson, and he isn't facing potential league discipline for run-ins with the law. Even without that, I still view Lynch as a 15-18 type back in a ppr league.

And, as has been stated, it is WAY too early to rank McCoy this high, considering we don't know what situation he finds himself in. It may end up being a prescient ranking, but, I'd wait and see how he is used and where he ends up before taking him over some proven ppr producers...<segue>

Two too low:

Ronnie Brown and Reggie Bush

Before you respond that Ronnie Brown has Ricky Williams stealing touches (just like Jackson with Marshawn), understand that I don't think Brown should be top ten. But, he is young, runs hard and scores in bunches. I see the Dolphins beginning to phase Ricky out this season, meaning Ronnie could be an every down back in the next year or two. Definitely worth a top 15 ranking, with the potential to be a top ten guy down the road.

Whether you like him or not, Reggie is a ppr STUD. I know he has been hurt the past two seasons and he is a gamble because of the injury prone label he is earning, BUT...if he stays healthy, there are probably only four or five guys I'd rather have than him in a dynasty ppr. He is young, ultra-talented and catches the equivalent of a short td run per game, plus the coaching staff in New Orleans is always trying to find ways to get him the ball in space. He is proving a knack for finding the end zone (nearly a td per game in '08), and his ceiling is a lot higher than many of the guys above him on your rankings. I'd put him where you have Marshawn and hope for the best.

It is extremely hard to flow rookies into the mix especially when you don't know the situation they might be drafted into. So you (or I) have to evaluate based on talent alone and go by where our 'gut' says they should rank talent-wise. I have him just below the top tier guys because that is where I think his talent will take him. Maybe not this fall, but in the next few years.

Lynch is problematic because of the 'character issue' (and possible suspension) that cropped up this off season. But it is hard to deny his talent. He has a very good all around game and I think we will see him catching more passes in the future.

I've owned Reggie Bush for the last 3 years in one of my deep keeper leagues. When healthy he's a PPR stud. Like many others, I'm starting to lose confidence that his knees will ever alllow him to complete a NFL season. I think he may have a chronic problem with them already in his young career. So I even thought about rating him a little lower based on what could be a fairly short NFL career. But I sure hope you are right and that he is too low.

I'm having a hard time ranking Reggie Bush, Larry Johnson, Darren McFadden, Ryan Grant, Ronnie Brown, Joseph Addai, Pierre Thomas. I don't really like any of them, but I just don't know what order these guys will finish in ppr in 2009.

You and me both, bro.

With Bush it's the knees.

With LJ, how much does he have left in the tank?

I never was comfortable with DMac's running style as he never ran from a pro-set in college. He has the size and speed, but has not shown the patience, vision or pad level to be successful running in a traditional NFL role. Hence I still think Fargas will be under-valued. I really think I have Fargas too low and DMac too high here.

Ryan Grant and Pierre Thomas have talent, but are top tier RBs; but still I Love Thomas' versatility for PPR leagues. However part of his value goes back to Bush's knees.

Has Ronnie Brown made it all the way back?

And Joseph Addai looks good when Manning takes the pressure off the running game, but how often has he had a 100 yard rushing game in the last two years?

Ranking RBs is a crap-shoot every year, but when you get past the top 8 this year, each one has more questions than answers - either age, injuries, or talent.

Grant and Brown are too low. If you're giving value to rookies when you might not see a return for a few years, you have to do the same for a guy like Brown with only Ricky keeping him from being a stud. Ricky's getting older, while Brown still has plenty of years left.

As for Grant, the #1 back on a very good offence should be allot higher. Yeah, last year sucked but he missed most of training camp. With only Brandon Jackson as competition (who seems like more of a change of pace back to me) I think Grant will be undervalued in drafts this year.

Ranking RBs is a crap-shoot every year, but when you get past the top 8 this year, each one has more questions than answers - either age, injuries, or talent.

Agree wholeheartedly and would even take it a step further...the top 8 is a crap shoot as well, as history would dictate that about half of them will end up underproducing as well.

8. Turner- huge workload this season...potential for breakdown? And, how much does the no receptions hurt as well?

7. DeAngelo- One hit wonder? Will Stewart steal more carries and scores?

6. Forte- Does he continue to be the only show in town? Did defenses start to figure him out, as his production tailed off at the end of the season?

5. CJ- Will Landwhale continue to snipe scores? Do teams take a page from the Ravens book and just try to bend and break him in half?

4. Gore- What improved from last season, when he was supposed to be top 5 because "Martz would have him catching 80 balls"?

3. Sjax- Will he continue the trend of missing the middle portion of the season and then producing at the end of the year to once again justify a top ten ranking for the following season?

2. MJD- How will he fare as the only show in town?

1. AllDay- Even the most sure of sure things has that lingering "runs so hard that he's bound to get hurt stigma" attached...is this the year?

