Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

Tony Romo

Are you guys still talking about this? :lol:

NFL players. Both stars and scrubs have lives outside of football. They do all kinds of things. Some play golf. Some love bowling. They go on vacations all the time. They love some pool or poker.

Some have huge families with three and four kids. Do you know how much time and dedication that takes in the off season?

Tony Romo paying golf and getting the opportunity of a lifetime and maybe qualifying for some kind of tournament is absolutely, positively no big deal whatsoever. It's one of the funniest things I have ever read on here (and that is saying a lot).

There are other things you can rag on Romo for. Stick to those and stop piling on with non-sense.

Obviously, the issue is more perception than reality. Since Romo hasn't succeeded at the end of seasons or in the playoffs and yet chooses to publicly try his hand at another professional sport, the perception is he isn't putting enough work in to win as a football player. If he goes to, or wins the super bowl, he will get far less flack if he tries to make the US Open. Peyton Manning could try to qualify for the US Open and no one would have a problem with it. Prior to his super bowl victory, he would probably have gotten the same type of scrutiny Romo is getting now.

When Romo misses a mandatory camp, or practice, or game. Wake me up.

And how do you know he isn't working out right now? Do you hold this same standard to every player in the league. McNabb hasn't won a title. Are we making sure he is in the weight room in the offseason with the new players or with a psychologist? What about 90% of the other QB's in the league. Romo is a polarizing figure on a polarizing team so he gets crap like this. It's stoopid.

I would argue that being un-married with no kids and playing even 6 hours of golf a day for a month or two is far less dedication than a player being at home with 3 kids or something like that. Do you also think that married players need to be isolated so they can work out 24/7?

I mean, not to act like I am somebody, but have you guys ever hung out with a professional sports figure at all? If you have you would see how dumb you guys sound. The word fan comes from Fanatic. We fans are really jaded when it comes to stuff like this.

Ya'll are funny.

I would agree with you unless the player in question has a history of taking off on foreign vacations with his girlfriend during the bye week of the playoffs and then choking in the ensuing game.

I think that it is probably a little overblown, but Romo knows that being the QB of the Cowboys comes with it a lot of scrutiny. Feeding that beast is a very bad idea.

I think that you are confusing a casual round with your buddies a few times a week with qualifying for the US Open. It requires a lot of preparation and the qualifying rounds are typically multi-day events. Just to make yourself not look like a fool out on the course takes a lot of practice on the range, putting, and on the course.

If I were the Cowboys, I would certainly be asking him to spend that time in the weight room, with the new players, or with a sports psychologist. :banana:

oh boy I am agreeing with a Pats fan :unsure:

This is exactly what I have been trying to say.. this isnt a casual round of golf someone does as a hobby. Qualifying for the US Open is no joke and SHOULD take months of preparation if not years. Trying to qualify for any PGA Event is a job in itself and Romo is trying to qualify for another as well.

Trust me, I know first hand.

KSB: I usually agree with you on most stuff and I actually agree with what you are saying (he hasnt missed anything mandatory or injured himself etc etc) but I think you are underestimating the amount of time and preparation it should take for what he is trying to do. In my opinion it takes as much time or more than preparing for a full NFL season. So is Romo half assing his football prep or his golf prep? It has to be one.

This is exactly what I have been trying to say.. this isnt a casual round of golf someone does as a hobby. Qualifying for the US Open is no joke and SHOULD take months of preparation if not years. Trying to qualify for any PGA Event is a job in itself and Romo is trying to qualify for another as well.

In my opinion it takes as much time or more than preparing for a full NFL season. So is Romo half assing his football prep or his golf prep? It has to be one.

Here is a quote from Romo at the qualifying event:

"I hadn't played golf in a week or so, and if you're trying to get your golf game in shape that's not enough," Romo said. "It comes and it goes."

The guy is taking a shot at prolly a lifelong dream since he has the opportunity. As of now it is not impeding anything to do with football. Until it does you guys are just wildly speculating crap and piling on since Romo is a polarizing player for the Cowboys. Plain and simple.

The guy is taking a shot at prolly a lifelong dream since he has the opportunity. As of now it is not impeding anything to do with football. Until it does you guys are just wildly speculating crap and piling on since Romo is a polarizing player for the Cowboys. Plain and simple.

im not really speculating anything. He is doing what he is doing and im giving my opinion on it.

That Romo quote only furthers my feelings that he has no place trying to do it. I might be a little biased as someone who has worked in the golf industry and grew up playing the game.

The US Open, as a major open to any golfer able to qualify is certainly a dream for any avid golfer. But throw in the fact Romo is attempting to qualify for another PGA event and I just don't agree with what he is doing. It's just my opinion that he is either spending too much time focusing on his golf game at the expense of football (most likely not the case because of that quote) or he is not spending an adequate emount of time preparing for these golf events. Which may not seem like a big deal to most, but im sure it is to the amatuer golfers spending months and years getting ready for them.

also it has nothing to do with it being Romo. Ive owned him on many fantasy teams. I would feel the same way if this were just about any pro player.

When Romo misses a mandatory camp, or practice, or game. Wake me up.

And how do you know he isn't working out right now? Do you hold this same standard to every player in the league. McNabb hasn't won a title. Are we making sure he is in the weight room in the offseason with the new players or with a psychologist? What about 90% of the other QB's in the league. Romo is a polarizing figure on a polarizing team so he gets crap like this. It's stoopid.

I would argue that being un-married with no kids and playing even 6 hours of golf a day for a month or two is far less dedication than a player being at home with 3 kids or something like that. Do you also think that married players need to be isolated so they can work out 24/7?

I mean, not to act like I am somebody, but have you guys ever hung out with a professional sports figure at all? If you have you would see how dumb you guys sound. The word fan comes from Fanatic. We fans are really jaded when it comes to stuff like this.

Ya'll are funny.

KSB2424 I do not disagree with your point but to compare Romo to McNabb is a joke. Romo is not close to the QB McNabb is.

KSB2424 I do not disagree with your point but to compare Romo to McNabb is a joke. Romo is not close to the QB McNabb is.

I didn't mean to come off as comparing them like that per se. Just that both were good QB's that have yet to win one. That was all. I was getting the impression that a main reason why people had a problem with Romo playing Golf was that he should be 'hungry' for a championship and thus working out like 24/7 like a madman in the offseason. My point was that 90% of QB's also fall into that category. Where is the outrage and why are we not following them around in April and May. I mean God forbid McNabb takes his family to Europe or something for a month and doesn't hit the weights 6 days a week with his new teammates....in April.

I think the most telling thing about this whole thing is not that he tried to qualify, but that he didn't really prepare to qualify. I mean, to not golf for a week before the event, how important was it for him to qualify? He even admits that he was not prepared to play. So what was he doing the week before the event that interrupted his preparation for a lifetime dream? If it was a mini-camp, then I understand that (although I probably wouldn't have gone to the qualifying if football interrupted my preparation). If it wasn't football, then what was more important?

Whatever his preparation is for football or golf, in the big games or events, he has not performed well. I don't think he understands yet that talent alone will not get it done.

Whatever his preparation is for football or golf, in the big games or events, he has not performed well.

The whole Romo is a choke artist thing is over-blown anyway.

There are two main games that he is regarded as choking. One of them he fumbled a snap on SPECIAL TEAMS. Not at QB where he played well enough to win the game, but on SPECIAL TEAMS. I don't consider that "choking".

The game that Dallas lost to the Giants whom went on to win it all, late in that game Romo threw a laser to Patrick Crayton full stride in the middle of the field for the go-ahead probable game winning score. Crayton dropped the pass. The pass was right on target in his bread basket. Dallas loses and Romo is called a "choker".

So let's recap. Romo sucks as a QB and is a choker because he fumbled a snap on Special teams and Patrick Crayton dropped a perfectly thrown ball. See how dumb that sounds when you really break it down?

That is the truth. However the perception perpetuated by Giants, Philly, Redskin, Niner, and Steeler fans is that he chokes as it is fun to pile on and ride the guy as he is a polarizing figure and plays for the Cowboys.

Reality does not equal this hater perception. itsatip

my reality is that i would have the same reaction to any QB in the NFL.. doesn;t really matter that it is Romo aside form the funny fact that he continually does things that make him seem less interested in football success. You would think he would learn by now that playing in that market brings extra scrutiny.

but my stance that he shouldnt be trying to qualify for PGA events has nothing to do with who he is.

I dont care how fat she is now. I'd still bend over Jessica Simpson and tear her fat ass apart!!!

:D

:shocking:

There are two main games that he is regarded as choking. One of them he fumbled a snap on SPECIAL TEAMS. Not at QB where he played well enough to win the game, but on SPECIAL TEAMS. I don't consider that "choking".

The game that Dallas lost to the Giants whom went on to win it all, late in that game Romo threw a laser to Patrick Crayton full stride in the middle of the field for the go-ahead probable game winning score. Crayton dropped the pass. The pass was right on target in his bread basket. Dallas loses and Romo is called a "choker".

So let's recap. Romo sucks as a QB and is a choker because he fumbled a snap on Special teams and Patrick Crayton dropped a perfectly thrown ball. See how dumb that sounds when you really break it down?

That is the truth. However the perception perpetuated by Giants, Philly, Redskin, Niner, and Steeler fans is that he chokes as it is fun to pile on and ride the guy as he is a polarizing figure and plays for the Cowboys.

I am not trying to argue with you but I do see things a little differently. If someone wants to call it choking or not it doesn't matter.

1. On the fumbled snap: I don't see the fact that he fumbled as being important it is what he did after the fumble. When he got tackled, after he picked up the ball and ran, he tucked the ball in instead of reach for the first down. It was 4th down so even another fumble would have been better than coming up short. A 1st class QB would have understood this and not come up short to end the game.

2. On the NYG game. Romo's clock management skills were terrible; Dallas got the ball at the NYG 48 with 1:50 left. With only 16 seconds left Romo only got them to the NYG 23. I know there were dropped passes and penalties but his clock management skills sucked. I still remember him arguing a call with the refs while the clock was running.

Tony Romo is not talented enough to carry a team on his back but his is good enough to lead a run first team to the SB. I just wonder how long it will take Dallas to figure that out. The Dallas fans I know are hoping it is this year.

Reality is that his record in December since becoming the starter is 5-8. Of course not all of that falls on Romo, but his winning % in non-december/january games is great. That's the reality here. If people extrapolate that into a "choker" lable, I think there's at least something there to substantiate it.

I mean God forbid McNabb takes his family to Europe or something for a month and doesn't hit the weights 6 days a week with his new teammates....in April.

Maybe McNabb has earned the right to do that. He has won playoff games and has taken his team to a SB.

Romo has not.

Besides, you're a little off on the workout thing. McNabb's earned the right to work out on his own, and brings out his receiving group to his house in Arizona for passing workouts. Besides, have you ever seen the size of McNabb's arms? Obviously he works out. Romo - not so much.

Wait until you see him this season. He's prolly dropped about 10-15 pounds, and looks real good.

I am not trying to argue with you but I do see things a little differently. If someone wants to call it choking or not it doesn't matter.

1. On the fumbled snap: I don't see the fact that he fumbled as being important it is what he did after the fumble. When he got tackled, after he picked up the ball and ran, he tucked the ball in instead of reach for the first down. It was 4th down so even another fumble would have been better than coming up short. A 1st class QB would have understood this and not come up short to end the game.

2. On the NYG game. Romo's clock management skills were terrible; Dallas got the ball at the NYG 48 with 1:50 left. With only 16 seconds left Romo only got them to the NYG 23. I know there were dropped passes and penalties but his clock management skills sucked. I still remember him arguing a call with the refs while the clock was running.

Tony Romo is not talented enough to carry a team on his back but his is good enough to lead a run first team to the SB. I just wonder how long it will take Dallas to figure that out. The Dallas fans I know are hoping it is this year.

Well said.

And part of it has to do with media perception. The media in general have made Romo the de facto leader and focal point of that team.

It's always the QB and head coach who get the praise or the scrutiny.

IMO, if Dallas had the Tuna back on the sidelines, they'd be a SB contender, because the team is built on defense and a solid running game.

First, I never said "choke", I said he is not prepared. There is a difference. I also was not just refering to the lost playoff games but how he has performed down the stretch in December. I think the fact that he is 5-8 as a starter in December with the talent he has had around him speaks volumes. Yes, he is not solely responsible for the poor record down the stretch (Wade Phillips is a terrible coach when the games really mean something) but he has contributed.

I really am not trying to bash Romo. I just think objectively, he has not shown the talent he exhibits early in the season down the stretch when the games really matter. I think lack of preparation is the reason for that. If we disagree, fair enough.

First, I never said "choke", I said he is not prepared. There is a difference. I also was not just refering to the lost playoff games but how he has performed down the stretch in December. I think the fact that he is 5-8 as a starter in December with the talent he has had around him speaks volumes. Yes, he is not solely responsible for the poor record down the stretch (Wade Phillips is a terrible coach when the games really mean something) but he has contributed.

I really am not trying to bash Romo. I just think objectively, he has not shown the talent he exhibits early in the season down the stretch when the games really matter. I think lack of preparation is the reason for that. If we disagree, fair enough.

Look no farther that the Philly game last year. That was a 6 year pro at QB there really can't be any excuses.

Sorry, but I can't laugh at a guy who gets to bang Jessica Simpson. That one achievement makes up for everything else in his life.

I'm sure that Romo does what he needs to do. Weight room, attend films with coaches, mini camps, etc.

What he doesn't do is live and breath football, like the Peyton's and Brady's of the world.

There is obviously something wrong with his game, because he's annually folded at the end of the season. One would think he would look into that, change things up, or maybe it's just that he doesn't work hard enough. Maybe they give him too much of the offensive burden to handle and he can't handle it over the long haul?

I'm sure that Romo does what he needs to do. Weight room, attend films with coaches, mini camps, etc.

What he doesn't do is live and breath football, like the Peyton's and Brady's of the world.

There is obviously something wrong with his game, because he's annually folded at the end of the season. One would think he would look into that, change things up, or maybe it's just that he doesn't work hard enough. Maybe they give him too much of the offensive burden to handle and he can't handle it over the long haul?

I think this is most of it.

How do you know this? Are you buddies with Romo or do you play on the team? TIA

The Manning's and Brady do all kinds of stuff in the offseason. They go on vacations, do charities, go on TV, shoot commercials, Brady has cologne lines and crap, hell Peyton played with Tiger the other weekend at a golf tournament himself.

Romo dates a famous girl and plays golf in the off season and you make the leap to "He doesn't live for football".

You guys crack me up. :dunno:

wow...this thread is still going? it must be the slow offseason fo shore! what's next, 25 pages on what an exciting time it is to be a seahawks fan???

:ninja:

The Manning's and Brady do all kinds of stuff in the offseason. They go on vacations, do charities, go on TV, shoot commercials, Brady has cologne lines and crap, hell Peyton played with Tiger the other weekend at a golf tournament himself.

Romo dates a famous girl and plays golf in the off season and you make the leap to "He doesn't live for football".

When a QB implies that winning the SB is not that big of a deal that conclusion comes very easily.

When a QB implies that winning the SB is not that big of a deal that conclusion comes very easily.

It could also be that whatever Brady and Manning are doing, it is working. They have the track record with positive results. I think that, whatever Romo is doing, is not really working out as well as his teammates would like. :dunno:

It's been discussed many times by sports writers about how much time Brady, Peyton, spend on watching film...in the offseason.

Romo may, Romo may not. I have never seen anyone ever report on it.

And Brady/Peyton Manning have earned the right to do all kinds of stuff in the offseason, which is the arguement being made here.

The perception of Romo is that he spends alot of his free time doing non-football related things. He's never won a playoff game. He's faltered at the ends of seasons.

No one here ever said he doesn't live for football, or he needs to live for football. Anywhere. You made that up yourself.

The question is that with so many failures and underachievements in his career to date, and considering his golf aspirations in the off-season, is the guy committed enough to being a successful QB (in a team sense)?

Fair question. Making assumptions that everyone thinks he should live and breath football just makes you an apologist for Romo.

It could also be that whatever Brady and Manning are doing, it is working. They have the track record with positive results. I think that, whatever Romo is doing, is not really working out as well as his teammates would like. :rolleyes:

:dunno:

Thank you.

It's been discussed many times by sports writers about how much time Brady, Peyton, spend on watching film...in the offseason.

Romo may, Romo may not. I have never seen anyone ever report on it.

And Brady/Peyton Manning have earned the right to do all kinds of stuff in the offseason, which is the arguement being made here.

