Sign in to follow this  
Carl Eller's Dead Liver

My 3 WR sleepers this year

Avery - in clutch FF time.

Week 12: 1 reception, 12 yards

Week 13: 0 recptions, 0 yards - yes he did play this game

Week 14: 2 recpetions, 18 yards - week 1 of fantasy playoffs

Gag me with a spoon. NO THANK YOU! Avery is way too inconsistant for my liking....yes he was a rookie, but you are so overrating him.

IgetabigwoodyforAvery...

I live in St. Louis and think I'm qualified to speak on Avery.

The Pros: He will be THE man now in St. Louis with Holt gone. He ran the fastest 40 of any WR at the combine last season. He finished the season strong and has the confidence of the new regime. The Rams have a VASTLY improved offensive line, meaning Bulger will have more time to throw and Avery will have more time to use his speed. He has been at all of the offseason workouts and has looked incredible. He is incredibly intelligent and a coach's dream.

The Cons: He is very thin, about 185 pounds. He will not have any other WR's to help take the pressure off him. If the Rams truly become a running team, Avery will not be utilized enough to be effective as he is a down the field receiver, NOT an over the middle guy. He had nagging injuries all season last year, which could be a sign of things to come. Bulger doesn't have the arm strength to hit him in stride down-field.

I think Avery will top out at about 70 catches this season with 5/6 TD's. The Rams have a tough schedule, which greatly benefits Avery. We will be playing from behind in many games, so Donnie will have the opportunity to catch some passes.

In 2009, I believe he will be a decent WR3 with upside.

Love the Earl Bennett pick.

Cutler was pushing Denver to draft Bennett in last year's draft after playing with him at Vandy. The two are back together and already have chemistry together from playing back at school together. Can't beat that start.

Another somewhat popular pick, but I do like Chaz Schilens.

I live in St. Louis and think I'm qualified to speak on Avery.

The Pros: He will be THE man now in St. Louis with Holt gone. He ran the fastest 40 of any WR at the combine last season. He finished the season strong and has the confidence of the new regime. The Rams have a VASTLY improved offensive line, meaning Bulger will have more time to throw and Avery will have more time to use his speed. He has been at all of the offseason workouts and has looked incredible. He is incredibly intelligent and a coach's dream.

The Cons: He is very thin, about 185 pounds. He will not have any other WR's to help take the pressure off him. If the Rams truly become a running team, Avery will not be utilized enough to be effective as he is a down the field receiver, NOT an over the middle guy. He had nagging injuries all season last year, which could be a sign of things to come. Bulger doesn't have the arm strength to hit him in stride down-field.

I think Avery will top out at about 70 catches this season with 5/6 TD's. The Rams have a tough schedule, which greatly benefits Avery. We will be playing from behind in many games, so Donnie will have the opportunity to catch some passes.

In 2009, I believe he will be a decent WR3 with upside.

Sounds like a pretty fair assessment of the sitchyation...

M. Floyd of the San Diego Chargers.

He's on my Dynasty team along with another high potential guy for this year:

Mike Walker JAX

Avery - in clutch FF time.

Week 12: 1 reception, 12 yards

Week 13: 0 recptions, 0 yards - yes he did play this game

Week 14: 2 recpetions, 18 yards - week 1 of fantasy playoffs

Gag me with a spoon. NO THANK YOU! Avery is way too inconsistant for my liking....yes he was a rookie, but you are so overrating him.

IgetabigwoodyforAvery...

I don't want to turn this into an Avery thread, but he was a rookie WR last season and rookie's producing in their first season is a rare thing. His numbers were very nice for a rookie and he has skill. You haven't argued any facts just keep repeating that he'll bust (and you may be right when all is said and done but some real discussion would be nice).

Here are some numbers you left off, because they didn't fit your argument I guess:

Week 14: 2 reception, 18 yards

Week 15: 6 recptions, 61 yards, 11 rushing yards

Week 16: 5 recpetions, 56 yards

Week 17: 5 receptions, 40 and a TD

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...rDo00_games.htm

So he was helpful down the stretch. Just because he had a poor game during fantasy playoffs doesn't mean he had a bad rookie season. That's a very random method of determining if some player was good or not.

I don't want to turn this into an Avery thread, but he was a rookie WR last season and rookie's producing in their first season is a rare thing. His numbers were very nice for a rookie and he has skill. You haven't argued any facts just keep repeating that he'll bust (and you may be right when all is said and done but some real discussion would be nice).

Here are some numbers you left off, because they didn't fit your argument I guess:

So he was helpful down the stretch. Just because he had a poor game during fantasy playoffs doesn't mean he had a bad rookie season. That's a very random method of determining if some player was good or not.

I'm confused. Shouldn't this discussion be aimed at Burton vs Robinson?

I was looking at his stats. the page you quoted has him at only 186 lbs. is that last year's weight? or his current weight. I'd feel more confident in him if he weighed closer to 200 lbs. Then I'd think he'd at least be able to fight off the Jam coverage when it comes his way.

any opinions on this?

I was looking at his stats. the page you quoted has him at only 186 lbs. is that last year's weight? or his current weight. I'd feel more confident in him if he weighed closer to 200 lbs. Then I'd think he'd at least be able to fight off the Jam coverage when it comes his way.

any opinions on this?

He's not big at all. 186 was last year's weight and I doubt he bulked up much. His speed makes him a tough jam though, since if he gets by the DB back he's not getting caught - therefore he usually gets a cushion. There are many WRs that play at similar weight effectively.

Like I said I'm not trying to run this into an Avery love fest. I just didn't see how one could say Lauranet Robinson was a special talent while Avery was trash.

When it comes to ability and potential, yeah, you can't ignore the capability a WR shows in just two games making it apparent that he can play and play well.

However, in FF, cliche or not, statistical outliers are valid and relevant. If two players score you 200 points a season with one doing 150 points in four games and the other doing it pretty evenly throughout the season... who would you want on your FF team?

Dude was a ROOKIE WR. All you're looking for are flashes that he can play in the league. Check.

Love the Earl Bennett pick.

Cutler was pushing Denver to draft Bennett in last year's draft after playing with him at Vandy. The two are back together and already have chemistry together from playing back at school together. Can't beat that start.

Another somewhat popular pick, but I do like Chaz Schilens.

I don't get it. The guy played in 10 games in '08, and caught exactly 0 passes. How is that even possible? Dunno, but I'm not drafting a guy who's never even caught an NFL pass. I'll be watching how Rasheid Davis looks in camp though. The guy kills the Vikes every year, and might put up some decent numbers with a better QB.

Other guys I'll be watching this summer: Davone Bess/Greg Camarillo....probably not a lot of TDs, but should rack up 5,6,7 receptions each game going for about 50-60 yards.

Same with Harry Douglas. The guy had more of an impact in the return game last year, but he could turn into a sneaky slot guy....although he'd be low in the pecking order behind Turner/White/Gonzo/Jenkins.....by the way, Michael Jenkins......can we consider him a sleeper? I like him as a sneaky WR3 possibly.

Josh Morgan. The Niners actually have some receiving options...Crabtree/Hill/Morgan/Davis. Morgan showed flashes last year, and is definitely worth a look late.

Mike Walker. Somebody has to catch the ball in JAX....not sure how much Holt has left.....and he showed some flashes last year.