Sign in to follow this  
sky21

No Suspension for Matt Jones.

Free agent Matt Jones to avoid suspension (Rotoworld)

The player rep for free agent Matt Jones says the NFL has notified him that Jones will not be suspended for violating a court-mandated drug program in March. The agent says Jones only has to pay a $50,000 fine. If so, Jones should find work quickly. He's easily the best young receiver on the market. "He caught 65 passes in 12 games last year for the Jaguars and he was their No. 1 receiver," agent Dave Butz pointed out. "If he wasn't hurt one game and didn't have the three-game suspension, he may have caught 80 to 90 balls."

:music_guitarred:

Free agent Matt Jones to avoid suspension (Rotoworld)

The player rep for free agent Matt Jones says the NFL has notified him that Jones will not be suspended for violating a court-mandated drug program in March. The agent says Jones only has to pay a $50,000 fine. If so, Jones should find work quickly. He's easily the best young receiver on the market. "He caught 65 passes in 12 games last year for the Jaguars and he was their No. 1 receiver," agent Dave Butz pointed out. "If he wasn't hurt one game and didn't have the three-game suspension, he may have caught 80 to 90 balls."

:music_guitarred:

Hey Butz, that is the point, he was suspended.

He's easily the best young receiver on the market

didn't have the three-game suspension, he may have caught 80 to 90 balls."

:music_guitarred: :unsure:

Um.....Um

Good decision by the commish. It was positive for alcohol on a random urine sample resulting in a parole violation. The sample was taken after a benefit golf tourney. Apparently a number of people in his party said he had only two beers.

I think he could be a decent #3 WR in PPR leagues if he lands in the right situation.

As someone who owns him in a deep dynasty league i would like to see him go to the jets, Bears, or Browns. I think that the Lions or St Louis are also possible landing spots, but i dont want to see him go there.

Good decision by the commish. It was positive for alcohol on a random urine sample resulting in a parole violation. The sample was taken after a benefit golf tourney. Apparently a number of people in his party said he had only two beers.

If you are in the NFL drug program I would think this would be a big deal. Two beers??, what's the point. The point is he has an addiction problem that is not under control.

Interesting......where do you think he would fit well?

I am certainly not a Dallas homer, but do think that he could put up some very good #'s as a Cowboy with a real QB and opposite a real WR (Yes, I do think Roy Williams is a legit WR1 this season).

Palmer and his Bungles could prolly use him too.

Interesting......where do you think he would fit well?

I am certainly not a Dallas homer, but do think that he could put up some very good #'s as a Cowboy with a real QB and opposite a real WR (Yes, I do think Roy Williams is a legit WR1 this season).

Palmer and his Bungles could prolly use him too.

Dallas has spent the off season purging the team of "troubled" players. I doubt they want to start loading up again.

I think the Bears have a hole at WR, and the Cutler Jones combo would be a good one.

If you are in the NFL drug program I would think this would be a big deal. Two beers??, what's the point. The point is he has an addiction problem that is not under control.

I gotta agree with ya. If I'm being paid millions per year, I think I could forgoe the gratutious beer on the golf course to get past my issues. He made his own bed, so lay in it, and make your millions.

I looked up his stats for every game he's ever played. He's not that good for fantasy purposes even as a WR1 on his team.

I looked up his stats for every game he's ever played. He's not that good for fantasy purposes even as a WR1 on his team.

Look at the system he was playing in. It's all about which team signs him.

I think he has tremendous upside in the right situation, ie Dallas, Chicago.

I agree with you, in most leagues he is not that fantasy relevent, 14 team leagues with ppr that can start 3 or 4 WR's, he is worth owning, and probably will be starter worthy if he lands in a good spot.

Look at the system he was playing in. It's all about which team signs him.

I think he has tremendous upside in the right situation, ie Dallas, Chicago.

Didn't he join the Jaguars right after Jimmy Smith left? Jimmy Smith put up huge stats year in and year out and ranks very high in WR final statistics.

regardless of witnesses, two beers won't make you fail a blood alcohol test a dozen hours later. That's left your system long ago.

Does anyone know how many beers you need to fail a test the day after?

I can appreciate those who have their doubts about Jones......to say that he has "had his struggles" is perhaps an understatement.

However, in 10 starts (12 games) last season, he managed 761/2.....which is not outstanding....but not terrible either (76 yards/game start).

Bottomline, the potential is there in the right system. He still has great speed for a big guy, and his hands and route running have improved substantially since his conversion to WR.

If he ends up in a pass-friendly system, I will be taking a late round flier on him, for sure. Could do much worse with a WR3.

He also caught 65 passes in those 12 games I believe. That projects to almost 90 for a 16 game season. He could be a PPR monster in the right system if he keeps his heas screwed on straight (which I think he will)

BTW, I got him as a 'throw-in player' in a larger trade I made. It may turn out to be a nice 'sweetener'.

He also caught 65 passes in those 12 games I believe. That projects to almost 90 for a 16 game season. He could be a PPR monster in the right system if he keeps his heas screwed on straight (which I think he will)

BTW, I got him as a 'throw-in player' in a larger trade I made. It may turn out to be a nice 'sweetener'.

Why, because he screwed up his probation?

if he is addicted to booze, the fact that he stopped after only 2 beers leads me to believe he does have control.

I dont know of too many people with drinking problems who can go out, have only 2 or 3 beers and stop & go home. The people I know with drinking problems go out have one or two beers, decide they are okay and grab another, and then 8 or 9 beers later, they're starting a fight with someone or driving like a madman on the freeway (or something else)

the point is that he violated his parole. I agree it's not a major violation, but he does need to abide by the rules of his probation. I think the 3 games served are fair. I expect that the reason he was released was due to past problems, and perhaps the fact that he was a distraction. There may be other issues in the dressing room we were unaware of as well.