The perception of Romo is that he spends alot of his free time doing non-football related things. He's never won a playoff game. He's faltered at the ends of seasons.

No one here ever said he doesn't live for football, or he needs to live for football. Anywhere. You made that up yourself.

The question is that with so many failures and underachievements in his career to date, and considering his golf aspirations in the off-season, is the guy committed enough to being a successful QB (in a team sense)?

Fair question. Making assumptions that everyone things he should live and breath football just makes you an apologist for Romo.

I agree. Good Post

It could also be that whatever Brady and Manning are doing, it is working. They have the track record with positive results. I think that, whatever Romo is doing, is not really working out as well as his teammates would like. :dunno:

So where is the offseason 'what are they doing in their spare time' threads on McNabb, Palmer, Brees, Shaub, Rivers, Delhomme, Rodgers, Cassell, Ryan, Hasselback, Bulger, Garrard, ect., ect.? They need to be in the weight rooms this off season since they haven't won the big one yet either. Right? Or do they have the "love" of the game like Brady and Manning we just haven't seen it? :rolleyes:

So where is the offseason 'what are they doing in their spare time' threads on McNabb, Palmer, Brees, Shaub, Rivers, Delhomme, Rodgers, Cassell, Ryan, Hasselback, Bulger, Garrard, ect., ect.? They need to be in the weight rooms this off season since they haven't won the big one yet either. Right? Or do they have the "love" of the game like Brady and Manning we just haven't seen it? :pointstosky:

I can only address Aaron Rogers he is known around GB for his work ethic.

Aaron Rodgers

Has spent his first three seasons learning under Favre as his backup while continuing to grow as a leader in his own right, particularly during the team's offseason program

Has now participated in Mike McCarthy's offseason quarterback school three consecutive years while handling his share of reps leading the No. 1 offense during OTAs and other workouts

Has earned the faith and trust of his teammates by his daily work ethic and practice habits, elements he translated into an admirable performance in relief of Favre last season

http://www.packers.com/team/players/rodgers_aaron/

So where is the offseason 'what are they doing in their spare time' threads on McNabb, Palmer, Brees, Shaub, Rivers, Delhomme, Rodgers, Cassell, Ryan, Hasselback, Bulger, Garrard, ect., ect.? They need to be in the weight rooms this off season since they haven't won the big one yet either. Right? Or do they have the "love" of the game like Brady and Manning we just haven't seen it? :headbanger:

McNabb's dropped weight this off-season and has annually held a team passing camp at his house in Arizona. It's well documented.

Nice generalization, though. :pointstosky:

So where is the offseason 'what are they doing in their spare time' threads on McNabb, Palmer, Brees, Shaub, Rivers, Delhomme, Rodgers, Cassell, Ryan, Hasselback, Bulger, Garrard, ect., ect.? They need to be in the weight rooms this off season since they haven't won the big one yet either. Right? Or do they have the "love" of the game like Brady and Manning we just haven't seen it? :overhead:

im not a fan of what this thread has turned in to....

i still say its idiodic for Romo to be involving himself in the type of golf that should be taking months if not years to prepare for. The main argument im seeing by Romo supporters is that he isn't spending much time preparing for these golf events he is trying to qulify for, therefor his football prep is not suffering. To me, that is then a slap in the face to the people who take PGA qualifying seriously.

just doesn't seem like he has his priorities straight.

what he and the rest of the nfl qb's do in their spare time is their business, but if something similar comes out in the media about another QB, you can bet i'll comment on it.

im not a fan of what this thread has turned in to....

i still say its idiodic for Romo to be involving himself in the type of golf that should be taking months if not years to prepare for. The main argument im seeing by Romo supporters is that he isn't spending much time preparing for these golf events he is trying to qulify for, therefor his football prep is not suffering. To me, that is then a slap in the face to the people who take PGA qualifying seriously.

just doesn't seem like he has his priorities straight.

what he and the rest of the nfl qb's do in their spare time is their business, but if something similar comes out in the media about another QB, you can bet i'll comment on it.