I guess the point this illustrates to me is that, in a ppr especially, a valid strategy can be to go WR-WR-Qb, roll the dice on some high upside RBs and hope for the best...AJohnson and CJohnson wideout pair, combined with a Brees/Brady/Manning and then taking some fliers on pass catching Rbs might be the ticket for me this year...

i'm gonna disagree with a few here and say that slaton should be higher than lynch, and McFadden should be higher than Moreno. DMC is more talented and faster.

One could go either way on the Slaton/Lynch argument. I don't see either as clear-cut superior to the other in dynasty at this point. i think you are nit picking when you comment on ratings that are back-to-back. It's not like I have them out of order by 10 slots or such.

But I think you are dead wrong that DMC is more talented than Moreno. I've watched a lot of video on both of them and there is not a doubt in my mind that Moreno has more talent as a RB than DMac will ever have. The ONLY area where DMac is superior is in straight line speed. And if you are Al Davis, I guess that is all that matters. but I'd bet mucho dineros that Moreno will have a much greater career as a RB than DMac.

In retrospect, I think I have given DMac too much benefit of the doubt and that I have him way too high on this list. If I had Dmac on my dynasty teams (which i don't and wouldn't), I'd trade him even up for Moreno in a heartbeat unless Moreno lands in just a terrible situation.

Too High

Slaton

Stewart

Moreno

McFadden

F.Jones

Mendenhall

Grant

Too Low

LT

Westy

Jacobs

T Jones

Lendale

also McCoy is a rookie

I've got a couple of the guys in that first list, but they're currently looking up at LT, Colston and Royal (though without Cutler, I don't know). Any thoughts on Stewart and Mendenhall in particular? I could keep 3 RBs, but that hasn't worked well before. Depends what WRs won't be kept.

Two too high:

Marshawn Lynch and LeSean McCoy

In a ppr, Lynch was just mediocre last season, as Fred Jackson stole touches and receptions. While Lynch is young, so is Jackson, and he isn't facing potential league discipline for run-ins with the law. Even without that, I still view Lynch as a 15-18 type back in a ppr league.

yep, only 5 years and 2 months between the two

:doh:

I don't get Steven Jackson that high. The guy has had one great season in five years, and he can't stay on the field now.

Games Yards TDs Rec Rec yds Rec TDs

14 673 4 19 189 0

15 1046 8 43 320 2

16 1528 13 90 806 3

12 1002 5 38 271 1

12 1042 7 40 379 1

They are so far removed from being the same team, system and coach from 2006 (and earlier), that there's just no comparison or reason to think that even if he returned to form that he would have any chance of approaching those numbers. Does anyone really believe he's going to have a 1,400 10 TD 50 Rec 500 Rec Yds year this year? Or multiple times in the future for dynasty or keeper leagues?

Whether you like him or not, Reggie is a ppr STUD. I know he has been hurt the past two seasons and he is a gamble because of the injury prone label he is earning, BUT...if he stays healthy, there are probably only four or five guys I'd rather have than him in a dynasty ppr. He is young, ultra-talented and catches the equivalent of a short td run per game, plus the coaching staff in New Orleans is always trying to find ways to get him the ball in space. He is proving a knack for finding the end zone (nearly a td per game in '08), and his ceiling is a lot higher than many of the guys above him on your rankings. I'd put him where you have Marshawn and hope for the best.

I'd go even further and say if everyone was healthy, in a PPR league I would take Bush over ANYONE - He's a lock for 80+ receptions, and was actually on pace last year for like 120. That translates to approx. 1,000 yards and 6-10 TDs. I know his running isnt great, but he has the luxury of playing in quite possibly the greatest offense in football, where DEFs can't key on the run. Say 200 carries (if healthy), for another 800-1,000 yards and 6-10 TDs. That means he's going for 1,800-2,000+ total yards, 12-16 TDs (plus returns) AND 100 CATCHES...

Unfortunately, he just can't stay healthy

Turner is too low. 1699 yards behind a suspect O-line that became a solid unit as the season progressed.Along with Ryan having a year under his belt. Gonzo added to help in passing game as well as becoming a solid blocker for Turner . Not to mention the additions in the draft Do not overlook Turner to repeat 2008 or do better. Facts are facts,everyone was down on Turner because he hasn't proved to carry a full load. He's done that...He's a top 5 back period.

I'd go even further and say if everyone was healthy, in a PPR league I would take Bush over ANYONE - He's a lock for 80+ receptions, and was actually on pace last year for like 120. That translates to approx. 1,000 yards and 6-10 TDs. I know his running isnt great, but he has the luxury of playing in quite possibly the greatest offense in football, where DEFs can't key on the run. Say 200 carries (if healthy), for another 800-1,000 yards and 6-10 TDs. That means he's going for 1,800-2,000+ total yards, 12-16 TDs (plus returns) AND 100 CATCHES...

Unfortunately, he just can't stay healthy

And that's the thing. He can't stay healthy. I'm not spending a first or 2nd round pick on a guy who's gonna play half a season.

yep, only 5 years and 2 months between the two

:headbanger:

Poor choice of wording on my part, but my point remains...instead of young, I should have said fresh (3 seasons pro for Jackson, 2 for Lynch)...But yeah, Jackson is older :doublethumbsup: