Sign in to follow this  
BirdBradyBobbyOrr

Good Luck Plaxico you got the shaft

The American people have to be the dumbest people on earth; there is no getting around this.

Everytime I read a Giants fan, BBBO, or phurfur post this exact thought pops into my head. <_<

I absolutely detest mandatory sentences. They leave no room for discretion from the judge; you know, the legal expert overseeing the case who knows all of the details.

That being said, people need to realize that such laws are in place not so much to punish the defendant, but to act as a disincentive for the future. Laws incentivize behavior. The death penalty, for instance, is best defended as a disincentive. Similarly, kidnapping alone (without murder) is typically not a capital crime, because if it were, the kidnappers would often kill their victims when things turned bad (why not? there is nothing to lose).

So while I think on an individual basis, Plax got the shaft, I also think that there a lot of wannabee gangstas who are thinking twice about taking a loaded gun into a club.

I absolutely detest mandatory sentences. They leave no room for discretion from the judge; you know, the legal expert overseeing the case who knows all of the details.

That being said, people need to realize that such laws are in place not so much to punish the defendant, but to act as a disincentive for the future. Laws incentivize behavior. The death penalty, for instance, is best defended as a disincentive. Similarly, kidnapping alone (without murder) is typically not a capital crime, because if it were, the kidnappers would often kill their victims when things turned bad (why not? there is nothing to lose).

So while I think on an individual basis, Plax got the shaft, I also think that there a lot of wannabee gangstas who are thinking twice about taking a loaded gun into a club.

Mandatory Sentences are a good thing, and they are NOT mandatory. They just give leverage for negotiations.

If a Mandatory Sentence for what plax did is 3 yrs and he only got 2 then I guess 3 really isnt mandatory.

Plax got what he deserved, be stupid goto jail. Hell put all the stupid people in jail, better yet send em all to Canada

Mandatory Sentences are a good thing, and they are NOT mandatory. They just give leverage for negotiations.

If a Mandatory Sentence for what plax did is 3 yrs and he only got 2 then I guess 3 really isnt mandatory.

Fair enough; I admit to not knowing how a "mandatory sentence" can be reduced. It seems to me that in that case, it is not so much "mandatory." :thumbsup:

I don't think anyone is saying he shouln't have been arrested, got into legal trouble, and be considered a dumbass. No shiit sherlock :overhead:

The question is whether shooting yourself in the leg from a concealed weapon that was registered (just in a different state) and was shown to the nightclub bouncers a crime that is punishable by 3 years in prison (reduced to 2 via plea bargin).

Especially when you compare contrast other laws in NYC and accross the country where actual people are dead and the sentencing is less than that.

We understand what the law says, we just say the law is stupid. Has nothing to do with how old a guy is or if he has a family or any of that crap.

Oh forget it......

Well, I believe his registration had expired...meaning, it was no longer registered in any state.

And again, laws in other states for other things are irrelevant...perhaps those laws should be increased?

Im all for gun ownership...but responsible gun ownership.

Everytime I read a Giants fan, BBBO, or phurfur post this exact thought pops into my head. :overhead:

I rest my case!

Before we shed a tear for Plaxs kissing his family good bye. There are hundreds of American service men that say good bye to there families every day before being shipped off to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Before we shed a tear for Plaxs kissing his family good bye. There are hundreds of American service men that say good bye to there families every day before being shipped off to Iraq or Afghanistan.

There are allot of people that have their priorities screwed up.

What does that have to do with anything? Of course in the big scheme of things and in a world view perspective the men and women of the military should be thought of first. :mad:

Nobody is 'crying' for Plaxico. We are discussing the merit of the gun law in NYC and how it pertains to this case/sentencing. Is that okay with you?

Maybe we should all quit playing games like fantasy football so we can focus on serious issues around the world. :overhead:

If you feel you have to carry an unlicensed firearm where you're going, you should probably go somewhere else or better yet, stay home (with wife and kids).

You're right. I don't think anyone ever said Plaxico did a smart or a legal thing. It was stupid on his part. So I'm not sure your point. :lol:

Not making any excuses whatsoever, but did you know that Plaxico's teammate (at the time) and good friend Giant WR Steve Smith was robbed at gun point just one week before the Plaxico incident?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3739206

You're right. I don't think anyone ever said Plaxico did a smart or a legal thing. It was stupid on his part. So I'm not sure your point. :lol:

Not making any excuses whatsoever, but did you know that Plaxico's teammate (at the time) and good friend Giant WR Steve Smith was robbed at gun point just one week before the Plaxico incident?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3739206

That's EXACTLY my point. Keep the gun registered and/or hire a goon to have a licensed firearm with you. That and if you feel you may be targeted just stay the fock home.

That's EXACTLY my point. Keep the gun registered and/or hire a goon to have a licensed firearm with you. That and if you feel you may be targeted just stay the fock home.

But why are you trying to still make that point? Nobody is arguing with you. Nobody ever said what Plaxico did was okay? Everyone agrees that is was stupid. You're talking in circles.

The discussion is whether the law and subsequent mandatory sentencing of 3 years (plea'd to 2 years) fits the crime. Most say it doesn't. Most people feel this law/sentencing is too harsh a penalty for the crime in question. Especially when you compare/contrast it to other types of criminal activity.

heres the question i ask --is plaxicos crime worse then

PAC-MAN JONES conviceted or not....NO

STALLWORTH...man killed................NO

MIKE VICK.......dogs killed...............NO

but then plax is sent to rikers island....one of the worst jails in the country...unfair----YES...

that being said plax should do time, why not a cushy bid like vick ??? he is being made an example of !!!

i think if any pro athlete gets convicted of a felony they should NOT be allowed to play pro sports again..along with that wheres the examples that are made of congressmen or senators when they FUK-UP...i havent seen one yet.....so basically the guys who make and enact these MAN-MADE laws are imune to them.....UNFAIR------HELL YES..

What if the bullet had hit and killed someone else rather than him? His sentence would have been far more severe. The difference between the two scenarios is luck and luck alone. I don't think someone should be given leniency or a slap on the wrist because of something outside of their control. The punishment fits the crime.

What if the bullet had hit and killed someone else rather than him? His sentence would have been far more severe. The difference between the two scenarios is luck and luck alone. I don't think someone should be given leniency or a slap on the wrist because of something outside of their control. The punishment fits the crime.

Its luck and luck alone that someone isnt killed everytime a driver gets into a car and drives drunk yet dwi's occur all the time in new york. the maximum penalty for a dwi first offense is 1 year jail time, usually much much less.

What Plax did was stupid and cannot be condoned. but the punishment does seem severe or at the very least not consistent with other punishable crimes.

But why are you trying to still make that point? Nobody is arguing with you. Nobody ever said what Plaxico did was okay? Everyone agrees that is was stupid. You're talking in circles.

The discussion is whether the law and subsequent mandatory sentencing of 3 years (plea'd to 2 years) fits the crime. Most say it doesn't. Most people feel this law/sentencing is too harsh a penalty for the crime in question. Especially when you compare/contrast it to other types of criminal activity.

No it's actually a different way of expressing the same point that seems to keep going over your head. Don't do the crime if you don't want the time which is why I said he should have stayed the fock home. EVERYONE agrees he's stupid, but MOST people HERE think he deserves what he got for the crime HE committed. It's called a deterrant. They make an example of the offenders with the understanding it should let people know this is not acceptable and you WILL pay for it. With Plax they had a great opportunity to show they're going to be tough on CRIMINALS with maximum exposure. :headbanger:

The constitution guarantees the right to bear arms and the Government is trying to take that right from us. Me they'll take my weapons from my cold dead fingers and not a moment earlier.

I feel bad for Plaxico, I feel bad for his fans, I wish him the best and hope he makes a comeback.

The constitution was written when people lived in small towns, road around on horses, and lit their homes with lanters. Trying to apply this outdated document to every facet of modern society is retarded.

Plaxico is a thug fock, who deserves everything that's coming to him. One more moron without a gun walking around my community.

Hell put all the stupid people in jail, better yet send em all to Canada

I thought that's what's we've been doing. :unsure:

and if you don't live in NYC it is none of your business.

and if you don't live in NYC it is none of your business.

Do what? :shocking:

So we can only discuss things that happen in the city or state we live in? Can I talk about the Eagles since I don't live in PA or is it none of my business? :unsure:

What about Philip Rivers? He used to play in the state I live but moved out west. Can I still discuss him on this message board. Is this allowed? Am I 'Grandfathered in' to talking about him? What's the ruling here Phurfur?

heres the question i ask --is plaxicos crime worse then

PAC-MAN JONES conviceted or not....NO

STALLWORTH...man killed................NO

MIKE VICK.......dogs killed...............NO

but then plax is sent to rikers island....one of the worst jails in the country...unfair----YES...

that being said plax should do time, why not a cushy bid like vick ??? he is being made an example of !!!

i think if any pro athlete gets convicted of a felony they should NOT be allowed to play pro sports again..along with that wheres the examples that are made of congressmen or senators when they FUK-UP...i havent seen one yet.....so basically the guys who make and enact these MAN-MADE laws are imune to them.....UNFAIR------HELL YES..

Even better question I ask you.

IS Plaxico's crime at all related to theirs? NO.

Is plax's crime in the same state's as theirs? NO.

Does the sentencing those guys got (or with pac did not get) have anything to do with Plaxico and NY gun laws? NO.

Why compare them...they are not the same...they did not happen in the same place...they have nothing to do with one another.

Why compare them...they are not the same...they did not happen in the same place...they have nothing to do with one another.

Because we are taking a macro look at the law/sentencing in this case. We are comparing and contrasting this punishment and crime with other punishments and crimes both in NYC and the rest of the country. We are seeing if it passes the common sense test, and it doesn't.

Everybody understands what the exact gun law is in NYC, we understand 'why' he was sentenced as he was. We are just saying that this law should be changed because the punishment is too harsh for the crime in question. We are questioning the law/sentencing. We are not questioning 'why' Plaxico got the 2 years.

Not sure why this continues to fly over your head? :shocking:

Do what? :shocking:

So we can only discuss things that happen in the city or state we live in? Can I talk about the Eagles since I don't live in PA or is it none of my business? :shocking:

What about Philip Rivers? He used to play in the state I live but moved out west. Can I still discuss him on this message board. Is this allowed? Am I 'Grandfathered in' to talking about him? What's the ruling here Phurfur?

Sorry, why don't you start a campaign to change the gun laws in NYC? I am sure their are plenty of people in your area that will join your cause. :shocking:

Sorry, why don't you start a campaign to change the gun laws in NYC? I am sure their are plenty of people in your area that will join your cause. :lol:

Very strange retort. So you have nothing really to add but an unfunny joke? I'll take that as you waiving the white flag.

KSB - 1

Phurfur - 0

:first:

Because we are taking a macro look at the law/sentencing in this case. We are comparing and contrasting this punishment and crime with other punishments and crimes both in NYC and the rest of the country. We are seeing if it passes the common sense test, and it doesn't.

Everybody understands what the exact gun law is in NYC, we understand 'why' he was sentenced as he was. We are just saying that this law should be changed because the punishment is too harsh for the crime in question. We are questioning the law/sentencing. We are not questioning 'why' Plaxico got the 2 years.

Not sure why this continues to fly over your head? :first:

The problem is common sense says 2 different states...2 different crimes...2 different pleas...2 different laws makes them idiotic to compare.

And common sense would say Stallworth should get more...not Plax should get less because Stallworth pleaded guilty to a "lesser crime" than Plax did.

The problem is, you are using Florida law and what Dante pled guilty to as a reason that Plax should get less or that law should be less. And that is not common sense...its idiotic.

And I know why that continues to fly over your head.

Very strange retort. So you have nothing really to add but an unfunny joke? I'll take that as you waiving the white flag.

KSB - 1

Phurfur - 0

:first:

This is not a contest, I just can't figure out why you are so upset about a gun law in a place you don't live?

You think Buress got screwed and I think Stallworth, Little, etc. got off easy. That is the only difference here.

The problem is common sense says 2 different states...2 different crimes...2 different pleas...2 different laws makes them idiotic to compare.

And common sense would say Stallworth should get more...not Plax should get less because Stallworth pleaded guilty to a "lesser crime" than Plax did.

The problem is, you are using Florida law and what Dante pled guilty to as a reason that Plax should get less or that law should be less. And that is not common sense...its idiotic.

And I know why that continues to fly over your head.

I threw a really tight spiral and you still couldn't catch it :lol:

Dude, the majority of people's opinion about this is different than your opinion. Just deal with it. :first:

I threw a really tight spiral and you still couldn't catch it :lol:

Dude, the majority of people's opinion about this is different than your opinion. Just deal with it. :first:

Dude...the majority of the people keep trying to compare apples to oranges to decide things...I guess I will have to deal with the majority being an ignorant mass.

This is not a contest, I just can't figure out why you are so upset about a gun law in a place you don't live?

You think Buress got screwed and I think Stallworth, Little, etc. got off easy. That is the only difference here.

Who's upset? It's a message board where we talk about topics. I don't know Plaxico and could really care less, I just find the topic intresting. Something relevant to discuss besides answering 'Who should I start?' questions. Doesn't mean I "care". I'm discussing a topic, covered nationally, about a football player, on a football message board. Is that okay with you?

Who's upset? It's a message board where we talk about topics. I don't know Plaxico and could really care less, I just find the topic intresting. Something relevant to discuss besides answering 'Who should I start?' questions. Doesn't mean I "care". I'm discussing a topic, covered nationally, about a football player, on a football message board. Is that okay with you?

I guess the fact that you started a new thread on the subject shows you have more than a casual interest in the NYC gun laws and Plaxico.