This seems to be his MO

So where is the offseason 'what are they doing in their spare time' threads on McNabb, Palmer, Brees, Shaub, Rivers, Delhomme, Rodgers, Cassell, Ryan, Hasselback, Bulger, Garrard, ect., ect.? They need to be in the weight rooms this off season since they haven't won the big one yet either. Right? Or do they have the "love" of the game like Brady and Manning we just haven't seen it? :thumbsdown:

Let me know when those guys are spending their time getting ready for the US Open or some other event of that magnitude and I am sure that there will be a thread on it. Romo gets a lot of grief and, even if you don't think that it is fair, the reality is that he brings it all on himself.

What a bunch of clueless morons. You don't know what playing football means to Romo. He fockin' locked himself in his house for over a week after their playoff loss to Seattle and was very depressed. Since then he's made comments that people don't like as they seem to allude to the fact that it's just football. Well it's probable that he's trying to protect himself from getting to down about the losses. The guys on Sirius NFL radio said that Romo cares about football and is dedicated to football and they can't believe all of the crap he's getting out of trying to play in the U.S. Open and say that it is not a problem at all and that most QBs have things outside of football and that is actually a good thing....it's called life balance...some of you may want to try that. :thumbsdown:

What a bunch of clueless morons. You don't know what playing football means to Romo. He fockin' locked himself in his house for over a week after their playoff loss to Seattle and was very depressed. Since then he's made comments that people don't like as they seem to allude to the fact that it's just football. Well it's probable that he's trying to protect himself from getting to down about the losses. The guys on Sirius NFL radio said that Romo cares about football and is dedicated to football and they can't believe all of the crap he's getting out of trying to play in the U.S. Open and say that it is not a problem at all and that most QBs have things outside of football and that is actually a good thing....it's called life balance...some of you may want to try that. :headbanger:

once again, acting like US Open qualifying is just recreational golf at the local club. or a vacation or something. :thumbsdown:

i realize alot of people have turned this into a "romo doesn't care about football" thread. I personally don't think him locking himself in his house after a playoff loss shows a huge drive and passion for the game. Plenty of people get overly down on themselves because they expect to be the best without working toward it. I'm not syaing thats Romo, I'm just saying.....

and if you are going to call people clueless morons, you should stop to think what amatuers and club pros put into preparation for qualifiers like the US Open and how it looks when some Pro of another sport casually decides he's going to do it for hobby.

the reality is that he brings it all on himself.

Brings what on himself? Living his life as he sees fit in the OFFSEASON? It's already been established he isn't dedicating his entire time to golf. Try to keep up. He's a football player making a half ass attempt to try and make a tournament. Geebus people. It's no different than any other NFL player doing anything else in the offseason that takes up a little time.

Romo doesn't bring anything like this particular "situation" on himself. It's the accountants and basement dwelling football fantatic sheeple posting on message boards that bring ridiculous stuff like this up and spin it using hyperbole and hypocrisy. Get a clue.

You guys are killing me with this. :thumbsdown:

What a bunch of clueless morons. You don't know what playing football means to Romo. He fockin' locked himself in his house for over a week after their playoff loss to Seattle and was very depressed. Since then he's made comments that people don't like as they seem to allude to the fact that it's just football. Well it's probable that he's trying to protect himself from getting to down about the losses. The guys on Sirius NFL radio said that Romo cares about football and is dedicated to football and they can't believe all of the crap he's getting out of trying to play in the U.S. Open and say that it is not a problem at all and that most QBs have things outside of football and that is actually a good thing....it's called life balance...some of you may want to try that. :thumbsdown:

Brings what on himself? Living his life as he sees fit in the OFFSEASON? It's already been established he isn't dedicating his entire time to golf. Try to keep up. He's a football player making a half ass attempt to try and make a tournament. Geebus people. It's no different than any other NFL player doing anything else in the offseason that takes up a little time.

Romo doesn't bring anything like this particular "situation" on himself. It's the accountants and basement dwelling football fantatic sheeple posting on message boards that bring ridiculous stuff like this up and spin it using hyperbole and hypocrisy. Get a clue.

You guys are killing me with this. :headbanger:

Since I am not a Cowboy fan I can say that what ever he is doing works for me.

You guys are killing me with this. :pointstosky:

who is using hyperbole?

and you have posted over 13 thousand times on this message board and you are supporting him, there goes that theory! :pointstosky:

meh anyways.... time to let this thread die. Those who cry "leave Tony alone!" won't look much past the notion of "offseason" anyway.