While the legal problems were the official reason he was released, there may be some unofficial reasons that may have affected the decision as well.

if he is addicted to booze, the fact that he stopped after only 2 beers leads me to believe he does have control.

I dont know of too many people with drinking problems who can go out, have only 2 or 3 beers and stop & go home. The people I know with drinking problems go out have one or two beers, decide they are okay and grab another, and then 8 or 9 beers later, they're starting a fight with someone or driving like a madman on the freeway (or something else)

the point is that he violated his parole. I agree it's not a major violation, but he does need to abide by the rules of his probation. I think the 3 games served are fair. I expect that the reason he was released was due to past problems, and perhaps the fact that he was a distraction. There may be other issues in the dressing room we were unaware of as well.

While the legal problems were the official reason he was released, there may be some unofficial reasons that may have affected the decision as well.

I didn't say he was addicted to alcohol. He is a substance abuser and he will get a high from what ever source he can, Matt has a problem.

If you don't have a substance abuse problem you don't drink two beers and break your probation. I doubt this is the first and only time.

By the way you don't know how many beers he had. "Two drinks/beers" is the standard lie for all alcohol abusers. Ask a cop what the most common answer is in DUI stops.

I didn't say he was addicted to alcohol. He is a substance abuser and he will get a high from what ever source he can, Matt has a problem.

If you don't have a substance abuse problem you don't drink two beers and break your probation. I doubt this is the first and only time.

By the way you don't know how many beers he had. "Two drinks/beers" is the standard lie for all alcohol abusers. Ask a cop what the most common answer is in DUI stops.

It was my understanding that there were witnesses that said he had 2 beers.

not that I care all that much, other than to say he should have abided by his probation. that much I agree on. and I doubt the court would have imposed this restriction on the guy if alcohol wasnt a problem in the past.

but I think you're making more of this situation than is warranted.

It is also worth noting that it has been shown that some problem drinkers can learn to drink socially without becoming a mess. I cant say that this is the case with Mr. Jones as I do not know him personally, but the fact that someone saw him drink a beer and he got tested and got caught is one thing. If he was starting fights, getting into barroom brawls, or doing other bad things, that would be another issue entirely (in my mind)

to me, all this means is that if I'm a football team thinking about signing the guy, I'd scrutinize his behaviour more than I would for other players. And I'd probably conduct some interviews with ex teammates and coaches to determine if the potential benefit outweighs the risks.

After all, when I was his age, I did a few stupid things (usually involving alcohol) so you do have to allow for a guy to make some mistakes. And If a guy shows he's made some changes in his life a second chance is warranted.

Personally, I dont think the team got rid of him because of this incident. (I wouldnt). This incident alone is not severe enough to warrant releasing a receiver on pace to catch 80 balls a year.

It would be other past incidents and possibly dressing room issues that would be the cause of his release.

That's what I'm saying.

He celebrated his non suspension by doing a rail of coke 10 yards long. :pointstosky:

Why, because he screwed up his probation?

Absolutely! I never would have received Jones as a 'throw-in' sweetener if the other owner thought he'd have much value this year. On the other hand, I had reason to hope that Jones would miss only a few if any games due to suspension (I figured 2-3 gamws at most), and that he could well have some decent value.

I'm hoping that he goes somewhere he can shine as a possession receiver. He's not the sharpest crayon in the box, and he did not buckle down and learn Jacksonville's play book at all his rookie year. Sometimes knowing that you may never get another chance, plus a change of scenery is just what is needed to jolt a player to grow up and take life and his profession more seriously.

I hope so - for his sake, and (selfishly) for the sake of my fantasy team.

Matt Jones has been fairly productive but you have to wonder if his head will ever be screwed on straight. I'm thinking no, but you never know.

Matt Jones has been fairly productive but you have to wonder if his head will ever be screwed on straight. I'm thinking no, but you never know.

Is anyone spending a 5th rounder on the guy? Why argue about it. He will go in the 13th round and someone will hope he pans out. If he doesn't, then he gets dropped and is sitting with Bobby Engram on the waiver wire.

Waaaay too early to say that. If he goes to da Bears, for instance and looks great in camp and the pre-season, I'll be targeting him in redraft league for somewhere from round 7 to 10. He'd be a great possession target for Cutler. Nobody ever doubted his talent and it started to show last year.

You can't automatically peg a guy as 'round 13' this early (unless maybe you are talking about a top-flight kicker - although the earliest I've ever taken a kicker is round 14).

There isn't one FF relevant fact in this thread actually. He was a boarder 3 WR at most, was hyped upped after Smith retired and

never lived to the hype.

If I recall, he was caught with a snow plow on in vehicle in Florida

:o

Assuming he admitted any drug problem, or alcohol mixed, his probation mandated mandatory D&A classes.

He got burned on a random test, his fault, and from knowledge, with most drug addictions, avoiding alcohol

is a very good start. (just from the people you hang with).

Since he is more high profile than most people, this makes news..blah, It's a daily fact of life, unfortunately.

There isn't one FF relevant fact in this thread actually. He was a boarder 3 WR at most

You mean kinda like Roddy White and Antonio Bryant a season ago? "Was" is the key word in your statement.....fantasy success is achieved by those who can decipher the "is", and even better yet, the "will be".

As for no FF relevant facts in this thread, you might glance back at posts 18 and 19.

I agree with you that he has certainly underachieved thusfar but, again, the future is what we strive to ascertain.

Cheerio........ :o